PDA

View Full Version : Blanket for Bag swap?

mac
03-11-2003, 15:57
I have a Kelty +20 bag, I'm wondering if that might be a bit too warm during the summer months on a thru. Looking for opinions on whether or not it would do to swap it with a fleece blanket in VA when it warms up, and then pick it up again before going through the Whites.:confused:

Blue Jay
03-11-2003, 16:09
That is a risk I have taken, but remember it is a risk. I've spent a few cold nights with every piece of clothing on and still been very cold. Twice, I've gotten up and hiked until dawn, it warmed up and I went to sleep. If it had rained I would have had to hitch into a town. So if it's cold you cannot let yourself get over tired and you must carry some emergency high calorie food that does not need to be cooked. Good socks, gloves and a hat also are required. Do not try it north of Mass., everyone worries about the Whites, but the Greens can freeze your ass too.

chris
03-11-2003, 17:00
Take a close look at the prospective fleece bags before going down this route. Many of them weigh more than some sleeping bags, are bulkier, and are less warm. Of course, there is the cost factor, since fleece bags are cheap and sleeping bags more expensive. I think DancingLight has some relatively lightweight fleece liners (around a pound). If you do go with the fleece bag, consider keeping some insulating clothing with you for the odd emergency. Remember that hypothermia occurs pretty fast in relatively warm (low 50s) temperatures if the wind is blowing.

tlbj6142
03-11-2003, 17:06
How about you unzip your bag and use it like a blanket and sleep inside of a silk liner? Weighs 6oz, keeps your bag clean, keeps you warm if it dips below 20F. And if it gets cold, you can always climb back into your bag. You won't have that option if you put it in a bounce box.:rolleyes: