PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to be cold?

WileyBruin
06-10-2006, 13:33
New to the forums here, lots of great information. I am a greenhorn at the whole hiking thing but used my first hammock a few weeks ago (old mil-surp jungle hammock). I had some stability and weight issues with it so I've ordered a Hennessy Hammock. I'm doing the section of the AT through Shenandoah NP in July/August. It gets hot and humid that time of year here in VA and was wondering if you all thought an underquilt of pad were going to be necessary in order to sleep comfortable at summer temps?
Any help is appreciated!

Phreak
06-10-2006, 15:22
I use my HH year round and don't use an underquilt or sleeping pad. I simply use a warmer sleeping bag.

Kerosene
06-10-2006, 15:37
You certainly shouldn't need an underquilt for summer. I think you would find that a w-i-d-e, but thin, sleeping pad that wraps around your shoulders and hips would keep cold spots from forming (which will happen with any down sleeping bag, regardless of rating) if nighttime temps drop below 60F. A number of hammockers cut down a Oware pad (http://www.owareusa.com/foampads.html), which works pretty well if you can put up with the inevitable "wrinkling" underneath you and condensation. Note that you can go without a pad if it's warm enough, although 'skeeters can suck your blood right through the nylon!

WileyBruin
06-10-2006, 16:16
I didn't use a pad this last time, simply got inside of my 25 degree bag. I did get cold one night doing that in the jungle hammock so I suppose I'll need to look into the pad thing.

On a separate note, anyone ever been investigated by and non-insect woodland creatures while hanging from the trees? Our campsite looked over closely by a 2am Whitetale buck. Too bad they don't come that close when you're actually hunting...

DavidR
06-10-2006, 18:14
I don't think you will have a problem during that time of year. You may want to take a torso length pad just in case but you shouldn't have a problem. I'm usually comfortable down to around 50 with a torso length pad and my 32 degree bag.

jlb2012
06-10-2006, 18:39
torso length pad plus a mini pad just for your feet inside your bag would probably cover you

wrt the 'skeeters - you won't see them up on the ridge in SNP (where the AT is located) - you have to drop off the ridge before skeeters become an issue - gnats on the other hand will suck your blood but they can't do that through the nylon

WileyBruin
06-10-2006, 23:31
Wow, thanks for all the help. Keep the suggestions coming this way. These are, by far, the most helpful forums I've ever been a party to.

BigToe
06-10-2006, 23:49
Best thing IMHO is to set up in your backyard and try out your arrangement. Everybody sleeps differently.

My son did SNP last year in June in his HH, sleeping bag and a pad (from a design on the 'Net using truck windshield reflector and fleece). He was cold to the point of discomfort on many nights.

I have the JRB 3 Season Quilts (over and under) and use that even this time of year. I find my back gets cold with just a sleeping bag. If I get too warm I just move the top quilt away.

You'll get lots of advice but best thing is to find your best personal fit.

joec
06-11-2006, 09:25
Just wondering if you guys would take a underquilt if you had one to be sure. I am going on my first hike with hammocks in late July to Harpers Ferry area. I have purchased underquilts for both our hammocks. I don't want to haul in undequilts if I don't need them. No use trying it in my backyard, eastern NC in July is a steam bath and it would not be a fair comparsion that time of yr. I will probably take them regardless to make sure my wife if comfortable, but could leave mine at home.

Spock
06-11-2006, 19:21
joec,
You are right, the HF area will be pretty hot in July. However, if the temperature gets much below 70 at night, you may get uncomfortable unless you either use a regular sleeping bag or put a pad under you (if using a quilt). The pad will work down to maybe 45 or 50, depending on the pad and you. After that, for sure, and maybe before, you will need the underquilt. You might check the low temp history of the area you plan to travel. Probably you won't need any more than your sleeping bag, and maybe not that until about 4 am.

fivefour
06-13-2006, 14:50
Just wondering if you guys would take a underquilt if you had one to be sure. I am going on my first hike with hammocks in late July to Harpers Ferry area. I have purchased underquilts for both our hammocks. I don't want to haul in undequilts if I don't need them. No use trying it in my backyard, eastern NC in July is a steam bath and it would not be a fair comparsion that time of yr. I will probably take them regardless to make sure my wife if comfortable, but could leave mine at home.

(wilmington, NC eh ?)
this all depends on how cool you like to sleep too. i like it COLD when i sleep (which is hard to achieve in a tent sometimes) and have had no problems so far without a pad in the current temps. other ppl may find it uncomfortable at these lower temps however.

peter_pan
06-14-2006, 09:27

I always take my under quilt and use it...if warm, "open the windows".... nice to know that you have the gear to support unexpected drops in temps, which occurs all too often in the mtns....my $0.02.

Pan

WileyBruin
06-14-2006, 09:42
Why are underquilts so ridiculously expensive. You pay 119 for a HH Expedition Asym, then you gotta spend 2-300 bucks to be warm in it? Seems for that ammount of money maybe I should have just gotten a tent and the best sleeping pad on the market and slept warmly on the ground. Not to mention that if you've added all these extra pieces to your hammock... is there really any weight-savings over a small tent like the MSR Zoid 1? Have I gone astray here?

Fiddleback
06-14-2006, 10:06
Hammocks are not just about weight. Nor does everyone need the add-ons to stay warm.

There is some major convenience to be found in hammock hanging...most notably the ease of finding campsites/lack of worry about level, smooth, dry sites. But there are arguments on the other side too. Personally, I think the hammock argument wins out.

Warmth, no matter what equipment used, is very much a personal issue. What works for some isn't adequate for others. In these threads you'll find hammock hangers that were cold at temps in the 50s while others (yours truly) have yet to experience nighttime temps that warm:) . Some need the $300 of accessories, many don't. To date, the only thing I've added to the hammock is a 7oz pad which has kept me comfortable to the mid-20s.

With my Hennessy I experience freedom, convenience and weight savings over what I would with a tent. That weight savings might fall away if I used a tarp set up but...

The paramount feature of hammocks is their comfort...for most of us, it's the best night's sleep ever experienced on the trail...if you stay warm;) .

FB

stag3
06-14-2006, 10:14
Why are underquilts so ridiculously expensive. You pay 119 for a HH Expedition Asym, then you gotta spend 2-300 bucks to be warm in it? Seems for that ammount of money maybe I should have just gotten a tent and the best sleeping pad on the market and slept warmly on the ground. Not to mention that if you've added all these extra pieces to your hammock... is there really any weight-savings over a small tent like the MSR Zoid 1? Have I gone astray here?

The weight savings debate has been on WB several times. The answer depends on what you carry:D . In my case I save about 1 pound with my HH.

You don't need to spend $$$$ for underthings. Lots of us use the $12 walmart blue egg crate pad. My egg crate was warm at 29 F. You could spend a little more and make some egg crate pads for the sides--keeps you away from the instant cold when you sleping bag compresses against the side of the hammock.

BTW, I find my HH more comfortable than any tent, plus I don't need to searh for flat land free of rocks and other stuff. That said, you will find a lot of tenters on WB.

Just Jeff
06-14-2006, 11:30

B/c they're made from high-quality materials (down), and high-quality construction is expensive - especially for cottage makers, before high production rates introduce economies of scale. Try comparing the JRB with similar products, like Nunatak or Feathered Friends.

There are also synthetic quilts for much cheaper at www.kickassquilts.com (http://www.kickassquilts.com)

Weights vary, but are generally a few ounces heavier based on systems that people actually carry. Risk has a 0F setup that weighs 3 lbs 11 oz, though. Here are more comparisons:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockGroundWeights.html

You don't "need" underquilts, but many people find them more comfortable and easier to sleep with at night than pads. But plenty of others just use plain old CCF pads in hammocks - as long as it works, stick with it. Here are lots of options - various weights and costs:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

But in the end, it's more about comfort and convenience for most hammockers. Comparing a 6 oz pad on the ground, under a tarp with no bug protection, is hardly the same as sleeping in a cloud wherever you can find two trees. YMMV.

WileyBruin
06-14-2006, 12:55
Awesome Link JustJeff, I really appreciate it.

Just Jeff
06-14-2006, 14:51
Glad you found it useful. Hammocks aren't for everyone, but most people who try them stick with them, at least for the warmer months. There are a few here who couldn't get comfortable in them...keep an eye out for the occasional HH for sale if you're interested.

WileyBruin
06-14-2006, 14:57
Oh my HH expedition asym will be here tomorrow w/ snakeskins. I had done some camping in an old Mil Surp hammock which I found quite confortable and convenient but admitedly a bit cold one night.

titanium_hiker
06-15-2006, 00:24
I know it's a bit late for you now, but I didn't go the HH route and saved some cash, I made my own hammock, as have many others here.

Weird tip: if your feet are cold, try adding socks. If you already have socks on, try taking them off. It works, I swear!

Beanies are good for maintaining heat.

My first night in a hammock I froze! but then the next night I wore a LOT more- and put a pad into the hammock. Love sleeping in the hammock...

titanium_hiker

bigcranky
06-15-2006, 13:59
In warm weather, I like to use a 3/4 length RidgeRest pad under my torso when the nighttime temps get below 70. It's also useful when I take breaks, and I can sort of use it in a shelter if I really really need to.

In 2003 we set up hammocks next to Whitetop Laurel Creek, under the long bridge where the AT meets up with the Creeper Trail. Something very large was snuffling and snorting around at about 2 a.m. -- sure sounded like a bear, but being coccooned in my hammock, I didn't venture out to see for myself. Also didn't get much sleep the rest of the night <g>.

Vi+
06-15-2006, 14:04
WileyBruin,

You ask (Post #4), “(A)nyone ever been investigated by and non-insect woodland creatures while hanging from the trees? Our campsite looked over closely by a 2am Whitetale buck.”

Don’t worry.

I don’t hang in a hammock. I usually sleep in a sleeping bag on a mattress pad when there’s no threat of precipitation. I keep my shoes near my head to dissuade creatures from chewing on them or carrying them off for their salt value. Occasionally upon awakening I discover hairs from deer inside my shoes, evidence of their curiosity and almost casual investigation.

After a while, you’ll sleep right through the bed checks.

I haven’t seen, but have heard tales from several different campers of, bear ducking beneath a tarp, searching for food, then leaving without ever awakening the hikers sleeping under the tarp.

P.S. Sort of a ghost story for hikers: If you want to get nervous about sleeping in a hammock, think "bear pinata."

WileyBruin
06-15-2006, 14:22
haha. The deer can check out my camp all they want. I don't mind them a bit. Its my almost completely unfounded, irrational, and over-the-top fear of being a bear enchilada in my sleeping bag, or perhaps an afternoon snack whilst wandering down the trail that led to my trail name "WileyBruin" being that I am oft teased for being so scurred of them.

Vi+
06-15-2006, 16:03
WileyBruin,

After all is said and done about black bears, you need to realize - and you should really, REALLY internalize this - if bears meant us harm, we’d have made them extinct long ago. They have numerous abilities to outdo us physically. They choose not to.

I’ve bumped into bears on numerous occasions, hiking, waling the dog, or just walking out of the house. One was coming by Tuesdays, making his rounds, but missed this week. They always impress me. The latest guy, the last time, was sitting outside the house to the right. I left the house, turned left, and missed him. After several minutes, I looked around and he was just sitting in the yard, as if he was a neighbor’s big friendly dog waiting to play.

I got a rifle and shot in the air well over his head. He turned and ambled off seeming sad. I feel badly about our meetings; I’m the one who turns them negative. I’d love to toss them apples but if we feed them they’ll keep coming around. I remind myself, they’re not friendly dogs. If they keep coming around, hunters will shoot and kill them quickly, or cripple them killing them slowly. Bears are big and strong, and hungry. They become destructive while searching for food that's difficult to find, and eventually will damage things I can't afford to keep replacing if I allow them to lose their fear of man.

Bears, to my way of thinking, arrive with one of two personalities; they’re either looking for food, or believe they've found food. If a bear has found food - and the trick is realizing when that is - leave it alone, even if you had mistakenly thought it was your food. Otherwise, given half a chance, a bear will leave.

I suggest you learn as much about black bears as you can. Read online, read books, and ask questions. Learn enough and you won't be scared, don’t become arrogant, just remain cautious.

Just Jeff
06-15-2006, 16:35
On a separate note, anyone ever been investigated by and non-insect woodland creatures while hanging from the trees?

We have lots of wildlife in my neighborhood, and several times I've had coons come up to me when I hammock in the backyard. Once, two were playing and they chased each other right underneath my hammock without noticing I was there. I usually make a noise before they get too close so I don't spook them - they just sit there and look at me for a while before moving on - but this time they flew in so fast I didn't even wake up until they were past.

Other than coons in my backyard, and a possum in a campground (why I don't like campgrounds), that's about it for me.