PDA

View Full Version : Internal or external frame?

dreamhiker
06-14-2006, 16:32
hello,
I going to be buying a pack soon and I was woundering if I should get an internal or external. So im looking for feedback on both.
Thanks,
DreamHiker

bigcranky
06-15-2006, 14:06
Are you near a large outfitter, where you can try on different packs? There is no simple answer to your question -- you should buy the pack that:

1) holds all your gear -- which means you really should have the rest of your gear together *before* you buy a pack,

2) fits and carries properly -- which means you have to try on several packs to see how they carry on you. If you have a local shop where you can rent a pack, you might try that first -- it'll give you some ideas of what you really need.

External frame packs were the standard for on-trail hiking for many years. You had a lot of choices from the major manufacturers. Nowadays, the selection of externals is more limited (though there are still good packs out there). Internals are more popular, and more available, though they are not necessarily better for on-trail hiking. That said, I *hated* my original external pack, and quickly replaced it with an internal that fit me much better. I have had a succession of internal frames since then, each getting smaller and lighter as my gear has evolved.

Hope this helps.

Doctari
06-15-2006, 14:51
Like Big Cranky says, "There is no simple answer to your question".

The short version answer is; Yes, you should. :p

The x frame: Good; holds the pack off your back, so may be cooler. Usually has more pockets therefore easier to organize. As the pack is off your back, you can just stuff your gear in (within limits) with minimal worry of something poking you in the back. Bad: can be heavier than an I frame*, moves a bit more than an I frame, frame can catch on stuff.

The I frame (or frameless): rides closer to you so may be better for bushwacking, can be lighter than a frame pack, designed so everything rides inside, your sleeping pad aids in support, compresses / folds smaller when empty. Bad: rides closer to you so may be hotter, there is minimal places to hang stuff from, Can be heavier than an X frame*, everything goes inside (usually) one pocket, so has to be packed carefully for comfort/balance.

* "Can be heavier" is on both packs, I have seen models of the same capacity being much heavier for BOTH. ie: I frame 4,000 ci = 4 lbs, X frame same ci 3.5 or vice versa. Be sure to compare: fetures, weight, capacity, construction, etc.

Doctari.

CT-Sailor
06-15-2006, 22:41
I have several packs and I just started putting together a new external frame using a surplus MOLLE frame and straps and SilNylon drybags. I carried a Gregory Palisades Plus for about 10 years and like it but it weighs over 6lbs empty and I found myself carry 45-50lbs. It's not as much fun carrying that much weight anymore. The Molle is designed to carry 100lbs so the 30lbs I put on it is nothing. Total pack weight is right around 3lbs.

Peaks
06-16-2006, 09:30
Internal or external? It all depends on fit, weight, and cost. Like others have posted, go to your local outfitter and try some on.

However, as othes have posted, the reality is that there are very few external frames on the market. So, you will probably wind up with an internal.

kyhipo
06-16-2006, 09:37
I have a north face internal and have couple kelty externals and a haagslof external pack,I like the external packs but to be honest with ya!,thats a personal choice.ky

dreamhiker
06-16-2006, 10:10
I just ordered the JanSport Humbolt 82 Pack from REI-OUTLET for 89.00 on sale from 180.00 its a bit larg at 5000 and the weight is 5 Lbs. I wasn't looking for ultra light just yet. I think this a good starting place. what do you all think?
DreamHiker

rmtjr
06-16-2006, 14:31
Humble suggestion #1. Read Bigcranky's post. It is full of wisdom.
Humble suggestion #2. Make your pack one of the last items you purchase in your hiking preparation sequence. Get the other items that you want and then get a pack to fit them, not the other way around.
Humble suggestion #3. Consider the NeoTrekk pack from LuxuryLite Gear, www.LuxuryLite.com. It is an odd looking arrangement, especially with the front pack, but I love mine. Gone are the days of having to dig to the bottom of the traditional style pack to find something. Oh, yes. If you have the $ consider the original carbon fiber model. $$$
Humble suggestion #4. Keep your REI receipt. You may find that you want to return that pack.
Humble observation: You should be able to get your gear and the kitchen sink in a 5,000 c.i. pack unless you are e.g., planning on winter hiking, long stretches betwen resupply (like the PCT) or using less expensive, heavy and bulky gear. Sometimes though you gotta do what you gotta do (or afford).

Time To Fly 97
06-16-2006, 15:00
Try out your short list of potential packs with weight. Int and ext frames both have advantages. Thru-ed with an external and liked the organizer pockets and lighter weight. I now primarily hike with a Gregory Denali and love that too although this is MUCH heavier yet MUCH more bombproof. All my pack decisions start with how they feel with more weight than I would normally carry (weights inside to test). Also, I think there should be something about your pack that you just dig - some feature that apeals to your spirit/fun side. TTF