PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer Inline Water PURIFIER

eArThworm
06-11-2006, 17:27
Just roaming around the Web and found the Sawyer Inline Water Purifier
<https://sawyerfamilyprotection.com/products.asp> -- there's also an Inline
Filter, among other products. Maybe this is newly released--I can't find any
reviews. Anyone know anything about it? or can find reviews I haven't?
It's a pricey item ($110), but if it PURIFIES at the rate I drink, it would be a
marvelous thing to have for a water bladder. Even the FILTER ($42) would be
great.

Skidsteer
06-11-2006, 18:17
. Anyone know anything about it? or can find reviews I haven't?
It's a pricey item ($110), but if it PURIFIES at the rate I drink, it would be a
marvelous thing to have for a water bladder. Even the FILTER ($42) would be
great.

No, but if it really purifies up to 3000 gallons it's a bargain at that price. Almost sounds too good to be true.

Here's a link to an in-line filter by ULA that can be used with a hydration bladder and is fairly inexpensive at $22.00.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/order.htm

The replacement filter for the Amigo is all you'll need if you're using it in-line on your bladder.

attroll
06-11-2006, 19:06
No, but if it really purifies up to 3000 gallons it's a bargain at that price. Almost sounds too good to be true.

Here's a link to an in-line filter by ULA that can be used with a hydration bladder and is fairly inexpensive at $22.00.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/order.htm

The replacement filter for the Amigo is all you'll need if you're using it in-line on your bladder.
Skidsteer, do you have any experience with this filter you suplied the link to? I am wondering how hard you have to draw on the hose to pull water from the bladder through the filter to get to you?

Skidsteer
06-11-2006, 20:11
Skidsteer, do you have any experience with this filter you suplied the link to? I am wondering how hard you have to draw on the hose to pull water from the bladder through the filter to get to you?

Yeah, I own the Amigo system(bag, filter,etc.) and it does a good job. It will gravity filter a gallon of water at very close to the same speed as my Katadyn hiker without the pumping.

At an estimate the filter lasted around 200 gallons or twice the advertised 100 gallon capacity, but I was diligent in backwashing the filter after every trip with the supplied adaptor. For a thru-hike you may or may not be able to backwash it as often thus shortening the life of the filter.

I have not used the filter as an in-line for a hydration bladder because I don't use a bladder anymore. I suspect it would work like a champ and have talked to folks that use it for this purpose. I do know that if I held it or suspended it over my head, it would supply filtered water as fast as I would want to drink it, so I imagine that suction would accomplish the same thing.

I'd hook it up to my wife's platypus right now and give it a test for you except that it's clogged up and way past needing replaced. Since my Katadyn filter still has some life in it, I've been using it for the last half-dozen or so weekend trips because I'm cheap. :D

OK, I'll bite the bullet and order a replacement this week. Just for you, ATTroll

attroll
06-11-2006, 20:23
OK, I'll bite the bullet and order a replacement this week. Just for you, ATTroll
Give me a break. Don't do it just for me. I was only asking a question. :)

Skidsteer
06-11-2006, 20:36
Give me a break. Don't do it just for me. I was only asking a question. :)

Naw, I've just been putting it off(story of my life). Anyway, I hate pumping water. ;)

attroll
06-11-2006, 21:27
Naw, I've just been putting it off(story of my life). Anyway, I hate pumping water. ;)
I hate pumping water too. That is what I have always done though. I am just consiering other alturnitives now. I still like the idea of filtering. I am not one that likes the idea of floaties in my water.