PDA

View Full Version : Carver's Gap to Sam's Gap hike - any suggestions?

buzzsaw
06-07-2006, 11:44
Hi all,

We're getting ready to take a week-long section hike this year and I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on where to camp besides what we have laid out. The mileage falls sorta funky with the shelters and campsites and we end up having some short days. I was just wondering if there were some campsites along the way that I didn't know about that would help us recalibrate the days.

Our hiking style is usually 10-12 miles a day. We love to stop and look and take it all in since it's our annual trip.:sun

Day1: Drive 6 hours to Erwin, shuttle to Carver’s Gap – hike to Roan High Knob 1.5 miles.

Day2: Greasy Creek campsite – 8.3 miles

Day3: Deep Gap – 11.2 miles

Day4: Mountain Shelter – 7.9 miles

Day5: No Business Knob Shelter – 10.5 miles

Day6: Campsite 10.2 miles

Day7: Sams Gap – pickup point 8.0mi - find a room in town for overnight
Rice Gap is 3.6 miles farther and has road access. We could stop there.

Day8: Drive back to the cubical farm to make "The Man" more money. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance....

Teatime
06-08-2006, 06:49
I'll be doing Indian Grave Gap to Dennis Cove on 6/10 - 6/13. Maybe I'll see you on the trail.

buzzsaw
06-08-2006, 10:25
Unfortunately, we won't be hiking at the same time. Out group won't hit the trail until the 19th.

DiamondDoug
06-08-2006, 12:40
Not sure if the extra 3.6 to Rice gap gets you over Big Bald, but if it does, it would be worth it.

Sly
06-08-2006, 16:41
It's not necessary to stay at established campsites and shelters. Pick up water and hike a little further to places like Roan Mt, Beauty Spot, on the Nolichucky and Big Bald, if at all possible.

Miss Janet
06-08-2006, 21:59
Day #4 Mountian Shelter?? Do you mean Curly Maple?

buzzsaw
06-09-2006, 09:59
Day #4 Mountian Shelter?? Do you mean Curly Maple?

Yeah, that was a mistranslation from the book accompanied by a typo :P It is indeed Curley Maple Shelter. Thanks.

Local
06-09-2006, 12:49
It's not necessary to stay at established campsites and shelters. Pick up water and hike a little further to places like Roan Mt, Beauty Spot, on the Nolichucky and Big Bald, if at all possible.

What Sly said. The beauty of this area is getting away from the crowds. We've never stayed in a shelter and I've been hiking this area for 30 years or more. There are plenty of basic campsites if you have a free-standing tent or are hammocking. A Thermarest will let you sleep anywhere.