PDA

View Full Version : Mixing AquaMira

Footslogger
06-08-2006, 09:01
One of the biggest complaints about AquaMira is that you have to mix Part A and Part B and then wait for the chemical reaction to take place before adding it to your water for treatment.

I'm sure I am not the first person to think of this but ...just wonder if there would be a negative consequence if the total contents of a Part A and Part B AquaMira set were mixed in advanced and carried in a slightly larger container. That would actuall address 2 issues. First the convenience one and second the fact that sometimes you run out of either Part A or Part B in the field.

Think I'll run this past McNett but in the meantime I'd like to hear from any chemists out there with knowledge on this subject.

'Slogger

MacGyver2005
06-08-2006, 09:45
That won't work. I used to know the chemical reactions off the top of my head, but without looking at the bottles all I can remember is that the end result is chlorine dioxide as the water treatment part...and I think chloric dioxide, which is a gas and if you dump the mixed parts into a bottle to mix you will see the gas form. Regardless, the chlorine dioxide will not remain in that state for an extended period of time, and as such makes it worthless as a water treatment.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Footslogger
06-08-2006, 10:09
[quote=MacGyver2005]That won't work. I used to know the chemical reactions off the top of my head, but without looking at the bottles all I can remember is that the end result is chlorine dioxide as the water treatment part...and I think chloric dioxide, which is a gas and if you dump the mixed parts into a bottle to mix you will see the gas form. Regardless, the chlorine dioxide will not remain in that state for an extended period of time, and as such makes it worthless as a water treatment.
================================
Hmmm ...wonder how the KlearWater folks do it then ?? They have a premixed solution of chlorine dioxide.

'Slogger

Just Jeff
06-08-2006, 10:25
BPL sells some pre-mixed chlorine dioxide. Somehow it's been stabilized (I think these are pills), but the whole bottle has a shelf life of about 6 months, compared to the few years of AM.

As MacGuyver said, mixing AM won't work b/c the chlorine dioxide doesn't stay active for long. But with a name like that, you'd think he could whip up a water purifier from some parachute cord and an old stick.

Footslogger
06-08-2006, 10:41
[quote=Just Jeff]BPL sells some pre-mixed chlorine dioxide. Somehow it's been stabilized (I think these are pills), but the whole bottle has a shelf life of about 6 months, compared to the few years of AM.
========================================
Bought some of that ...KlearWater. If you keep it in the fridge it lasts up to 2 years but it about $13 for a 30ml bottle and you need 1ml per liter of water -- kinda expensive. Don't know how they stabilized the solution so that it comes mixed and lasts so long.

Katahdin also makes the PUR Chorine Dioxide tablets. 30 tablets cost around $12 and it takes 1 tablet per leter so the cost is about the same as with the KlearWater. The tablets are lighter and more convenient but are designed to be used in 1 Liter solution increments ...but I guess you could split a tablet in half.

The most economical form of Chlorine Dioxide purifier is AquaMira. You can find it nowadays on the web for as low as $10 and one set treats about 30 gallons. But, as we all know, it comes in 2 parts and has to be mixed just prior to use. If we could only figure out a way to pre-mix and re-bottle the AquaMira !!

'Slogger

Just Jeff
06-08-2006, 10:57
I use AM - I don't mind waiting a few minutes for the mixture - gives me time to check out the scenery and such. But when I'm filling two bottles at the same time, I still mix it separately so that takes a while. I'll usually sit down and pull out a bigger snack or something.

Footslogger
06-08-2006, 11:00
But when I'm filling two bottles at the same time, I still mix it separately so that takes a while. I'll usually sit down and pull out a bigger snack or something..
===============================
Just a suggestion, and something I started (and continue doing) during my thru. Save the overcap (mixing recepticle) from a set of AM that you're just about to pitch and put it on the "other" bottle in the new set. Now you can mix 2 doses of AM at the same time. Works well for me.

'Slogger

millergear
06-08-2006, 11:04
Another sugestion: I use multiple soda bottles to carry water and I mix the AM in each of their bottle caps.

Just Jeff
06-08-2006, 11:20
Duh! Isn't it crazy how easy it is to overlook the obvious? Those are both great suggestions that never occurred to me...as I sat there looking at the bottles, with the caps on them, for ten minutes that I could have been hiking, several times during a trip...thanks for the ideas, guys.

MacGyver2005
06-08-2006, 11:37
===============================
Just a suggestion, and something I started (and continue doing) during my thru. Save the overcap (mixing recepticle) from a set of AM that you're just about to pitch and put it on the "other" bottle in the new set. Now you can mix 2 doses of AM at the same time. Works well for me.

'Slogger

That is something we did on our Thru. It works great. And Just Jeff, If I could purify water with a stick and string I'd be all over it. :D

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME