PDA

View Full Version : Hennessey Webbing????

jazilla
06-08-2006, 08:34
[quote=stickman]How do you change from the Hennessey rope to webbing? Do you have to take the hammock apart and reassemble ala a Speer, or is there some other way? Cutting the rope and tying into a piece of webbing?

This was posted by stickman in another thread and wasn't answered, and I was wondering the same. If anyone could shed light on this I would be very appreciative.

Just Jeff
06-08-2006, 10:40
Cut off the HH Spectra about 10" from the hammock.

Sew a loop in a 9' length of webbing.

Tie the Spectra to the loop. Bowline should work well.

Hang.

stoikurt
06-08-2006, 11:21
What would be the advantage of doing this? Would you then put the snakeskins on between the knot and the hammock or beyond the knot on the webbing?

Just Jeff
06-08-2006, 11:28
Some people think webbing is more convenient than Spectra+huggers b/c there are no knots - you just wrap it around the tree. The weight is pretty similar, and the webbing is only a bit bulkier. I guess there are two less extra pieces (the tree huggers) to keep up with...I've almost left mine behind before, so that's an advantage. I use both webbing and cord depending on my mood for that trip - it's really 6 of one, half a dozen of the other once you learn the right lashings to use.

I have JRB Python Skins and the opening is 1" wide, so it accomodates the webbing just fine...I could put them either before or after the knot. I've never seen HH's snakeskins so I don't know for sure, but I'd assume you could do the same.

Depending on how it's set up, sometimes the webbing can form a "U" shape and funnel some water down towards the hammock. If this happens (it's never happened to me), I guess it would be a good idea to put the skins after the knot (closer to the hammock) so the water could drain out. Maybe even put a drip string on the Spectra to drain off any water before it gets to the skins.

jazilla
06-08-2006, 17:12
Thanks Jeff

gdwelker
06-08-2006, 20:23
I have one hammock that uses webbing rather than rope, except the webbing strap includes a cam buckle. The webbing goes through a loop in the rope at the hammock end, and then around the tree once or twice, and back to the other end of the webbing and the cam buckle. Makes setup much quicker than Also much easier to adjust the position of the hammock if you find out you set it up off center between the two trees. A few :)ounces heavier, but less frustrating. I just haven't gotten the nerve to cut the hennessy rope to do the same to it yet!

Just Jeff
06-08-2006, 22:11
That setup may be a hassle in freezing rain or snow - you may have to defrost the buckle before you can take down the hammock. It'll probably be great under most conditions, though. Not many people hammock below freezing, anyway. :)

SGT Rock
06-09-2006, 02:42
I suppose you could do it, but I think you would end up adding extra weight to the system although I could be wrong on that. I also think there is a possibility (depending on what sort of webbing you use) of taking some of the strength out of the system since the cord used now is Specta cord with a nylon sheath (to make it easier to untie) and I belive a 1/2" thick of 1" thick strip of nylon grossgrain (sp?) webbing wouldn't have the same strength, and when you start to talk a longer strap you have the possibility of more weight acting on a stretched out piece than you have now. I have seen the nylon straps start to "saw through" with lots of use. I think the ide has some merit, but I will stick to my stock hammock in that area.

peter_pan
06-09-2006, 07:40
I still do not get all the chat to replace the rope or use buckles and other fancy biner rigs etc ( especially when/if they add weight)....The lashing is easy....never takes more than a minute...works with gloves and in sleet and freezing.... Practice is the key....then it becomes so you can do it in your sleep...Heck, I bet that an experianced "lasher" can hang the hammock properly and faster than a novice, or 2 or 3 time a year hanger, with a buckle or biner rig.

Just my $ 0.02...

Pan

Just Jeff
06-09-2006, 10:53
Rock, polypro webbing doesn't stretch like nylon, and 1" webbing is strong enough (what Speer uses). I bought this webbing from Ed, and the weight for my webbing supports was roughly the same as the weight for my Spectra+HH huggers set. That was with my own Spectra that was a bit bigger than the HH spectra, but not much.

Pan, I agree. For a while I tried to come up with a prussik system - and I think I did - but I never tested it b/c I realized I was trying to solve a problem I never had. I haven't had to untie the hammock to adjust it in a long time - practice solved that problem.

jazilla
06-09-2006, 10:59
I need more practice