PDA

View Full Version : How to fix tent door?

leeki pole
06-13-2006, 16:07
Over the weekend, I set up my tent in the back 40 to enjoy the full moon and the mild temps for June. Just before dark, I took my Lab on a walk before putting him up and he decided that he wanted to check out the inside. Well, he went through the mesh instead of unzipping the door (I thought I taught him better than that). To professionally repair my Zoid 1.5 will cost $80 plus shipping both ways and I've got hikes planned in King's Canyon and Sequoia over the holiday week. Does anybody have any ideas about a fix since I don't know if I'll get it back in time. Or should I just break down and get another? All input is very welcome and thanks. :)

Alligator
06-13-2006, 16:32
I've never done this, but here's a suggestion. Sew another piece of mesh over the hole. thruhiker.com sells nanomesh. You'd have a seam visible, but it would be a cheap fix. I suppose you'd have to worry about tension on the seam, but I don't think it would be a big deal. I'd try that first.

Bet you won't do that again:o .

LostInSpace
06-13-2006, 16:45
I suggest trying some McNett's Tenacious Sealing and Repair Tape to repair the tent. It is a clear vinyl tape, but does not "ooze" adhesive similar to duck tape. That ought to hold it until you complete your trip. It's probably too early in the year to just ignore the 'skeeter potential, although it is much drier in the Sierra than in the East.

I'm jealous. I did the High Sierra Trail a number of years ago and just loved it! I would like to do the Rae Lakes Loop in August, but I have not successfully convinced my hiking partner.

Ridge
06-13-2006, 21:22
Patch it with Dog Hide. Eliminates a lot of problems. I'm sorry I didn't mean it.

Hana_Hanger
06-13-2006, 22:06
HI,
Sounds like from your post...the dog ripped thru the mesh netting only right? The zipper and everything is intact.

Well a quick fix could be to simply take fine window screen the new stuff nylon type and hand sew up the area that got ripped till you can return.
Or go to Wal-Mart and get that fine mesh netting and use it...for it is more flexible for folding and packing up your tent.

If you patch it out past the rip...I would think you would be safe from those mosquitos. Then if you can't stand how it looks when you return...send it in for repairs...or :D or use this as a good excuse to buy another new tent!

Ridge
06-13-2006, 22:32
To be serious, you can laminate or even sew a section or sections of mosquito netting to the pieces torn. If the zip was torn, take it to a seamstress or even a good shoe repairman for repairs.

C_Brice
06-14-2006, 12:44
You weren't real specific about where the tear was in the netting but I had a older "A" frame tent that had a 18" tear in the netting right along the zipper. I did this:

I detached the remaining netting from the zipper and then cleaned up the old stitching and netting from the zipper. I then took some brown/camo duct tape and folded it in half over the edge of the netting from top to bottom. This created a a new "edge" or "hem?".I then double stitched the tape/netting to the zipper.

It is unbeiveably stong and looks pretty good. My tent was brown so the brown/camo duct taped blended right in. You can get duct tape in lots of colors from Wal-Mart so finding a color to match your tent should be possible.

CB