PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions re last 40 miles

Lcastellow
06-12-2006, 11:14
My son and I plan to hike the last 30 to 40 miles of the AT, beginning Sunday July 9. We are both in good physical condition and should otherwise be prepared, but we have never hiked in Maine and would appreciate suggestions from those who have.
I have studied the Guidebook and it appears we could access the trail via unpaved road at or near Pollywog Gorge. Is this true and is the road passable?
Would the section from Pollywog to Katahdin's summit be somthing we could do in 3 days? I am thinking we would need to devote the last day to summiting Katahdin and coming back to a parking area.
It is my understanding that we need reservations inside Baxter. What about campsites before we get to Baxter? Are the campsites outside Baxter SP likely to fill up early each evening?
What is the weather usually like during mid-July? We are accustomed to hiking the Georgia and North Carolina sections and it can get pretty warm.
Sorry this post is so long, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Tramper Al
06-12-2006, 13:10
My son and I plan to hike the last 30 to 40 miles of the AT, beginning Sunday July 9. We are both in good physical condition and should otherwise be prepared, but we have never hiked in Maine and would appreciate suggestions from those who have.
I have studied the Guidebook and it appears we could access the trail via unpaved road at or near Pollywog Gorge. Is this true and is the road passable?
Would the section from Pollywog to Katahdin's summit be somthing we could do in 3 days? I am thinking we would need to devote the last day to summiting Katahdin and coming back to a parking area.
It is my understanding that we need reservations inside Baxter. What about campsites before we get to Baxter? Are the campsites outside Baxter SP likely to fill up early each evening?
What is the weather usually like during mid-July? We are accustomed to hiking the Georgia and North Carolina sections and it can get pretty warm.
Sorry this post is so long, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

Yes, you can drive in to that bridge over Pollywog Brook, I did so last September to evacuate an ill hiker. You have to pay a modest fee to use the road.

Giving yourself a full day from there to Abol Bridge, another full day to Katahdin Stream and another full day for the summit seems about right to me for most hikers. I hiked it in less time then that, but I was coming out of the 100 Mile so I was in pretty good hiking shape by then. Get a nice early start on summit day.

Yes, you most certainly do need reservations inside the park. By campsites outside the park, I assume you mean the couple at Abol Bridge. The one on the south side of Golden Road is I believe is not reservable. The one on the north side is reservable, I believe only by mail (no phone). I'm not sure, but I would bet both can get pretty full at times, and July would be one of those times.

The July weather can vary a lot. One thing you might consider is giving yourselves more than a one day window for Katahdin, as the weather may mess with your plans otherwise.

Yes, a day is more than enough time to walk from your BSP campground (Katahdin Stream?) back out to Abol Bridge parking. Alternatively, you could drive your car in to your BSP campsite, and then walk the section of trail between.

How do you intend to get from Abol Bridge / BSP to Pollywog Brook? If you have two cars, that could work. If you are walking, it will take some time. If you are looking for a shuttle or ride, that might be a challenge.

I hope this is enough to get you started.

boarstone
06-12-2006, 13:32
You will need to enter the gate at Jo-Mary off Rt.11 north. It's a $5 per person fee to go through the gate. Hours of operation are 6am-9pm. 7 days. Directions can be obtained at the gate. A book of the North woods with enclosed map of the area is free at the gate when you stop to check in. If you need to be taken in and dropped off, let me know and I can arrange to help you. I resupply at Cooper Brook for all hikers on the "100 miler". Contact me via [email protected] or here.

emerald
06-12-2006, 14:55
You might want to consider looking into reserving space at Katahdin Stream Campground now.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/index.html (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/index.html)

plydem
06-12-2006, 15:29
I seriously doubt that at this late date you will get a space at a campground inside the park for a trip less than a month away, especially at Katahdin Stream. July is when things really start getting busy at Baxter and people make reservations months in advance to stay there (I usually get mine done as soon as they start taking them early in the year). Good luck!

Frau
11-30-2008, 19:43
Spammer!! I click the icon to report, but do not have access.

FR

Phreak
11-30-2008, 20:14
Spammer!! I click the icon to report, but do not have access.

FR
huh?