PDA

View Full Version : Dog Poll: Leashed or Unleashed

Ridge
06-13-2006, 14:43
Maybe this poll will be a little more representative with concern about dogs on the trail.

LostInSpace
06-13-2006, 15:04
Near Ashby Gap, VA, the Sky Meadows State Park, through which the AT now goes, has a zero tolerance policy for dogs not on a leash and a $95 fine for the first offense. The rules are posted near the Visitors' Center, but not on the AT.

My hiking partner "got caught" when she let her dog off the leash for a brief moment, knowing she was violating the rules. The park ranger just happened to see this occur and was not at liberty to ignore this because of the complaints the park had received. She "got off", but I won't share why she did. If she had to pay the fine, she would more keenly recall the incident. :D:D

hikerjohnd
06-13-2006, 15:13
I have no problems with dogs on the trail - I have taken mine out a few times, but she is not a trail hound. I believe that all dogs should be on a leash at all times (I even keep in on in the tent just in case) because it I feel it is what a responsible dog owner should do. Furthermore, I have no problem stopping for dinner at a shelter with my pooch, but I would not spend the night there because I know other people might not enjoy sleeping with my pooch. Shelters are for people not pets. How many incidents (on or off the trail) start with "my dog would never..." and end with some kind of tragedy?

D'Artagnan
06-13-2006, 15:16
Keep 'em leashed and most of the problems would be solved.

LIhikers
06-13-2006, 15:55
I just voted Leashed 100% of the time as it's the closest choice to what we do but that's not exactly accurate. We do let our shephard off leash when he's in the tent with us. Outside the tent he's on leash 100% of the time.

Alligator
06-13-2006, 15:55
Many nights on trail, many miles logged.

I voted other. Almost all the time, but dog's do need a little running exercise. If you've got good voice control of your dog and an open space like a field, a little frisbie, ball or stick throwing is ok in my book. Most dogs would be too tired for this after hiking though.

IMO, a dog shouldn't be off leash around strangers or the strong potential to have strangers come along. That turns out to be a lot of the time for many hikers. Never off leash directly on the trail. Anyone coming towards you can be perceived as a threat by a dog.

plydem
06-13-2006, 16:06
I voted other since I am between the newbie hiker and the "spent many nights and logged many miles" groups (I've been hiking since I was 10 but have only backpacked a couple times).

I always keep my dog on leash on-trail and would if I were to stop at a shelter. I always step a ways off the trail with my dog and make them sit to give other hikers room to pass (my dogs are nervous around some people so better safe than sorry). However, I agree with one poster who says if you can get away from the trail and there is little chance of meeting someone then it is ok for them to get in a little off-leash time.

I also stay in a tent with my dog(s) so as not to bother others at shelters, not that we have been out more than a couple nights with our dogs.

Ridge
06-13-2006, 16:15
When I established the poll I considered the Trail to mean the actual Path, the shelters, water sources or anyplace where close contact with other hikers can't easily be avoided. Not areas away from the trail proper, such as open fields, towns and parks.

Ridge
06-13-2006, 16:19
In addition, if one is climbing a fire-tower, or other stucture , the dog should be tied up, out of the way of other hikers.

Old Hillwalker
06-13-2006, 16:47
You must be a professional pollster because the disclaimer/conditionals make this a very unbalanced poll. I would say that it is weighted in favour of "no dogs". Kinda a "vote no if you agree" type of setup.

Ridge
06-13-2006, 16:53
You must be a professional pollster because the disclaimer/conditionals make this a very unbalanced poll. I would say that it is weighted in favour of "no dogs". Kinda a "vote no if you agree" type of setup.

Actually, I was going to put an "NO DOGS ALLOWED AT ALL" choice, but since dogs are allowed on the majority of the trail, I chose not to.

fiddlehead
06-14-2006, 00:48
The question to me, really comes down to: How many rules do i want to deal with? Generally i don't like rules. ( I don't really like dogs that much either but that's beside my point)
Where i am living now, here in THailand, there are not many rules at all. That's one of the reasons why i choose to live here. I like being able to drive on either side of the road, go thru redlights if no one is around, not wear a motorcyle helmet (someplaces make you though), be able to swim whenever i want (even when the red flags are out, the lifeguards still won't stop you), my wife can sell food on any streetcorner with no license, etc.
But you will never see a dog on a leash here in Thailand. What this does is tends to create packs of semi-wild dogs all over the place. Now, these dogs seem to know that they cannot bite people and it seldom happens, but i do get scared sometimes when i'm the only person at the beach and theres 40 dogs there eyeing me up.
I still voted no leash in the poll simply cause i don't like rules but the consequences can be frightening.
After all, America is a free country right? (just don't try to go to Cuba, it can be very expensive)

Ridge
06-14-2006, 00:56
.....But you will never see a dog on a leash here in Thailand........

That's because the dog was somebodys lunch! GOT DOG?

Heater
06-14-2006, 01:55
"Leashed at ALL times" would be best of the two choices.

I really do not think that it is possible or humane to keep a dog "Leashed at ALL times" on anything more than a short day hike so I voted other.

:sun

Deb
06-14-2006, 11:07
I was hiking southbound on the AT in Massachusetts. About a quarter mile away was Shay's Rebellion Monument.
A blue minivan pulled off the road, a guy got out and opened the side door and four dogs jumped out and began running up the trail. They saw me and ran straight towards me barking: 2 German shepards and 2 black labs.
I felt a shot of panic. This was in a field and there was nothing I could pick up to defend myself.
I yelled "Call your dogs!"
They guy yelled but the dogs didn't pay attention. The shepards came up to me first, not friendly but not aggressive either. Same with the labs. All four raced on down the trail.
When the guy finally reached me he said, "I'm sorry, I never would have let them run if I thought someone was coming."
Scared me to death. I was so relieved that I didn't get into it, just kept walking.
Once the adrenaline subsided I was really angry at being confronted like that. Hikers could always be coming. Keep your dog leashed.

Blue Jay
06-14-2006, 12:14
Actually, I was going to put an "NO DOGS ALLOWED AT ALL" choice, but since dogs are allowed on the majority of the trail, I chose not to.

No, you didn't put that one in because you know it would be the largest vote by far. I have yet to see any dog person keep their dog on a leash and I do not expect to see one. As I've said before there are more sharks on the trail than leashed dogs.

SGT Rock
06-14-2006, 12:24
I tend to agree with Blue Jay here. We often here people say things about always having their dog on the trail at all times, but my experience tells me otherwise. Then there was this:

Public lands managers have found that even where dogs on leash are permitted on trails, owners often allow their dogs to run free. In a survey conducted at Angeles National Forest, where dogs are allowed on trails as long as they are on a leash, 90 percent of the dogs observed on trails were off leash (Chester, 2003).

National Park Service. (2003). Park Net. Retrieved 14 June 2006 from http://www.nps.gov/jotr/manage/dogs/dogs.html

So it seems that this is one of those things I learned about in Anthropology about how people report they act based on how they know they should act vs. how they really act.

Oh, and honestly those poll answers are sort of hard to figure what I am voting for. I think I voted how I wanted to.

Ridge
06-14-2006, 12:26
No, you didn't put that one in because you know it would be the largest vote by far. I have yet to see any dog person keep their dog on a leash and I do not expect to see one. As I've said before there are more sharks on the trail than leashed dogs.

I personally think dogs should not be allowed on the trail, PERIOD. For the same reasons Baxter SP and the GSMNP does not allow them. I quote:

" After much thought and many years of the public using the Park with their pets, Baxter decided there should be at least one place in Maine where wild animals could roam free without fear of or exposure to domesticated pets and the associated parasite and disease transmission which might affect either population irreversibly. Please respect the sacrifice Percival Baxter made himself and asked all pet lovers to make: do not bring your dog into the park. Violating this park regulation or any park regulation subjects you to law enforcement action, not the way we, as park staff, enjoy greeting you after a long hike."

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html

NOTE: BSP did allow pets in the park for years. They are trying to prevent spread of disease. I feel the A.T. authorities should also take the same position as Baxter SP or the GSMNP and ban ALL dogs leashed or unleashed from the entire A.T. !!!

Ridge
06-14-2006, 12:39
OK, will the powers at WB please add to my poll "ALL DOGS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM THE ENTIRE AT" Change my vote to that, and please accomadate any of the dozen or so if they wish to change. thank you.

Turbo Joe
06-14-2006, 12:40
i see no problem with a dog off a leash but you should keep one handy and follow the regulations for the area you are in plus some people don't like dogs at all so you should keep in mind that you may not always be able to camp with a large group of people

SGT Rock
06-14-2006, 12:43
OK, will the powers at WB please add to my poll "ALL DOGS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM THE ENTIRE AT" Change my vote to that, and please accomadate any of the dozen or so if they wish to change. thank you.aint that easy once you start voting on a poll.

Ridge
06-14-2006, 13:25
My poll was based on what is actually allowed at the present time on the AT. Since dogs ARE allowed, which one of the choices do you prefer. At least, that was my original thinking. Banning dogs entirely from the AT might happen after all the wildlife along the trail has died, and its too late.
Dog owners as well as Real Estate Developers are self-serving. Dog owners enjoyment, Developers pocketbooks, simple as that.

Ridge
06-14-2006, 13:33
I should add: Dogs also enjoy the trail. The people that buy the Developers Condo looking out over the trail, or use a road thru the wilderness enjoy the trail area too.

SGT Rock
06-14-2006, 13:36
You know what the difference is between a Conservationist and a developer?

A conservationist already has a house in the mountains.

Ridge
06-14-2006, 13:46
You know what the difference is between a Conservationist and a developer?

A conservationist already has a house in the mountains.

I'm laughing at this one as I type my reply. I bet the conservationist has "Control" over his dogs too. Good one Rock.

plydem
06-14-2006, 13:47
Banning dogs entirely from the AT might happen after all the wildlife along the trail has died, and its too late.
Dog owners as well as Real Estate Developers are self-serving. Dog owners enjoyment, Developers pocketbooks, simple as that.

Nothing is as "simple as that". Nothing is black/white, it's all shades of gray. And honestly, you could extend the above sentiment to hikers/backpackers and say that they are self-serving by wanting nature to remain in a steady state. When in the history of the world has this happened? Species evolve, species die, species split off from other species, etc., etc. I think you are being overly dramatic when you say that dogs could possibly be the reason for the extinction of all species on the trail. We live on a very large planet where the eruption of a volcano in the pacific could conceivably have more effect on the ecology of the trail than dogs.

I'm not going to say that dogs do not have an effect on the trail environment. That would be like me sticking my head in the sand. However, I don't believe (and neither do you) they are the only contributing factor. We cannot discount even the backpacker/hiker effect. What effect does 3000 hikers cooking their meals on fossil fuel stoves have on the air quality? How about 3000+ people walking along the same route every year for the last 20 years? Not to mention the day-hikers and tourists. That has to have more of an effect on the environment than the, I don't know maybe 20% of people who bring their dogs on the trail. It's the pareto effect - hit the highest contributors to have the greatest effect.

Ridge
06-14-2006, 13:56
I'm not going to say that dogs do not have an effect on the trail environment. That would be like me sticking my head in the sand. .....

Well, lets take the dogs off the trail first, and see how it goes. If you really believe this stuff you need to be lobbying the Baxter SP and GSMNP people to make them see their evil ways and what a big mistake they've made. I just hope all the AT powers-that-be take the same position and ban dogs from the entire AT.

SGT Rock
06-14-2006, 14:16
Nothing is as "simple as that". Nothing is black/white, it's all shades of gray. And honestly, you could extend the above sentiment to hikers/backpackers and say that they are self-serving by wanting nature to remain in a steady state. When in the history of the world has this happened? Species evolve, species die, species split off from other species, etc., etc. I think you are being overly dramatic when you say that dogs could possibly be the reason for the extinction of all species on the trail. We live on a very large planet where the eruption of a volcano in the pacific could conceivably have more effect on the ecology of the trail than dogs.

I'm not going to say that dogs do not have an effect on the trail environment. That would be like me sticking my head in the sand. However, I don't believe (and neither do you) they are the only contributing factor. We cannot discount even the backpacker/hiker effect. What effect does 3000 hikers cooking their meals on fossil fuel stoves have on the air quality? How about 3000+ people walking along the same route every year for the last 20 years? Not to mention the day-hikers and tourists. That has to have more of an effect on the environment than the, I don't know maybe 20% of people who bring their dogs on the trail. It's the pareto effect - hit the highest contributors to have the greatest effect.

Well here I agree with you. I was once an AVID advocate of hiking with dogs. I wasn't evil or anything. I had grown up hiking and we had dogs with us, so I thought I knew where I was right and what a good hiker did with a dog to keep things right. Then I started posint in 1997 over on www.thebackpacker.net (http://www.thebackpacker.net) A couple of threads got me madder than spit about the subject, after all I am a good person and know what I know and know I am right. But at least I listen to others that I disagree with.

Then as I hiked over the years I observed my dog and saw how some of the things I had read from others was true. I won't give details (I could, but trying to keep it short), but it got me to thinking that maybe there were other things I was not correct on even though I had lots of experience. No sense in letting hubris be my downfall.

So I started looking up some of the other things I had been told. Turns out there is a lot of literature out there on how to hike with a dog, but not as much on IF you should. I think it is like many other things that people once did, it was just accepted as that is the way it is. But now people are looking into it just as much as other issue that faces the enviroment and finding that there is more impact than was ever imagined.

Add that to the fact how others feel about it, how the dog is affected, and how I love my dog and wanted her to be safe, she stayed home starting 2000. It dissapoints her and I miss her, but it is for the best. Sacrifice for the good, not feeding my own selfish need to have her along.:(

Ridge
06-14-2006, 14:29
..... .. It dissapoints her and I miss her, but it is for the best. Sacrifice for the good, not feeding my own selfish need to have her along.:(

I let my dog look at my pictures, afterwards he's glad he didn't have to go thru all those rocks in PA, and he doesn't like being leashed. Also, he's thankful for me taking pictures and sharing the Kodak moments.

plydem
06-14-2006, 15:13
Add that to the fact how others feel about it, how the dog is affected, and how I love my dog and wanted her to be safe, she stayed home starting 2000. It dissapoints her and I miss her, but it is for the best. Sacrifice for the good, not feeding my own selfish need to have her along.:(

Well, as I mentioned on the other thread regarding dogs being allowed on the trail in response to one of your posts, I will be seriously considering my decision to hike with my dog (AT or any trail). I still think there are far greater impacts but every little bit we do can improve the experience for all.

I like Ridge's idea of showing them pictures!

SGT Rock
06-14-2006, 15:25
Me too, but my dog says that pictures just don't smell the same as the real thing.

Ridge
06-14-2006, 15:29
I wouldn't be surprised if long distance hiking for a dog won't shorten its life. Premature arthritis, other foot and joint ailments come to mind. I had to put my 12 year old malamute down because of this, he would run and walk everywhere my kids did, and that was almost non-stop. Granted, dogs need exercise, but maybe long distant hiking is too much of a good thing. I might be wrong about it shorting a dogs life, I just wouldn't risk it. Leave the pet at home for its sake. For the same reasons you wouldn't carry a child, don't take a dog, bring back photos instead.

Ridge
06-14-2006, 15:31
Me too, but my dog says that pictures just don't smell the same as the real thing.

Letting my dog sniff my "toxic socks" made him even more thankful he didn't go.

plydem
06-14-2006, 15:37
I wouldn't be surprised if long distance hiking for a dog won't shorten its life. Premature arthritis, other foot and joint ailments come to mind. I had to put my 12 year old malamute down because of this, he would run and walk everywhere my kids did, and that was almost non-stop. Granted, dogs need exercise, but maybe long distant hiking is too much of a good thing. I might be wrong about it shorting a dogs life, I just wouldn't risk it. Leave the pet at home for its sake. For the same reasons you wouldn't carry a child, don't take a dog, bring back photos instead.

I think you are actually right - it would probably shorten the dogs life. Like I said in another post, certain dogs (like my shepherds) are prone to hip, ankle and knee problems. Also, alot of walking causes slipped pads (very painful). My dogs get alot of their exercise by running around in my fenced back yard or playing fetch in the house.

Long distance hiking would be too much for most dogs and those who plan to take their dogs on a thru-hike should plan many extra zero days and find out where all the veterinarians are along the trail because they will probably have to visit often. Not to metion the time you should take every day caring for your dogs feet (just like you would care for your own) at the end of a long day.

Gaiter
08-22-2006, 22:41
To Leash or Not To Leash: Depends on the dog
my experience: 2month section completed earlier this summer. my dog was w/ me for the first month.

Hanna

frieden
08-23-2006, 08:16
Maybe this poll will be a little more representative with concern about dogs on the trail.

It would, if the poll options made sense. Ridge, it scares me that you have a dog. You would probably do better with an electronic dog that you could switch on and off, when it is convienent for you.

I, obviously, answered "other". Ed and I have always hiked leashed. When I let him "run around", he is on a long-line, or at the dog park. However, we have never had to cross obstacles, such as on the AT.

While we have the "leashed or unleased" question out there - again - and since it seems to be full of leashed-at-all-times people, I would like to ask these questions:

How do you hike over 2000 miles, attached to your dog by no more than a 6' leash:

- over stiles?
- rock scrambling?
- narrow log crossing?
- river crossing?

Let's start with those, and please state why you answered the way you did, and how much expierence you have doing what you suggest.

Thanks! Workable suggestions would really help.

HIKER7s
08-23-2006, 08:51
As a dog lover and owner. I dont (never have) took one on the trail. Not because I didnt want to but more due to the fact I know most fellow hikers dont really want to deal with fiquring out if the dog is Ok.

I have found that question is one that stays in mind when I appraoch a hiker dog. I will say I have never been attacked or even threatened by another hikers dog.

Its the day hikers dogs, the dogs from the settled areas along the trail that run unleashed and the occassional dog with no apparent owner on the trail (wild, abandoned, hungry, rabid???) that I have problems with and have been bitten 3x and attacked once during my experience.

As far as trail dogs n their masters, its more of a nusance than worrying if one will attack or bite. The biggest two for me is when your done a hard day of slogging, the one thing you really could do with out is the dog of a hiker across the camp area hanging around and getting in your food stuffs as you prepare your meal. The other one is the dog who thinks he can lay on your bag in the shelter or against your tent.

I think of the hikers who take their dogs MOST are going to have dogs who behave Ok and if they dont the hiker is right on top of the dog to comply with the accepted behavior. The unfortunate thing about this is the situation to the contrary, where the hiker and dog swagger around like everyone should cater to them and remark on the dog and be nice to the dog when its apparent the hiker and the dog do not have any idea about how to act when in the company of other hikers. These guys, are the ones who give the whole activity of hikers and their dogs on the AT, PCT, etc. a bad flame. A stereotype thats not fair.

I dont (or try) to stereotype things however, personally, I would never take a dog on the trail simply due to the fact its another thing to worry about (the dogs well being and health) when you have so much you should be staying on top of concerning your own health and any emergencies that develop along the way

VictoriaM
08-23-2006, 14:08
I'm a day hiker, and I make an effort to take one or both of my dogs as much asd possible. They realy enjoy it, and it's good exercise. Both of mine stay on leash at all times because they're too friendly for their own good. I'm afraid my poor babies (pugs) would go running up to someone looking for petting, and it would turn out to be some lunatic like certain members here who would beat them with a stick or some other nonsense.

I think most dogs should be leashed on the trail, and some don't need to be leashed at all. It depends on the dog and on the owner. Some of the dogs that need to be leashed would be safe off leash as long as they were called back and leashed when other hikers needed to pass.

teachergal
08-23-2006, 14:34
I do day hikes with my beagle/basset/bulldog (yeah she's funny looking!) - when I take her we do short hikes <6 miles and if we are in a secluded area I sometimes let her off leash, mostly because she likes to sniff and explore everything which is a pain when you are trying to walk. She has severe seperation anxiety though and would never go out of my sight! I keep the leash in my hand and if we come upon another person I leash her immediatly. Most of our favorite "off leash" hiking locations are also favorite "off leash" places for others as most of the dogs we meet are also off leash! When we are hiking in a populated area she ALWAYS stays on the leash.

I'm not a long distance hiker, but I'd never take her on a long distance hike.

Monster
08-23-2006, 14:59
I voted 'other' because I agree with the other posts who believe it depends on the situation. A perfect example of this presented itsself last weekend when I was at Wildcat Shelter, NY. The first night a young guy with a pair of crazy, over-sized puppies plowed into the site. They were leashed and had to be because he could not control them. The next night a couple came in with a golden retriever. She had her own pack and even her own "flashlight." She was unleashed but stayed right at their heels the whole time they were in the site and only approached us when we called to her. I think if the person can control the dog, then it's ok for the dog to be off leash. Unfortunatley, more people believe they control their dog than actually are able, which is what creates problems.

Phreak
08-23-2006, 15:08
My dog Suzi logged 68 days on the trail last year and she never once had an injury. No torn pads, bumps, scrapes, strains, sprains, etc. She's a very active dog and I prepared her for this type of activity. She runs with me 4-6 days per week and swims for an hour 3-4 times per week. Some dogs aren't meant for backpacking but others are. I have her checked out by my vet after any trip over 3 days and she's always returned with a clean bill of health. My other dog Maggie logged somewhere around 30 days last year and she too had no injuries. Base your decision to leave your dog at home on their abilities and your ability to properly control your dog(s) at all times.

Yes, I'm for dogs on the trail but I do see the other side of the coin. There are a lot, A LOT of irresponsible dog owners who are giving a bad name for all dogs on the trail.

Pacific Tortuga
08-23-2006, 18:23
Phreak, you always seem to be giving us your resume or a dogs in this case, just bring your dog and let the chips lie where they fly. No bad dogs just mental owners,I'm sure Suzi and you will do great next year . Was Suzi on a leash for most of the 68 days? It seems that would be cruel but how else would you have Suzi under "properly control ....at all times" if not ?

Phreak
08-23-2006, 19:37
Phreak, you always seem to be giving us your resume or a dogs in this case, just bring your dog and let the chips lie where they fly. No bad dogs just mental owners,I'm sure Suzi and you will do great next year . Was Suzi on a leash for most of the 68 days? It seems that would be cruel but how else would you have Suzi under "properly control ....at all times" if not ?

LOL. Wow, how could such a simple post upset you so much? I train dogs for a living, but I must assume you have some expertise in this field (?). Care to share any pearls of wisdom?

Phreak
08-23-2006, 19:40
Was Suzi on a leash for most of the 68 days? It seems that would be cruel but how else would you have Suzi under "properly control ....at all times" if not ?

Having a dog on a leash is cruel? Tell me this is a joke. This rates as one of the most ignorant statements I've heard on WB. Bravo! Bravo!

DavidNH
05-30-2013, 17:16
Dogs are domesticated animals and don't belong in the wilderness. I wish the AT were reserved for those who care about wildness, wildlife, peace of the wilderness. I can think of nothing more insensitive (after smoking at a shelter or littering the place) than letting a dog run along the trail unleashed. It's darn right rude. I don't see why dog lovers don't see that.

hikerboy57
05-30-2013, 17:37
the dogs I met this spring on the trail were all unleashed and yet always under control of their masters, very well behaved and attentive to masters commands.now dogs ive met during dayhikes and some section hikes, a whole different story, and while the dog is running at me, I always hear the same thing."don't worry , hes friendly".

rocketsocks
05-30-2013, 18:08
Dogs are domesticated animals and don't belong in the wilderness. and we humans do? Keep em on a leash, out of shelters....No problems.

jj2044
05-30-2013, 18:15
David, should we ban all smoking and dogs from the AT ?? what about a smoking section 150 feet away from shelters.... maybe we can put yellow tape around it, put some cigarette butte containers ( you know the bright yellow ones)... maybe even concrete an area so we don't have to worry about fires.. maybe then we can work on loud mouth idiots at the shelter, they bother me MUCH more then smokers or dogs.. can we ban them too ?? maybe they can have their own area ??? they are SOOO much more insensitive then smokers.... maybe all weed smokers too, ban them, drunks.. there gone, who wants a drunk around, anyone with the name hikerboy gots to go! and heck while we are at it ban anyone under the age of 25!! damn young whippersnappers!! If we banned everything that SOMEONE thinks is rude or "insensitive", there wouldn't be anyone hiking.... you might hate dogs, other people love seeing them. you might hate smokers, but other smokers love smokers, and there are ALOT of them on the AT.

hikerboy57
05-30-2013, 18:19
if you want a wilderness experience, you need to find a trail other than the at, and there are plenty.and no dogs. wolves maybe-no leashes.

jj2044
05-30-2013, 18:25
it has always cracked me up people wanting this "wilderness experience", so they go hiking on the AT with 2,000 thru hikers,100,000+ day hikers.. on a trail made by man, to shelters made by man

hikerboy57
05-30-2013, 18:32
it has always cracked me up people wanting this "wilderness experience", so they go hiking on the AT with 2,000 thru hikers,100,000+ day hikers.. on a trail made by man, to shelters made by man

again, all these issues-dogs,smoking, cell phones, etc. are always more of a problem on line than on trail.somehow everyone finds a way to get along, then they come home and start typing....and that's when the trouble began.....

jj2044
05-30-2013, 18:35
again, all these issues-dogs,smoking, cell phones, etc. are always more of a problem on line than on trail.somehow everyone finds a way to get along, then they come home and start typing....and that's when the trouble began.....

Very true...

da fungo
05-30-2013, 20:21
Off-leash is fine, if it's been fricassed in a subtle black bean sauce. General Tso style isn't bad, either.

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2013, 20:32
Dogs are domesticated animals and don't belong in the wilderness. I wish the AT were reserved for those who care about wildness, wildlife, peace of the wilderness. I can think of nothing more insensitive (after smoking at a shelter or littering the place) than letting a dog run along the trail unleashed. It's darn right rude. I don't see why dog lovers don't see that.

Uh 50 years old and you drag up a 2006 thread and have been here since 2005, and you make the comment "It's darn right rude. I don't see why dog lovers don't see that" I can see your problem.. You need a leash on your fingers... that would be my solution. Thanks...

Drybones
05-30-2013, 20:59
Never met a dog I didn't like. Some of them need to do a better job training thier owners though.

Sarcasm the elf
05-30-2013, 21:24
Uh 50 years old and you drag up a 2006 thread and have been here since 2005, and you make the comment "It's darn right rude. I don't see why dog lovers don't see that" I can see your problem.. You need a leash on your fingers... that would be my solution. Thanks...

I was wondering the same thing. Nothing like resurrecting a thread that's been inactive for seven years for the sole purpose of complaining. :mad:

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2013, 21:46
Well we have been on the same page for a long time....Sarcasm... I have my fair share of mistakes ... but we are all adults here... some are not as good as others... as our parents would say "Oh its just a phase"

When I see posts like that - we all know I do not hold back... its not personal but as one man to another "GROW A PAIR"
Its not rude... this is practical, I have been mauled by a German Shepard, trampled by a horse, pissed on by animals in the night, covered in bats down my back, no I will never be "skunked", pulled Raccoons out of attics, caught grey squirrels bare handed.... Caught fish bare handed. Caught Snakes Bare handed... (dinner) Caught rabbits bare handed. (Dinner) .. Yes I have been bitten by snakes... it sucks.. Caught and released endangered species ...

Dogs, Coyotes, Wolves are separated by a few genes over 100,000 years... I have personally seen and run into Coyotes ON THE AT. Now you know what I think.

quilteresq
05-30-2013, 21:55
Strange - dogs are permitted in the Whites, and Dave is from NH. I think trails are great for giving my dog off leash exercise.

I've logged a lot of miles on NH trails with my dog off leash, and she's never been a problem on day hikes. I call her the "social director of the trail." She checks out every person she meets to make sure they're having a good time. If that happens to involve petting her, so much the better, but she isn't rude about it. We do leash her when we stop for lunch, because she would be a pest begging for food. She doesn't jump or make a pest of herself on the trail, even though she used to do that on walks around the neighborhood on a leash.

She hates the tent and barks like mad at night at every little sound though, so we don't make her do overnights.

Alligator
05-30-2013, 22:34
Old thread that was started by an old troll. Closed.