PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

Wonder
06-14-2006, 12:01
Is it just me, or does everyone feel a bit "glazed over" when they come of trail? I've been home 2 day and will be 3 weeks taking care of some stuff, and it just feels strange....... Any suggestions on how to get over this? Other then hanging out on whiteblaze all day?

Blue Jay
06-14-2006, 12:06
Is it just me, or does everyone feel a bit "glazed over" when they come of trail? I've been home 2 day and will be 3 weeks taking care of some stuff, and it just feels strange....... Any suggestions on how to get over this? Other then hanging out on whiteblaze all day?

Glazed over is a good way to put it. That's the only downside to LD hiking and I don't think there is a cure, or at least I've never found one. It's kind of like a dog who knows where the hole in the fence is and also how to dig your way under it if there is no hole. My advice is to not only get used to it but enjoy it, very few people know they are free.

Footslogger
06-14-2006, 12:30
[quote=Wonderfoot]Is it just me, or does everyone feel a bit "glazed over" when they come of trail?
==============================
It's not just you. Summited Katahdin in October 2003 and I'm still in a different zip code mentally most days of the week.

'Slogger

Mags
06-14-2006, 12:40
Something I wrote before:

"It is always there, of course, when you come back from the green world. You have been living by sunrise and sunset, by wind and rain, surrounded by the ebb and flow of lives that respond only to such simple, rhythmic elements. But now the tone and tempo of the days switch. Instead of harmony, jangle. "

--Colin Fletcher, WINDS OF MARA

Before a thru-hike, many people discuss the plans before th trail and what being on the trail will be like. Few people ask what it is like when you FINISH the trail. Adjusting to life after the trail can be interesting.The following came from discussions I've had on e-mail hiking groups. Food for thought.

I wrote these two posts on the Pacific Crest Trail mailing list. May be appropriate for the discussion. Kinda long. Kinda personal. You may or may not find it appropriate.

From December 2005:

As I mentioned, gear discussions are nice. It is the nuts and bolts of our passion.

But, gear is not what hiking is all about (for me anyway). Part of the allure of hiking for me is the journey. A wilderness pilgrimage where I immeressed in beauty for months at a time. Part of the journey is the arrival back home. It is the part of the journey seldom talked about. Adjusting post trail can be interesting.

Below is something I wrote back 2003 on another hiking list, less than a year after I finished the PCT. Seems appropriate for this list. Maybe some of you will get something out of it. Maybe some of you will think what I wrote is a big pile of steaming crap. But it is most definitely PCT (and long distance hiking in general) related.

Read it. Enjoy. Or not.

From 2003:

Re-adjusting after the AT was just brutal. Most of the people who have been on this list for a while know the story of what I found out the day after I finished the AT, but to re-cap for those who are new here (1999
on!):

August 1st, 1998. Finished the Appalachian Trail (AT). Easily one of the happiest days of my life. One of my best friends, who I have known since Catholic school days, hiked the last week of the trail with me. My youngest brother and other friends met us at Katahdin Stream campground at 7am.

Still remember the day clearly. The ponds were misting for the day was cool, but warming quickly. The two miles from Daicey to Katahdin were strange. Almost dream like. Five mos of hiking about to come to an end. But I arrived in the parking lot, and there was Steve (brother), Leo, Jim and Steve (friend). They hadn't seen me in 5 mos, never saw me with a beard, and couldn't believe how I looked (or smelled!).

Climbed to the Tableland with them. But, as soon as I saw the Katahdin sign, I sped up. All but Steve and Tim fell behind. Reach the sign, hollered, took my picture (with a full watermelon I carried to the summit). The others arrived and pulled out a feast. Leo packed in a bottle of Dom (!). My first and only time drinking a $100 bottle of champagne. They also sprayed me down with sparkling wine. They said I smelled better stinking of cheap booze! We also had cold-cuts, bagels, cheese, fresh fruit. As Squanto said "Your friends packed an Italian deli to the summit!".

Indeed.

Also puffed on some convenience store stogies my brother packed in. Reminded me of why I don't smoke...

Happy..happy..happy..very happy day.

August 2nd, 1998. Shaved, showered, clean clothes. Somewhere on I-95 getting back to RI. The rental car became very quiet. My brother, who had just graduated from high school, said "Paul. There's sometihng I have to tell you".

That line is usually not a good way to start a conversation...

"While you were away, our parents separated. The family house has been sold"...

ME: "What about the dog?"

(the family pet of fifteen yrs)

STEVE: "She's been put to sleep".

(She had arthritis extremely bad before I left..had lost most of her sight while I was away)

Ouch.

As you can imagine the double whammy of getting used to civilization after 5 mos of exploring the woods and getting used to the idea that the previous 24 yrs of my life just does not exist made for an interesting time. Pulling up to the family home seeing a SOLD sign on the front lawn, finding all my belongings in cardboard boxes and having two weeks to find a place to live (when I did not expect to) was a bit overwhelming.

Needless to say, 1999 was a difficult year for me. Felt lost. No one in my family could relate really. I was supposed to have "gotten it" out of my system. At 24, I was supposed to start thinking of serious things. And Rhode Island is not exactly a mecca for people who value the outdoors as something to be cherished.

Coming from a conservative, blue-collar, Catholic background was not supposed to do things like dreaming of taking big adventures. One was supposed to be more than enough. Time to get a good job, meet a nice girl, start a family. (Come to think of it..they still say
that. :) ) My friends, with the exception of one friend, wondered when I was going to "snap out of it" as well.

Long story short...needed a change and moved to Colorado one year to the day I ended the AT. Wanted to get away and start fresh, if you will. Was not the first person who looked West to reinvent myself. Tim kicked me in the ass to get a move on. Basically said "You aren't happy. Do something about it!" Good friends are like that...

Moving to Colorado was an adventure in itself. I might as well have moved to Guam. For most of my friends and family, going to Boston (1 hr away), was a road trip. Being 2000 miles away? Wow... Definitely became the black sheep in a family where all 6 children and all 16 grandchildren still lived within ten miles of each other. (On the other hand, when I do visit, I do get to pick whatever food I want for family meals. ;-) Oh yes..the family is now up to 4 great-grandchildren. Traditional Catholic family in more than a few ways... ;)

Think that is common for many people who finish a long trail. Feel adrift. Not sure what to do next. The goal you worked so hard for has been finished. Now what? Part of that feeling is physiological. Your energy level was absurdly high. The body becomes addicted to that level. Then, the activity ceases abruptly. But, the big adjustment is psychological. Getting used to many people again. Getting used to living on a schedule that is not set by you. Going from your "office view" being the mountains to working in a cubicle again, wondering if you can get the extra day-off for along weekend.

I think I had a unique post-trail story, but sure of this story reflects, in some ways, for other thru-hikers, too.

My Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) PCT re-adjustment story was in someways better, someways worse. I figured doing the AT, would be ready for the post-trail "funk". Wrong.

First, the IT industry took a big nose dive in Colorado. Even more so than the rest of the country. Long story short, the job I had lined up before I left was no longer. The company was liquidated. The job I was OK. I am still like that in crowds, if a bit better than a year ago. I don't think I was really prepared for the physiological changes. I was so preoccupied with the family issues post-AT, that I did not notice the physiological issues at all. This time I did.

But, living in Boulder (which *IS* an outdoor mecca), had much more support from other people. People who may not have thru-hiked but have spent weeks or months biking in Europe. Climbing the Himalayas. Training for ultra-marathons. They could relate on some level. People who actually wanted to hear stories. Who nodded their heads and understood.

Also became heavily involved in my outdoor group. Took over the e-mail list, organized a bunch of trips. In short, found a new "project" right away. And I took up running, helping to keep up that physical activity. The combo of running and being involved in something really shortened the post-trail funk.

So, post-trail "funkiness" can be interesting. You feel lost, uncomfortable in "normal life". You miss the lifestyle terribly. Some people adjust better than others. Some keep on hiking. :-)

Anyway, that was my long, rambling post about my post-trail experiences. A bit awkward at times..but I adjusted. For the most part. ;-)

Postscript Dec 2005:

Here it is two years later after I made that post. Like many habitual offenders, I want to be on the trail again.

The Colorado Trail last year was but a tease! I don't know if I really adjusted if I still want to keep on doing a long hike. Kinda like a healthier (physically) junkie.

I once told my on again/off again girlfriend that after the CDT I'd be ready to settle down; one more big hike is all I need.

She looked at me with a Mona Lisa smile and said "You'll be saying that when you are 70". Ah..she knows me well!

She also once told me "The outdoors for you is not a hobby, it is a lifestyle".

Her two comments could apply to MANY of us.

So post-trail adjustment? I am afraid for many of us are in **PRE-trail** adjustment. We long for the next big adventure.

Is it healthy? Probably not. But it is the way many of us are. Trying to find the same sense of fulfillment in daily life can be difficult at times. Possible, but difficult... Still trying to balance wanderlust and stability.

Anyway..that's my nickels worth of rambling!

And another post from a woman asking what we did to combat post trail "funkiness": She had just finished the Pacific Crest Trail. Here was my advice:

--- "Sevenon7th:

> not. What I can tell you, is that this is real for
> me. I would love to hear from some folks who had
> similar feelings upon returning from trail life.
> How did you adjust?

Right now..get off the keyboard and do SOMETHING.

A lot of what you are experiencing right now is physiological. You are coming down from a drug (endorphin) high. Your body is addicted to the physical activity. To go from such a high level of activity to a little is hard.

I too was feeling lost when I returned from the PCT. And part of that was physical. I took up running in addition to my usual hiking. Not saying you have to go for a run..but a long walk would be nice. Do regular exercise..you'll feel better.

The other, much more important aspect, is the mental.

Your big goal is over..now what? Can you find something in life that gives you some focus?

For me, post-PCT, was becoming heavily involved in my outdoor group. I maintain the e-mail list, organize a boat load of trips and spend time with people who may not necessarily hike for 4-5 months, but can at least appreciate it on some level. Living in Boulder, I amlucky where I can find like minded people. My social circle is almost entirely made up of people I met through this outdoor group, too. In short, I formed a community that means as much to me as much as the community I formed on the trail.

If you look at my outdoor photos, you'll see many of the same faces (and one chocolate lab who I spoil way too much. Actually bought the dog Hanakuh biscuits. Sheesh..wait until my friends have kids!)

Keeping up my physical activity, having a focus and forming a community are what helped me adjust to the "real world". Living where I live (Boulder, CO) helps immensely too. But every community has some people you can relate to. In Boulder, it is easier. But if you look, you shall find.

The one part I am still struggling with is the yearning to do another big hike. Not sure if that ever goes away. Trying to balance a sense of wanderlust while still having a community and stability in my
life is something I struggle with myself. That, my friend, is the hardest post-trail challenge of all!

Good luck..hope this helps!.

February 2006 Another post script: My friends announced two weeks ago that they are going to have their first baby! Woo hoo! They thought I spoiled the dog, wait until they have the baby. "Uncle Mags", the crazy hiker trash uncle. ;-)

Footslogger
06-14-2006, 12:51
... very few people know they are free.
====================================
Wasn't it in an Eagle's song ..."it's often how it happens that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key"

'Slogger

Wonder
06-14-2006, 13:11
Tanks for the support. I'm actually home right now getting rid of my apartment and belongings. I had to get out to the trail to find out what free was.....now I"m just really homesick

gumball
06-14-2006, 17:58
I have not thru hiked yet, but experienced this more than ever after our last section hike a few weeks ago--didn't know what the heck was the matter with me, just in a weird...glazed over...funk. Depressed. And, oddly enough, I hate to lose even that feeling, b/c it makes me realize I'm back in the real world and actually adjusting to it again. Kickin' and screamin' all the way out of the woods....

Skidsteer
06-14-2006, 18:02
Something I wrote before

Mags,

If you tweak the format on this post just a bit, it might make a good contribution to the new "Reflections" article section.

Whaddya think?

rhjanes
06-15-2006, 11:18
====================================
Wasn't it in an Eagle's song ..."it's often how it happens that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key"

'Slogger

Yep "taken' it easy...." not sure if that is the actual title.

Pennsylvania Rose
06-15-2006, 11:52
I have a tough time adjusting even after only 2 or 3 nights out. Sad, eh?

Mags
06-15-2006, 11:57
Mags,

If you tweak the format on this post just a bit, it might make a good contribution to the new "Reflections" article section.

Whaddya think?

Would be funny. Working a on a POST-TRAIL ADJUSTMENT article less than two weeks before I leave for the CDT. :)

If people think it should be in there..sure. Why not?

Ridge
06-15-2006, 13:32

Plan to do other trails, PCT or CDT and others. Get into trail maintenance. Drink more booze. I still won't wash my "toxic socks", and its been years since my thru.