PDA

View Full Version : Dessert anyone ?

ffstenger
06-08-2006, 03:35
Last year on a section hike I made all of my own meals in freezer bags and
just had to boil water and poor in just like the freeze-dryed kind you buy.
It was very easy, and worked well. ( I love my dehydrator) Now for this years section hike I want to expand my menu to include brownies for dessert. I'm thinking I can use a store brownie mix and stir it up with water in the bag and put bag-and-all in to the pot of hot water and let it sit 'til done. BUT, most of those mixes need oil and eggs added. I haven't tried this at home yet. Any suggestions??? I am a card carrying chocoholic !!!
Show-me

Alligator
06-08-2006, 09:12
For the eggs, maybe dehydrated eggs would work. Alternatively, there's an egg subsitute (non-egg) that is often found in health/natural food stores that behaves as a binder like eggs. It's a dried powder. Sorry I don't remember the name. I've never tried the boil in the bag idea. I wonder if it will work since the water is 212F?

I have made chocolate pudding on the trail. It will work with powdered milk and cold water.

jlb2012
06-08-2006, 09:53
Last year on a section hike I made all of my own meals in freezer bags and
just had to boil water and poor in just like the freeze-dryed kind you buy.
It was very easy, and worked well. ( I love my dehydrator) Now for this years section hike I want to expand my menu to include brownies for dessert. I'm thinking I can use a store brownie mix and stir it up with water in the bag and put bag-and-all in to the pot of hot water and let it sit 'til done. BUT, most of those mixes need oil and eggs added. I haven't tried this at home yet. Any suggestions??? I am a card carrying chocoholic !!!
Show-me

see http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/gorpmunchiesdesserts.htm the third recipe from the bottom of the page

sarbar
06-08-2006, 11:08
From what I have heard (but not tried yet!) you can cook brownies without oil or eggs. It isn't quite the same, but it supposedly works. yes, you can boil bags of mixes like you do omelletes in a bag, but you need to make sure the bag doesn't touch the pan very often. You do this at a low simmer boil. It does cook it, it just won't get brown (think of it as a cheap bakepacker. To be extra safe you can use roasting bags, they handle the boiling water well!

eyewall
06-08-2006, 21:58
Check this site out. Take a look at the Jiffy mixes. Looks interesting to me...
http://www.bakepacker.com/recipes.html

grrickar
06-09-2006, 19:13
I like to carry SF instant choc jello pudding (ditch the box, write the amount of water to add on pack). Carry a premeasured ziploc of powdered milk, mix with cold filtered water, let sit in a stream a bit to chill and eat. Goooood stuff.

mweinstone
06-10-2006, 00:30
shes a 25 cent ho but she bakes an indestructable,over caloric,abundantly available brownie with does not exspire ever.and were used by lewis and clark. and eaten on the moon. and presidents eat them. little debbie,if you really exist,......i wuv woo.

ffstenger
06-12-2006, 05:27
Thanks for all the ideas, I've done a lot of reading. Today is try-it-at-home day so I will let you know how it turned out! BTW I like Lil' Deb toooooo
I use to refuse to go hiking without figaroos...... Little Debbie is a real person, the daughter of the founder of the now famous snack Co.
Show-Me

Ewker
06-12-2006, 12:40
I like to carry SF instant choc jello pudding (ditch the box, write the amount of water to add on pack). Carry a premeasured ziploc of powdered milk, mix with cold filtered water, let sit in a stream a bit to chill and eat. Goooood stuff.

don't forget to add the crumbled up cookies :banana

Deerleg
06-13-2006, 22:00
Why not take an egg or 2? I put a couple in a sock carefully rolled up in my cook pot and made scrambled eggs with chives my 2nd morning out on my last trip. Also keep a little olive oil in a small plastic bottle for pasta. I like your brownie idea. Let us know how your expement turned out.

nhalbrook
06-13-2006, 23:07
While not brownies chocolate biscotti would seem a good trail choco fix as they are bone dry so do not weigh much tho might be a bit bulky. Gr8 dipped in coffee. Sams has them in big canisters. May even have some coated on one side w/choc.

TIDE-HSV
06-13-2006, 23:36
the founder of Little Debbie is a Seventh Day Adventist who, I'm quite sure, doesn't eat his own stuff. My nephew, also the same denomination, was the chief of machine maintenance at the factory for years - and he didn't eat it...;)

Ewker
06-13-2006, 23:38
McKee Baking (makers of Little Debbie) have a basket of their goodies at the front desk when you come in. Also down the road they have an outlet store for all of the Little Debbie Products..can we say overdose:eek:

ffstenger
06-29-2006, 04:59
OK, I tried the browine-in-a-bag trick and it came out pretty good.
I used 3/4 cup of a box off the shelf mix, added a TBSP of olive oil
and a tsp of powdered eggs and added enough water to make a thick
batter in the freezer bag. I left the bag open so the moisture could
escape from the mix while cooking. After about 10 min the brownie
mix had firmed up quite a bit, but of course did not ever achieve a
baked form. I think it would have improved with a little more time, but
it was pretty good and I ate the whole thing with a spork!! yummmm.
I will be having this on the trail next time I go:p Show-me

headchange4u
06-29-2006, 10:53
I have tried the brownies (choc. chips, crushed graham crackers, etc) from the freezer bag cooking web site. They are really good just make sure you use enough chocolate to get everything to stick together.

QHShowoman
06-29-2006, 10:59
Betty Crocker makes these little microwaveable brownie bowls that you add 1 tbsp of water to, stir, and microwave for about a minute. They're pretty good in a pinch and although they are not convenient for backpacking, it leads me to think that somewhere, there must be a brownie mix you can simply add water to.