PDA

View Full Version : Summer Sleeping Bag

vaporjourney
06-15-2006, 07:38
I havent seen many other threads on this with a search, so I'll start one now. Forgive me if I've overlooked information. I'm currently planning a thru Northbound thruhike starting april 07, but also want a sleeping bag to use this summer in the Asheville, NC area. I'm looking at either a +45 down bag, or the +55 REI Travel Sack. Which of these is recommended for summer weather on the trail? I am currently using a solo tent setup, but may possibly switch to a hammock, not sure. If I do, I thought the Travel Sack would work for that since I can zip it all the way down, and just wrap it around me in a hammock.

How cold do the mornings get when you're using summer gear after you've ditched the winter stuff around Mt Rogers?

I'm sure some may recommend quilts as well, and I'm open to that. No way I could afford to buy an underquilt for winter months for a hammock, but a lightweight quilt for summer would be fine. But like i said above, I'm unsure what sort of warmth to expect to need.

Footslogger
06-15-2006, 08:27
My wife and I both own the REI Travel Sack. It has worked out well for us. Just over a pound and very compressible. Especially like the draw string foot end. There are arm holes at the head end so that you can "wear" it like a coat if the morning air is a bit crisp.

Haven't seen the down version of the Travel Sack but all things considered if it gains you some weight it would probably be a good alternative.

'Slogger

berninbush
06-15-2006, 10:24
http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/cb/cb.asp?a=42327

I recently bought the mummy version of this one. I've only slept in it one night, but I can attest that it's warm enough for a summer bag (and I sleep cold), extremely lightweight and compact, and looks to be reasonably durable. Can't beat the price.

Ewker
06-15-2006, 10:58
I use the Kelty Lightyear 45° down bag. I end up sleeping on it most of the time in the summer. There are times I either crawl in or us it as a quilt if I get cool.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39173492&memberId=12500226

fivefour
06-15-2006, 12:12
i am currently using the synthetic kelty stratus 35 degree bag ... it's lightweight and plenty warm for me on summer nights. i do have a problem getting the zipper started correctly if it zips off the lower end. it is made to seperate but it's a pain to get started if it zips totally off. for under $50 though i can't complain.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=29027675&memberId=12500226

Kevin A. Boyce
06-15-2006, 13:28
I picked up a Marmot Trails over the past winter and I plan to use that as my primary summer bag. I sleep hot though, so I am willing to use something a bit more lightweight, or at least with less loft. It is basically a large sack made of Dri-Clime, with a two way zipper so you can vent the foot box. I used it a few times over the winter when I was kicking back in the car waiting for a my partner on day hikes. Combined with clothes and a down jacket, I was comfortable. Not all that toasty, but was fine for me to nap and not feeze.

I plan to take this bag with me to Alaska to hike the Chilkoot Trail. I plan to also bring along a Sea to Summit Reactor liner and a bivy sack, between the three items I should be comfortable at about 30degrees with my body. It is not a great set up, but it gives me a few options, and when I am in a hostel, I can just use the liner as a sheet or the Marmot Trails as quilt.

Plus with the bivy, which is an OR Basic bivy, liner and Marmot Trails, I have a pretty small sleeping system that is compact, probably not the lightest though, but seems to be working for me. YMMV

Catch you on the trail...
KevBoy

vaporjourney
06-15-2006, 14:42
I should say that right now I am using a +25 Kelty Down bag, and it's way way too hot for the summer months. I start off sleeping inside with the toe box open, and always get too hot and wind up sleeping on top.

tlbj6142
06-15-2006, 15:27
My brother used the REI Travel Down bag during the summer. He tried a poncho liner but found it too drafty and missed the hood.

Vi+
06-16-2006, 16:42
Vaporjourney,

You advise, “I'm currently planning a thru Northbound thruhike starting April 07, but also want a sleeping bag to use this summer in the Asheville, NC area.”

You also advise you’re interested in one of two bags.

For hot summer sleeping I use a poncho liner sewn shut across the foot, in a box style, and about nine inches up the open side. I left some of the side ties attached and use them to keep one side on top of me, and me from sliding out the open side. [I sleep au natural and recall awakening one morning in a luxuriously cool and soft bed of poison ivy.] I also carry a hollofil jacket as back-up for “unseasonable” cold weather, which supplements the poncho liner.

I presume you’re trying to get away with one bag for both North Georgia in early April and Ashevile, NC, in midsummer. I wouldn’t try that. I would want a legitimate sleeping bag of substantial loft at the beginning. But that’s just me.

You ask, “How cold do the mornings get when you're using summer gear after you've ditched the winter stuff around Mt Rogers?”

I have a notation on my guide, “The 5000' altitudes around Mt Rogers can be pretty brisk in early May.” You may wish to contact Mt Rogers Outfitters, 110 Laurel Ave, PO Box #546, Damascus, VA 24236. 703 / 475 - 5416. [This information is dated, some may have changed.]

vaporjourney
06-16-2006, 17:22
I may have been misunderstood. In North Georgia in early april, I will probably opt for a +20 down bag for warmth. I will keep this until the trail warms up, which i believe I read was after Mt Rogers. At that point, I'd switch to whatever summer sleeping bag I choose. This summer bag will be the bag I'll be using around Asheville this summer.

I will look at the poncho liner. I'm not sure why this is better than taking a silk blanket, or the very very light REI travel sack.

vaporjourney
06-16-2006, 17:22
also...why a rectangle bag rather than a mummy sleeping situation? I have also noticed someone recommend using the rectangle shaped sleeping bags/liners for summer months and was curious why.

Footslogger
06-17-2006, 09:02
I will look at the poncho liner. I'm not sure why this is better than taking a silk blanket, or the very very light REI travel sack.
===================================
My Army issue poncho liner is fairly light and roomy but withouth the poncho on top it's not very warm. I keep it in the car and have used it when I crash at someone's house and sleep on the floor. Tried it on a hike but found that first off ...it didn't compress as well as a small sleeping bag like the REI Travel Sack and second that it is drafty and not as warm.

'Slogger

Jaybird
06-17-2006, 09:21
I havent seen many other threads on this with a search, so I'll start one now. Forgive me if I've overlooked information. I'm currently planning a thru Northbound thruhike starting april 07, but also want a sleeping bag to use this summer in the Asheville, NC area. I'm looking at either a +45 down bag, or the +55 REI Travel Sack. .................................................. .............................How cold do the mornings get when you're using summer gear after you've ditched the winter stuff around Mt Rogers?........................................... ..

I'm very "warm" natured...i'd send the cold/winter gear home & use a sleeping bag liner! a few oz & very compressable. a 55+ degree bag? Man, who needs a bag when its that warm?
Now on the other hand...after a week or two without showers...the body tends to "feel" cooler @ higher temps in the early, damp mornings in the mountains...again, this is a personal preference thang...

another suggestion...lots of thru-hikers were holding off til PEARISBURg to ship back winter gear...:D

mike!
06-17-2006, 23:44
i was thinking, if i started in april, how long do you guys think i could get away with a sea to summit reactor liner (about as warm more or less as fleece) in the summer time? now granted i know its all personal metobolism, but how hot is the dead of summer and for how long?

Peaks
06-18-2006, 07:00
i was thinking, if i started in april, how long do you guys think i could get away with a sea to summit reactor liner (about as warm more or less as fleece) in the summer time? now granted i know its all personal metobolism, but how hot is the dead of summer and for how long?

Probably until New Hampshire, or early September, which ever comes first.

Vi+
06-18-2006, 10:41
Vaporjourney,

You advise (Post #10), “I'm not sure why (a poncho liner) is better than taking a silk blanket, or the very very light REI travel sack."

The filling of the poncho liner I use is thinsulate which supposedly make it a warmer bag than the standard model. I’m not familiar with either the silk blanket or the REI travel sack. I sometimes use silk as a neck warmer, sometimes wool. My impression of silk is much of its warmth is attributable to the “Vapor Barrier Effect.” This isn’t a negative for a neck warmer since it’s relatively open and therefore breathes freely, and I frequently adjust it. But, the last thing I want is dampness, especially in the east which is already too humid for my taste.

You ask (Post #11), “(W)hy a rectangle bag rather than a mummy sleeping situation?"

A poncho liner helps block the inherent ridge line breezes which often cool me too much when I’m no longer moving after a day accumulating sweat. The breezes are welcome, however, since they reduce the number of annoying flying insects. And, I just like fresh air and a breeze. A mummy shape sleeping bag maximizes your warmth by reducing the amount of space your body needs to heat within the bag. Keeping warm isn’t usually that much of a problem during the hot and humid summer months. (I also carry a supplemental jacket / sweater.) I appreciate the roominess of a folded-over poncho liner and the openness of the rectangular shape in summer, so much in fact that I usually kick much of the top off during the night. (I’ve sewn the bottom closed to keep from kicking it off entirely). If it’s still too hot, I just sleep on top of the bag.

Everyone is different. My metabolism, percentage of body fat, age, weather acclimation, etc., may be entirely different from yours. What I find comfortable may not appeal to you. Get suggestions, try out what makes sense for you, then select what works best. You will be happier when you eventually find your own way.

tlbj6142
06-19-2006, 09:03
Everyone is different. My metabolism, percentage of body fat, age, weather acclimation, etc., may be entirely different from yours. Don't forget that your body changes quite a bit on the trail. While a poncho liner might be warm enough in the summer for your current body conditions, after 2 months on the trail, it may not. You will lose body fat, your metabolism changes dramtically, etc. I would be willing to bet most folks become "colder" sleepers as they hike.

For example, during a section just north of Damascus (TD '03), I saw several thru-hikers get picked up at our drop off point (Fox Creek). They were all wearing LS shirts, fleece hats, and long pants. My brother and I were quite warm (just standing) in shorts and t-shirts. I would be willing to be those same folks would have been warm had they not been hiking for 2 months.

peter_pan
06-19-2006, 21:29
Vaporjourney,

You advise (Post #10), “I'm not sure why (a poncho liner) is better than taking a silk blanket, or the very very light REI travel sack."

The filling of the poncho liner I use is thinsulate which supposedly make it a warmer bag than the standard model. I’m not familiar with either the silk blanket or the REI travel sack. I sometimes use silk as a neck warmer, sometimes wool. My impression of silk is much of its warmth is attributable to the “Vapor Barrier Effect.” This isn’t a negative for a neck warmer since it’s relatively open and therefore breathes freely, and I frequently adjust it. But, the last thing I want is dampness, especially in the east which is already too humid for my taste.

You ask (Post #11), “(W)hy a rectangle bag rather than a mummy sleeping situation?"

A poncho liner helps block the inherent ridge line breezes which often cool me too much when I’m no longer moving after a day accumulating sweat. The breezes are welcome, however, since they reduce the number of annoying flying insects. And, I just like fresh air and a breeze. A mummy shape sleeping bag maximizes your warmth by reducing the amount of space your body needs to heat within the bag. Keeping warm isn’t usually that much of a problem during the hot and humid summer months. (I also carry a supplemental jacket / sweater.) I appreciate the roominess of a folded-over poncho liner and the openness of the rectangular shape in summer, so much in fact that I usually kick much of the top off during the night. (I’ve sewn the bottom closed to keep from kicking it off entirely). If it’s still too hot, I just sleep on top of the bag.

Everyone is different. My metabolism, percentage of body fat, age, weather acclimation, etc., may be entirely different from yours. What I find comfortable may not appeal to you. Get suggestions, try out what makes sense for you, then select what works best. You will be happier when you eventually find your own way.

There are down quilts that are a whole lot more insulation and 5-6 oz lighter than a poncho liner....some even have the head hole that a poncho liner does not have.

Pan

bearbag hanger
06-20-2006, 04:21
Don't forget that your body changes quite a bit on the trail. While a poncho liner might be warm enough in the summer for your current body conditions, after 2 months on the trail, it may not. You will lose body fat, your metabolism changes dramtically, etc. I would be willing to bet most folks become "colder" sleepers as they hike.

For example, during a section just north of Damascus (TD '03), I saw several thru-hikers get picked up at our drop off point (Fox Creek). They were all wearing LS shirts, fleece hats, and long pants. My brother and I were quite warm (just standing) in shorts and t-shirts. I would be willing to be those same folks would have been warm had they not been hiking for 2 months.

My experience was just the opposite. During my 04 thru hike, Mar and Apr I needed a lot more loft (used a sleeping bag, down quilt and two 1/4 in pads in my hammock) than I did when I got to Maine in Sept. Just used a down quilt and one 1/4 in pad for similar temperatures. I figured I was just getting use to the cold.

khaynie
06-20-2006, 05:46
On my SOBO last year I started with a Marmot Pounder. It was rated to like 40-50F, but I was cold on the nights in Maine when it dipped down into the low 50's -upper 40's... I had to wear my jacket several nights, but when summer hit, I was glad I had it. Mostly used it for a pillow thru MA, CT, NY, NJ, and PA. Once we were mid way thru VA, I p/u my winter bag. Glad I did as we hit snow thru the Smokies.

Time To Fly 97
06-20-2006, 15:43
For Summer, I used a Kelty rectangular bag when I thru-hiked (don't recall the name). It had a sheet on one side and a light bag on the reverse. It worked well because I could switch depending on how cold it was. I used it with a Therma rest and tarp setup. This worked fine.

Now I just lay in my Hammock (HH) in silkweight Capelene or if a little cooler, on top of a regular sleeping bag opened up.

Tinker
06-20-2006, 23:27
I'm a very warm sleeper and I find the 55 degree rating of the REI Travel Sack to be spot on (for me). If you don't consider yourself a warm sleeper, or if you're smaller than me (and don't fill up the bag as well - I'm 5' 10" plus, and weigh 212 lbs. currently) you might sleep cold. I have the old model with the 1/2 zip. The full zip is probably the way to go.

Vi+
06-22-2006, 12:09
Peter Pan,

You advise (Post #18), “There are down quilts that are a whole lot more insulation and 5-6 oz lighter than a poncho liner ...”

I weighed my Poncho Liner and my down fill summer weight sleeping bag (Western Mountaineering rated at 40 degrees Fahrenheit) after reading your post.

The Poncho Liner is 0.2 ounces lighter, i.e., the weights of the bags are virtually indistinguishable. The sleeping bag has a hood and loftier baffling, which are major advantages.