PDA

View Full Version : Revised start dates anyone??

1Pint
06-15-2006, 08:38
When I first decided to do a thru in 2007, I thought I'd leave early March to give myself tons of time and no pressure. Now, looking at the realities of life and money constraints, I'm looking at leaving Springer around April 10.

I know we have a thread with departure dates posted, but I was interested to see an update on how we Northbounders are or are not spread out. Hence, the poll. So, with apologies to the SOBO community, I'd like to hear when you NOBOs are hitting the trail.

onicoe
06-15-2006, 20:41
my "sometime in march" start date has been refined to "sometime within the first week". [:

maxNcathy
06-16-2006, 08:46
Thanks for doing this pole 1Pint.May see you on the trail.
Sandalwood

maxNcathy
06-16-2006, 08:48
Thanks for doing this poll, 1Pint.

1Pint
06-16-2006, 10:00
Hey Sandalwood, thanks for responding.

I know we don't have a huge sampling yet, but if I remain the only one leaving in mid-April, I'll definitely get a second job or whatever so I can financially afford to move my start date up. As much as I don't want to hike in what people continually compare to the conditions of WalMart on a Sunday, I also don't want to be completely alone. A mix of having my own space and being able to hang with interesting people (Whiteblazers, of course) is my ideal.

What are the biggest influences for the rest of you? School calendars? Time to save up the money? Weather concerns?

maxNcathy
06-16-2006, 10:57
Hi 1Pint,

I have read that March 1 was the day that most hikers start north...also heard that legendary Jack Tarlin who has completed about 7 thru hikes starts north on April 1.
From reading trailjournals it seems SNOW hits in the Smokies in March almost certainly.
For me, I like some cool crisp weather and some snow is okay so I would like to do some hiking in March when bugs are absent.Also I've ordered a WM 5F bag that I am anxious to put to use.
My wife will join me hiking for a week around Erwin or Damascus when the weather is more to her liking so I factor that into my start date too.
It takes about 6 weeks to get to Damascus, Va on average.

Keep well, Sandalwood

PS Our 06 thruhikers friends we met in Damascus on April 19th left Springer March 12th.To find out about weather and size of groups check out trailjournals 2006 under trail name of HOTROD.