PDA

View Full Version : Some SOBO questions...

murphyw
06-09-2006, 13:43
Hi All,

Just some background first; I tried to NOBO this year, started March 14, made it to north of Erwin when I got off with a stress fracture (around April 18). Bummer; but the doc said I'd be better around the time the SOBOs start, seemed like I should convert my NOBO attempt into a shakedown.

So, I'm aiming for a June 27/28 start. Just mailed off for my reservations at Katdhin Stream Campground. Here are my questions...

1) What are overnight low temps like? I don't expect to get any single-digits or teens like I might have in GA in March. Are low 30's the lowest I can expect in my first month? Maybe colder in the whites? What's the advice for when SOBO's need their winter gear sent to them?

2) After I summit Katdhin and spend the night at Katdhin Stream Campground and hike out of the park, I can resume camping where & when I want like in GA, NC, TN? Or are there special rules in ME that I should be aware of?

3) Does Whitehouse Landing hold packages? What's their address? Is there any other way to "split up" the 100 mile so I'm not carying so much on my newly healed foot?

4) Anyone with a good experience with a shuttler from Bangor to Millinocket or Baxter?

Thanks all for your attention, hope to see some of you out there...

--Bill (aka Pi)

the goat
06-09-2006, 14:22
Hi All,

Just some background first; I tried to NOBO this year, started March 14, made it to north of Erwin when I got off with a stress fracture (around April 18). Bummer; but the doc said I'd be better around the time the SOBOs start, seemed like I should convert my NOBO attempt into a shakedown.

So, I'm aiming for a June 27/28 start. Just mailed off for my reservations at Katdhin Stream Campground. Here are my questions...

1) What are overnight low temps like? I don't expect to get any single-digits or teens like I might have in GA in March. Are low 30's the lowest I can expect in my first month? Maybe colder in the whites? What's the advice for when SOBO's need their winter gear sent to them?

2) After I summit Katdhin and spend the night at Katdhin Stream Campground and hike out of the park, I can resume camping where & when I want like in GA, NC, TN? Or are there special rules in ME that I should be aware of?

3) Does Whitehouse Landing hold packages? What's their address? Is there any other way to "split up" the 100 mile so I'm not carying so much on my newly healed foot?

4) Anyone with a good experience with a shuttler from Bangor to Millinocket or Baxter?

Thanks all for your attention, hope to see some of you out there...

--Bill (aka Pi)

excellent decision, you'll have a blast. that's a good time to start a sobo journey. to answer your q's:
1.) yes, under normal circumstances, low 30's are prob the coldest you will see, even this will be at higher elevations. colder possibilities in the whites (anything is possible there).
2.) yes, after baxter you can pretty much camp wherever you want, except for in the whites. you must camp below tree line, or stay at a hut/ campground. (to be honest though, there are some great stealth sites throughout the whites).
3.)WHL used to hold mail drops in the past, though i have heard that they no longer do so. but they have limited resupply in their little camp store.
4.) no, but twice i've good experiences with shuttlers from virginia to baxter. :D

have a great hike!

murphyw
06-09-2006, 14:48
Thanks The Goat!

Still want to hear from anyone with advice Re: when SOBO's trade in their winter gear and about experiences with shuttle services Bangor<->Baxter.

--Bill

Alligator
06-09-2006, 14:57
It would be cheaper to ride the bus up to Medway from Bangor, then arrange transportation from there. The AT shuttle list is available at this link http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.806835/k.10F4/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm

TJ aka Teej
06-09-2006, 15:15
1) 40s at the lean-tos
2) Nope.
3) Whitehouse stopped taking mail drops two years ago. Anything sent there is refused. WB member Boarstone [email protected] provides food drops in the 100 Mile.
4) Take the bus, it gets you to Medway at about 7:30 PM
5) Check out the Southbounder forum here at Whiteblaze
6) Have fun!

Shutterbug
06-09-2006, 15:49
[quote=murphyw]
4) Anyone with a good experience with a shuttler from Bangor to Millinocket or Baxter? [quote]

If you aren't on a tight budget, Minuteman Taxi from Millinocket will pick you up at Bangor and drop you off at Baxter State Park. I used them last year and it worked out well.

I spent several days exploring Down East Maine and Acadia National Park before I started hiking. I kept the rental car for the day I climbed Mt. Katahdin, then drove back to Bangor to turn in the rental car. Minuteman Taxi picked me up in Bangor and delivered me to the trail head near Abol.

Note: If you have time, there is a Wonderland Trail in Acadia National Park. It is only a one hour hike, but I wanted to hike Wonderland Trails on both coasts. I have hiked the Wonderland Trail in Washington twice and have now also hike the Wonderland Trail in Maine.

TJ aka Teej
06-09-2006, 15:57
If you aren't on a tight budget, Minuteman Taxi from Millinocket will pick you up at Bangor and drop you off at Baxter State Park.
How much were you charged for that, ShutterBug?

Nokia
06-09-2006, 16:50
i found it a very easy hitch from Medway into Millinocket. I stayed at the AT Lodge with Don and then hitched into the park, also very easy. Good luck! maybe I'll see you out there.