PDA

View Full Version : Powerbar Alternatives?

Dave568
06-09-2006, 23:48
I was wondering if anyone could point out some healthier alternatives to a regular Powerbar. I'm looking for some quick snacks for on the trail to provide a quick boost of energy. I have been eating regular Powerbars for a while now, but I was wondering if there was anything better. Thanks for any input.

Hana_Hanger
06-09-2006, 23:57
Organic Food Bars
Some of the best for you but costly.
Most health food stores carry them, if you would like to sample just one.

Buckles
06-09-2006, 23:59
I recently got hooked on Clif Builder bars. An entirely natural protein bar. http://www.clifbar.com/eat/eat.cfm?location=builders 20G of protein! More crispy than chewy. I have taken them on an multi-day hike. It was my breakfast and lunch. Gave me plenty of energy.

Hana_Hanger
06-10-2006, 00:00
As always I hit the button to quick
here is one link about them
http://www.organicfoodbar.com/usa/home.html

map man
06-10-2006, 00:05
I find I don't get tired of the taste of Clif Bars, unlike a lot of other trail foods. Half the carbohydrates in them are compex carbohydrates (slower burning starches) and half simple (quicker burning sugars) so I eat them in conjunction with raisins or other dried fruit (just about all sugar) if I want a good energy boost (I try to minimize processed sugars). The Clif Bars ingredient list (missing a lot of that garbage with the complex chemical names) leads me to believe they're fairly healthy.

No trans fats. Less than half the fat comes from saturated fats. I've heard a lot of people rationalize that you burn fat so fast on the trail that you can get away with consuming unhealthy fats that you are supposed to stay away from in normal conditions, but frankly I think that's wishful thinking. Bad fats should be avoided on the trail, too.

Fahrenheit
06-10-2006, 00:05
Odwalla bars. I don't hike without them, but I like them so much I can't keep them at home because they won't last until my next hike. They come in lots of different flavors but are made with fruits and have protein.

Dave568
06-10-2006, 00:16
Thanks for all of the replies so far. I'm going to try out both the Clif bars and the Organic Food Bars this weekend. A few days ago I tried an Odwalla food bar while doing my own research, and couldn't even take a second bite of it. Maybe it was just the type I got, but the bar tasted quite repulsive. It was some sort of wild berry flavor. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

Fahrenheit
06-10-2006, 00:42
Thanks for all of the replies so far. I'm going to try out both the Clif bars and the Organic Food Bars this weekend. A few days ago I tried an Odwalla food bar while doing my own research, and couldn't even take a second bite of it. Maybe it was just the type I got, but the bar tasted quite repulsive. It was some sort of wild berry flavor. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

Hmm haven't tried that one. The one I always eat is the chocolate chip peanut flavor.

Ridge
06-10-2006, 06:16
Forget buying them, make your on. I got a recipe off the web. Type in "powerbar recipe" on your favorite search engine and sort thru the thousand's of recipes for the right one. The ones I make takes a while and I usually make a mess in the process. But, they are great, they are a lot cheaper and you can adjust the ingredients to suit your taste.

gumball
06-10-2006, 06:21
3 c. oats
3.5 to 4 c of anything else: nuts, raisins, chocolate chips,whey powder, TVP, dried cranberries...etc.
2 T butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Mix and pack down into mini muffin tins. Bake at 375 for about 20 to 25 minutes--hold together great. I carried a bag of them for breakfasts and boosts on a recent 6 day hike. Dipped them in PButter when i needed a little extra za-zoom.

Ridge
06-10-2006, 09:06
Gumball's recipe looks good. You can also use powdered milk, honey and a long list of other stuff in with or without the stuff in that recipe.

gumball
06-10-2006, 11:11
Gumball's recipe looks good. You can also use powdered milk, honey and a long list of other stuff in with or without the stuff in that recipe.
Agreed--I tried this same recipe in the power "bar" form, but it just didn't turn out as well. Still tasty, but broke apart in my pack more easily. Those little muffins worked great, and as Ridge says, you can put just about anything in the recipe. You just need a base to stick together (the oats) and something to stick it together (the evap milk) when it bakes.

Coconut is also quite good in this recipe.

Ridge
06-10-2006, 12:19
I wish I could duplicate the real powerbar, say peanut butter or chocolat, to come out with the same consistancy, struture and taste.
Cheapest place I've found to buy the real bars by the case is at Sams Clubs, I'm sure there are other places as well, the 24 bar variety case was $19.84. I guess not too bad at 83c each.

themooseisloose
06-11-2006, 19:47
Mojo bars. They're made by Cliffbars, but I think they're much better. The mixed nut is my favorite, but the others are good too.

I used to buy them at REI but I can get them cheaper at Whole Foods these days.

http://www.clifmojo.com/

rswanson
06-13-2006, 17:48
I think the Clif bars and Mojo Clif bars taste the best, with but one exception: check out normal Snickers candy bars. Who doesn't like Snickers? Now, compare Snickers' nutritional information to your favorite power bar. And then compare the price. You're going to be shocked.

LostInSpace
06-13-2006, 17:50
Am I the only one on WB that likes Bear Mountain Pemican Fruit & Nut Bars?

Footslogger
06-13-2006, 17:52
If you eat too many of any brand they all start tasting like dirt.

About every other re-supply interval during my thru in 2003 I would grab 4 - 5 of a different type. That kept them tolerable.

'Slogger

Ridge
06-13-2006, 19:31
If you eat too many of any brand they all start tasting like dirt...............'Slogger

Dirt, a nice word to really describe the taste. Even making my own I have to change up the recipe to alter the taste.

SawnieRobertson
06-13-2006, 19:59
On the trail I have used ZonePerfect bars, which kept my blood sugar in balance so that I never was truly hunger. (Of course, I ate 5/day.) Recently, I have come across Larabars which are made of "raw natural food." At an organic place in Johnson City the other day, I picked up a couple of Ketoslims. They were delicious and provided 21 grams of protein.
--Kinnickinic

1Pint
06-13-2006, 20:09
Are cereal bars not good substitutes? I have like 4 different brands and tons of different flavors that I like. They're much cheaper than the Luna, Cliff, Powerbars of the world at $2 - $2.50 a box for 8 or 10. I was planning on using these....don't they provide enough nutrition?

Skidsteer
06-13-2006, 20:18
Are cereal bars not good substitutes? I have like 4 different brands and tons of different flavors that I like. They're much cheaper than the Luna, Cliff, Powerbars of the world at $2 - $2.50 a box for 8 or 10. I was planning on using these....don't they provide enough nutrition?

The cereal bars generally don't contain as much protein but hey! if you like 'em, eat 'em.:)

coldspring
06-13-2006, 20:20
I have a local place where I can get Cliff Bars, Lunas, and Powerbars for 10 cents each. They are slightly out of date, but they work. Not many of the locals know what they are.

Skidsteer
06-13-2006, 20:25
I have a local place where I can get Cliff Bars, Lunas, and Powerbars for 10 cents each. They are slightly out of date, but they work. Not many of the locals know what they are.

10 cents each? Do tell! Is this in Missouri only? Show me! :D

Ridge
06-13-2006, 20:27

do a little research on the nutritional value of the cereal bars vs the "powerbar" stuff. There is a big difference. Its still better to make your own bars or cakes.

betic4lyf
06-13-2006, 23:03
don't now if i missed something, but i enjoy gorp. my version includes large amuounts of dried fruit, granola, and usually m and m's, sometimes the peanut vaiety sometimes not, as a way of avoiding melted chocolate. my favorite fruit is dried cheries

Tinker
06-13-2006, 23:22
http://www.prolithic.com/hpages/efoods/bear.html

I've used these when I can find them (usually at REI, though they didn't have them this spring when I bought food for my Georgia section hike). I like the Fruit 'N Nut best.

betic4lyf
06-13-2006, 23:26
he didnt specifically say it had to be a bar. other good options include bringing fruit

middle to middle
06-13-2006, 23:27
fig neutons, work

Teatime
06-15-2006, 07:45
Whatever happened to the old Hershey's Tropical Chocolate Bars? When I first started backpacking in the 70's, they were my favorite.

Hana_Hanger
06-26-2006, 09:20
I just found these great bars and I am so impressed.
Talk about having all your veggies and fruits while on the trail!

http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/c/nutrition_bar_var_kit.asp

The ReBAR is made from 20 different organic vegetables and fruits including: apple, carrot, spinach, alfalfa, cabbage, (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/The%20ReBAR%20is%20made%20from%2020%20different%20 organic%20vegetables%20and%20fruits%20including:%2 0apple,%20carrot,%20spinach,%20alfalfa,%20cabbage, )broccoli, kale, wheatgrass, celery, rosehip, parsley, cauliflower, cucumber, beets, bell pepper, collards, watercress, bok choy, tomato, and garlic. It would be nearly impossible to get all of these vegetables in your diet every day, but this bar has made it easy. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/broccoli,%20kale,%20wheatgrass,%20celery,%20rosehi p,%20parsley,%20cauliflower,%20cucumber,%20beets,% 20bell%20pepper,%20collards,%20watercress,%20bok%2 0choy,%20tomato,%20and%20garlic.%20It%20would%20be %20nearly%20impossible%20to%20get%20all%20of%20the se%20vegetables%20in%20your%20diet%20every%20day,% 20but%20this%20bar%20has%20made%20it%20easy.)

And the flavor is wonderful—very moist, and naturally sweet. Plus, the ingredients are non-pasteurized, so all of the healthy nutrients are locked in. This includes antioxidants, vitamins A, B, C, D, E, iron, potassium, calcium, beta-carotene, and trace minerals. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/And%20the%20flavor%20is%20wonderful%E2%80%94very%2 0moist,%20and%20naturally%20sweet.%20Plus,%20the%2 0ingredients%20are%20non-pasteurized,%20so%20all%20of%20the%20healthy%20nut rients%20are%20locked%20in.%20This%20includes%20an tioxidants,%20vitamins%20A,%20B,%20C,%20D,%20E,%20 iron,%20potassium,%20calcium,%20beta-carotene,%20and%20trace%20minerals.)

Then there is the Grains'n Greens blends fruits and vegetables with whole grains like kamut, brown rice, millet, and raw seeds including flax, pumpkin, sunflower, and sesame. The delicious, sweet flavor comes from dates, raisins, apples, and molasses. And like the ReBAR, it's organic, with no refined sugars. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/Grains%27n%20Greens%20blends%20fruits%20and%20vege tables%20with%20whole%20grains%20like%20kamut,%20b rown%20rice,%20millet,%20and%20raw%20seeds%20inclu ding%20flax,%20pumpkin,%20sunflower,%20and%20sesam e.%20The%20delicious,%20sweet%20flavor%20comes%20f rom%20dates,%20raisins,%20apples,%20and%20molasses .%20And%20like%20the%20ReBAR,%20it%27s%20organic,% 20with%20no%20refined%20sugars.)

AlsoThe Seeds’n Greens bar gives you four servings of fruits and vegetables. It contains a combination of five different seeds and a touch of honey. They’ve combined them with flavorings from plums—and one of the least-appreciated but most nutritious fruits—pomegranates. These bars are great—they’re sweet, moist, and nutty. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/The%20Seeds%E2%80%99n%20Greens%20bar%20gives%20you %20four%20servings%20of%20fruits%20and%20vegetable s.%20It%20contains%20a%20combination%20of%20five%2 0different%20seeds%20and%20a%20touch%20of%20honey. %20They%E2%80%99ve%20combined%20them%20with%20flav orings%20from%20plums%E2%80%94and%20one%20of%20the %20least-appreciated%20but%20most%20nutritious%20fruits%E2% 80%94pomegranates.%20These%20bars%20are%20great%E2 %80%94they%E2%80%99re%20sweet,%20moist,%20and%20nu tty.)

The Nutritional Supplement Energy Bar also has the four servings of fruits and vegetables. This time they’ve combined it with a delicious chocolate and caramel flavoring. It has a full 12 grams of vegan protein from soy, peanuts and hemp seeds, and 23 vitamins and minerals. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/The%20Nutritional%20Supplement%20Energy%20Bar%20al so%20has%20the%20four%20servings%20of%20fruits%20a nd%20vegetables.%20This%20time%20they%E2%80%99ve%2 0combined%20it%20with%20a%20delicious%20chocolate% 20and%20caramel%20flavoring.%20It%20has%20a%20full %2012%20grams%20of%20vegan%20protein%20from%20soy, %20peanuts%20and%20hemp%20seeds,%20and%2023%20vita mins%20and%20minerals.)

Anyway for anyone wanting GOOD for you ...well here is some good n plenty! Not bad at just over $2 a bar, for what you are getting.

Of course one must still travel with chocolate and good old fashion Snicker Bars right? :D

Lanthar Mandragoran
06-26-2006, 10:25
Roll (Bar) Your Own (http://www.mensjournal.com/healthFitness/0605/nutrition_superfood.html)

Saw that in a recent magazine and figured I'd share.

Skyline
06-26-2006, 10:39
I much prefer Gu or PowerGel or ClifShots. PowerBars take too long to eat.

In the more commonly available category, I like Nature Valley's Trail Mix Fruit & Nut, and their Sweet & Salty Nut Peanut Granola Bars.

MOWGLI
06-26-2006, 10:42
The attached recipe (Dog Turds) appears in the current edition of Blue Ridge Country magazine. It was developed by a good friend who is a chemical engineer. He designed the recipe for optimal nutrition & energy.

white rabbit
06-26-2006, 11:42
I like the Zone Perfect bars. They are higher in protein than Cliffs and have about the same amount of carbs. They also weigh and cost less. I will try some of the recepies and make my own though.

Smile
06-26-2006, 12:22
Got the bar for you!

www.organicfoodbar.com

Raw, organic 300 calories + each bar, keep forever, yummy and delicious!
You can also get their active green bars, great for the hut on a long hike. I would not hike without them!

Most "health bars" are acid-forming processed dead food with arfiticial sweeteners and ingredients. These bars are cold processed, enzymatically active and VEGAN. No Preservative, additive, coatings, peanuts or dairy. Gluten free.

I'll bet if you write to them they might send you a sample bar or two!
Good rule of thumb - if you can't actually identify the ingredients on the package - don't bother putting this into your body.

It's interesting that we will never put water in our cars instead of gas when we are low on cash - but we won't spend a little $ to put pure fuel in our bodies - and then expect them to work properly.

Granola Mamma
08-26-2006, 19:08
Um, I think I can post this as a member. Our family does granola and granola bars. We also offer a discount for WhiteBlaze members on our web site. We use organic where we can, and we do not add preservatives. The only place you'll find things like that in our bars is if it's in a specific ingredient. Like our Cookies n Cream bars actually have REAL Oreos, and tons of them too. So, if it's in Oreos, then it's in our bar, etc. We try to keep our prices low since we're just a family bakery. But we've been doing this for years and we sell to Dean and DeLuca of Charlotte and places like Grove Park Inn and Spa. We get $15 for a dozen of fresh-made bars. Our bars are not stockpiled, we make them fresh when you order them. We will be sending up granola for the hiker feed, if someone lets us know about when it is! So be sure to stop by www.hearthstringfoods.com (http://www.hearthstringfoods.com) and be sure to use your WhiteBlaze discount by entering the discount code when you check out! The code is WB2006! Hope that helps someone!

nano
08-26-2006, 19:41
If you're looking for a bar thats taste just like what the package says it tastes like while getting a high cal/oz ratio, I would suggest the LARABAR. The apple pie is my favorite and all the ingerdients are raw. Dates, walnuts, raisins, almonds, cinnamon. They cannot be crushed & they are $1.29 per bar. But like someone stated before, always mix things up because becasue I get sick of any bar after a long period of time.:dance

Smile
08-26-2006, 19:42
They sound yummy!

Jack Tarlin
08-26-2006, 20:25
Thanx guys, but all in all, I'll stick to Snickers.

A quick comparison of a regular sSnickers compared to a Peanut Butter Power Bar reveals:

*The Snickers weighs less
*The Snickers has more calories
*The Snickers has more Fat, and more calories from Fat
*The Snickers has more Sodium
*Differences in Total Carbs, Sugars, Protein are small or negligible
*The Snickers is more than one dollar cheaper!
*The Snickers is available everywhere
The Snickers sure in hell tastes better

As far as the other things go, Potassium, B12, Zinc, Magnesium, blah, blah, blah, well I get all that and more in my daily vitamin.

In short, I haven't bought a Power Bar in years, and I don't miss 'em.

FanaticFringer
08-26-2006, 22:05
I recently got hooked on Clif Builder bars. An entirely natural protein bar. http://www.clifbar.com/eat/eat.cfm?location=builders 20G of protein! More crispy than chewy. I have taken them on an multi-day hike. It was my breakfast and lunch. Gave me plenty of energy.

This is a great bar. It has much more protein than most any. The problem with this bar and many of the Luna Bars is they will melt in your pack. No fun opening up a goowy bar. They may make some with no chocolate coating though. One thing I do is take a new product from Kashi on the trail. It is called TLC (tasty little chewies ). Very healthy and up to 7 grams protein per bar. Very small bars. I add these to my Cliff Bars. Get mine at Publix.

Granola Mamma
08-26-2006, 22:59
On our bars, they are $1.25 each BEFORE the WB discount. They can be made with no coating, though we use yogurt coating or chocolate/dark chocolate. They can withstand being smooshed, and still taste great, but they are soft and do break. We send them on mission trips with our missionary boys who backpack in the mtns of Peru and Honduras for weeks at a time and they have been blessed to have them along. They said that even if they did melt, the packaging was easy enough to open out to still enjoy the great taste. We have over 55 flavors, many are seasonal. Right now we are bring out our Grandma's Hot Apple Pie, Candy Caramel Apple, Banana Nut Bread, Warm Maple Pecan or Maple Brown Sugar. We also have Double Chocolate Peanut Butter, Carolina Sunset, Blue Ridge Protein Bars, 7-Layer Cookie, and many more. All but 2 of our flavors can be made with no-sugar-added or with Splenda too. In stores our bars sell for up to $2.09 per bar and we make over 1,000 of them a week. We are fully inspected too. We are going to be providing free granola to the Hiker's Feed in Sept so if you go to that, you'll get to try it. Let us know if we can help any further!

Granola Mamma
08-26-2006, 23:01
Oh, one other thing. If anyone is in the Carolinas and would like a FREE SAMPLE of any of our products, we'll get them to you.

MedicineMan
08-27-2006, 01:12
and i'll add PayDay to the list of cheaper alternatives that still have much fat and protein...and the salted nuts are good too.

Mr. Clean
09-07-2006, 16:49
3 c. oats
3.5 to 4 c of anything else: nuts, raisins, chocolate chips,whey powder, TVP, dried cranberries...etc.
2 T butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Mix and pack down into mini muffin tins. Bake at 375 for about 20 to 25 minutes--hold together great. I carried a bag of them for breakfasts and boosts on a recent 6 day hike. Dipped them in PButter when i needed a little extra za-zoom.

I finally tried this recipe and they are delicious! The wife is excited to try some variations, like grated carrot for carrotcake flavor, etc. I did find that you get a better "bar" by using the muffin top pans instead of the mini pans. The minis we are calling trail dots, which are still pretty darned good.
Thanks, Gumball, for the recipe.:banana

Smile
09-07-2006, 16:57
Granola Momma, are the bars organic?

gumball
09-08-2006, 04:48
I finally tried this recipe and they are delicious! The wife is excited to try some variations, like grated carrot for carrotcake flavor, etc. I did find that you get a better "bar" by using the muffin top pans instead of the mini pans. The minis we are calling trail dots, which are still pretty darned good.
Thanks, Gumball, for the recipe.:banana

Hey, glad you liked them! I mix lots of different things in them--most recently I put in some dark chocolate cocoa powder and made little chocolate ones. It was a good move! I'll check out the muffin top pans, thanks for the tip :) Happy hiking--gum

NICKTHEGREEK
09-08-2006, 06:31

Clif bars are my favorite, there have been some really great flavors but a wide variety is hard to find.

Granola Mamma
09-11-2006, 20:50
Sorry, we've been off line trying to keep up because we had 2 girls off for a week and my daughter and I have been swamped! Then throw in computer challenges and OY! Ok, the bars are not organic, but the granola IS made with certified organic oats. And for anyone wanting or waiting on granola samples from us, thanks for being patient, it's been running nutty here since the beginning of August! Anyone interested, granola and bars, we have samples and sample packs FREE FOR THE ASKING. Let us know of any allergies, but other than that, it's baker's choice. Also, do let us know if you want protein bars or regular granola bars.

Thanks ya'all!
Granola Mamma