PDA

View Full Version : Water Bladder Weight

LULU
06-15-2006, 18:25
Should we fill our pack bladder full of water at the start or carry less and hope we find some?
Lulu

Happy
06-15-2006, 20:02
Should we fill our pack bladder full of water at the start or carry less and hope we find some?
Lulu

That depends upon what water sources you have identified for the day's hike.

Some hikers had rather treat/filter enough water to not be stopping at each site and spending time.

Personally, I treat enough water to not fool with stopping at each water site, but carry a filter bottle and dip and drink at each site.

Skidsteer
06-15-2006, 20:38
Lulu

Good question.

Two factors(at least)come into play:
-How much water does it take for you to comfortably walk from point A to Point B when all things are considered(terrain, temperature, humidity, etc.)?
-How far is it from point A to Point B?

The answer to the first question is found in experience, I.E. get out there and give it a go.

Answers to the second question can be found in resources like the Thru-Hikers Companion (http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm), The Thru-Hikers Handbook (http://www.trailplace.com/portal/display.php?page=hb_order_check_2006), and various maps.

BDT
06-18-2006, 21:25
2 liters usually gets me 5-7 miles in warm weather but I drink a lot of water.

hikerjohnd
06-18-2006, 23:13
Personally I prefer to fill up and then not have to break out the filter for the rest of the day. If I plan to pass a lot of water sources then I may go lighter, but usually the hassle of digging out the filter is enough incentive to fill up in the morning.

Ridge
06-18-2006, 23:28
I'll give you my 2c on bladders. I use one always. You should taste the water if coming from a spigot or any safe water source, I filled up at a park spigot and got deep in the woods(now I'm a long way from the next source) and when I finally did I could barely choke it down because of high sulfur content. My bladder FULL(2L+8oz) 4.56 lbs <0.31 EMPTY>, I use a 20oz backup bottle (since I can't see when my bladder is empty) as a reserve to get me to the next source. In extreme cold, I run the tube thru my jacket or shirt, and situate the bladder in my pack where its next to my back. The tube may still freeze in one or two spots coming out of the pack and running down my arm, but sometimes I can put back pressure on the tube forcing the ice into the bladder. I use the bladder as a pillow, turn upside down and inflate to desired firmness. Also, sleeping with it keeps it from freezing. I have gone thru 3 bite valves, the latest one, from "Ultimate" has both a bite valve and a manual turn-off, eliminates leaks at night in your sleeping bag.

hikerjohnd
06-18-2006, 23:41
I use the bladder as a pillow, turn upside down and inflate to desired firmness. Also, sleeping with it keeps it from freezing.

Nice idea... I have put my bladder in my bag to prevent freezing, but never thought of using it as a pillow. I know water does not absorb heat as quickly as other materials - do you find it a bit chilly or do you use a shirt or something to help with that?

Ridge
06-18-2006, 23:58
Nice idea... I have put my bladder in my bag to prevent freezing, but never thought of using it as a pillow. I know water does not absorb heat as quickly as other materials - do you find it a bit chilly or do you use a shirt or something to help with that?

No chill at all. I have even put a frozen bladder of water in the the sleeping with me, wrapped in my camptowel for condensate, Once it thaws and reaches the surrounding temp its good to go. The big problems I had was leakage in my sleeping bag thru the bite valve and the fill plug on an earlier model bladder, I've now solved the bite valve problem with the neat combo valve from "Ultimate" and the newer design "roll-up and Velcro" bag they make.

MedicineMan
06-19-2006, 01:39
to the spring below that shelter and it will help you with these decisions in the future :(

Kerby
06-20-2006, 19:24
I'll give you my 2c on bladders. I use one always. You should taste the water if coming from a spigot or any safe water source, I filled up at a park spigot and got deep in the woods(now I'm a long way from the next source) and when I finally did I could barely choke it down because of high sulfur content. My bladder FULL(2L+8oz) 4.56 lbs <0.31 EMPTY>, I use a 20oz backup bottle (since I can't see when my bladder is empty) as a reserve to get me to the next source. In extreme cold, I run the tube thru my jacket or shirt, and situate the bladder in my pack where its next to my back. The tube may still freeze in one or two spots coming out of the pack and running down my arm, but sometimes I can put back pressure on the tube forcing the ice into the bladder. I use the bladder as a pillow, turn upside down and inflate to desired firmness. Also, sleeping with it keeps it from freezing. I have gone thru 3 bite valves, the latest one, from "Ultimate" has both a bite valve and a manual turn-off, eliminates leaks at night in your sleeping bag.

Now THAT is pure genious! Now I don't have to carry a pillow also.