PDA

View Full Version : New Trail Volunteer

Sierra98
06-15-2006, 21:44
Hi I am planning on volunteering June 26th thru July 1st in the Smokey Mt. region of the AT. I am unsure about the weather cond. during this time, what to pack, how to pack for the 6 days I will be on the trail. The AT group is providing most of the food water and tools. However, I am a novice backpacker who has not been on the trail in 2yrs. I had a baby at the end of 2004, moved in 2005 and now it is mid-2006 and I am startin to get back into the swing of things. So, I am looking for advice regarding the above and physical fitness prep, etc.... Any women out there that can help me.
Tammi:sun :confused:

Mammoth
06-15-2006, 22:12
If you have a set of stairs in your house/building then you could exercise by jogging or walking the stairs for a few sets. This could be especially good to do during the baby's naps, because then you would still be near the kiddo and it's free.
I do a lot of things like crunches, push-ups, pull-ups, lunges, and pilates to retain flexibility for trail prep. Maybe you could work those into a routine.
I hope that you have a great time volunteering!

Sierra98
06-15-2006, 22:28
Thank you! What type of hiking/backpacking exp. do you have?

Mammoth
06-16-2006, 10:01
Ah, backpacking is limited at best. Three day trips all inside Minnesota, but I have an end-to-end hike of the Superior Hiking Trail planned for August. I go on day hikes all the time though, usually around seven to ten miles.

sliderule
06-16-2006, 11:38
I am unsure about the weather cond. during this time, what to pack, how to pack for the 6 days I will be on the trail. :confused:

The weather can vary greatly depending on elevation, but you likely need to be prepared for lows in the 40's at night and quite warm (uncomfortably warm if doing trail maintenance) in the daytime. And be prepared for lots of rain. This link will give an idea of temps in the park, with Newfound Gap & Mt Leconte being most representative of the AT.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=MRXRTPMRX&versions=8

Thanks for volunteering!!!

Ridge
06-16-2006, 13:02
RAIN...LOTS of RAIN You can count on it this time of year. What kind of TM will all you guys be doing?? Also, Don't worry about the Bears, and don't try to feed the Wild Boars, they get pissed if you don't have enough food for all of them.

Sierra98
06-16-2006, 22:13
I will be part of the Brush Busters Crew out of Elmont, Tn. We will be clearing brush (LOL), general TM. Do you have any good suggestions for work rain gear, cheap but durable and light?

Sierra98
06-16-2006, 22:15
The weather can vary greatly depending on elevation, but you likely need to be prepared for lows in the 40's at night and quite warm (uncomfortably warm if doing trail maintenance) in the daytime. And be prepared for lots of rain. This link will give an idea of temps in the park, with Newfound Gap & Mt Leconte being most representative of the AT.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=MRXRTPMRX&versions=8

Thanks for volunteering!!! Any good tips for a novice backpacker?

Ridge
06-17-2006, 01:06
....... Do you have any good suggestions for work rain gear, cheap but durable and light?

Use the cheapest thing you can, TM tears up gear.

DebW
06-21-2006, 13:40
For clearing brush, be prepared for lots of bending, stooping, and reaching. Core strength and arm strength will be helpful (think about using loppers over your head all day). But this type of work isn't excessively strenuous. And the tools aren't too heavy unless you are using a chainsaw. Raingear like Marmot Precip should be OK, at least I've never damaged mine with trailwork. But I wouldn't use anything made of silnylon. Be sure to take leather gloves. Gaiters will be useful, especially if you do any digging or clearing of waterbars.

If you ever find yourself lacking the strength to move logs or something, use your brain and think about leverage and angles. I do some serious blowdown work alone, and it can usually be done with my limited strength and a 7 foot pole. Take care and have fun!