PDA

View Full Version : Georgia AT Maps

mdevinc
06-07-2006, 16:11
Hey guys,
I live in Cleveland Ga, about 15 miles from the AT. I recently started day hiking on the AT and surrounding trails and was wanting to buy some maps of the areas. They would be helpful because I like to see what mountains I am on and where exactly I am as I am hiking.

I found a book located here, http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=62&compid=1 but I have a question about it. I read some people have a 2006 version of the at book? Do they have updated books for the sections or is it just 2004? The link above is for a 2004 version. It is probably all I will need for quite a while so this is why I am looking at this book.

Do you recommend this book for what I am trying to accomplish? I just really want the maps, but would be nice to read the book too.

Also, is this a topo map or would I have to order that from someplace else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

max patch
06-07-2006, 16:28
Buy it. Its a good first book to own for the trail in GA and NC.

2004 may very well be the current edition of the book. The guidebooks get updated a couple times every decade or so.

The book I use is 20 years old or so so I can't speak specifically as to the 2004 edition, but mine includes maps with topo and an elevation guide. I suspect that hasn't changed.

The book is worth its price for the trailhead directions alone. I own all the guidebooks and that is the principal reason I use them today.

The store at Neels Gap probably has the book in stock if you would like to review it.

The 2006 versions you are asking about may very well be The Thruhikers Handbook or the Companion. These are primarily useful for town info for thruhikers. You can look at the Companion online. I suspect someone will provide the URL.

Again, I highly recommend you get the Guidebook for the info you are looking for.

max patch
06-07-2006, 16:31
Tim Homan has a good book to other trails in Georgia.

mdevinc
06-07-2006, 17:07
Max patch,
Thanks for the info. I think I will buy this book. I may go up to Neels gap this weekend and see if they have it in stock to review it.

Gotta start somewhere.

Mike

hacksaw
06-07-2006, 17:10
The Georgia/North Carolina sections in the ATC guidebooks have been recently updated. The maps are very nice. You get 3 maps in the package; Georgia-two sided covers the entire Georgia AT and connecting trails to the extent that the maps go from the corridor. North Carolina section is treated the same way AND you get the National Geo. Map that covers the entire Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

I recently bought this set, an ATC guidebook and Wingfoot's 2006 Trail Guide. Except for the maps, it seems like I have now acquired three books with the same info. Save yer $ and go with the ATC trail guide package. (With no disrespect intended the other books)

As previously mentioned, Tim Homan's Hiking Trails of North Georgia is an EXCELLENT source for trail guides and maps of the other fine trails in Georgia.

One other source for some excellent maps can be found at most sporting goods stores (Jasper Ga.'s recently reopened Bargain Barn comes immediatly to mind) is a package called "North Georgia WMA's". Its one map in the style of the maps in the ATC package that lists all the Wildlife Managment Areas in North Georgia, in some instances even better than the ATC maps because it covers areas not found on an Appalachian Trail oriented map (eg. War Woman Dells, The entire Cohutta N. F., etc).

Also the Bargain barn carries in stock most all the USGS Quadrangles for north Georgia for a very reasonable price.

Best retail sources I know of for other materials on Georgia trails are Mountain Crossings of Frogtown Gap (Neel's Gap), Amicalola Falls State Park Visitor's Center, REI stores in Atlanta, and the previously plugged Bargain Barn on Ga. 515 in Jasper.

There's tons of info available, just look around.

Hope this helps.

Ewker
06-07-2006, 19:56
the Cradle of Forestry has a nice site for buying maps and books
https://mivasecure.abac.com/foreststore1/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=MAPS

The Solemates
06-08-2006, 10:09
Hey guys,
I live in Cleveland Ga, about 15 miles from the AT. I recently started day hiking on the AT and surrounding trails and was wanting to buy some maps of the areas. They would be helpful because I like to see what mountains I am on and where exactly I am as I am hiking.

I found a book located here, http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=62&compid=1 but I have a question about it. I read some people have a 2006 version of the at book? Do they have updated books for the sections or is it just 2004? The link above is for a 2004 version. It is probably all I will need for quite a while so this is why I am looking at this book.

Do you recommend this book for what I am trying to accomplish? I just really want the maps, but would be nice to read the book too.

Also, is this a topo map or would I have to order that from someplace else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

first try to coosa backcountry trail, a great one near vogel state park and blood mtn.

Dances with Mice
06-08-2006, 12:50
Also, is this a topo map or would I have to order that from someplace else? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Look for a map made for hunters - "North Georgia Wildlife Management Areas (http://www.sewebsites.com/shopping/georgiahuntingmaps.shtml)", you can find it at Neels Gap, any local Wal-Mart in the sporting goods area, and many gas stations - I've seen it at the Suches store and other rural gas stations. It'll not only show many trails but, more important, how the Forest Service roads connect to paved roads so you can get to a trailhead. The trails may change some over the years, the AT info isn't current, but the roads and road crossing remain the same. The map is waterproof and durable - I lose them before they wear out.

The Forest Svc also sells a map of the Chatt Nat Forest at their little store beside the Wal-Mart in Dahlonega but it's not nearly as useful.

mdevinc
06-09-2006, 14:22
Thanks guys, I will have to try a few different ones it looks like. I am sure every one is different.

Mike

Ridge
06-10-2006, 06:02
A current Chattahoochee National Forest Map is a great map of the upstate GA areas. Call the Ranger District office you are near or check the outfitters, like REI-Buford GA or Walasi-Yi at Neels Gap.

hacksaw
06-10-2006, 20:12
Look for a map made for hunters - "North Georgia Wildlife Management Areas (http://www.sewebsites.com/shopping/georgiahuntingmaps.shtml)", you can find it at Neels Gap, any local Wal-Mart in the sporting goods area, and many gas stations - I've seen it at the Suches store and other rural gas stations. It'll not only show many trails but, more important, how the Forest Service roads connect to paved roads so you can get to a trailhead. The trails may change some over the years, the AT info isn't current, but the roads and road crossing remain the same. The map is waterproof and durable - I lose them before they wear out.

The Forest Svc also sells a map of the Chatt Nat Forest at their little store beside the Wal-Mart in Dahlonega but it's not nearly as useful.

The Forest Service Store in Dahlonega got the axe. It is no more.

Skidsteer
06-10-2006, 20:51

The Forest Service Store in Dahlonega got the axe. It is no more.

The Forest Service office just north of Gainesville on St. Rt. 129 had them the last time I checked.