PDA

View Full Version : Cades Cove/Spence Field/Russel Field/Rtn

CaptChaos
06-06-2006, 21:40
Hello all:

Well, the time has come for me to be employed again and I have to get one more trip in before I start work. They have two weeks vacation but it might take a year to earn it.

Sometime next week I am going to do the trip that I always do one last time. I will leave from the Cades Cove ranger station and head up to Spence, over to Russell and back down to Cades Cove. I want to get to Spence early so that I can make it to Rocky Top for some pics.

I hope to find more information about the 2nd water source that I have told you all about in my post before at Russell Springs shelter. I know that a work crew went past the spring at Russell and had a real good source for water but I have never been able to find it.

I will be taking a lot of pics this time so I hope to be able to report some more if I can find the water source this time. The weather looks good right now for next week so wish me luck.

If anyone is going by that way then please let me know so that I can find you or at least visit with you on my trip. You can PM me on WhiteBlaze if you are going to be in the area.

Capt Chaos

Rebel, with a Cause!
06-06-2006, 23:28
Hello, Rebel with a Cause here. I live near the Smokies and know the route your talking about. BTW, my son is also Capt Chaos, who hiked the AT in 2005 :)

Send me an email and ill give you my phone number to call.

jdeane@chartertn.net

And yes I know where the water is :) And so do the Horses !!

If you Face the Russell Field Shelter, follow the trail that goes downhill to your Right, you cant miss it. This trail also goes to Cades Cove and crosses the stream. The trail is named: Russell Field Trail :)

I figure that you will go from Cades Cove up Anthony Creek trail, to Bote MT Trail, then to the AT. Continue up the AT to Rocky Top, return by the same route, but turn left on the AT to Spence Field Shelter. Continue on the AT South to Russell Field Shelter, then turn right onto Russell Field Trail, back down to Anthony Creek trail, and back to Cades Cove

This trip is about 14 miles total and a bit hard to do in one day, but its a nice one. The climb up to the AT will drain you some, after that its great.

Let me know by email when you plan to go and ill see if I can make the trip also.

Have fun

SGT Rock
06-07-2006, 10:44
Hey Rebel,

Hope you and your family are doing good. When I get back from this trip we need to go hiking together again.

CaptChaos
06-07-2006, 15:54
Hey Sgt Rock:

Give me to about 11:00 p.m. next Monday night local time at Spence Field and that vision of a drink being had in your honor will be me sitting around the fire.

Hope you are doing well. I have not had a chance to write much but with this new job out of town I should have more time to do my e-mails and send letters.

John "Capt Chaos" Knight

SGT Rock
06-07-2006, 16:04
You're on. I think I can throw a "Welcome Back" hike for anyone in the area. Something simple like maybe up on the mountain north of Cades Cove, I can't remeber the name exactly at this time. But some whiskey and maybe some Cuban cigars and a nice fire.

SGT Rock
06-07-2006, 16:07
Oh yes, Scott Mountain. Nice Campsite up there.