PDA

View Full Version : Black Flys in Souther VT and NH?

sirbingo
06-06-2006, 09:36
What's up Y'all?

I'm going to do a one day overnight hike in southern NH or VT this weekend (not sure where exactly yet?) and I'm wondering how the current Black Fly conditions are in those area?

Anybody know?
:-?

JJB
06-06-2006, 09:45
I was over near Killington last week. They were out but not to the point of distraction. A little bug dope should do the trick. I was fortunate in the fact that the temps were cooler at night so I think that must of kept them down a little. But I would not a "few" bugs stop me.

sirbingo
06-06-2006, 10:00
Thanks JJB!

Blue Jay
06-06-2006, 10:11
It's really a crap shoot. It's been avery cold spring and they've been pushed back. If it stays cool and you're away from streams it should be fine. If it gets warm where you are, you may get eaten. I'd bring a head net and tent.

emerald
06-06-2006, 22:08
I probably have the link wrong. I really need to donate and get editing priviledges. Had I checked the link after posting, I could have fixed it.

I wanted to call to your attention 2 posts in a thread I participated in this weekend just past that relate directly to your question. I should have given you the links to the specific posts anyway, which I realized after posting.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=206404&postcount=7

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=206520&postcount=10

You may want to PM SideWedge and Poison Ivy who have just been hiking on the Long Trail for detailed information.

I'm guessing you might be better off at higher elevations, particularly above treeline or other more exposed areas where you might catch some wind. Maybe you'd be better off in New Hampshire?

Dances with Mice
06-06-2006, 23:21
And remember: Father's Day (http://www.amazingflygun.com/main.asp)is coming up.

SideWedge
06-07-2006, 10:49
I was just did a section of the northern LT (around Rt. 2 in Jonesville) and the black flies were really really bad...some of the worst I've seen. Along with the mosquitoes expect to be bitten so frequently you might end up a little bit crazy! And I hate to break it to you, but the forcast calls for rain up until Saturday night, which means that by Sunday the bugs will be even worse.

With that said, while I got attacked during the day, its been cool enough at night to sleep without getting eaten alive. Maybe plan on spending your nights at higher elevations, and bring along the DEET (Natrapel did squat). Have fun!

Blue Jay
06-07-2006, 12:07
With that said, while I got attacked during the day, its been cool enough at night to sleep without getting eaten alive. Maybe plan on spending your nights at higher elevations, and bring along the DEET (Natrapel did squat).

DEET to a blackfly is like catsup on a hotdog to us.

Chef2000
06-10-2006, 11:54
I was in the whites on Mem day weekend and got bit by a few, bfore I applied the 100% DEET. I am leaving for the LT on Sunday the 18 and expect to deal with many bugs.

Dust
06-10-2006, 15:37
Black flys? Hav yu bin too skul?

The plural of fly is flies.

TJ aka Teej
06-10-2006, 16:03
I climbed Mt Jefferson (OK, not southern NH) on Weds, at the 3000' trailhead the blackflies were thick. Then they all drowned.

Get a life, Gramma Coach.