PDA

View Full Version : Dana Design Pack Predicament

npirsig
03-10-2003, 06:14
I'm about to put down my money... and whenever I do that, I get nervous and start rethinking everything. I'm getting this pack for an eventual thru-hike.

I’m deciding between the Dana Design Glacier and the Terraplane LTW

Glacier:
Capacity: 5,200 cu.in./85 litres
Weight: 5 lb. 13 oz./2.6 kg.

Terraplane LTW:
Capacity: 5800 cu. in/95 litres
Weight: 6 lb. 9 oz/3.1 kg

Perhaps unnecessarily, I have been wondering if the Glacier will do well in those situations where I'll be at or over 50lbs... I understand this isn't usually the case on the AT, but perhaps on other hikes where resupplies and fresh water are less available. In any case, I've read that the Glacier is intended for loads under 50lbs so I was wondering if anyone had had positive or negative experiences with it, or with the Terraplane LTW.

I can't try on either pack because I'm overseas... my old pack was stolen and I need a new one ASAP... so buying one online (and paying a fortune for shipping) is my only option.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated,
Nell

chris
03-10-2003, 10:00
I have not used either pack. The terraplane has a pretty solid reputation, but both are probably overkill for something like the AT.

Check out www.northernmountain.com

They have a bunch of good prices on Dana packs. I think the terraplane is something like $289, which is a lot less than normal.

Redbeard
03-10-2003, 10:30
Last year I carried a Netherworld, 8 lbs empty, over 50 lbs with food and water, from Springer to Damascus. But I didn't like it, a good pack that's fitted to you and designed to carry that load should be comfortable, but I couldn't get that pack to be comfortable with any weight. Make sure it's fitted properly by someone who know's what they're doing, and you might want to think about a smaller pack that only weigh's 4 lbs empty or so, no matter how much space you have you will fill it. I like the "Dana Designed" Mystery Ranch series very well, and I'm carrying one on my thru-hike this spring.

Kerosene
03-10-2003, 10:35
I have used the Terraplane X for the last few years, although I don't think my total pack weight has ever exceeded 42 pounds. While the pack itself is heavy, especially relative to some of the Mountainsmith packs, it fits me extremely well, especially if I keep the total load below 35 pounds.

Given Dana Design's penchant for quality, fit and overall comfort, I'm sure that you can successfully lug 50 pounds with the Terraplane. If they say that the Glacier is rated to loads below 50, I would believe them or at least not be surprised if things aren't as comfortable.

Israel
03-10-2003, 20:30
I've owned and used a terraplane since 1992-1993. It is a bombproof pack. I ahve put mine through thousands of miles of hiking, world travel, airlines, hitchhiking, etc. and it keeps going. I have had mice chew into it and once the stays at the top of the frame tore through the fabric. Sent it back to Dana and they fixed it all up, free of charge. I don't use it a lot any more since I have gone the lighter weight route in last few years, but that pack is as solid now as it was when I first bought it and it is extremely comfortable.

You might want to look at the Arc-Terrax packs as well. A friend of mine bought one of theirs and really likes it. They seem to be equally as well made.

I don't know anything about the glacier, but you could carry 60lbs.+ with the terraplane...assuming you could lift the thing!

npirsig
03-10-2003, 22:49
Thank you all so much for your input... I've ordered the Teraplane LTW. Whether it will make it to Australia or not without getting lost in the mail is another story.

Nell

oruoja
11-21-2003, 17:41
I have been using a Dana Terraplane since '97 and swear by it despite it's weight. It's durability and comfort are it's biggest selling point. It used to be a popular load carrier before the golite rage. It's size may be overkill, but packing it is never a problem and it's sure handy when you have to add bulkier items (e.g. cold weather gear). Mine has over 1400 miles on it and plan on using it for my thru hike in the future. Of course it depends on the users size/weight. I guess packs are like boots regarding fit and comfort.

Afterthought: This goes against 95% of popular opinion, but when carrying weights 45 to 55 lbs the Dana really does make it feel like only 35 to 40 lbs so I don't have to worry about shaving every ounce when it comes to items of preference to make my trip more enjoyable.

bfrazier
07-11-2015, 18:03
Thank you all so much for your input... I've ordered the Teraplane LTW. Whether it will make it to Australia or not without getting lost in the mail is another story.

Nell

Nell,

It's been a dozen years since you bought that pack, and, assuming it didn't get lost in the mail, it is noteworthy to see that they are selling (used) for more than you paid new, and that they still have a lifetime warranty. In other words you made money buying this pack and used it for free.

How often does that happen... it's a real tribute to Dana Gleason. Hope you loved the pack.

Best,
Bob

v1k1ng1001
07-16-2015, 20:30
I have an old snowboarding pack from Dana that I bought in 98. It's like brand new. Used it as a day pack all through Spain for the last three summers and on sever day hikes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Shutterbug
07-17-2015, 00:39
I'm about to put down my money... and whenever I do that, I get nervous and start rethinking everything. I'm getting this pack for an eventual thru-hike.

I’m deciding between the Dana Design Glacier and the Terraplane LTW

Glacier:
Capacity: 5,200 cu.in./85 litres
Weight: 5 lb. 13 oz./2.6 kg.

Terraplane LTW:
Capacity: 5800 cu. in/95 litres
Weight: 6 lb. 9 oz/3.1 kg

Perhaps unnecessarily, I have been wondering if the Glacier will do well in those situations where I'll be at or over 50lbs... I understand this isn't usually the case on the AT, but perhaps on other hikes where resupplies and fresh water are less available. In any case, I've read that the Glacier is intended for loads under 50lbs so I was wondering if anyone had had positive or negative experiences with it, or with the Terraplane LTW.

I can't try on either pack because I'm overseas... my old pack was stolen and I need a new one ASAP... so buying one online (and paying a fortune for shipping) is my only option.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated,
Nell

I have a Terraplane. It is a really good backpack, but I rarely use it anymore because it is heavy and too big. In my opinion it is too large for a thru-hike. If you need that large of a pack, you are carrying too much stuff.

When I bought my Terraplane years ago, I carried more than 70 lbs for a Wonderland Trail hike. Now, I carry less than thirty for the same hike.

PS: I failed to notice the date of the original post. My answer probably would have been different in 2003.