PDA

View Full Version : Getting an Early Start

MrHappy
06-06-2006, 23:32
Hi everyone.

I understand that it requires a certain amount of insanity just to think about doing a thru-hike, and much more insanity to actually do it. I am surrounded by insane people here. However, I still seem crazy, even relatively.

I am planning on starting my thru hike in Georgia on New Years Eve, 2006/January 1st 2007. It's also my birthday on the 31st, so double trouble.

How do I plan on hiking in winter? I'm quite experienced. I've done overnight winter hiking in the white mountains (including a summit of washington) but I've never been out for more than 3 days/2 nights -- granted those 2 nights were -25 farenheit. It will mean going a lot slower, and carrying a lot more gear (2x the fuel, a 0 degree sleeping bag, 4 season tent, warmer clothing, snowshoes, and a lot of chocolate).

So I was just wondering if
a) Anybody here is crazy enough to try it with me, since I don't like the idea of going completely alone
and b) Am I tooo crazy? Is this completely impossible?

gardenville
06-07-2006, 00:04
If you do this you may be surprised at the party you will find going on at Springer Mt New Years Eve. They happen every year and one is planned for 2006/2007 Eve.

Check out Trail Journals .com. There a few who start real early every year.

Bayou
06-07-2006, 00:25
Was hiking in PA-NY this year in March and April meet "Will Call" who started his thru-hike on 1/3/06. He was doing a average 20mpd. He and I talked about services not available alone his and my trip, like shuttles to town, hostels closed, camp grounds closed and the worst water sources, like farces turned off and water pumps that did not work, because the handles were gone. And at one spot the a shelter was closed for repair.

Also, trails are in there worse shape just before spring.

So not only look out for the weather, but other problems also.

max patch
06-07-2006, 00:36
I certainly wouldn't do it. Although I'll state up front that people do start in January. And a few always want to be "the first" so they start on 1/1.

It will be cold. And while you will probably have some snow in GA you can pretty much count on hiking in the rain. Cold rain. Probably every day unless you get lucky.

Make it to the Smokies and you should plan on contending with deep snow. Maybe you'll be lucky and miss it. But plan for it.

Got plenty of money? You'll take more zero days in town as you wait out bad weather.

But the worst reason to start so early is you'll finish too early. Unless you are a really slow hiker you'll miss hiking in New England in the Fall.

I'm not saying it can't be done. It can and people every year do it. I'm just saying that you will have a much more enjoyable hike if you wait till Spring.

The Solemates
06-07-2006, 11:08
no problem. as long as you have the mental fortitude, not a problem. we started feb 1. if we do the trail again, we will start jan 1 or as late as mid-may.

The Solemates
06-07-2006, 11:10
I certainly wouldn't do it. Although I'll state up front that people do start in January. And a few always want to be "the first" so they start on 1/1.

It will be cold. And while you will probably have some snow in GA you can pretty much count on hiking in the rain. Cold rain. Probably every day unless you get lucky.

Make it to the Smokies and you should plan on contending with deep snow. Maybe you'll be lucky and miss it. But plan for it.

Got plenty of money? You'll take more zero days in town as you wait out bad weather.

But the worst reason to start so early is you'll finish too early. Unless you are a really slow hiker you'll miss hiking in New England in the Fall.

I'm not saying it can't be done. It can and people every year do it. I'm just saying that you will have a much more enjoyable hike if you wait till Spring.

we did have that much rain. lots and lots of snow, yes. we had 3 major snowstorms that dumped over a foot each and several minor snowstorms. money should not be an issue. we didnt wait out storms. we trudged through. services not being open will be an issue, however, but not that big of one.

Footslogger
06-07-2006, 11:14
Is the January start designed to get you to Katahdin earlier in the year ?? Reason for asking is that the going will be a bit slower with snow covered trails.

The time you'll gain on the front end with the earlier start date MAY end up delivering the benefit on the back end.

Just a thought ...

'Slogger

hammock engineer
06-07-2006, 11:33
If you start that early, wave at me as I pass you going south. By the time I get my school work done and start SOBO, it will be late July. That puts me at Springer sometime in December or January.

Finishing on 1/1/07 could be fun though.

MrHappy
06-08-2006, 00:10
I'm thinking about this for a couple of reasons, but the most important one is that I need to finish before August 07, since I'll be going to school, and if I could finish before June, it would be ideal, giving me some time to recuperate funds before starting college.

Thanks for all of the answers! It sounds like it is going to be very possible. I have a few more questions:

Will a tent (4-season) be nesecary? If not, I'd save a lot of money and more importantly, weight. If shelters aren't open it could be a problem.

mtnbums2000
06-08-2006, 00:27
You don't need a 4 season tent. I've hiked in the winter in the Ga., N.C., and the smokies using a North Face Tadpole. I have a North Face VE-25 (4-season) and never even thought about taking it. If it got to cold I would put my tent up in the shelter. I always used a 0 degree bag and stayed toasty even in some snow storms.

Have fun and yup it can and has been done before.

The Solemates
06-08-2006, 10:02
I'm thinking about this for a couple of reasons, but the most important one is that I need to finish before August 07, since I'll be going to school, and if I could finish before June, it would be ideal, giving me some time to recuperate funds before starting college.

Thanks for all of the answers! It sounds like it is going to be very possible. I have a few more questions:

Will a tent (4-season) be nesecary? If not, I'd save a lot of money and more importantly, weight. If shelters aren't open it could be a problem.

4 season tent is not necessary. we carried the mtn hrdr waypoint II. i would probably take the new tarptent double rainbow. there is a thread on wb about it and it looks like a great tent.

The Solemates
06-08-2006, 10:03
If it got to cold I would put my tent up in the shelter.

dont do this unless no one is at the shelter, AND no one is expected to show up.

mtnbums2000
06-08-2006, 18:30
The Soulmates is right only set up your tent in the shelter if there is not anyone already there or if you know that you are going to be alone.

Sorry I should have mentioned that...

MrHappy
06-11-2006, 12:10
As for a sleeping bag... The down bags look lighter and warmer and cheaper, but they would never dry if they got wet. I've seen a few down bags in my price range that have a waterproof lining.. does anybody know if this works or should I just go synthetic?

chicote
06-12-2006, 08:34
The water proof shells work. If you are careful you won't get the bag wet. I have a Mountain Hardwear 10 degree bag with a waterproof shell and I think it is overkill - all though I could poor a bucket of water on it and it would still be dry. I'd make sure to get one that will be warm and comfortable enough. Then pack it well so it won't get wet.

tevaitzi
06-12-2006, 16:02
My birthday is 1/1. I've given a bit of thought to starting on that day. I like the idea of trail culture and that would be missed with such an early start, but if I knew how your planning was going I'd reconsider.

MrHappy
06-15-2006, 17:04
Well so far the planning is going pretty well, but I'm at the very early stages. I haven't even started looking at re-supply options yet.

gardenville
06-15-2006, 21:04
I have been trying to get enough time off over New Years for the past several years to attend Ed Speer's Hammock Hanging Event on Springer Mtn 31Dec/1 Jan.

I have had several problems the last couple of years that would not give me enough time to make it worth the drive from south Texas up to Georgia.

I maybe able to swing it this year. I think I need somewhere between 30 and 45 days to make it worth the trip. This would give me enough time to hike from Springer Mtn to Erwin, TN - 339 miles (30 days +/-) or to Damascus, VA - 459 miles (38 to 40 days +/-). This is a modest mileage of 12 miles a days more or less. With good weather higher daily mileage should be possible but the days are going to be short and and I am not sure I want to be hiking and setting up camp after dark. Pushing on to a Shelter for an hour or so just after dark might not be to bad, however I don't think I would do something like that alone.

MrHappy
11-16-2006, 17:16
I've gotten much farther in the planning process.

For the winter weather, I'm taking a 3-season bivy, a 0 degree down bag, and plenty of fleece/polypro. For food, i'm going to go with a Jetboil and mail drops with FBC packs that I'm preparing now.

I'll start Jan 1st, and at the very latest finish July 1st.

RockyTrail
11-16-2006, 18:22
If it got to cold I would put my tent up in the shelter. I always used a 0 degree bag and stayed toasty even in some snow storms.

I've never camped a tent in a shelter (and don't plan to), but would this actually be colder than on the ground? Wind underneath, kind of like bridges that freeze before solid ground? The walls would be a windblock I'm sure.