PDA

View Full Version : Tent Floors

Footslogger
06-06-2006, 11:02
Was always a fan of having sewn in floors on my tents. Currently own a Tarptent and a Lunar Solo-e and both have bathtub style floors.

But after experiencing the slip/slide of my mat on the silnylon floors (and yes I know all about putting drops/lines of silnet on the floor or mat) I'm starting to wonder if they're really worth it. Plus, I carry a piece of tyvek anyway as a ground cloth under the tent floor.

Would be interested in hearing from those who use the lighter weight shelters without floors as to their experiences. Been giving some thought to losing the floor and just using a piece of tyvek between me and terra firma with the hopes that the noseeum mesh hanging down on the sides and in the tent doorway will keep out the creepy crawlies.

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-06-2006, 11:25
You might try this before going floorless (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/)

Footslogger
06-06-2006, 11:36
You might try this before going floorless (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/)
=========================
Thanks ...but been there, done that. Sounds good in principle but doesn't work as well as you might think. In order for that idea to work there needs to be fairly well distributed weight across your mat. What happens in actual practice is that you have heavy "spots" but they are not well enough distributed over the entire mat. The result is that if there is any slope under the tent your mat WILL either pivot or slide.

Anyhew ...thanks for the reference. I'll read it over and see if there is anything I did wrong when I attempted that approach.

In the meantime I would still like to get some feedback from hikers with floorless light weight shelters.

'Slogger

Alligator
06-06-2006, 12:00
Unless there's flying biting insects, I don't even bother bringing netting for my tarp. That would leave nasties like ticks and chiggers. I avoid setting up in high grass, preferring to use more hardened sites. One time I did get chiggers at a somewhat overgrown site. I think it was more from walking through the vegetation in Waldies w/o socks though, as the problem was confined to my feet. I haven't had any problems with ticks.

During flying bug season, I bring a rectangular cot net. This drapes well over my tarp entrance setup tepee style. Before settling down, I do a mosquito check for the night. I do this in a tent though too.

As for ants, millipedes, and the like, they will get through. Not in any great numbers mind you. They're more scared of you than you are of them though:) . The daddy long legs however, can be pretty fearless...

Bottom line, I do a very good job of keeping out the nuisance biting insects, haven't had any problems with mammals or reptiles, and I have learned to coexist with our more innocuous forest friends.

Footslogger
06-15-2006, 08:46
=======================================
OK ...so I took another shot at this approach. Used a little thicker mixture this time and treated both of our Lunar Solo-e's. Floor does seem a bit "tackier" but the test will be in a couple weeks when we hike Gorham to Rangeley.

Will report on the outcome following return from that hike.

'Slogger