PDA

View Full Version : Non-AT things to do near Damascus, VA

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-11-2006, 19:41
Mr. & Mrs. Dino are taking a mini-vacation to the Damascus area. We plan to go to Grayson Highlands and hike to the waterfalls, see the horses, and generally behave like tourist. We also plan to get SunDog to haul our carcasses up Whitetop Mountain and bike down to Damascus.

Besides these activities, what would those who know the area well suggest? The male dino loves waterfalls so if you happen to know of good ones that aren't terribly difficult to reach....

Mountain Maiden
06-11-2006, 20:44
Have had dinner at The Tavern in Abingdon several (6-7) times. Have taken friends there and they loved it, too. The food and service have been consistently excellent. Costs a bit more than MacDonalds :D but worth it. Ask to sit on the porch.

Enjoy your vacation! Many of us wish we could join you there....:(

orangebug
06-11-2006, 21:32
Abington offers a great deal of activity with food, theater and such. There are vinyards in the area with tours. There is the Virginia Creeper Trail. And there is Dot's.

baseballswthrt
06-12-2006, 05:51
There are many nice things to do in that area. My husband and I have made 2 trips there. Of course, Lone Wolf would be your best source of information!

The Virginia Creeper trail is an awesome experience! You can either hike it or bike it. We hiked it. It is about 34.5 miles long. There are many great places to camp along it.

Go to visitabingdon.com and check out Abingdon. There is a historical area there, the Barter Theater, Martha Washington Inn, and many more places to visit.

Damascus is a place like no other! They are the friendliest people and it was nice to see all the places we had only read about. Lone Wolf turned us on to a great restaurant. I think it was called "The Mill" or something similar. We went there for our wedding anniversary. I think the highlight of our trip was finally meeting someone from Whiteblaze! We met Lone Wolf at MRO and talked to him for a few!

Enjoy your trip!:sun

TOW
06-12-2006, 08:41
Damascus is a very unique experience, after you have returned home you will have dreams of returning there as often as you can.

There is so much to do. Like hiking or riding a bike on the Creeper Trail or maybe even an overnight trek on the Appalachian Trail. The highlands are some of the most spectacular I have ever encountered on earth.

If you love to fish, then you will surely have a good time as the rivers and creeks are fully stocked from the Trout Rodeo that is an event of Trail Days.

There isn't a bad restaurant in Damascus, anyways not to me. I really enjoy eating at Cowboys, Dot's Inn, and the Baja. Alot tof the hikers enjoy the Burger King and Damascus Eats as well....

Go and enjoy this unique village and then come back here and tell us all about it..........

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-12-2006, 09:03
Where is the best place to have a sighting of the elusive Wanderer, LWolf and Gypsy while in town? Dot's?

trippclark
06-12-2006, 13:18
I'd concur with suggestions of the Creeper Trail, Grayson Highlands, and dinner and/or theater in Abingdon. I'd also suggest for your consideration Friday evening dinner at the Creeper Trail Cafe with live local music. This is a real treat. Also, if you are wanting to do the tourist thing, as you mentioned, you may want to take the tour of Bristol Caverns (about 20 - 25 minutes away).

Tripp

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-12-2006, 13:30
Thanks for the tips. We are leaving now. Will post pics of the elusive Wanderer, Wolf and Gypsy if I can find them.

Mountain Maiden
06-12-2006, 13:55
HAVE A GREAT TIME! :banana

Local
06-12-2006, 18:54
for future reference

http://www.damascus.org/visitors.html

http://www.damascus.org/activities.html

gumball
06-12-2006, 22:00
I am wondering if this was a common phenomenon with Damascus--my husband and I recently got back from an Atkins to Damascus trip and we both, almost at the same time, said, "Gosh, that felt like home." We have been thinking about relocating, and we may have found the area we want to go to--nice and quiet, nice people...so its good to hear we aren't the only ones who kind of fell in love with the area.

Local
06-12-2006, 23:08
Gumball, you and others recognize that Damascus offers a small-town experience that is rapidly disappearing. People here sit on their porches and speak to you when you walk by. Children ride bikes up and down the trail and are not bothered. Our setting is hard to beat, with mountains, trails, waterways, and a national forest almost in town. But real estate is becoming harder to find, with Floridians and others lined up to buy desirable property. We have 14 or more thru-hikers living here, so some decided early to make the move. Even though I'm the fifth generation of my family to live here, all the property was sold years ago and it took me almost a year to find a place which was both on the bike trail and Laurel Creek. So if you're thinking about moving, get the word out now that you're looking. The good stuff doesn't get advertised.

Nightwalker
06-13-2006, 01:02
Abington offers a great deal of activity with food, theater and such. There are vinyards in the area with tours. There is the Virginia Creeper Trail. And there is Dot's.
I rode a bike from Mt. Washington back to Damascus.

It was a blast. And the road rash on my right palm is almost healed!

:-)

gumball
06-13-2006, 05:23
Gumball, you and others recognize that Damascus offers a small-town experience that is rapidly disappearing. People here sit on their porches and speak to you when you walk by. Children ride bikes up and down the trail and are not bothered. Our setting is hard to beat, with mountains, trails, waterways, and a national forest almost in town. But real estate is becoming harder to find, with Floridians and others lined up to buy desirable property. We have 14 or more thru-hikers living here, so some decided early to make the move. Even though I'm the fifth generation of my family to live here, all the property was sold years ago and it took me almost a year to find a place which was both on the bike trail and Laurel Creek. So if you're thinking about moving, get the word out now that you're looking. The good stuff doesn't get advertised.

Well, this appears to be really great advice, Local, as I am noticing that, when I search on-line, there aren't any house for sale! There seem to be plenty all around Damascus, but not any actually in Damascus. I will have to get the word out...am also looking for work (am a therapist, and have also done social services administration--but could also teach), and work for hubbie as well. Have to be able to pay for all the cool hiking equipment I like to buy for time to time. :)

Local
06-13-2006, 08:18
Gumball, it might be worth a visit to check out the area in terms of job opportunities (difficult but possible) and real estate. My neighbors are from New Hampshire and Florida and there are an increasing number of "come-heres" from all over. One couple works in Los Angeles in the film industry but lives just down the river from me. So you will find an eclectic mixture of people, plus Jeff and Dave and Tom at Mount Rogers Outfitters will make sure you get the right equipment at a good price.

TOW
06-13-2006, 14:21
Where is the best place to have a sighting of the elusive Wanderer, LWolf and Gypsy while in town? Dot's?well if i'm not working i maybe at one of six places, my room at Dot's, Sundogs using the computer, library using the computer, the place, mt rogers outfitters attempting to whoop up on ole jeff patrick (i got to watch myself and get my licks in when i can and not let him strike me back because i just would not be able to stem the flow of bleeding with these blood thinners i'm on), or Cowboy's googling all the food and the babes that work there......one more place i hang out at when it's open is The One Way Church........

TOW
06-13-2006, 14:25
Well, this appears to be really great advice, Local, as I am noticing that, when I search on-line, there aren't any house for sale! There seem to be plenty all around Damascus, but not any actually in Damascus. I will have to get the word out...am also looking for work (am a therapist, and have also done social services administration--but could also teach), and work for hubbie as well. Have to be able to pay for all the cool hiking equipment I like to buy for time to time. :)Lodi offers some great scenery and not too far from damascus, you might be able to find some real estate in that area?

TOW
06-13-2006, 15:42
FD, if your stillin town, i wil probably be in my room at dot's.........

gumball
06-13-2006, 21:10
Gumball, it might be worth a visit to check out the area in terms of job opportunities (difficult but possible) and real estate. My neighbors are from New Hampshire and Florida and there are an increasing number of "come-heres" from all over. One couple works in Los Angeles in the film industry but lives just down the river from me. So you will find an eclectic mixture of people, plus Jeff and Dave and Tom at Mount Rogers Outfitters will make sure you get the right equipment at a good price.

I think we might come back down to scout the place out--and Jeff just helped me out with a whole bunch of gear, and I have become quite fond of the MRO gentlemen--very nice. But I agree, a visit would be great. We are thinking of doing a hike from Damascus south into TN, anyway, so we might as well kill two birds with one stone.

gumball
06-13-2006, 21:11
Lodi offers some great scenery and not too far from damascus, you might be able to find some real estate in that area? We will check this out--and what about Abingdon..Abington...getting late for me, can't spell :rolleyes:

Local
06-13-2006, 22:21
Gumball, go to http://www.jonesrealty.biz/listings.html - choose "MLS# or address" - put 13775 into the MLS# space - search. You should pop up a house that came on the market yesterday, on 3.2 acres:

A-FRAME IN THE COUNTRY! OPEN PLAN WITH MASTER ON MAIN AND 2 BEDROOMS UPSTAIRS. BACK UP HEAT SOURCE - WOOD BURNING STOVE. BEAUTIFUL FLOWER BEDS SURROUND THE EXTENSIVE DECKING. THERE IS A CREEK ON THE PROPERTY. ROOMY 2 CAR DETACHED GARAGE.

$169,000

I think someone from Florida called about six minutes after the place was listed.

There are other properties but the good ones go fast. Let me know if you're coming to town and I'll give you a brief tour.

gumball
06-14-2006, 05:21
Gumball, go to http://www.jonesrealty.biz/listings.html - choose "MLS# or address" - put 13775 into the MLS# space - search. You should pop up a house that came on the market yesterday, on 3.2 acres:

A-FRAME IN THE COUNTRY! OPEN PLAN WITH MASTER ON MAIN AND 2 BEDROOMS UPSTAIRS. BACK UP HEAT SOURCE - WOOD BURNING STOVE. BEAUTIFUL FLOWER BEDS SURROUND THE EXTENSIVE DECKING. THERE IS A CREEK ON THE PROPERTY. ROOMY 2 CAR DETACHED GARAGE.

$169,000

I think someone from Florida called about six minutes after the place was listed.

There are other properties but the good ones go fast. Let me know if you're coming to town and I'll give you a brief tour.

Thanks Local, I'll do that--and we may take you up on that if we head back down to scout around.:)

gumball

BlackCloud
06-14-2006, 07:22
Although an hour's drive to the east, the Blue Ridge Parkway is always a wonderful outing w/ plenty of nice overlooks and short to medium day hikes....

TOW
06-14-2006, 18:49
if your here like local had told me yeaterday then your sure being private about it?

Ridge
06-14-2006, 23:56
I know where some 'shine can be found up there in Washington County. Drinking is bout the best thing I found to do when I'm up there. Oh yea, for you homemade stove people, the stuff makes one hellacious stove fuel. But, that would be a waste of good booze.

TOW
06-15-2006, 12:47
she found me..........

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-15-2006, 19:44
The Frolicking Dinos have returned home. We sighted the elusive Wolf, The Wanderer and Gypsy (but she was really busy so I left her alone.) We had a wonderful dinner at Dots with entertainment (a family feud in progress).

We saw the ponies at Grayson Highlands, rode bikes for the seventeen miles from WhiteTop to Damascus and hiked out to Gentry Creek Falls (thanks for tip on that, LWolf and take shoes you don't mind getting wet if you ever make the hike it. The trail is about 2.5 miles and has eleven water crossings - all up to about your knees). We also saw some falls over near Abingdon, had dinner at The Tavern as suggested by Mountain Maiden.

Gumball, hope you can relocate to Damascus. It really is a wonderful place.

gumball
06-15-2006, 20:47
Gumball, hope you can relocate to Damascus. It really is a wonderful place.[/QUOTE]

I hope so too!!! Glad you had fun:)

Ewker
06-15-2006, 21:02
FD's sounds like you had a great time. I might need to schedule a trip there

Lone Wolf
06-15-2006, 21:06
Who are the 14 thru-hikers living here? I only come up with a few.

TOW
06-16-2006, 14:12
Who are the 14 thru-hikers living here? I only come up with a few.the rest are your altar egos..........

BlackCloud
06-19-2006, 07:21
the rest are your altar egos..........

Now that's funny!

Red Hat
06-19-2006, 15:50
Don't forget "Sparkles", she is a fun lady (in her 70s?) I met on my visits to Damascus. She lives and breathes the AT. She hiked in the late 80s or early 90s, I think.

orangebug
08-06-2006, 14:53
We just got back from hiking for the last bit of a honeymoon trip. Ladybug had only been car camping in the past, and had her first backpack experience. Well, she didn't want to buy new shoes before the hike, but got great help at it as soon as we got to MRO afterward. Jeff was great. My Dana Bomb Pack was way too big for her, even though way too small for me. She wasnt' thrilled with the idea of carrying stuff (hope to have Sherpa's as she did in Napal), but did very well with 2 1/2 days from Elk Garden to Fox Creek.

Blueberries were great. Blackberries appear to be about 2-3 weeks away. Water was very handy, with an old farmer showing me a water source just inside the western border of the Grayson Highlands. It is down on the forest service road just down the hill, past the stile.

My new Henry Shires Tarptent wasn't quite as easy a honeymoon suite as it looked in the front yard. Condensation was a real problem - especially predictable as it is a single wall tent. I hoped fleece bags would be sufficient for sleeping bags, but it got pretty cold up around Mt. Rogers at night. I think, from the experience, that a second hammock would have been a better idea.

We saw plenty of deer and ponies, no reptiles or other nasty critters.

Lazy Fox Inn was just as perfect a place to return to Damascus with a new wife as anyone would hope for. Ginny is just the most gracious and entertaining host on the planet. We briefly ran into Hummingbird and Dutch Treat at MRO, and I saw Lone Wolf and Gypsy just before heading up the Virginia Creeper Trail. I met someone hanging out at The Place, bumming for cigarettes and beer at Dots, and claiming to be a famous great hiker who had walked all 750 miles from Maine.

The Vinyard was an okay trip. The wine was average (at least the reds) and a reasonable value. Abington was beginning a neat festival and had arts and knick-knacks to buy (we passed up that opportunity).

All was fun, as usual, in Damascus. If it is possible to be bored there, I'd love to find out how.

orangebug
08-06-2006, 14:57
BTW, the house and unattached guest house next to LAzy Fox Inn is for sale, appraised (so the word goes) for over $500K. Ginny wasn't too impressed that this would be a value.

Lone Wolf
08-06-2006, 16:36
That place is WAAAYYY overpriced at $529,000

white rabbit
08-06-2006, 17:18
I will spend next weekend in Damascus with a church youth group of around 16 kids and 16 adults. We are doing the Creeper trail on bikes Saturday morning and will hike on the AT Saturday afternoon. What's there for the adults to do in the evening?

Lone Wolf
08-06-2006, 17:22
Hang out at Dot's or the Baja Cafe.

Sly
08-06-2006, 17:30

Hey, I may just do that. I have off next Monday (not tomorrow) and Tuesday.

white rabbit
08-06-2006, 18:17

Will Do. I look forward to the trip.