PDA

View Full Version : A good day or weekend hike?

Travel_Girl82
06-11-2006, 01:50
I will be joining a thru hiker later this summer and I would like to condition myself so that I won't slow him down too much when that time comes. I am in the south west/west central part of Ohio (Dayton). I would like to find a few places with challenging elevation changes for either day hikes or weekend hikes. I am willing to travel some (anywhere in Ohio and parts of any of the surrounding states). Also at some point before I leave (early September) I'd like to also make a week hike, so I'd be willing to drive a bit farther for that one. Any suggestions? :sun

maxNcathy
06-11-2006, 11:09
Hi Jennifer/Travel Girl

If Damascus Va. is not too far, call Tom at Mount Rogers Outfitters or Steve at Sun Dog Outfitters in Damascus.. They helped me plan a great hike in April. Have fun,Max

Skidsteer
06-11-2006, 11:19
I would like to find a few places with challenging elevation changes for either day hikes or weekend hikes. I am willing to travel some (anywhere in Ohio and parts of any of the surrounding states). :sun

Send a PM to Big Ben (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=6871). He can probably help with info about hikes in OH.

Buckles
06-11-2006, 11:26
Originally from Ohio. I think you'll need to leave the state to get any elevation change. The highest elevation in Ohio is approx. 1,500 ft., and there's no vertical change around it worth a mention.

Micky
06-11-2006, 13:08
Try Knob Stone in southern Indiana. It's a great trail. All the ups and downs you want.:sun

bigben
06-11-2006, 17:44
You've been PMed. While Ohio sux for sheer elevation, it can still be excellent training for the southern AT. I don't care who you are, going up and down 300-500 ft unswitchbacked climbs one after another ad nauseum WILL prepare you for the AT. Maybe not New Hampshire and Maine, but GA-VA, yes. I had ZERO trouble with Amicalola to Neel's carrying 51 lbs, and I ONLY trained on Ohio. And I weigh 275lbs, so I'm no marathoner/ultrafit dude.

Bigben

teachergal
06-11-2006, 18:51
Try Shawnee State park in south central OH - it looks nothing like the rest of Ohio - hills and such...they have a very nice car campground as well.

Also - Hocking Hills State Park - it's more Eastern OH, but we did it as a day trip from Cincinnati once. They have a gorge that is just beautiful maybe not super hilly - but the decsent into the gorge and back out is pretty steep.

Another possiblity - although I have never been there - is Red Rock Gorge, I think that's the name and it's in KY somewhere...