PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the basket from a LEKI pole?

Big Dawg
06-12-2006, 15:58
I just bought a pair of LEKI's & can't figure out how to take off the basket,,, any clues?

The Cheat
06-12-2006, 16:13
I just bought a pair of LEKI's & can't figure out how to take off the basket,,, any clues?

I believe you pull hard while turning counterclockwise.

Footslogger
06-12-2006, 16:22
YUP ...that's it. The thread is VERY tight so it takes quite a few revolutions to get it completely off. Apply pressure and turn.

'Slogger

jlb2012
06-12-2006, 16:24
and if there are rubber tips that are glued on then forget it - those baskets are there to stay unless you knock off the whole tip and replace with new tips without the baskets

Big Dawg
06-12-2006, 18:58
It's not coming off? :mad: The small basket will rotate, but no matter how much pressure I apply, it still only rotates in the same place. Arrgghhhhhh. What am I doing wrong?

Big Dawg
06-12-2006, 18:59
and if there are rubber tips that are glued on then forget it - those baskets are there to stay unless you knock off the whole tip and replace with new tips without the baskets

No rubber tips.....

Footslogger
06-12-2006, 19:10
It's not coming off? :mad: The small basket will rotate, but no matter how much pressure I apply, it still only rotates in the same place. Arrgghhhhhh. What am I doing wrong?
=========================
Same thing happened to me. Gotta keep firm downward pressure as you rotate the basket until it catches the thread and then it will start moving down and ultimately off the shaft.

'Slogger

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 23:12
You gotta WANT to get those suckers off!!!

That is, pull HARD.

I've taken 'em off three pair so far. They do come off/unscrew, it just takes muscle.

Rain:sunMan

The Cheat
06-13-2006, 22:33

push down on the basket with your feet while turning handle

Tinker
06-13-2006, 23:10
You might try soaking the tips in some hot water for a few minutes to soften up the plastic on the baskets. It works with downhill ski poles (but the baskets press on).

Big Dawg
06-13-2006, 23:31
Thanks all!! Got em off!

Toolshed
06-14-2006, 06:53
1. Sit on front stoop in plain view of neighbors
2. collapse pole down.
3. put grips end between feet and grab the basket
4. pull hard.
5. Poke self in forehead badly
6. pick self up from ground and collpase pole again and twist REALLY tight
7. repeat 3 & 4
8. knock self out briefly when hands slip off basket and punch forehead.
9. come to and pick self up off ground
10. go get pliers.
11. put grips end between feet and grab the basket with pliers really hard
12. pull very hard with confidence.
13. Make cookies for neighbors who came to care for you after you knocked yourself unconscious in forehead with pliers.

Footslogger
06-14-2006, 08:45
Thanks all!! Got em off!
===========================
Glad to hear it. Was getting ready to suggest you take a Dremel and cut those suckers off. After all the pulling and twisting the baskets were probably pretty well beat up anyway.

'Slogger

hikerjohnd
06-14-2006, 12:54
1. Sit on front stoop in plain view of neighbors
2. collapse pole down.
3. put grips end between feet and grab the basket
4. pull hard.
5. Poke self in forehead badly
6. pick self up from ground and collpase pole again and twist REALLY tight
7. repeat 3 & 4
8. knock self out briefly when hands slip off basket and punch forehead.
9. come to and pick self up off ground
10. go get pliers.
11. put grips end between feet and grab the basket with pliers really hard
12. pull very hard with confidence.
13. Make cookies for neighbors who came to care for you after you knocked yourself unconscious in forehead with pliers.

Excellent instructions - almost how I got mine off...

Ridge
06-14-2006, 13:38

Take a hacksaw and measure 12 inches from the handle tip, make a clean cut, throw the bottom part away. I'm teasing, but the vegatation along the trail that gets ripped up because of the baskets thank you.

Big Dawg
06-14-2006, 19:43
Take a hacksaw and measure 12 inches from the handle tip, make a clean cut, throw the bottom part away.

Had to LOL! I assume you're not a "pole person". That's ok, I'll forgive you,,,, teasing!

Ridge
06-14-2006, 23:22
Had to LOL! I assume you're not a "pole person". That's ok, I'll forgive you,,,, teasing!

I'm not a big fan of, OK, I deplore, the use of carbide tips, but you could be using the rubber covers, you didn't specify. I was just having a little fun.
You can find some very lively debates, arguments, etc here at WB over the use of Carbide or Steel Tipped walking sticks (with or without baskets). Just do a "Search". I'm all for keeping this thread as is.

Big Dawg
06-15-2006, 22:10
I'm not a big fan of, OK, I deplore, the use of carbide tips, but you could be using the rubber covers, you didn't specify. I was just having a little fun.
You can find some very lively debates, arguments, etc here at WB over the use of Carbide or Steel Tipped walking sticks (with or without baskets). Just do a "Search". I'm all for keeping this thread as is.

Keeping this thread as is...... I agree. No need to beat this dead horse. LOL! No need for me to search,,, I've been around here long enough to have witnessed the threads you're talking about. I usually stay out of them. I have my opinion, which is different than yours, but that's ok by me. This is a big enough world!!

Love my new LEKI's, carbide tip and all!!