PDA

View Full Version : Walking back to my house

Old Hillwalker
06-11-2006, 10:39
During the long and exciting process of planning my thru hike upon retirement in eighteen months, the following thought has occurred. I live a mile from the AT in rural western NH and it might be fun upon reaching the summit of Katahdin to announce that I am going to walk home. Then turn around and do so. I say this because I have read and talked to finishers who felt like they were at a loss, and what next?

Of course I've got to get there first:-?

Lone Wolf
06-11-2006, 10:41
The majority of hikers can't wait to get off the trail.

T-Dubs
06-11-2006, 11:41
...upon retirement in eighteen months

I am at that same point in my life, retiring in the next year or so. My first window of opportunity to hike the AT would be in '08. Is that your plan, too; a Georgia start in the Spring of '08?

Tom

SGT Rock
06-11-2006, 12:12
Not a bad thought at all. I have thought about the same sort of thing. I live in Tennessee only a few miles from the AT. I have thought about going SOBO when I retire and basically walk home.

attroll
06-11-2006, 13:20
You can always planning on doing that and make the decision when you reach the end on whether you want to turn around and hike home. You have over 2,175 miles to think about it and decide.

Old Hillwalker
06-11-2006, 14:13
It's gonna seem weird walking through the section that I maintain, the other section that I corridor monitor, and past my house in the woods. I figure that I would get my daughter to come up and power the house up and prepare a banquet for me and anyone who happens to be hiking with me at the time:D