PDA

View Full Version : SOBO in Sept 06

firemountain
06-08-2006, 09:19
I am planning on leaving Maine in the first week of Sept and heading south hopefully finishing around Feb. Preperations and planning have been ongoing for about eight months now. Searching through the thru hiker registry it does not appear that many other people have completed that late in the season. I am anticipating cold wet weather.
Gear includes a Black Diamond Beta light (pyramid tarp shelter) 1lb 5oz (w/ seams sealed), 3/4 length Z-lite pad, EMS Velocity 5 degree bag 3lb 5oz primaloft. The ems bag seems heavy but is the lightest in its class. Other items include granite gear vapor trail pack, hiker pro filter, jet boil stove, platypus water bags, freeze dried dinners and desserts, pro-bars, clif bars, etc for on the go nutrition. This will be my first long distance hike and light weight is very important to me. There are three items (stove, filter, sleeping bag) which can be considered quite heavy but I feel are justifiable due to advantages. The stove and fast and efficient, the filter is quick and reliable, and the bag is very warm even wet. Any feedback, suggestions, or questions are welcome.

The Solemates
06-08-2006, 09:50
I am planning on leaving Maine in the first week of Sept and heading south hopefully finishing around Feb. Preperations and planning have been ongoing for about eight months now. Searching through the thru hiker registry it does not appear that many other people have completed that late in the season. I am anticipating cold wet weather.
Gear includes a Black Diamond Beta light (pyramid tarp shelter) 1lb 5oz (w/ seams sealed), 3/4 length Z-lite pad, EMS Velocity 5 degree bag 3lb 5oz primaloft. The ems bag seems heavy but is the lightest in its class. Other items include granite gear vapor trail pack, hiker pro filter, jet boil stove, platypus water bags, freeze dried dinners and desserts, pro-bars, clif bars, etc for on the go nutrition. This will be my first long distance hike and light weight is very important to me. There are three items (stove, filter, sleeping bag) which can be considered quite heavy but I feel are justifiable due to advantages. The stove and fast and efficient, the filter is quick and reliable, and the bag is very warm even wet. Any feedback, suggestions, or questions are welcome.

just remember to keep trudging and good luck. sounds like fun.

Nokia
06-08-2006, 09:51
You seem to be right on with your gear. The bag is heavy, but without spending $250-$300 it'll do fine. Just keep an eye on the little extras that add weight. Be prepared for snow possibly in ME and more certainly in NH. I'll see you out there.

TJ aka Teej
06-08-2006, 22:51
Welcome to Whiteblaze! Be sure to check out the Southbounder forum.

hiker pro filter ... platypus water bags

How well do those work when the temp dips below freezing? And the temp *will* be below freezing during your late-start sobo...

the goat
06-08-2006, 23:39
Welcome to Whiteblaze! Be sure to check out the Southbounder forum.

How well do those work when the temp dips below freezing? And the temp *will* be below freezing during your late-start sobo...

platy bags suck in really cold weather....when they freeze, you're screwed!

Old Hillwalker
06-09-2006, 09:50
Please be aware that Madison Spring and Lakes of the Clouds Huts close on September 16th, and Galehead - Greenleaf on October 16th. So no shelter is available, nor legal camping above treeline.

Alligator
06-09-2006, 10:13
platy bags suck in really cold weather....when they freeze, you're screwed!They're not that bad, but care is needed. A couple of tips:
1. Always blow air through the tube in freezing temps.
2. If the tube freezes, tuck into your jacket for a few minutes. It'll melt.
3. Make sure there's no water around the opening at night when it might freeze. Either leave it empty or turned.
4. I usually bring one wide-mouthed Nalgene for overnight water. These make excellent hot water cozies.

I can deal with the platys, but I can't stand using a filter in the winter. When it freezes, they're much hard to get unfroze. I use chemicals.

I own that pack, and I'd never fit my winter gear in it. Do you have any winter experience? Do you have all your winter gear? Try loading it up with your full complement.

Also, a 3/4 length pad is pretty skimpy in the winter.

Cookerhiker
06-09-2006, 10:32
So you start "the first week in September." You know what shape you're in - how long will you take to get through Maine? Will you hit the Whites in October? My only October experience in the Whites was hiking Pinkham-to-Gorham early in the month where I encountered snow atop the Wildcat/Carter/Moriah ridges. Looking across the valley, the Presidentials were quite snow-covered. Some years can bring a foot or more in early October.

So perhaps you should bring YakTraks or crampons or something for the ice at least until you're up and over Moosilauke. What do the New Englanders think?

Snow Stomp
06-09-2006, 22:54
EMS Velocity 5 degree bag 3lb 5oz primaloft.

U mite want something warmer than a 5 degree synthetic bag. Invest in a WM or other good down 0 or lower bag.

firemountain
06-10-2006, 08:35
Thanks for the tips on the platypus bags, I usually bring a nalgene with me on winter trips but was hoping to save the 4oz. I may need to reconsider that.
I have a fair amount of winter hiking and camping experience in the adirondacks (lean-to), a couple trips to the whites (hut), and local stuff here in western massachusetts (bivouac). I will be able to fit all my gear into the vapor trail back without a problem. I had not considered the filter freezing though. Generally I melt snow on winter trips. Perhaps chemicals would be easier. I am comfortable using a 3/4 length pad in temps down to around zero degrees (F), but I usually bring a prolite 3. The z-lite is new for me and was selected because it can not go flat, and no repair is needed.
As far as the sleeping bag being warm enough, for most winter trips I use a zero degree down bag that is very light and compact. The problem I have after multiple days of early starts is the moisture from my body and clothing 'wicks' into the down and loft is decreased. The synthetic which is somewhat bulkier should take care of that. I am familiar with all the tricks and procedures to maximize my warmth at night time and how to set myself for a good nights sleep. Unless nights get below -5 or so I should be reasonably comfortable. I do not expect to regularly encounter temps that low. Should I?
I do own several different styles of crampons and will have a 6 point instep crampon that can be fitted to lightweight boots in my maildrop (probably Gorham). I am a fit hiker and lead an active lifestyle and mnt bike often. My speed to reach the whites is not set in stone, but looks to be about four weeks.
I'd like to thank everybody for the feedback, some great questions have been raised.

Alligator
06-10-2006, 12:41
I mix about one third boiling water to 2/3 cold in the morning and throw in polar pur. This keeps my water warm throughout the day in my hydration setup. I have a foam cozy for my platypus. In my winter pack, it rides in a kangaroo pocket. It might stay warm in the hydration pocket of the VT though, being up against your back. The polar pur needs to be in a pocket when it's freezing out. Just one suggestion, the fuss factor is about medium here.

I don't think you would regularly get below -5 at all. I think you'll be far enough south by real winter to not have to worry about it.

Dust
06-10-2006, 15:42
Unless nights get below -5 or so I should be reasonably comfortable. I do not expect to regularly encounter temps that low. Should I?

Yes. Perhaps not "regularly" as in most of the time, but you will have these temps in winter especially at higher elevations.