PDA

View Full Version : Cool nights on AT - what to carry?

grrickar
06-11-2006, 11:57
I'm headed out with Buzzsaw and the gang for our annual section hike on the AT week after next. We are starting at Carver's Gap, and headed to either Sam's or Rice Gap over a 6 day period. I'm only carrying a Kelty 45 degree lightyear (it is no good at that temp, but I do not expect it to get that cold either) and a thermarest prolite 3 pad. I'll be tenting in my MSR Hubba. What do you guys suggest I carry for cool nights (say after a rain?). I have plenty of cool and cold weather gear, and likely only need something to stay warm in camp for the occasional cool night. I had considered carrying a lightweight primaloft jacket, but I think that is overkill. I am now just considering a long sleeve synthetic shirt just in case.

jlb2012
06-11-2006, 19:48
a bottle you can fill with hot water just in case it gets too cool for your gear - cover with a sock or something similar and stick it between your legs in the bag

of course if you are talking about sitting around with the group in the camp then wrap your self with your bag - looks odd but it works

fiddlehead
06-11-2006, 21:55
I would take a 200 weight fleece top along.

max patch
06-11-2006, 23:10
I always take my fleece.

Just Jeff
06-11-2006, 23:28
You can put that hot water bottle under your shirt/rainjacket and it'll keep you pretty warm, too.

I use a soft-sided Nalgene with the wide mouth - I put the bladder against my femoral artery (in the hip) and poke the wide mouth out the top of my pants (no jokes here, pls). My waistband keeps it in place as long as I'm not moving around much...helps quite a bit.

chicote
06-12-2006, 08:38
Why not carry it? If you don't think the weight will kill you. Then it would make a great pillow too!

Alligator
06-12-2006, 08:51
I carry a primaloft vest and a lightweight microfleece top this time of year.

Sierra98
06-17-2006, 22:38
That's a great idea!

I use a soft-sided Nalgene with the wide mouth - I put the bladder against my femoral artery (in the hip) and poke the wide mouth out the top of my pants (no jokes here, pls). My waistband keeps it in place as long as I'm not moving around much...helps quite a bit.[/quote]

Vi+
06-18-2006, 16:50
Boy, Hog On Ice and Just Jeff (Posts #2 & #5) pi$$ me off.

Their ideas are SO-OH obvious.

Filling a water bottle with hot water, then either putting it between your legs in your sleeping bag, or under your top, for warmth. Using the soft-side, wide mouth, Nalgene bottle in the pants for moving about is a great modification.

So, for being so obvious, why didn’t I get these great ideas?

Thanks guys. I can foresee times when these techniques could become extremely valuable,

grrickar
06-18-2006, 20:56
Hmm,, would one of those hot patch thyingies against the leg do as well as the hot nalgene? I don't carry nalgenes because of the weight. I am carrying the mid-weight fleece and a sleeping bag liner.