PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail

hawkeye
06-14-2006, 20:25
Planning a section hike of the Long Trail/AT this Sept/Oct. Any one going to be out there?

Tramper Al
06-15-2006, 21:10
Hawkeye,
Yes, someone will be out there.
I have the bit north of Smuggler's Notch to Journey's End yet to hike, and I will finish at some point this summer/fall season. Sept/Oct is my favorite time to hike the Long Trail, so yes I'll be out there too at some point.

salyos
07-04-2006, 04:23
yes there will be people out there...almost every youll be with someone in shelter

wanashunkaha
02-02-2008, 11:55

Rough
02-03-2008, 11:04
Kepp your eye on the "starting ... " tags in the 2008 Long Trail section on Trail journals.com . You'll get a preview of thru-hikers' plans. In the early part of September there are many college groups out on 3-4 days hikes as part of their freshman orientations. Weekends and holidays will always see crowds around Mt. Abe, Camel's Hump, and Mt. Mansfield. Sept. and Oct. are Vermonters' (and others) favorite time to to be out on the trail.

If you want a great visual of the Long trail at that time of year, check out J. Compos' website on his 2007 LT SOBO end-to-end hike. It's filled with text, photos, and videos of his hike. The link is:

http://www.jamiecompos.com/longtrail.html

Have a great time!

NorthCountryWoods
02-03-2008, 14:01
Wife and I are trying to plan an NOBO end starting the last week in September.

NorthCountryWoods
02-04-2008, 09:44
That should read "end to end".

The plan is to carry everything, have no zeros and not sleep in a bed/inn/motel cept for the first night in MA. We'll see how that goes. Hoping to get done before too much snow hits. We live near the northern end, so it's easier for us to get a ride or bail out up north.