PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Gear List Please! :)

lilpuppie
06-09-2006, 21:23
This is what I have so far. I'm open to any suggestions, criticisms, any input anyone would like to give. I'm planning to leave July 1st of this year.. getting down to the wire I know. Trying to get all my other affairs in order.. Thanks in advance!

Item, Brand or Type, Quantity, Weight (in oz's)

Clothing,,,
Socks, Ultimax Mid Hiker, 3 pair
Pants, REI Sahara Convertibles 1
Underwear, REI Midweight MTS Boxers 2,
Long Sleeve Shirt, REI Long Sleeve Wicking Shirt, 1,
LongJohns, REI MTS Top and bottoms 1,
Short Sleeve Shirt, REI MTS Crew, 1,

Jacket,Marmot DriClime Windshirt, 1, 10
Headnet,OR Deluxe Spring Ring Headnet 1, 2.2

Kitchen and Water,,,
Stove, Snow Peak GS-100a Auto 1, 3.75
Fuel, IsoPro Canister 1 big one 13.1
Water Filter, MSR Sweetwater Microfilter 1, 9.7
Pan/Cup,SnowPeak Titanium Trek 700, 1, 4.25
Water Bottle,"Platypus, 1/2 and 1 liter", 1 of each, 1.3

Sleep/Shelter System,,,
Shelter, Hennessy Hammock, 1, 31
Sleeping Bag, Marmot Helium +15, 1, 32
Liner, Cocoon Ripstop Silk Bag Liner 1, 4.7

Misc.,,,
Stuff Sacks, Silnylon Sacks, 3, ??
Multitool, Leatherman Micra, 1, 1.75
Guidebooks, Wingfoot's guide,,

Light, Photon Micro Lite + Petzl Tikka,1, 2.7
Rope or Cord to hang food,ELW100 ParaCord 50', 1, 2

Photography,,,
Camera, Nikon Coolpix 7600, 1, 5.6
Batteries, Energizer L91BP-4 AA Lithium Batteries, 1, 3.2

Outside of Pack,,,
Boots, Montrail Mojave XCR Men's, Maybe Comp XCR?
Trekking Poles, Leki Poles (not sure which ones yet)

Packing,,,
Pack,Granite Gear Vapor Trail,, 32
Pack Cover,,,

Total Weight of listed items: 159.25 ounces

Unsure about what to get:

Hat? What kind? Maybe just a few Bandanna's?
Lighter, matches?
Small lighter and waterproof matches?
"Journal, pencil, etc.",,,
First Aid Kit,?,,
Body Soap,,,
Towel,,,
Toilet Paper,,,
MoleSkin,,,
Dish Soap?
Repair Kit for tent & sewing?,,,
DEET
Extra batteries in bounce box,,,
Another Flash card?,,,

--Jeremy

lonehiker
06-09-2006, 21:31
Have you used any of this gear to see if it works for you? That would be my deciding factor more so than someones elses opinion of my "gear list".

Alligator
06-09-2006, 21:37
I like to have a brimmed hat when I hike, one that goes all around. I would skip the ringed head net, they're awkward to stow. If you have a hat with a brim, then the regular head net works good, just roll it up on the hat when not needed.

A larger platypus, 2-3 liters is nice for camp. Plus, since you are hammocking, you may want to stealth camp. You could load up on water and camp anywhere you like with trees. The 1/2 liter platy is sort of a waste. I can't imagine that another single liter platy would weigh but a few grams more. But again, a larger one is nicer.

How big is your memory card and how many megapixels is the camera?

attroll
06-09-2006, 22:28
I like to have a brimmed hat when I hike, one that goes all around. I would skip the ringed head net, they're awkward to stow. If you have a hat with a brim, then the regular head net works good, just roll it up on the hat when not needed.

I would have to disagree with you on the head net. I have a ringed head net and I prefer it over one without a ring and they stow very easily. All you do is hold the ring on each side and twist and it rolls into itself and becomes 1/4 the size. But to each his own they say.

mdionne
06-09-2006, 23:05
This is what I have so far. I'm open to any suggestions, criticisms, any input anyone would like to give. I'm planning to leave July 1st of this year.. getting down to the wire I know. Trying to get all my other affairs in order.. Thanks in advance!

Clothing,,,

Kitchen and Water,,,

Sleep/Shelter System,,,

Misc.,,,

Photography,,,

Outside of Pack,,,

Packing,,,
Pack Cover,,,

Lighter, matches?
First Aid Kit,?,,
Body Soap,,,
Towel,,,
Toilet Paper,,,
MoleSkin,,,
Dish Soap?
DEET
Another Flash card?,,,

--Jeremy

I'm not sure about your platypus size but I'd get a 3 litre if you can. Also I found just having a change of dry clothes works just as well as a jacket. I think you should stick with lighters and carry two maybe have matches for backup incase both lighters get wet. Nix the dishsoap but bring the moleskin
(even if you don't need it, you'll be someone elses favorite hiker)

Alligator
06-09-2006, 23:33
I would have to disagree with you on the head net. I have a ringed head net and I prefer it over one without a ring and they stow very easily. All you do is hold the ring on each side and twist and it rolls into itself and becomes 1/4 the size. But to each his own they say.I bought a cheap one that doesn't do that:p . When I moved, I didn't need it very often and it was always getting in the way and wound up bent up in my gear box. I finally stuck it in my with my wife's gear because she was the one who wanted it in the first place:banana . So I guess the moral is to buy the good one that collapses if you want one with a ring.

mweinstone
06-09-2006, 23:41
this year on my hike i walked with mrs gorp for a bit. she showed me something witch made me think. she only carrys two little boxes of regular wood matches. ill never take a lighter into the woods again. somthing allways bothered me about two lighters in my pack and now i know what to do about it. im carrying two boxes of regular wood matches for now on. it just doesnt make sence to carry lighters.there uncool,heavy,overkill,enviromentally stupid,hard on frozn thumbs,possibly dangerous,hard to use. matches are cool,easy on the fingers,easy on the enviroment,lighter,not overkill. and they smell good when you use them to light a butt or conversly, to cover up the stink of your butt.matthewski gets gross .

tyro
06-09-2006, 23:57
Sleep/Shelter System,,,

You're going to need some kind of underinsulation for your hammock. The part of the sleeping bag you lay on top of gets compressed and so doesn't provide much insulation. You'll want a sleeping pad or an underquilt.

SGT Rock
06-10-2006, 01:32

Clothing,,,

How about some light fleece gloves and a hat to go with those long johns?

Rain gear?

Kitchen and Water,,,

Food bag?

Sleep/Shelter System,,,

You may want a closed cell foam pad to go with all that

Misc.,,,

I like the new Companion. Check out the on-line version for a preview.

Photography,,,

Outside of Pack,,,

Packing,,,
Pack Cover,,,

Trash compactor bag for pack liner

Lighter, matches?
First Aid Kit,?,,
Body Soap,,,
Towel,,,
Toilet Paper,,,
MoleSkin,,,
Dish Soap?
DEET
Another Flash card?,,,

Bandanna will work.
Get two agjustable flame Scripto lighters. Carry one in your first aid kit and the other with your kitchen stuff.
For a journal just carry some paper and a bic pen.
Body soap you can get away with not needing and just hitting the shower in town. Get some hand cleaner of some type.
Get a pack towel, smallest one. You will like it.
USe duct tape for moleskin.
Get a roll of toilet paper and field strip it.
Make your own first aid kit and see if you can find a sewing kit from a hotel. They have all the little bits you need. Use floss for thread.
You don't need dish soap.
GEt a flash card if you think you need it, they only weigh 2 grams.
Don't worry about bouncing batteries. they sell them everywhere - unless you are talking some specialized batteries.

Panzer1
06-10-2006, 16:42

Lighter, matches?
First Aid Kit,?,,
Body Soap,,,
Towel,,,
Toilet Paper,,,
MoleSkin,,,
Dish Soap?
DEET
Another Flash card?,,,
--Jeremy

I would carry a hat and bandannas. You could get a "mapdanna"
I would carry 2 lighters. One to use and the other for backup. no matches.
I would carry a journal (6-8 oz.), as big as you have space for with a pen, not a pencil.
small bars of soap saved up from visits to hotels.
I would not bring a cloth towel. keep a roll of paper towels in your bounce box and carry about 10 or 15 with you at a time. use 1 or 2 a day.
Keep several rolls of toilet paper in your bounce box and take one when you need it.
You can use shampoo instead of dish soap. you will need less rinse water with shampoo.
keep the repair kit for tent in bounce box.
small container of deet during bug season.

small first aid kit consisting of a couple of frabric band aids, tear open antibotic ointment, motrin, small vasoline for your butt, vitamins, surgical tape to wrap toes, nail clipper, mole skin, small mouth wash

And don't forget a set of maps, camp shoes, watch (with the day so you don't forget what day it is) you can leave the strap for the watch at home, small fanny pack to keep valuables in when you go to the privy, ect.

Hope that helps

Panzer

stoned bear
06-10-2006, 18:03
well I work 3 days a week and let me tell you. I own 4 of everything now because I use something and go out every week so I can be ready for march 2007. The only thing I can say is hike your own hike and get wht you like... But the only thing I dont like about hammock tents is you need to find 2 well spaced trees then if it rains all day and night and the shelter is packed well good luck trying to cook your food and where is your pack going... After 4 tents and a hammock tent im happy with my 3 lb hubba

Seeker
06-11-2006, 00:00
well I work 3 days a week and let me tell you. I own 4 of everything now because I use something and go out every week so I can be ready for march 2007. The only thing I can say is hike your own hike and get wht you like... But the only thing I dont like about hammock tents is you need to find 2 well spaced trees then if it rains all day and night and the shelter is packed well good luck trying to cook your food and where is your pack going... After 4 tents and a hammock tent im happy with my 3 lb hubba

plenty of room and to spare under an 8 x 8 tarp/hammock for me, you, and both our packs, and room to cook and play cards, even in the rain...

Seeker
06-11-2006, 00:29
Water Filter, MSR Sweetwater Microfilter
check into Aqua Mira. it will save you about 7 oz if you like it.

Shelter, Hennessy Hammock
nice. but you'll need something underneath... with a synthetic bag, you might get away with nothing under you in the summer, but not in a down bag.

Pack Cover
garbage bag or trash compactor bag is lighter and your stuff WILL stay dry if you twist the top around a few times and tuck it off to the side.

your choice, but a hat with a brim all the way around is my favorite... keeps the rain out of my eyes and off my glasses, shades my ears, eyes, and neck, and forms a nice shelf for my head net to hang from. baseball cap works ok for rain and eyes, not so good on ears, neck, and bug net.

at least one bandanna... many, many uses...

Lighter, matches?
no matches, two lighters... BIC or Scripto are just about indestructible... i don't understand what a 'wet lighter' is... blow on it a few times to clear the excess water, and it sparks after a few turns of the wheel. one in your cook set, one in your repair kit as a spare. i use a big one and one of the 'mini' ones.

Journal, pencil, etc
i'd go with the pencil over a pen... works on just about anything you need to write on in an emergency, works when wet, works on wet paper, works in the cold, and upside down.

First Aid Kit
you need one, if that's the question. what to put in it is up to you. a couple band aids, pain reliever/anti inflammatory, diarhea medication, and moleskin for sure. vitamins, medications, monkey butt paste, bug bite/anti-itch stuff, neosporin, and larger bandages are also possibilities.

Towel
bandana works, but you could also get a fake chamois cloth made of the same stuff as a Pak-towel, smaller, and a lot cheaper.

Toilet Paper
yes. a good thing to have... multiple uses too... blow nose, clean glasses (not in that order), fire starter, napkin. as mentioned, carry one, bounce others.

MoleSkin
good to have, but duct tape will also work in a pinch.

Dish Soap
i carry a small bottle, used for my body and for the spoon, cup, and pot when they need it. others don't. up to you.

Repair Kit for tent & sewing?
i carry my repair/sewing/first aid kit in a small plastic box. couple plastic twist ties, 1' of really thin wire, 6" of 'tie wire', s couple buttons, a small piece of skeeter netting, a long piece of 1" wide duct tape wrapped around my pencil, and 2 needles and a big straight pin taped to the lid.

DEET
yes. they make really small cans (3oz?), so you don't have to carry the big ones (9-12 oz?)

Extra batteries in bounce box
no. just buy them where you need them.

paradox
06-11-2006, 07:44
I agree with the gloves mentioned above. My hands/knuckles were always getting cut up or bruised until I started with gloves. I use a lightweight glove for sailing that has the tip of the thumb and forefinger removed to press buttons and easily grab zippers, tie knots etc.

goatmilk
06-11-2006, 20:22
don't forget your toothbrush, travel sized toothpaste, dental floss has many uses (cleaning teeth when that annoying piece of food gets jammed, thread for sewing, ummm...I'm sure many others). I like to bring Dr. Bronners Liquid Soap. This can be used for washing up, cleaning cook gear, even brushing teeth. First Aid kit (waterproof) is a must and should include bandaids, antibiotic ointment, sewing needle, advil, pepto-bismol tablets. Does your Leatherman have tweezers? Bandannas (I'm bringing 2, maybe 3) are great to have. Along with my filter I'm bringing a backup supply of chemical treatment tablets for emergency. If you bring a map (was recommended but not on your original list), then you must bring a compass and know how to use them.

I will be bringing one butane lighter and one small box of waterproof matches (in my first aid kit). I am more comfortable with diversity.

What is your plan for photography? I read a great recommendation to bring a few memory cards instead of one large one just in case something happens to the large one. How do you plan on getting your pictures off the card so you can have a clear memory? Or does your card hold enough memory for the whole trip?

Good Luck. :)