PDA

View Full Version : calf / ankle swelling

FishBone
06-13-2006, 13:07
After completing a couple of 12 mile days (above my usual average daily mileage) from NOC to Winding Stair Gap a week or so ago, I experienced swelling of my calf and ankle; no pain, just swelling. :eek: I was only carrying a modest 25 lb. load at the time and once I got off the trail and iced the leg down for a couple of hours it was fine. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Solutions? :-?

The collective wisdom of WB'ers is always appreciated.
MandoCat.

orangebug
06-13-2006, 13:47
No pain? Any edema (swelling) further down the ankles or feet? Did you notice any change in coloration of the calf or the feet? Pulses? Warmth?

Footslogger
06-13-2006, 13:48
Without a thorough history/physical exam and more detail about the specific circumstances I doubt anyone could give you too much advice.

If there is no pain or distress at all the swelling may well be due to overuse of the joints/muscles. Your height, weight and general health could also all be factors.

How long did you hike at any one period without taking a break ?? Consider stopping more often, loosening your footwear and elevating your feet.

'Slogger

FishBone
06-13-2006, 15:15
Thanks for the responses.
Orangebug: the only pain was located at about mid-calf on the inside of the left leg, very slight, a little discoloration, looked like a possible deep muscle bruise. No other change in coloration, however, the "bruise" was warmer than the surrounding tissue. After swelling went down, so did the discoloration and the warm spot.

Footslogger: My guess was also overuse. I'm 57 years young, 5'10", 160 lb. in good physical condition (after 30 years of cross country skiing, biking, etc.). Maybe not enough pre-hike conditioning, however. You may have hit the nail on the head! I was hiking for about 2 hours between breaks and sat without elevating my feet, just took off the boots to air the feet.

It seems the solution may be to hike shorter daily distances (since I can only hike sections of the trail at this time), take more breaks with my feet up and shoes off, soak feet in streams, etc. and generally better accomodate what my body is telling me is too much stress. I'll try this the next time out and evaluate the results. With shorter daily distances, I can camp earlier and really develop my skills at cooking "gourmet gruel"! :banana

Happy hiking,
MandoCat

Footslogger
06-13-2006, 15:30
[quote=MandoCat]It seems the solution may be to hike shorter daily distances (since I can only hike sections of the trail at this time), take more breaks with my feet up and shoes off, soak feet in streams, etc.
=====================================
What I (and my wife) have found is that regularly stops at about 1 hour intervals really make a noticeable difference in the number of miles/day we can hike and more importantly HOW we feel at the end of the day. You have to give your body a chance to recover and repair the damage done by all that pounding and unatural load bearing.

I think you're on the right track now ...

'Slogger

Ewker
06-13-2006, 15:56
I have one ankle that always swell the day after a hike but never during. Never have figured out why it is just one. Withing a couple of days it is back to normal.

Newb
06-14-2006, 08:24
My calf swelled. Turns out that it needed more vitamins in it's diet, so I took it off of hay and put it on corn and grains.

Moo.