PDA

View Full Version : campsites between falls village CT and MA

landcruzr
06-11-2006, 15:44
looking for any info or recomendations for campsites between falls village CT and southern MA- will be spending time in that area during last week of June-Thanks

gsingjane
06-11-2006, 21:19
I would suggest that you at least get the free AT map that's provided at most of the trailheads and use that to plan your trip. Depending on how fast you hike, you could probably do that 15-mile section in a day. You may not wind up camping in CT at all, but might press on to Sage's Ravine.

In order from Falls Village, you have Limestone Springs (I love this site, it is about 1/2 mile from the trail but it's beautiful with a wonderful water source); then you have Plateau, just past Salisbury (I do NOT like this site, there's nothing there and it's way too close to the road); then in very quick succession you have Riga Lean-to (beautiful view), Ball Brook Campsite, and Brassie Brook shelter; then you're up and over Bear Mtn., past CT and into MA already.

If I had to pick one of these to stay in, I'd pick Limestone, but I don't know if that helps you much because it's only a short hike from Falls Village to Limestone. Maybe if you want to stay in the area, you could head south along the Housatonic for a few miles and then turn around and hike back up to Limestone. That might make a nice day's hike.

I hope you get good weather! It's been chilly here again (and rainy) lately!

Jane in CT

Kevin A. Boyce
06-12-2006, 11:38
FYI... You can also reference for free the ALDHA companion online. And here is a handy map that I use often for reference purposes when I cannot get to my official AT maps...

http://www.pdcarto.com/common/STR.jpg

I would also suggest the Sages Ravine campsite and the Laurel Brook just up the AT(less then 2 miles apart) in MA from Sages Ravine. I just did a day hike through that area yesterday and the sites look great, Sages is nice if you enjoy the sound of rushing water to put you to sleep.

There is also the campsite at Race Brook, which is getting a facelift this upcoming weekend from the AMC. There is also the Hemlock and Glen Brook shelters as well just north of Mount Everett.

Water is not an issue, many streams, brooks, and springs are running very well from the recent rains,

I agree with Jane, the distance between Falls Village and the CT/MA border is pretty short, even if you are slow and stopping to smell the flowers, you can pretty easily do this whole section in one day. I also have to second her comment about the Riga lean to, my personal favorite lean to in the area... Great views and amazing sunrises. It would be a decent hike from Falls Village to there.

Enjoy your hike!
KevBoy

landcruzr
06-12-2006, 21:30
thanks for the replies- the reason I 'm looking for info on any and all sites is because I will have my 11 year old son in tow-nd I dont want to push so hard that it isnt enjoyable- we may try to make riga for the first night- many have spoken highly of that lean to
thanks again
Landcruzr

gsingjane
06-13-2006, 08:29
I think it's smart not to push your son too hard. I hike with my 11 year old daughter and when we first started, 8 mpd was about our top limit. Have fun, you will love CT!

Jane in Ct

p.s. I'll be out with my 7 yo and 11 yo daughters (it's the 7 yo's very first bp trip!) in that same general area around the beginning of July, so we might even run into you!

landcruzr
06-13-2006, 21:43
Sorry Jane, but I think We'll miss you- Have to be off the trail and back to the real world by the last friday in june- but being fairly local(CT) we'll keep ours eyes out for you in the future
8MPD is about what I'm aiming for- but not set in stone- if he wants more- We'll do more- If he wants less-Then we'll do less- the object of this trip is to make him want to come out again and again :)
Thanks again
Landcruzr