PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone Review

Kerosene
01-02-2004, 15:39
In writing my first-time formal review, I will follow Sgt. Rock's gear review template for the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack.

Equipment: Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone backpack
Quick Description: A mid-sized, lightweight, no-frills, full suspension, framed, top-loading pack designed to carry 20-35 pound loads.

Reviewer: Kerosene
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 170 pounds

Experience: Over 1,500 backpacking miles, mostly on AT section hikes ranging from 3 to 30 days. Started in Boy Scouts in the late 60's (Eagle Scout-1971); Long Trail SOBO thru-hike in August, 1979; Half of AT completed as of 2003.

Similar Products Used: I started backpacking using one of those ugly, heavy canvas rucksacks in Scouts but moved to one of the first nylon packs with an external frame in 1971. I upgraded to a Kelty Tioga in the mid-70's and finally moved to a Dana Designs Terraplane X in 2000. I decided to try out a smaller, lighter pack for a week-long section hike around Roanoke, Virginia where I would not have to carry any more than 3 days of food. Pack weight for my early backpacking trips ranged from 33- to 58-pounds for a week (at the higher end when I had to carry some of my partner's gear to equalize our walking speeds), gradually falling to below 35 pounds a few years ago for fall hiking (mostly due to lighter, and less, equipment). I'd now characterize myself as a lightweight backpacker, but not ultralight by any means.

Locations/Conditions Tested:

(1) Shake-down Hike: Saturday, October 4, 2003 on the Waterloo-Pinckney Trail in southeast Michigan. Carried 30 pounds for 17 miles over relatively level terrain on an overcast fall day with temperatures around 50 degrees. I carried extra gear to stress the pack suspension with more weight than I planned to carry on my AT section hike later in the month.

(2) AT Section Hike: October 18 to 26, 2003 from Buena Vista south to Craig Creek Valley; 118 miles down the Blue Ridge and around Roanoke over a variety of terrain (387 vertical feet per mile on average). I experienced no rain(!) and moderate temperatures throughout the trip (34 to 70 degrees). Daily mileages of 11, 13, 18, 12, 14, 11, 18, 13, and 9 (13.1 miles per day).

Weight (advertised): 3 pounds, 0 ounces

Weight (as tested): 3 pounds, 1 ounce. This is not especially accurate, however, given the size of the postal scale I used to weigh the pack, but I believe that the advertised weight is very close to 3 pounds.

Price: $195, regardless of vendor (on-line, REI, Cabela's, Ann Arbor Wilderness Outfitters all quoted same price)

Manufacturer: Granite Gear (218-834-6157 (Minnesota)); [email protected]; http://www.GraniteGear.com)

Initial Impression:

I visited a local REI store with all of my gear to load up a Nimbus Ozone. The large single pocket absorbed all of my gear with the extension collar about half extended. The challenge would be in trying to keep everything accessible when needed. The 4.5 pound savings over my Dana Terraplane was immediately evident when I hoisted the pack to my shoulders.

I also packed up a Vapor Trail (the Nimbus Ozone’s smaller cousin weighing 2 pounds due to a more basic framesheet) but I liked the feel of the Ozone better and wanted to err on the side of comfort should my pack weight spike if I had to carry a lot more food. The Ozone’s framesheet covers the entire back of the pack and is heavily padded next to your back.

The Nimbus Ozone consists of a large tubular pocket (~3000 cubic inches) with an extension collar that adds another 800 cu. in. Since there is no top lid, the collar is rolled over and neatly double-cinched to close the main compartment, resulting in great headroom. The primary color of the pack is burnt sienna (okay, maybe rust) with black trim.

There is a deep stretch pocket on each side, big enough for a liter-sized water bottle plus one or two small items you want to keep readily accessible.

The overall profile of the pack is quite slim. The pack suspension is fully adjustable, with load lifters, hip cinchers, and the attendant compression straps that seemed a little superfluous for a full load of dense equipment.

I needed the standard size and decided to go with the thinner shoulder straps (size Medium), so I went to a local outfitter (Ann Arbor Wilderness Outfitters) since REI and Cabela’s would take too long to receive new stock.

Trail Testing:

I carried 20-25 pounds throughout my trip, re-supplying every 2-3 days to keep weight down. The pack proved to ride very well through 10-hour days. The one exception was a muscle strain in my left middle back which would appear after 3-4 hours of walking. I tend to walk very upright and was able to diminish the discomfort by forcing myself to slightly “slouch” into the curve of the non-adjustable framesheet. This may be the result of trading off the weight of custom-curved aluminum stays.

I decided to retrofit the waistbelt of the Nimbus Ozone with a 6-oz. Dana Designs Wet Rib to make it easier to get to water (I don’t use a bladder and this pack doesn’t have a compartment or tunnel to accommodate one) as well as my camera and trail treats.

I expected that the compression straps that wrap around the outside pockets would prove to be a clumsy design, but actually I found them pretty easy to work with (but still a poor design). I was able to configure the suspension quite easily.

Here is how I ended up packing the bag:

Main Compartment (top to bottom)
Fleece & Comfort Clogs
Hennessy Hammock
Food Bag, sideways across the width of the compartment
4 small ditty bags (first aid, water filter, personals, bathroom)
Sleeping bag (15-degree Marmot Pinnacle)
Therma-rest Ultra-lite ¾

Side Pockets
Collapsible Nalgene 32-40 oz. water bottle
Rain cover or Foot Care ditty bag

Dana Designs Wet Rib
20 ounce squeeze water bottle
Kodak disposable camera
Trail map and guidebook pages
Trail treats

Conclusions/Recommendations:

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend to anyone having the following characteristics and needs:

• Lighter total load weights (20-35 pounds)
• Medium-to-large physique
• Small personal shelter, such as hammock, bivy sack or tarp
• No need to accommodate a water bladder
• Willing to trade off compartmentized packing for lower weight

Individuals who consistently carry less than 20 pounds of total weight should also look at the Granite Gear Vapor Trail.

I would like to see a small zippered pocket for “personals” sewn into the main compartment, as well as an external bungee or pocket. However, I would sometimes cinch my fleece jacket outside the main compartment and would hang wet socks from the exterior compression straps. Finally, it would be nice to be able to replace the Wet Rib pocket with small pockets sewn into the hip belt.

golfricker
04-11-2004, 20:54
Kerosene: Thanks for the first rate review ( compliments to Sgt. Rock). I am also looking at the GG line, and was wondering if you also checked out the big brother, Stratus Lattitude, which gives a few more cu & features. Given that I am neither ultra lite or a big pound pusher, I would like to find the perfect pack for the 35-45 pd., and not have to jerrymander a pack to fit or give up my usual gear. Any thoughts on the Lattitude. Thanks. Golfhiker. :sun

Kerosene
04-12-2004, 11:21
Golfhiker: Nope, I didn't look at the Stratus Lattitude when I did my comparison shopping a year ago. I was really trying to get serious about saving weight from my pack without sacrificing comfort. I think the Nimbus Ozone was a great compromise, although my last two hikes I probably could have gotten by with the Vapor Trail. If you think that you will really be carrying over 40 pounds, then I'd get something with a little beefier suspension. I've been very satisfied with GG's overall quality, so I would be comfortable pointing you in their direction. I ran across four other GG pack users (VT and NO models) and they all loved their packs.

Footslogger
04-12-2004, 12:15
I can vouch for the durability of GG packs. I cut over to the Vapor Trail last year on my thru-hike when I hit Pearisburg, VA and dumped my heavier/warmer gear and clothing ...

Carried it to Katahdin without any problems. Smaller packs with a single pack bag force you to be a tad more organized but that's a small price to pay for a pack that weighs 2lbs and carries 26 pounds as comfortably as the Vapor Trail did for me.

Having said that though ...don't load the Vapor Trail with 30 pounds or more. It won't carry that weight very well and you'll be feeling the load on your shoulders.

'Slogger

Rambler
05-08-2004, 09:08
Another advantage is the capability of adjusting the length of the shoulder straps individually at the point where they attach to the frame. One of my shoulders is naturally lower than the other, which means packs usually feel to be leaning left. With the Ozone system, one strap is attached to the pack at a point lower than the other strap. This helps square the pack to my different shoulder heights. I used this pack for a week-end trip in January and found I had to make the straps that hold the top closed longer to fit all my stuff. For winter day trips, it worked well, crampomns and snowshoes were easily attached. I originally I got this pack to use in the fall when I wanted to carry more warm clothing and sleeping bag and I noticed the lack of a helping hip belt on the six moon design pack I use in the summer. In short, the Ozone is comfortable, spacious and durable.

hikerjohnd
01-31-2005, 18:59
I understand Granite Gear offers a lid w/pocket for this pack now. Anyone have experience with it?

Papa Razzi
01-31-2005, 23:19
The new model does in fact have a water bladder lid. It's on the inside of the pack, against the frame. The top of the pocket is about four inches below the top of the pack. It's pretty deep and has an adjustable shock cord that can be used to cinch the pocket closed. There's also a port toward the bottom of the extension collar through which you can run the hose. I haven't tested it out yet, but it seems like a pretty good setup.

Kerosene
02-01-2005, 14:56
I understand Granite Gear offers a lid w/pocket for this pack now. Anyone have experience with it?TheSaint is correct, but they also offer a new top lid that closes up over the cinch string. I'm curious as to what it offers beyond a tidy closure. I'd really like a zippered pocket or two for personal effects.

hikerjohnd
02-01-2005, 15:37
TheSaint is correct, but they also offer a new top lid that closes up over the cinch string. I'm curious as to what it offers beyond a tidy closure. I'd really like a zippered pocket or two for personal effects.
I ordered one (only $20 - no big investment -- Hey Sarge - impule buy for $20 bodes well for your ION Stove!) and I'll let you know more details about it once it arrives. It is a lid over the top with a zipper pouch for small stuff - the question I have is how small...

The Solemates
02-01-2005, 18:17
Excellent review. Ive been wanting to try out the Vapor Trail, but am not sure how it would work with our 2-man tent. I tend to carry the entire tent rather than splitting it with my wife. Weight wouldnt be an issue for me, as I keep it pretty light, but Im worried about space.

Singletrack
02-01-2005, 19:00
Solemate, being that your other gear is small and compact, you could put your tent in a smaller stuff sack, and carry the poles on the outside. I place my sleeping bag on the bottom, along with my full size Thermarest Ultralite, my Tarptent Virga, without pole. Next, my kitchen stuff sack, clothes. Then throw in my rain gear, tp, and first aid etc.., Place my food bag, or bags on top. By the way, my small tent pole goes in the area behind the shoulder straps, along side my platy with hoser. It's a great pack. But we sell more Ozones than any other pack, at the store where I work. A good outfitter, might let you take it home overnight, to play with.

gravityman
02-01-2005, 19:16
Excellent review. Ive been wanting to try out the Vapor Trail, but am not sure how it would work with our 2-man tent. I tend to carry the entire tent rather than splitting it with my wife. Weight wouldnt be an issue for me, as I keep it pretty light, but Im worried about space.

I carry our Tarptent squall on the outside of my Vapor Trail, cinched down with the three compression straps on the back. Works real well, and you don't have to put the wet tent inside the pack. As long as your tent is relatively light, this is the way to go (squall is 2 lbs). The stuff sack of the squall sees some abuse, but not too bad...

Gravity

The Solemates
02-02-2005, 10:50
Sounds like 2 very good plans. Either tent inside, poles out. Or entire tent out. I would like to try it out if I can get my hands on a Vapor Trail. We carry the Mtn Harwear Waypoint II by the way, which is around 3.5lbs.

Kerosene
02-02-2005, 19:35
I saw a handful of thru-hikers this spring in north Georgia who had their tent and/or sleeping pad lashed to the outside of their Vapor Trail pack. It seemed to be holding up well for them.

Jack Tarlin
02-02-2005, 20:00
Kerosene:

What a great post!

Here's my two cents:

While working last spring at Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs, I helped dozens of thru-hikers who, after three to four weeks on the Trail, discovered that they wanted to switch backpacks.

The most popular new packs by far were the Granite Gear Ozone and Vapor Trail. (Followed by the Osprey Aether 60 for anyone who's interested).

I was fortunate enough to encounter many of these folks later on down the Trail, including some of them in Harper's Ferry, where I was living and working for June and most of July. This was more than 700 trail miles after they'd purchased new backpacks. Almost without exception, the folks I'd fitted and worked with in Hot Springs were delighted with the decisions they'd made.

I ran into some of these folks still later, in Port Clinton; Vermont; Hanover; and Maine. And again, they were still happy.

I have never personally owned or worn a Granite Gear Pack but in my experience with other hikers last year, which was not inconsiderable, I can't think of a current backpacking manufacturer who seems to have produced more satisfied customers.

I'm still loyal to Osprey, but Granite Gear, in my opinion, makes great stuff.

hikerjohnd
02-12-2005, 22:52
I got my Granite Gear Lid today! I have attached some pics to show it off - the dimensions are 12" long x 11" wide. It weighs 2.4 oz. It really seems too small to be used for a water bladder, as I think I read somewhere, but it does have plenty of room for the small stuff floating in your pack.

I bought mine from Backcountry Gear (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/GG350) and was very pleased with the service - it was backordered and I was contacted within a day to be sure I wanted to wait an extra 3-4 days until the next shipment arrived. Obviously I did, and here it is.

The lid attaches to the load lifter strap buckles at the top rear of the pack. It was a tight fit to get the lid over the buckle, but it slid right on. The front has a strap and fastex buckle that loops over a strap on the front of the pack. I have loaded mine with my data pouch (maps, journal, guidebook, microcassette recorder & 3 tapes, and a pen), my misc kit (6 AAA batteries, ripstop nylon tape, spare lighter, pair bootlaces), Petzl Zipka, 35' 3mm rope (w/small caribeaner for bearbagging), and my first aid/grooming kit. I am confident I could add a small gorp bag (snack size ziploc bag) and maybe a few other commonly used small items.

Hope this helps those of you thinking about buying one - I haven't had it out of the house yet (unless you count from the mailbox to the door) but loading my pack has shown me that I am glad I have it! :cool:

Oh - and the zipper seems pretty watertight, but I have no idea about the rest of the fabric.

tlbj6142
02-17-2005, 11:03
I got my Granite Gear Lid today!It looks like it is made from the same stretchy material as the side water bottle pockets. Correct?

BTW, the new Ozones have a hydration sleeve and port.

The "best" things about the Ozone are the fact that both the hipbelt and shoulderstraps can be replaced with different sized components (mens/womens s-xxl) and that the torso length is fully adjustable. Too many lightweight packs are one size fits some (but not me). Which really sucks.

I did noticed that the compression straps across the front are a bit too short. You can barely fit a rolled ridgerest under the straps. Seems sort of odd as they almost beg to be used for that purpose. Also, the lower side compression straps are about worthless as most folks don't need to compress their water bottles.:D

If it had hipbelt pockets (once you owned a pack with them you wonder why any idiot would want a lid), it would be the perfect packet for heavy loads (20-40#).

I'm going to my local outfitters today at lunch to make sure all my gear (plus stuff for 2 kids) fits. I'll report back after lunch to let you folks know how it goes.

Footslogger
02-17-2005, 11:26
I got my Granite Gear Lid today! I have attached some pics to show it off - the dimensions are 12" long x 11" wide. It weighs 2.4 oz. ===============================
Thanks for the write-up. I have one coming from Backcountry Gear also. It was backordered too. Either they're really popular or they don't keep many in stock.

From the looks of things and your review it is going to work out just fine. I may try and cram my 1.8 Liter Platy in there and see how it works. Right now I roll it up in the storm collar of my Vapor Trail and just hang the tube over my shoulder.

Again ...thanks for the write-up and pics. A lot more than Granite Gear has on their website.

'Slogger
AT 2003

tlbj6142
02-17-2005, 15:04
I'm going to my local outfitters today at lunch to make sure all my gear (plus stuff for 2 kids) fits. I'll report back after lunch to let you folks know how it goes.I manged to get all of the gear in/on the pack. Including 3 sleeping bags, "camp clothes" for 3, 3 sets of raingear (tops only), 3 person shelter (tarptent), 2qt pot, canister stove, misc stuff (tooth brushes, first aid, firestarter, bearbag rope, etc.) and food for 3 days. I put 2qts of water in softsided Nalgene cantenes in the water bottle pockets. And was able to barely squeeze the sleeping pads under the "too short" center compression straps on the front of the pack. Total approximate weight of 35+#.

The pack carries the weight perfectly (though my body doesn't care for it too much:D). I was wearing a regular torso length pack with medium "trim" shoulderstraps and men's medium hipbelt.

Even at the lowest torso length the straps did not quite wrap around my shoulders, so I might get the short torso. The medium hipbelt was fine on my gut. GG told me that the men's large hipbelt has 1.5" more padding on each side of the belt. I'm too afraid I might not be able to get the belt tight enough with the extra padding. Especially if I were to lose even a few pounds. I want the wider ("Regular") shoulder straps, but I might switch to a shorter length to prevent the buckle from being right in the soft part of my armpit (ouch!).

I'll probably get the pack. If I decide to "settle" for the minor issue of the regular torso length (shoulderstrap a bit too high), I can buy it locally (for $170). Otherwise, I'll need to get it from bcg.com.

hikerjohnd
02-17-2005, 16:19
I threaded shock cord through the side straps across the front of the pack - I find that to be better for holding my pad on. I think you can see the setup in one of my above pics...

bulldog49
02-17-2005, 16:21
tlbj, who's the local outfitter there in Columbus who carries Granite Gear? What other brands of packs do they carry? I'm trying to decide between the O-zone, Gregory's Z pack and Osprey's Atmos.

anneandbenhike
02-17-2005, 16:26
I LOVE this pack! As a woman who used a Kelty exernal frame (5 1/2 pounds) for 30+ years of backpacking, I was definitely ready for a new lightweight. I am not an ultralighter but go as light as I possibly can as I get older, I certainly want to carry less. This pack fits, carries my load well, and is extremely comfortable. My only complaint was that it did not have a water bladder compartment. My local outfitter swapped my first Ozone for the newer model with the hydration port and the pocket inside the main compartment. This works great though the port was a bit small and it was difficult to push the bite valve through. I solved that by cutting the porthole a bit larger with a knife. Since the pack had a man's belt and I did not want to wait for the order of a woman's, I took the pack up to Damascus trail days last year, and the Granite Gear reps (and I think it was the founder of the company) GAVE me a new belt. I cannot say enough for this company. I can't imagine owning another pack. I, too, have needed a small pocket for "stuff" and today ordered the "LID" that I saw in this thread. Thanks for the information. :) I had hoped that they would figure that people wanted something "pocket-ish" and that it would become a reality. Glad it has. It is all I will need. I have used this pack for week long section hikes and weekend hikes. It is perfect for either (my husband uses the Vapor Trail, and we recently switched from a tarp to a tarptent Squall. I am sure one of us will carry it on the outside. I look forward to our 3-4 week section hike in late summer.

hikerjohnd
02-17-2005, 16:44
I have been unimpressed with the water bladder pocket in the Ozone (or any other pack that I have seen..) I use a water filter and my bladder has a quick connect feature that plugs in where the hose connects. If the bladder is deep inside the pack then it is difficult to get to for a quick fill. On my external pack, I have made a pocket that snaps on quickly so I can grab the bag and go to the spring without unloading my pack. On my Ozone, my bladder rides on the back, under the shock cord that holds my sleeping pad on.

I haven't tested that configuration for long distance, but will have it out this wekend for a test drive... :cool:

Footslogger
02-17-2005, 16:48
I have been unimpressed with the water bladder pocket in the Ozone (or any other pack that I have seen..)====================================
I'm right there with you John. At first glance having a sleeve inside the pack for your hydration bladder seems like a great thing. However, once you pack is loaded it's not always the easiest thing to remove the bladder for refilling during the day. Mainly for that reason I have always loaded my hydration bladder horizontally at the top of my pack and just draped the sip tube over my shoulder.

'Slogger
AT 2003

tlbj6142
02-17-2005, 16:50
If the bladder is deep inside the pack then it is difficult to get to for a quick fill. That's a common problem for bladder users on just about every pack.
On my Ozone, my bladder rides on the back, under the shock cord that holds my sleeping pad on.I'm not sure I'd want 4#+ that far way from my back. Makes you feel like you are falling backwards all the time. But, then, I do see plenty of folks using that same configuration so I guess it works for some people.

Personally, I don't use bladder except on day hikes.

tlbj6142
02-17-2005, 17:15
tlbj, who's the local outfitter there in Columbus who carries Granite Gear? What other brands of packs do they carry? I'm trying to decide between the O-zone, Gregory's Z pack and Osprey's Atmos.I've been dealing with Outdoor Source (in Upper Arlington). They just have one GG pack left. I'm told they will order more Ozones and Vapor Trails (I'll believe it when I see it). They also carry Osprey, Gregory, Deuter (limited, I wish they had their Aircontact line) and Arc'Teryx.

They have a couple of Atmos in stock. At frist glance they look weird, but I've been told they carry well.

I also believe that Sabo's (RV store with bp/canoe gear hidden upstairs) also carries some GG stuff. They are located real close to campus (OSU).

bulldog49
02-17-2005, 17:18
Thanks tlbj. When I make it back home I'll check them out.

Oh, and by the way, Go Bucks!

Granger
03-09-2005, 14:21
I just installed the "Lid" to my ozone. It holds a surprising amount of stuff considering I only wanted it to hold keys, powerbars, cash, credit cards and licence. In addition I was able to comfortably fit my headlamp, compass, maps, knife and other smallish items. I'm not sure if it was really a necessity that I have this as I was pretty comfortable using a small stuff sack located at the top of my pack for these things but I have a gear problem..... :-)

Total weight added was 4.6 ozs by my scale.

Cheers,
granger

Singletrack
03-09-2005, 16:04
I just installed the "Lid" to my ozone. It holds a surprising amount of stuff considering I only wanted it to hold keys, powerbars, cash, credit cards and licence. In addition I was able to comfortably fit my headlamp, compass, maps, knife and other smallish items. I'm not sure if it was really a necessity that I have this as I was pretty comfortable using a small stuff sack located at the top of my pack for these things but I have a gear problem..... :-)

Cheers,
granger
I have a Lid for my Vapor Trail. I feel sure it is the same for the Ozone. Mine weighs 2.2 ounces on my digital scale, I am weighing it again as I write this post. Take it off your pack and take it to your local P.O and weigh it. I verfiy all my weights there, and is usually on the money.

Kerosene
03-09-2005, 16:35
I had read that the lid it was closer to 2 ounces than 4 ounces. I'm at the point now where every 2 ounces is a big deal, especially for an empty "pocket"! My Dana Designs Wet Rib weighs in a 6 ounces without water bottle.

hikerjohnd
03-09-2005, 16:44
I just reweighed mine and once again it came in at 2.4 ozs... Is yours made of the stretchy material that the pockets are made of? 4.6 seems really heavy...:confused:

Granger
03-10-2005, 08:20
sounds like teh same one. I reweighed it alst night and the results were a lot closer to what was posted (2.5ozs) . Not sure what was going on with my scale. :-(

hikerjohnd
03-10-2005, 08:29
Not sure what was going on with my scale. :-( I'm going to go with "Conspiracy" Your scale is upset that it can weigh all this gear, but it never gets to go hiking. Therefore, it has systematically increased the weight of each item, forcing you to make more and more cuts in gear and weight, until you are left with minimal gear for a comfortable trip and the scale sits at home basking in the fact that you are out camping with 12 pounds of gear that you believe weighs 20. You have obviously shown it who is boss now that it is giving the correct weight for the lid. Perhaps couples therapy would be in order? I'm sure the road to recovery will be a long one, but well worth the effort.

Yes - I have nothing better to do at the moment :datz

Granger
03-10-2005, 08:44
LOL too funny

take-a-knee
06-13-2006, 21:48
I bought a Vapor Trail last year from REI, I love it! It is small though. It will only work for tarp/hammock people for multiday trips I think, especially if your warm stuff is synthetic fill. I haven't loaded mine for more that three days yet but my Jardine quilt takes up a lot of the pack. I may spring for one of the Jacks down quilts for my hammock. The bladder pocket inside the pack holds a 60oz platypus perfectly. I carry the platypus with a drinking tube between the pack and the back pad. I use a trash compactor bag inside the pack for my gear so if a bladder leaks nothing important will get wet. I bought my daughter the women's Vapor Ki and she loves it. It has the lid and it also has two small zippered compartment on each topside.

Flask
10-13-2006, 12:19
im pretty hand on the old sewing machine, put together a nice tarptent and more stuffsacks than i can handle. im looking to get the Ozone for my thru hike thats creeping up faster and faster. how well do you think this pack would take to sewing a pocket to carry some small stuff, not much weight really. im just looking for an easy-access pocket for my camera but something a little higher up on the side of the pack than the two side pockets. the add on lid looks a little more than i need.

Kerosene
10-14-2006, 10:51
Flask, I think that the Ozone would handle the addition of a lightweight pocket just as well as all but the lightest weight packs. I like the idea of a pocket attached to the hipbelt as opposed to the pack strap, but both would work.

Another idea might be to see if you can craft a large mesh pocket covering the back of the pack where you could stuff your wet tarptent or damp clothing.

mudfoot
01-12-2007, 11:20
there hasn't been a post on here for a while now but with the upcoming season i thought I would add something.
i purchased the vapor trail while working in portland OR where i did some tramping up and down the coast and quite liked it. At that point my base weight usually varied between 12 and 18 lbs. I was planning an AT thru hike in '06 (couldn't get across the border unfortunately) and opted instead, to go with GG's virga with a 12 lb base weight. I added two hip pads w/ pockets from an old fanny pack i rummaged to provide padding after some bad bruising on a couple of trips in the mid west testing it for the trail. I also cut my base weight down to 10 lbs. i used a 3/4 z rest for the back support and found it did a great job. I could comfortably carry 8-9 lbs of dried food and 2 1/2 lbs h2o on top of the 10 lb BW. however having opted to carry a hennesy Hyperlite Backpacker on my thru hike (now '07) I switched sleeping pads to one of gossamer gear's closed cell foams. Its much softer and more suited to hammock users. also lighter (I cut an additional 6 oz) but being softer it didn't provide as much back support so I've now chosen to jump back up to the vapor trail (at least to begin the trail with).
both GG packs have held up well with one exception. The stitching along the outside of the left shoulder strap pad on my virga has pulled and the foam is coming out at the top (easy enough to repair but still unfortunate)
I sell alot of GG packs. i love them. my g/f is also using a virga on the AT and my dog even has one of their packs. its a family thing. but if someone needed more space at no additional weight (saying you're carrying between 20 - 30 lbs) i would look at Gossamer gear's mariposa packs. not as durable but lighter and larger. I believe the mariposa plus is a 1.3 oz urethane the other a 3 oz. (the plus is on sale for $75 US on their site) also driducks on sale for $20 same cost the manufacturer sells them at. last time i checked anyways.
PS I dont work for gossamer gear they just have some great products as long as you're not really hard on your gear.

Footslogger
01-12-2007, 11:28
PS I dont work for gossamer gear they just have some great products as long as you're not really hard on your gear.

==================================

I have the Vapor Trail (carried it on my 2003 AT thru) and am in the process of evaluating packs for a PCT thru. Need something that can carry a load more in the mid 30 lb range. Was pretty much dialed in on the Nimbus Ozone but will definitely check out the Mariposa.

Thanks for the update and comment ...

'Slogger

Footslogger
01-12-2007, 11:35
Just checked out the Mariposa. Great looking pack with some impressive and practical features. Only problem I see is that it is rated "FOR LOADS UP TO 30LBS". My guess is that I'll be more in the mid 30lb range on the PCT (at times) and the last thing I want is a pack that sags under excess load ...NO FUN !! Might have to get some user feedback before giving up on it though.

'Slogger

rafe
01-12-2007, 11:46
Which of the GG packs would offer a bit firmer suspension, overall volume, and load-carrying limit beyond the Vapor Trail? I'm having some issues with a VT, with a load that's well within its limits.

fonsie
01-20-2007, 07:10
Well I just recently bought the Vapor Trail and im going out for a weekand run with it. I always have had my pack weight down, I stoped useing the Z-pack because I did'nt like the mesh padding on it. The padding on the Vapor is thicker and nicer I have all my gear for my thru hike and my 100 once camel back, with about 3 days of food in my pack and it all weighs 21lbs. Im used to a 30 lb pack so this will be great.

Footslogger
01-20-2007, 11:56
Well I just recently bought the Vapor Trail and im going out for a weekand run with it. I always have had my pack weight down, I stoped useing the Z-pack because I did'nt like the mesh padding on it. The padding on the Vapor is thicker and nicer I have all my gear for my thru hike and my 100 once camel back, with about 3 days of food in my pack and it all weighs 21lbs. Im used to a 30 lb pack so this will be great.

===============================

Just know that despite the manufacturers spec, the Vapor Trail does not carry a 30 lb load very well, in my experience. At that weight the HDPU frame sheet buckles outward a bit and the load sags downward, even with the hipbelt firmly secured. The result is that you end up shouldering the load. Drop 4 - 6 lbs and the Vapor Trail carries like a dream !!

'Slogger

Kerosene
01-20-2007, 12:25
Which of the GG packs would offer a bit firmer suspension, overall volume, and load-carrying limit beyond the Vapor Trail? I'm having some issues with a VT, with a load that's well within its limits.Step up to any of the GG packs designated Nimbus and you'll get a sturdier framesheet that should let you easily carry 35 pounds (40 in a pinch), and feel really good with loads below 30 pounds. The sturdier framesheet imposes about a 1 pound penalty over the VT's framesheet.

stag3
01-21-2007, 00:35
I got my GGOzone lastyear from Eastern Mountain Sport...20% discount for the 4th of july. Plus, 15% off the next two items.

Nearly Normal
02-13-2007, 18:56
I'm looking to drop a couple of pack pounds and the N/O sounds good. Could you tell me a little more about the "non-adjustable framesheet". Does it eventually mold to your shape?
Thanks,
Pete

rafe
02-13-2007, 19:11
I'm looking to drop a couple of pack pounds and the N/O sounds good. Could you tell me a little more about the "non-adjustable framesheet". Does it eventually mold to your shape?

IIRC, the only thing that's adjustable (about the framesheet) are the shoulder strap anchor points. The "sheet" is made of some composite material, about 3/16" thick, and is molded into a very interesting shape indeed --- quite curved.

Kerosene
02-13-2007, 20:27
I wouldn't characterize the framesheet as being "moldable" as a deflated sleeping pad might be in a frameless pack. The framesheet is fairly stiff but comfortable against your back if the fit is right.

Nearly Normal
02-14-2007, 05:30
I wouldn't characterize the framesheet as being "moldable" as a deflated sleeping pad might be in a frameless pack. The framesheet is fairly stiff but comfortable against your back if the fit is right.

I guess moldable was not the correct term. The stays in my "forrester" seem to conform after hiking awhile.
Everthing I hear about the N/O adds up to a visit with my gear to the outfitter.
Thanks
Pete

Quoddy
02-26-2007, 18:54
The ability to get shoulder straps and a belt made exactly for your size; as well as the adjustable length in the frame to match exactly with your back length makes this a really sweet pack. I find the frame to be very comfortable and easily supports 30 lbs when I'm maxed out at the beginning of a no-resupply trail.

Deadeye
04-07-2007, 22:12
[quote=tlbj6142;208149]If it had hipbelt pockets (once you owned a pack with them you wonder why any idiot would want a lid), it would be the perfect packet for heavy loads (20-40#).

Granite Gear now makes hipbelt pockets (less than $20) for left and right side of the belt. I added both to my pack. Roomier than most of the built-on pockets: I can fit the day's snacks & TP and a camera and more in each.