PDA

View Full Version : Want to take about 7 months to thru-hike

Michele
06-09-2006, 22:21
So I'm one of those people that want to stretch out my hike as long as possible next year. It may be the only time in my life I can afford to not work for 7 months. I want to really take my time, enjoy myself, etc. I know that in order to complete the trail in 6 months, you have to hike an average of 14 miles per HIKING day (it's 12 miles per day, including zero days...but I don't know how many zero days were figured into that calculation in my book).

So I am starting March 15. How many miles (on average) per HIKING day do I need to go for, in order to take a little less than 7 months? I guess assuming I'll take 1 zero day per week, and a possibility of 3 times when I'll take 4 off in a row for visiting friends. I'm good at math....but not this good! :o Thanks!!

--Michele

Frosty
06-09-2006, 22:55
So I'm one of those people that want to stretch out my hike as long as possible next year. It may be the only time in my life I can afford to not work for 7 months. I want to really take my time, enjoy myself, etc. I know that in order to complete the trail in 6 months, you have to hike an average of 14 miles per HIKING day (it's 12 miles per day, including zero days...but I don't know how many zero days were figured into that calculation in my book).

So I am starting March 15. How many miles (on average) per HIKING day do I need to go for, in order to take a little less than 7 months? I guess assuming I'll take 1 zero day per week, and a possibility of 3 times when I'll take 4 off in a row for visiting friends. I'm good at math....but not this good! :o Thanks!!

--MicheleIf you hike 12 miles a day, it will take you almost exactly 6 months to hike the trail without any zero days. (12 miles a day times 180 days= 2160 miles)

If you take a zero day a week and hike 12 miles the other days, you will take almost exactly 7 months. (You will be averaging 10.28 miles per day figuring in the zero days. 10.28 miles per day times 210 days = 2160 miles)

Buckles
06-09-2006, 23:00
I like your style! What's the hurry?

I'm resigning from the job in February and will be on Springer on March 15. I think you'll quickly get adjusted to 15 mile days. I find it hard to walk slower than that, and I don't have a long stride. Expect to see you there. Go Bucks! (yeah, originally from Ohio). Better hope you're a Spartan fan or prepared to deny your Wolverine affiliation, or it's going to be a long walk to Maine!

:banana

Footslogger
06-09-2006, 23:21
[quote=Michele]So I'm one of those people that want to stretch out my hike as long as possible next year.
=================================
That's our plan for the next thru hike (2010) too. Unless you've got serious deadlines why rush.

'Slogger

map man
06-09-2006, 23:27
214 days in 7 months. One zero day a week means 30 zero days. A possible three other stretches of four straight zero days is 12 more zero days giving you a total of 42 (that's about double the number of zero days the average thru-hiker takes). 42 days from 214 is 172 hiking days. 2175 trail miles divided by 172 hiking days equals about 12.6 miles per hiking day.

And many of your assumptions may be thrown out the window soon after you start hiking! I think you are very smart to plan a smell-the-roses hike instead of planning a high-miles-per-day one. If you get to Katahdin a little quicker than seven months nothing is harmed, but if you plan a speedy hike and discover it's too much, you may find yourself burned out, discouraged, or running short of time to get to Katahdin.

Have a great hike!

Roland
06-10-2006, 06:03
214 days in 7 months. One zero day a week means 30 zero days. A possible three other stretches of four straight zero days is 12 more zero days giving you a total of 42 (that's about double the number of zero days the average thru-hiker takes). 42 days from 214 is 172 hiking days. 2175 trail miles divided by 172 hiking days equals about 12.6 miles per hiking day.

~
Clear, sequential, and no BS. You'd make a good teacher.

Ridge
06-10-2006, 06:08
Don't forget that Baxter SP closes around the first of October, and maybe the trail sooner depending on the weather. The Rangers in the park are not too flexible when it comes to this time of year and the weather conditions that exist. All for your safety, I might add.

Michele
06-10-2006, 07:34
Buckles, wow...that's so cool you're definitely planning on being there March 15 too! We'll definitely have to find each other. As for my sports affiliation....I don't claim to support/like any of them. Big $-making machines like UM and Oklahoma University (where I used to live) make me sad. Being a former university educator, I saw how the students are less the focus and their $ is THE focus. This is how much I'm NOT into it....I didn't even know who you were talking about when you said "Go Bucks!" :D

As for all the help w/the math (especially to map man..that was awesome!) THANKS!! I know I can't even begin to assume what will actually happen once I get out there, but I'm really excited to see that I COULD take that many zero days and still only have to do about 13 miles/day.

I am DETERMINED not to get injured, and I think a big part of that is allowing your body the time to recover and heal itself. I also want to know that if I get to the top of Max Patch on a perfect day, that I could choose to camp there for 2 days if I wanted. I just want to take my time and absorb every little thing. Thanks to everyone for your help....see you next March on the trail!!!

map man
06-10-2006, 08:30
Thanks Roland, being thought capable of being a good teacher is a great compliment, but I was a TA teaching Freshman Composition back when I was working on a Master's degree in English and I discovered teaching was not for me.

Ridge, you have been to Baxter at least the one time when you thru-hiked, while I have not, so I should probably defer to your judgement, but I have always read that Baxter usually closes around October 15. Is that incorrect? It could make a difference in planning for Michele and others.

Lone Wolf
06-10-2006, 08:38
Baxter doesn't close Oct. 15th. Just the campgrounds close. The park is still open for day use till sometime in Nov.

Ridge
06-10-2006, 08:50
.........Ridge, you have been to Baxter at least the one time when you thru-hiked, while I have not, so I should probably defer to your judgement, but I have always read that Baxter usually closes around October 15. Is that incorrect? It could make a difference in planning for Michele and others.

I've never been there that late into the year, I just know that a lot of things depend on the weather around that time of year, you could be right about this date. I would reccomend checking their website, I'm assuming they have one. Also, there are folks here at WB from the Maine A.T. Club that can answer your specific questions. Or, look up their site info located at the ATC site: www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org)

Ridge
06-10-2006, 08:55
I just read L.Wolf's reply, he would know. I do know they have a morning cut off time to summit Katahdin. Just plan on leaving early enough, say before 9am. Again, Im guessing, see if you can locate a website, or maybe L.Wolf can get you the specifics. Good luck.

emerald
06-10-2006, 09:10
Here is the scoop straight from the source:

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html)

Footslogger
06-10-2006, 11:37
Baxter doesn't close Oct. 15th. Just the campgrounds close. The park is still open for day use till sometime in Nov.
==================================
That's a fact !! Rumbler and HikerBikerBabe summitted Katahdin on Halloween (October 30th) in 2003.

'Slogger

emerald
06-10-2006, 12:50
"We cannot emphasize it enough—to avoid disappointment, plan to hike Katahdin by October 15th at the very latest and earlier if at all possible."

Opportunities to climb after October 15 decrease as time wears on and such an ascent is more complex logistically. For hikers with time, money and likely vehicular support, waiting to summit could be an option, but I would rather opt for the sure thing had I hiked all the way from Springer Mountain.:-?

Heater
06-10-2006, 13:07
OK, so the park closes on Oct 15th (cut off date) but you can still climb Katahdin afterwards as long as it is not a class 3 or 4 day?

Ridge
06-10-2006, 13:30
OK, so the park closes on Oct 15th (cut off date) but you can still climb Katahdin afterwards as long as it is not a class 3 or 4 day?

The best thing to do is try and summit well before the 15th, Its not worth the risk.

emerald
06-10-2006, 13:40
People wondering about such issues really need to visit BSP's website to carefully read the information they have provided. It's quite detailed and answers almost anything you could want to know.

I'll repost the link here, 1 level above what I posted earlier. The cutoff times for climbing Katahdin are listed here.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/index.html (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/index.html)

I still think it's best for the vast majority of NOBOs to plan to summit Katahdin by September 30. Those who want more than just a touch of fall foliage and a bit of frost on the tail end of their thru-hike can probably finish October 1-15, but must be prepared to wait for an opportunity. After October 15, vehicular should be pre-arranged, as a round trip from Abol Bridge makes for a long day hike at a time when the number of hours of natural light in which to complete it is much less than in summer.

Ridge
06-10-2006, 13:50
One must think how it would feel to have hiked 2100 miles and the end result would be to have to come back next spring to finish!! Its happened!

Peaks
06-10-2006, 16:07

Yes, plenty of people have done it. Just bear in mind that the later in the season you are, the more apt the trails are going to be closed because of ice and snow, thus making it a class 3 or 4 day.

As others have posted, best to plan for summit day before mid October.

weary
06-10-2006, 16:26
Yes, plenty of people have done it. Just bear in mind that the later in the season you are, the more apt the trails are going to be closed because of ice and snow, thus making it a class 3 or 4 day.

As others have posted, best to plan for summit day before mid October.
What's unclear to me is when the trails close for good, weather or not. I know many climb through October. But November?

Winter rules resume in late December, I understand, but they require more gear, companions and equipment than most thru hikers can muster.

The park authrority says "It is the policy of Baxter State Park to permit climbing on Katahdin as many days as possible. While Katahdin should be closed during hazardous weather conditions, it should not be closed when conditions are not truly hazardous," whatever that may mean.

Rightly or wrongly, Baxter remains the most regulated mountain I know in the east.

Weary

Rust always sleeps
06-10-2006, 16:48
As someone mentioned, once you get in shape you'll find it really hard to only do 12 miles a day. So take it slow, very slow starting out. Not only will you get in the habit of enjoying what's around you, but you'll get in shape gradually and reduce your chances of an injury.

As to those who suggest rushing to avoid the big bad Rangers at Katahdin in October. Baaaah! You'll get there in plenty of time. Take it slow and enjoy.

stoned bear
06-10-2006, 17:11
14 miles a day...6 days a week and each month take 4 days off in a row each month to visit everyone....im planning my through hike about the same time next year also.

Lone Wolf
06-10-2006, 17:16
The park does NOT close Oct. 15th. JUST the CAMPGROUNDS.

The General
06-10-2006, 18:11
Start Mar 15 and dont worry about daily milage, just hike North stop when you want to stop, rest when you want to rest and party when you want to party. Those miles will add up and you will make up any short fall, take your time and enjoy before you know it you will be coming down Kathadin with a backpack full of memories. The great adventure will be over until Springer fever hits you in the spring and the Trail calls your name again and you return.

Michele
06-11-2006, 01:27
I would just die if I got all the way to Baxter and couldn't finish the hike. I know a lot fo beginning thru's get all up tight about miles at first, and injure themselves. I am going to force myself to stay under 10 miles for several weeks (although...I may not be forcing myself...I might just be that damned exhausted and sore!!! :) Nonetheless...slow, steady, and soaking it all in is my hiking philosophy for this adventure of a lifetime. See you out there Stoned Bear!!