PDA

View Full Version : Attention Section Hikers

DawnTreader
06-13-2006, 22:48
Its prime section hiking time! This summer I'm doing Katahdin to Gorham NH, then a few days in the whites.. I know many of us have been looking forward to these hikes since the last time we got of the trail! The year goes by and we find ourselves tripping again..Where are all the other loyal section hikers headed this summer???
Happy trekkin'
Peace
-DT

Tinker
06-13-2006, 22:59
I'll be doing a few miles on the AT/LT in Vermont, though I've done it twice before. The southern section has some wonderful swimming. A young hiker I met on the Backpacker forums will be hiking with a friend on his first long hike (Long Trail thru). I've section hiked the LT (had to, since I did the southern 100 miles while doing the Vt. AT).

I also hope to do the Ct. section. Then I'll have the AT through New England done with the exception of the "Hundred Mile Wilderness" and the ascent of Katahdin. I plan to do that when I'm done with the rest of the sections. I did Georgia in March of this year, and next year I'll be doing part of NC (God willing - I'm having a problem with bursitis on my left knee since my Ga. section hike).

Vitamin I!:banana

DawnTreader
06-13-2006, 23:12
Great plans..I'll be doing a LT At Hybrid next summer to complete my New England portion...I'm looking forward to it!..
I'm leaving the 20th of june for a few days of Hiking in Acadia National then off to Katahdin for a (weather permiting) June 28th summit day!.. Then its South to NH...

Fat Man Walking
06-13-2006, 23:54
Hi Yall

I'll be doing my annual two week pilgrimage to the trail the last week of July, first week of August. Starting where I stopped last year, Pearisburg, VA and heading to Rockfish Gap (Waynesboro, VA) Hope I make it, had big time foot problems last year and made me cut my trip short a week. But was still able to get 121 miles in. Plan to keep walking N until I get to the Big K.

knicksin2010
06-14-2006, 00:32
Just graduated HS in May and I'm looking foward to my first real section hike. Been backpacking since I was 10, and it's become a real passion for me.

Hiking from Harpers Ferry WV to the Middle of NJ. Leaving soon :banana

Plan on thru hiking in 2010 God willing

maxNcathy
06-14-2006, 08:05
In April my wife and I hiked from Fox Creek south 42 miles to Damascus.It was great.
We may hike from Erwin north for 6 days next time out together.

joec
06-14-2006, 08:47
I am planning on going from Sams Gap into Hot Springs. Anyone have the distance on that one?

Alligator
06-14-2006, 09:25
I am planning on going from Sams Gap into Hot Springs. Anyone have the distance on that one?43.6 according to the AT database.

onesocktwin
06-14-2006, 09:37
3 of us starting 6/16 for this leg. Can't wait. Anyone have trail condition report...how wet?

Teatime
06-14-2006, 11:09
I just finished Indian Grave Gap to Dennis Cove. I did it in 4 days, June 10-13. We had T-Storms 2 out of 3 nights on the trail which made for pretty bad trail conditions in some places. I fell 3 times, fortunately I didn't hurt anything seriously. Saw lots of hikers out enjoying the trail.
Day 1 - Indian Grave Gap to Greasy Creek Friendly
I parked my truck at Kincora Hostel and Bob Peoples gave me a shuttle to Indian Grave Gap. Bob told me of the recent re-routes and the new Montaineer Falls Shelter, which was good since it wasn't on my map or hadn't made it into the guidebook. When I got up to Beauty Spot it was pretty cloudy and any views were mostly obscurred. When I reached Greasy Creek Gap, intending to set up my tent, a T-Storm came up quickly. I was very tired after a 15 mile day and found the Greasy Creek Friendly sign and business cards. I quickly decided to avoid the coming T-Storm and head for the Friendly. I barely beat the storm, a real gully-washer. The lady who runs the Greasy Creek Friendly, I think her name is Connie, was very nice. She took good care of this hiker. I joined her on the porch for a nice cold beer. I recommend the Greasy Creek Friendly as a reasonable, welcoming place to stay.
Day 2 - Greasy Creek Friendly to Overmountain Shelter
Stopped at Clyde Smith Shelter for a break and met "Guiness" and "Redbeard", a couply of late starting NOBO thru-hikers. They started from Springer on May 18th and were making pretty good time. Next came the climb up Roan Mtn. That was a tough climb! I was wondering if the top would ever come. Had lunch at Cloudland Hotel area. Moved on to Roan High Knob but decided to bypass the shelter, as I was concerned about beating the forcast T-Storms. At Carvers Gap I took a "nature break" and one of the locals, who was there to get some spring water, led me to the spring, where I dumped out my old water and filled my bottles with that ice cold spring water. As I was walking out of the parking lot, a man and his wife pulled in and asked me if I was a thru-hiker (did I look that bad?). I told them I was just hiking a section. They offered me a Pepsi and snack, which I politely accepted. This was my 1st ever trail magic. So, moved on to Round Bald and Jane Bald, from which I had great views. Stopped for a break at the Stan Murray Shelter before the last push to Overmountain Shelter. Only one other hiker was there, though I don't recall his name. Another 15+ mile day and I was pretty beat down. I have read how much Jack likes Overmountain Shelter and I have to agree. What a view! We had T-Storms come through all night, I repeat, ALL NIGHT.
Day 3 - Overmountain Shelter to Mountaineer Falls Shelter (NEW):What a crappy day for hiking this was! The trail was very muddy, slick and washed out in places from all the rain the night before. I slipped and fell 3 times. Watch out for those creek bridges that don't have the netting on them! I was on my butt faster than I could blink an eye. Watch out for the water bars when wet and don't step on them or you may fall as I did. Watch out for the logs used in step construction, same thing. Little Hump, Big Hump and Houston Ridge were all covered in clouds and I had no views. It was windy, misty and foggy, almost surreal. I did see some cattle up there but thats about it. I did clear off later in the day and I did get some views in at other points. I stumbled in to Mountaineer Falls Shelter after 11 hours on the trail, exhausted from hiking in the muddy, slick conditions. Bob Peoples and students from Appalachian State University constructed the Mountaineer Falls Shelter and it is very nice. It sleeps 10, I think. It has an overhang and eating area. It even has a place for dish washing/gray water disposal. Oh, forgot something! Met "Tex", a Section Hiker from Houston, TX, at the Applehouse Shelter. He was doing Pearisburg to Hot Springs.
Day 4 - Mountaineer Falls Shelter to Kincora Hostel
Made excellent time this day! Stopped at Moreland Gap Shelter for lunch and finished at Kincora at around 4 PM, another 15 + mile day.

Footslogger
06-14-2006, 11:23
Not section hikers per se ...but BadAss Turtle and I will be headed up to Maine on 7/1 to hike Gorham to Rangeley.

Can't wait to see that section without snow on the ground and/or freezing rain pelting me in the face.

'Slogger

Shutterbug
06-14-2006, 11:24
Its prime section hiking time! This summer I'm doing Katahdin to Gorham NH, then a few days in the whites.. I know many of us have been looking forward to these hikes since the last time we got of the trail! The year goes by and we find ourselves tripping again..Where are all the other loyal section hikers headed this summer???
Happy trekkin'
Peace
-DT

I will be doing essentially the same section that you are except that I won't get all the way to Gorham. I plan to start at Katahdin and head south. At this point, I am planning to spend a lot of time taking pictures in the 100 Mile Wilderness, so I will probably stop at Monson. I will start the last week in August.

atmuttley
06-14-2006, 12:05
Half Pint & ATmuttley here,
Picking up @ Weaverton cliffs and continuing North this summer. Got to try to catch up. Will see what it like to hike with titanium rods in my back, I don't bend like I used to! plan on getting 300 miles this summer. Will get to see the ROCKS in PA.
Eveyone have a good hike and take care!
ATmuttley

poison_ivy
06-14-2006, 14:06
I am planning to head down to Georgia in September to hike from Springer to Franklin, N.C.

In the meantime, I'm section hiking the Long Trail. :)

- Ivy

dreamhiker
06-14-2006, 14:16
Hello,
do you know if there are any good loop hikes that use the LT,AT I am looking for 15-20 miles a good day hike?
DreamHiker

Buckingham
06-14-2006, 14:19
6/26, starting at D.W.G. an headed through as much of the P.A. section as I can in 4 days!!! Yay, not much longer to go!!!!!

:banana

Tim Rich
06-14-2006, 14:26
Finished sectioning the AT last July with my Monson to Katahdin segment. Looking at a Fall trip on the Pinhoti to extend my GA-ME to AL-ME.

NINpigNIN
06-14-2006, 15:17
I am planning to head down to Georgia in September to hike from Springer to Franklin, N.C.

I was planning that as well (we were going to end at Deep Gap rather than Franklin, though), scheduled to start on 6/3 and end on 6/11. Due to car troubles, though, we couldn't make it then and hope to reschedule for later this year.

Instead we made the best of the time we could get and did from Clingmans Dome south to Fontana. Here's a link to my trail journal I recently posted for the trip: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15536

Hitch
06-14-2006, 16:25
In May I hiked from Compton Gap in northern VA. to DWG. Got all the rocks in. In September I plan a month doing DWG to Manchester Center in VT.

Sandy B
06-14-2006, 17:29
going to do the GSMNP, start at Fontana to Standing Bear Farm. Planning on starting 2-3 week in Aug. Going easy 8 days.
I have been thinking about this section every day for the past year.
Sandy B

kevin
06-14-2006, 18:03
Well, its almost time for my annual section (Year 3 of the 20-year plan) and this year its Hot Springs and head north for a bit with a goal of Damascus. This year, I'm starting later (July instead of June) which is a bit of a negative, but had to work it into the teaching schedule. Also, I will have my mom and dad join me for the first several days (hopefully to Erwin). Likely start date will be the 5th and the end date will be "when I get there". Can't wait to get out there and looking forward to everything but the drive there and drive back.

Deerleg
06-14-2006, 18:27
Did SMNP and all of Ga last year, hope to conect the 2 this fall on an 7-10 day trip. NB starting 10/7.

Shutterbug
06-14-2006, 18:45
Hello,
do you know if there are any good loop hikes that use the LT,AT I am looking for 15-20 miles a good day hike?
DreamHiker

It isn't 15 miles, but it is still a good one day loop hike. If you take all of the side trails (which is recommended) and take a few minutes to enjoy the beauty it will take you most of the day. Be sure to take along appropriate footware for fording a river. You will get your feet wet at least twice.

Ridge
06-14-2006, 18:59
Someone needs to start a Section Hike Club, similar to the ALDHC ? On the other hand I guess one really isn't needed, except maybe for things related to shuttles, driving directions, parking info, are maybe group hikes. I guess I'm really thinking out loud.

MedicineMan
06-17-2006, 04:12
just did Maryland last week, so i'm continuous from Springer to Pen-May, next month will do Pen-Mar to Boiling Springs...in August diverting to Kings Canyon for the Rae Lakes Loop, then in September will do Boiling Springs to Green Point and maybe Green Point to Summit,Pa in Oct.. If i can pull all that off it will be 179ish mils of PA done....dont know why i dread PA more than any other state???

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-17-2006, 07:00
We are retired so we can hike whenever. We had planned to finish up GA this spring, but a really bad scare with my mother's heart altered our plans. We may try to do it in the fall.

We may try some of the SNP this year and a southern hike or two if the leg strengthens up enough. My bro-in-law lives in the Washington DC area and wants us to come up there and do some hiking so we may try a section in that area.

Big Dawg
06-17-2006, 07:16
Well, my section hiking will be taking on a different tune in the near future. First, my wife & I are adopting a baby girl from Guatemala (our first child, after 13 years of trying to conceive). We pick her up in approximately 1 month. I know this will change the dynamics of how I plan/execute trips. Also, the friend I started section hiking the trail with in 2000 has recently informed me that he will be thru-hiking the trail next year. Sad, but I understand he's at a time in his life where a thru-hike is possible. I support that, & will be a part of his thru-hike any way possible. So, my section hikes, for the most part, will be taking on a solo journey. That's ok by me. I've got 2 short section hikes to complete before next April. I'll hopefully be able to hike from Erwin to Carver's Gap-(just north of Roan) this fall, then from Carver's Gap to Kincora early next spring. The plan is to meet up next April w/ my friend at Kincora-(as he's thru-hiking), & hike into Damascus together, & then on to Mt.Rogers/Grayson Highlands area where I'll finish that section hike & he'll head on to BIG K. (We started loop hiking the AT in 1998 near Mt.Rogers. That was the first time being on the AT for both of us.) The upside to this new journey is that by being solo, I'll be able to "hopefully" hit the trail more often, at a moments notice, rather than planning a trip for 6 to 12 months in advance. Change,,,, gotta love it!!

Tractor
06-17-2006, 07:16
Heading to Daleville VA Tomorrow! Hope to break into PA before I have to head back home around July7.

gsingjane
06-17-2006, 07:21
We (my 11 yo daughter and my 14 yo son and me) did the first 50 miles of AT-NY in April and will finish the remaining 38 miles in the summer or early fall, whenever we can squeeze it in between Boy Scout camp, Girl Scout camp, lacrosse camp and Philmont. And, this summer I will also take my 7 yo daughter out for her very first overnight on the AT, probably in the northern part of CT up into MA. Then next summer we're pointing towards the LT. Can't wait to get out there!!!

Jane in CT

DawnTreader
06-17-2006, 20:25
BIG Dawg,
Congrats on the new aquisition!!! Adoption rules...seriously...

Big Dawg
06-18-2006, 17:16
BIG Dawg,
Congrats on the new aquisition!!! Adoption rules...seriously...

Thanks, DawnTreader! We're excited!!

She's a cutie! I'm predicting a nature lovin backpacking daughter. :D

MedicineMan
06-18-2006, 21:29
God is smiling on you and your family :)

DGrav
06-18-2006, 21:44
Just did PenMar to Harpers Ferry 6/12 thru 6/14.

Heading to NH in August to do a few miles in the Whites.

MedicineMan
06-18-2006, 22:00
how funny, you were behind me on the same sectoin a few days...i was blown away by the history in that section and ending at HF was incredible...the story of Gath (Townsend of Gathland) was especially impressive.

neo
06-18-2006, 22:04
just did Maryland last week, so i'm continuous from Springer to Pen-May, next month will do Pen-Mar to Boiling Springs...in August diverting to Kings Canyon for the Rae Lakes Loop, then in September will do Boiling Springs to Green Point and maybe Green Point to Summit,Pa in Oct.. If i can pull all that off it will be 179ish mils of PA done....dont know why i dread PA more than any other state???

:) pa rocks,i love it,one of my favorite states:cool: neo

MedicineMan
06-18-2006, 22:23
glad the rocks were good for you...i'm thinking its all attitude, i mean there are no 3000 foot climbs to look forward to (and i honestly like big climbs), so i'll look forward to careful foot placement and rattlesnakes :)

Big Dawg
06-19-2006, 07:10
God is smiling on you and your family :)

Thanks Medicine Man!

BlackCloud
06-19-2006, 07:13
Its prime section hiking time! -DT

Speak for yourself. I don't hike June - September east of the Mississippi.

IT'S GROSS OUT THERE!

DawnTreader
06-19-2006, 10:25
well alrighty then.....
by gross do you mean...heat sweat and bugs??
Its allright by me!!!
I'm sticking to my original statement.....Its prime section hiking time! and I'm leaving at the end of the week for Maine!!!!

Rainman
06-19-2006, 13:03
On August 5 I'm starting from Jonesville to finish the LT, heading north to Journey's end. Then I'm going back to Killington to pick up the AT and heading to Hanover, NH. BTW, if anybody wants to give me a ride from North Troy to US 4 (The Inn At Long Trail), please let me know. I have found one ride but would love to be able to comparison shop. (I have an offer at $160).

Last summer I walked the LT from North Adams, MA to Jonesville, skipping a section over Mount Abraham which I picked up in October during leaf season. Since I am going back to up to finish the LT, I figured I might as well complete Vermont completely.

I hiked from Amicalola to Neels Gap in April for a long weekend. I'll be back in GA for labor day for a liesurely stroll from Neels to Unicoi.

LIhikers
06-19-2006, 14:39
My wife Kathy and I are using the summer vacation time that we'd normally use for a section of the AT to go to Alaska. We'll be a week in the Denali area and a week on the Kenai Peninsula and hope to get in plenty of day hikes as we only have plans for 1 day in each place. We'll spend the rest of the days doing things that we fell like at the time, not following some preplanned itinerary.

BlackCloud
06-20-2006, 09:47
well alrighty then.....
by gross do you mean...heat sweat and bugs??
Its allright by me!!!
I'm sticking to my original statement.....Its prime section hiking time! and I'm leaving at the end of the week for Maine!!!!

By gross I mean heat, sweat, bugs, and a ****load of hikers!

I want to got to Alaska too...........

DawnTreader
06-20-2006, 10:49
I want to go to Alaska too...

Jaybird
06-20-2006, 10:58
Its prime section hiking time! This summer I'm doing ................................Where are all the other loyal section hikers headed this summer??? Happy trekkin'Peace-DT

Yo D.T.

Got my miles in for this years SECTION HIKE! (me & Jigsaw did 120miles in Central VA)...training for the TN Senior Olympics @ the moment... & will be hikin' again in TN come Fall season!:D

Good Luck to all my fellow section-hikers!

Tin Man
06-20-2006, 14:32
Hanover to Kinsman Notch - Sept 30 till we are done. Countdown clock is at 101 days - can't wait. :sun

boarstone
06-20-2006, 20:09
Not section hikers per se ...but BadAss Turtle and I will be headed up to Maine on 7/1 to hike Gorham to Rangeley.

Can't wait to see that section without snow on the ground and/or freezing rain pelting me in the face.

'Slogger
The mosquito's and black flies will replace the snow and ice....:cool:

Tin Man
06-20-2006, 21:28
Is it true that Black Flies are rougher than southern New England Mosquitoes and the Maine Mosquito is the state bird?

DGrav
06-23-2006, 08:21
how funny, you were behind me on the same sectoin a few days...i was blown away by the history in that section and ending at HF was incredible...the story of Gath (Townsend of Gathland) was especially impressive.

I'm a big fan of the MD section ever since three years ago when instead of a bachelor party my best man and I went backpacking.

We ended up sitting at the bar in the South Mountain Inn watching the Red Sox's vs. Yankees game (the infamous Pedro vs. Don Zimmer fight) on a small tv. The meal was awesome and the bartender paid for our Yuenglings!

Finished up the night with a couple Enertia Grand Canyon cheese cakes.

For me it was much better than a traditional bachelor party!

Sorcerer
06-29-2006, 13:18
I did from Hanover, NH to Rangeley, ME. My plan was to finish all the way to Katahdin this year, but 30 days of cold rain ran me back to TN until mid-June. It was tough, but not as tough as everybody made it out to be.

I had spectacular weather through the Whites. I crossed Mt. Washington and the rest of the northern Presidentials on a nice 55 degree, sunny and clear day, with about a 10 mph wind. Very cool stuff.

The Mahoosuc notch was fun. Not really what I expected. Whoever called this the "hardest mile" was confused. It was definitely the slowest AT mile ever though! Lots of ice still in mid-to-late June.

The Mahoosuc Arm would be a cruddy climb in the rain for sure. Quite a bit of unbroken rock that has limited traction and is fairly steep. I wouldn't want to go down that (ever) or especially on a wet day.

Next Year: Rangeley, ME to Monson, ME. I'm thinking late July. Anybody have opinions about that time of year in ME?

bartender1
07-23-2006, 20:24
You should know about Blackflies as a state bird in Maine. You visiited me there. Wait, it was November - middle of 2 pound lobster season.

99 days and counting.............

bartender1
07-23-2006, 20:25
oops - 69 days and counting.....................

rainmaker
07-24-2006, 22:30
Madame and I will be on the trail the first of October starting at Rockfish Gap and ending in Harpers Ferry. After a short trip back home to await the birth of our fourth granchild, we'll return and continue to somewhere in Pennsylvania. Happy hiking everybody.

Footslogger
07-25-2006, 08:48
Next Year: Rangeley, ME to Monson, ME. I'm thinking late July. Anybody have opinions about that time of year in ME?
==============================

We just got home from hikikng Rangeley to Gorham and you are right ...going "down" the arm was a challenge to say the least. It wasn't raining per se but it had been raining steady for about a week before we got there so the footing was a bit loose and dicey.

Anyway, reason for posting is that we are doing the same section as you next year (Rangeley to Monson). Because of the bugs, humidity and mud we have decided to push our trip into late July or early August as opposed to the time frame we chose this year. No guarantees but we're hoping for drier trails and fewer bugs. Just don't think we'd ever willingly hike through Maine again in July.

When I did my thru I hit Maine in mid September and it was cool. By the time I got to the Bigelows we even had some snow. Much more comfortable hiking and NO bugs !!

Curious ...how are you going to set up your travel to/from the trail. Our plan calls for flights to Bangor and renting a car to drop at Shaw's in Monson. Then we'll get a shuttle down to Rangeley and hike back to our car. That way when we get to Shaw's we'll have our own transportation. This section will finish off the trail for my wife (BadAss Turtle) so we are planning on shooting up to Baxter for a celebratory summit of Katahdin before heading back to the airport.

'Slogger

bobhroz
07-25-2006, 10:00
Hello All. Just got back from hiking the Newfound Gap in GSMNP to Winding Stair Gap (Franklin) section .Last year my son and I did Newfound Gap to Hot Springs.My work schedule and family responsibilities make it difficult to go for a longer time. Got wet the first few days and Clingmans Dome was fogged in but overall had a wonderful experience.I stayed in the shelter the first few nights but was able to use a hammock therafter .I enjoyed meeting fellow hikers along the trail and got to talk with some great people. Bob H.

DawnTreader
08-28-2006, 23:07
...going "down" the arm was a challenge to say the least.

hey everyone.. back from NH...good times good times
descending The arm was pretty ridiculous. I absolutely enjoyed it.. Katahdin is all its hyped up to be and more.. Maine was most excellent. .shout out to the mobsters...
Thinking about a section in Georgia this month.. Unicoi Gap to Springer.. anyone done this stretch?? Five days is more than enough time ..right??

chrysalis clover
04-04-2007, 18:40
My hiking partner and I are planning a Katahdin SOBO section hike starting the first week of August. We are debating-- arguing :confused: -- about our ending point. We'd like, at a minimum, to finish Maine. Better, to get through NH. BEST, to get to North Adams. :eek: Our guesstimates are one month, six weeks, and two months, respectively. Are these realistic/too high/too low? For this area. And time of year. We've done nine to eighteen-mile days in NC/TN hikes...

The North Adams destination could reduce our shuttling concerns (if acquaintances prove helpful). Otherwise, we're looking finding the best way out of the woods,too.

Any specific advice on weather/conditions/gear for the area and time of year?

mahalo, mururu, fa'a fa tai, tino pai, kotau nui...and thanks

rafe
04-04-2007, 19:07
My hiking partner and I are planning a Katahdin SOBO section hike starting the first week of August. We are debating-- arguing :confused: -- about our ending point. We'd like, at a minimum, to finish Maine. Better, to get through NH. BEST, to get to North Adams. :eek: Our guesstimates are one month, six weeks, and two months, respectively. Are these realistic/too high/too low?

Sounds about right to me. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being most difficult) I'd rate:

100-mile wilderness = 7.5
Caratunk to Glencliff NH = 9.5
Glencliff to Killington = 7
Killington to North Adams = 6

chrysalis clover
04-04-2007, 20:28
Caratunk to Glencliff. That's the spelunking, exposed peaks, all-year-long ice, scrambling with all six hands section, eh? It is also almost half of the distance b/t Katahdin and N Adams.
Sounds formidable enough. :(
And yet, you imply/I infer, do-able. By erstwhile southerners.:-?

This will be our most ambitious undertaking. I endorse some anxiety... Section prep: Work allows "training hikes" of a few miles an evening with a dummy pack and strap-ons that still total only 26-30#. Though not Every evening. Ballroom dancing 1-2 hrs, 1-2x/wk for balance, agility, and ankles. At least come next month we'll be in a hillier town for a while. And may have more weekends off.

rafe
04-04-2007, 20:46
Caratunk to Glencliff. That's the spelunking, exposed peaks, all-year-long ice, scrambling with all six hands section, eh? It is also almost half of the distance b/t Katahdin and N Adams.

If you start from K in early August, you should be through with the Whites by mid-September. You may get a bit of snow or freezing rain but there (probably) won't be any major accumulations on the ground, in that time frame. No spelunking that I know of, except a couple of boulders you might have to crawl under in Mahoosuc notch.

DawnTreader
04-04-2007, 21:12
This season I'll be hiking a section from Gorham NH, south thru Vermont, or as far as I can get in about a month....Any opinions on the best time of year to hike this section? I would like to hear what months people who have hiked this stretch thought made for the most desirable hiking....THANKS!!!

rafe
04-04-2007, 21:53
This season I'll be hiking a section from Gorham NH, south thru Vermont, or as far as I can get in about a month....Any opinions on the best time of year to hike this section? I would like to hear what months people who have hiked this stretch thought made for the most desirable hiking....THANKS!!!

Late summer and early fall.

Cookerhiker
04-04-2007, 22:09
My hiking partner and I are planning a Katahdin SOBO section hike starting the first week of August. We are debating-- arguing :confused: -- about our ending point. We'd like, at a minimum, to finish Maine. Better, to get through NH. BEST, to get to North Adams. :eek: Our guesstimates are one month, six weeks, and two months, respectively. Are these realistic/too high/too low? For this area. And time of year. We've done nine to eighteen-mile days in NC/TN hikes... ...

Rings a bell - check out my 2005 journal on trail journals.com. I too hiked 9-18 mile days (more likely 12-18 mile days) in NC/TN but I struggled in the first 100 miles of Maine from NH through the Bigalows. My first 12 mile day wasn't until beyond Avery Peak. But bottom line, a month to finish Maine is certainly attainable for you. And hiking SOBO, you start with an easier hike in Maine in the 100 Mile Wilderness than starting at Gorham hiking north.

Timing: start mid-August. I hiked August 15-September 15 and had virtually no mosquitoes. If you decide to push beyond Gorham, you may want to start earlier - say August 7 - to get over the Presidentials before it gets too cold.

Should be a great hike - happy trails! I may hit the Long Trail starting in late August.

LIhikers
04-05-2007, 11:32
Here we are in 2007 and the wife and I will be doing a section, going north bound, starting in mid MA. How far we go will depend how much time I can get off from work.

rtfi
04-06-2007, 11:21
I am hiking from Greenwood Lake, NY to Salisbury, CT this spring. Staying at the Graymoor Monastery one night along the way, and on the way home will stay at The Doyle to break up the drive.

astrogirl
04-08-2007, 18:07
I'm planning on doing Hot Springs, NC to Erwin, TN and Fontana Dam to Franklin in May. I did Fontana to Hot Springs last year.

white rabbit
04-09-2007, 07:44
Just completed Unicoi Gap to Fontana. Next long hike will be from the North end of the Smokies to Erwin later in the Spring.

NINpigNIN
04-14-2007, 09:26
Eightiesguy and I (and hopefully rsle and possibly another hiking buddy who isn't a member here that I know of) are planning on a section hike going on the trail June 2 and getting off June 10. Any suggestions of good routes that can be accomplished in that kind of timeframe?

Last year we were planning doing Springer to Deep Gap, NC in that same timeframe (until eightiesguy's car broke down en route to the trailhead).

Right now the thoughts we're coming up with are to re-attempt last year's route, to hike all of GSMNP (either nobo or sobo), or shoot for all of Shenandoah National Park. Any other prime candidates we're missing?

hiker51
04-14-2007, 10:37
Finished sectioning the AT last July with my Monson to Katahdin segment. Looking at a Fall trip on the Pinhoti to extend my GA-ME to AL-ME.
i hope to do this in august, but with a start at katahdin and end at monson. how much time did it take you? how many miles a day did you average? any hints on making it more fun for us.

ShakeyLeggs
04-14-2007, 12:38
May 7th I start my section from Harpers to Boiling Springs.

Lilred
04-14-2007, 18:51
Starting May 27th in Troutdale VA and hiking north for five to seven weeks. Hope to get through the Shennies. Waynesboro at the very least.

rafe
04-14-2007, 20:00
Starting in early August, I'm going to try to finish this blasted trail. The section left to do is from VA Rte 601 (just north of War Spur Shelter) to Lehigh Gap. It's a bit under 600 miles and I have almost exactly six weeks to do it. I'm gonna have to boogie & make better time than I usually do.

Any WB'ers in the Newport/Blacksburg (VA) area that might be willing to do a shuttle to the trailhead in that timeframe?

saimyoji
04-15-2007, 10:54
I'll be out sharpening rocks somewhere between Pine Grove and Water Gap this summer. If you see any rocks that look like they need some work, post here. :p

saimyoji
04-15-2007, 10:56
Starting in early August, I'm going to try to finish this blasted trail. The section left to do is from VA Rte 601 (just north of War Spur Shelter) to Lehigh Gap. It's a bit under 600 miles and I have almost exactly six weeks to do it. I'm gonna have to boogie & make better time than I usually do.

Any WB'ers in the Newport/Blacksburg (VA) area that might be willing to do a shuttle to the trailhead in that timeframe?

PM me when you get close to Lehigh Gap. Possibly assist from there. :cool:

NativePennsylvanian
04-17-2007, 14:03
Hopefully finish all of PA this summer. 4 day 3 night, 55 mile long weekend coming up in early May. After that only about 100 miles left in the state, so maybe 3 trips, after PA is done maybe start on MD or more of the Mid State Trail.

rswanson
04-17-2007, 18:37
If my partners for a fall trip to Zion & Glen Canyon NRA bail on me I plan on hitting GSMNP in late Sept-early Oct...but my wife doesn't know this yet so shhh. When's peak fall color season down there?

Lilred
04-17-2007, 18:54
at the high elevations, peak season is end of Sept, beginning of Oct.

rswanson
04-17-2007, 19:04
at the high elevations, peak season is end of Sept, beginning of Oct.
Perfect timing...thanks Lilred!

sly dog
04-17-2007, 21:45
Hey native, i plan on doin some PA trail walkin this summer too,several long weekends and possibly the whole maryland stretch on an extended weekend,mabye i'll see ya out there.:cool:

Pocono
04-17-2007, 23:54
a friend and I are heading from delaware water gap to katahdin, beginning mid-may. my first long-distance hike. looking forward to seeing some whiteblazer's out there.

gold bond
04-18-2007, 10:16
went up for a overnighter and did Dick's Creek to Deep Gap. Going back up in may and catch that next 21 mile section and in October do a 10 day trip and go as far as my legs will allow me!
My son and I are going to Philmont for 10 days in June and do a 70 miler. Can't wait! I love hiking with my son.He's really not into the AT like me....but his time is a coming!

ShakeyLeggs
04-30-2007, 21:49
May 7th I start my section from Harpers to Boiling Springs.

Major update here people; Today I received a threat on my Guest book at Trail Journals. I am going to reschedule my hike for safety. In the morning I will be contacting the authorities to have this person identified and prosecuted. I will let everyone know what happens but I will not release the date of my hike.

Lone Wolf
04-30-2007, 21:57
Major update here people; Today I received a threat on my Guest book at Trail Journals. I am going to reschedule my hike for safety. In the morning I will be contacting the authorities to have this person identified and prosecuted. I will let everyone know what happens but I will not release the date of my hike.

well maybe if you didn't post stupid s**t on his journal guestbook you wouldn't get threats.

SGT Rock
04-30-2007, 22:02
I went to check out your guestbook, couldn't find it.

Skidsteer
04-30-2007, 23:08

The most recent entry in your guestbook on TJ is Feb. 2005.

Jus' sayin'.

ShakeyLeggs
04-30-2007, 23:15
The most recent entry in your guestbook on TJ is Feb. 2005.

Jus' sayin'.

That is an old journal. The one I was using has had all the entries deleted for my safety. I still have the guestbook entry but have removed the link to it until I find out if the threat is real or not which I am letting up to the authorities. In light of this treat I have decided not to move the start of my hike but to cancel it altogether.

EWS
04-30-2007, 23:18
well maybe if you didn't post stupid s**t on his journal guestbook you wouldn't get threats.

LOL, excellent advice.

Skidsteer
04-30-2007, 23:21
That is an old journal. The one I was using has had all the entries deleted for my safety. I still have the guestbook entry but have removed the link to it until I find out if the threat is real or not which I am letting up to the authorities. In light of this treat I have decided not to move the start of my hike but to cancel it altogether.

Then what's the point?

SGT Rock
04-30-2007, 23:49
Seems a bit extreme. I'd imagine that you could still hike and get past this easy.

EWS
05-01-2007, 00:04
Are you talking about GatorGump? If so this will be the third time Shakeyleggs threatened or possibly called the cops on GG for ridiculous stuff. I'd be surprised if the cops even listen to the local tattle-tale anymore.

EWS
05-01-2007, 00:26
Back in 93 my x-wife decided she wanted a boy friend. So to get me out of the house she went before a judge and told him I was in the Army and trained to kill which worked. As for my x-wife the guy she left me for mysteriously up and died about 6 months after:)

Oh yea this is from a decorated combat vet (Grenada Op Urgent Fury))

So ShakeyLeggs, given just how tough and fearless you are, why is one threat forcing you to reschedule your hike?

Heater
05-01-2007, 01:45

I read the entries before they were deleted.
All it said was "see you on the trail buddy".
I think you are making too much out of this and a lot of other stuff as well.
I do not agree with some of the stuff GG has done but I think you have taken it too far. Lighten up, man...

SGT Rock
05-01-2007, 01:57
I read them too, I didn't think any threat was implied in them either (Got the link from someone on all that).

What I would say though, is if you were to turn someone in for anything at all, posting the fact you did it on the internet would probably not be a wise move - that is one reason the FBI has a witness protection plan. Go figure.

Alligator
05-01-2007, 07:45
I read the entries before they were deleted.
All it said was "see you on the trail buddy".
I think you are making too much out of this and a lot of other stuff as well.
I do not agree with some of the stuff GG has done but I think you have taken it too far. Lighten up, man...Yeah man go hiking. It's a lot of work to find someone on the trail. Usually too much walking for most folks. Don't post for the next week and they'll never know when you left. You should logout too.

Lilred
05-01-2007, 08:26
What drama. Good grief. The first time I read about him taking the girl's shirt, is was quite obvious to me that it wasn't true. GG is a very good creative writer, and probably is embellishing for the newspaper that is covering his journal.

Shaky, a little advice, hike your own hike.

DawnTreader
05-01-2007, 13:30
Alright people.. this is a section hiking thread.. please don't hijack any further..

THANX