PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the PERFECT TRAIL CRACKER

Happy
06-15-2006, 22:31
I normally take Whole Wheat Tortillas as my bread on the trail and use them for wraps, fry them with olive oil and garlic powder. etc. and will continue to do so, but I am looking for the perfect trail cracker.

They will be used for peanut butter, cheese, soup, tuna-salmon, gorp, jerkey,
hummas, etc.

Qualifications include: 1-Healthy 2-Durable 3-Lite-weight 4-Good taste

My current find is Triscuits (Rosemary & Olive Oil) which are 120 calories per serving (6 crackers), 4g fat, only.05 saturated & 0 transfat and are prepared with 100% whole wheat, no sugar, and contain 3g fiber.

They are very durable for crackers and the bag, without box weighs 9.9oz.(includes 10 servings of 6 crackers)

I find the taste to be very good even without spreads, etc.

What are your favorites ?

Ridge
06-15-2006, 22:37
I too use the whole wheat wraps, I like the thicker ones. I also toast them on my zip woodburning stove, break them up after cooled, put in zip and use like crackers.

LostInSpace
06-15-2006, 23:34
In the chain grocery stores I have a found a high-fiber rye cracker, zero fat I believe. I can't remember the brand, but they come in a package about 2.5" x 4" x 6". They hold up pretty well for me. They meet the first three qualifications, but the forth depends on your taste. They are more bland than Triscuits because they do not have the salt or the fat content. I have used them in all the ways you mentioned except for gorp. I like the GoldFish Pretzels in my gorp.

Ridge
06-15-2006, 23:52
I would have to say the standard saltine cracker is probably the official AT cracker, there the cheapest and everybody sells them along the trail. Lots of hikers, me included, eat a lot of peanut butter and crackers are a nice accompaniment. You mentioned zero fat, Thats one thing you don't worry about on a thru-hike, in fact you crave and actually need the calories. For example, I would always get sardines in oil, olive oil if they had em, crack the can, drink the oil then open on up and eat the fish, sop up with bread and eat or just lick if no bread is around. Blue cheese dressing on everything from boiled eggs (my fav) to straight out of the jar. Boiled eggs was a main staple, since I had the zip woodburner, wasn't a problem boiling a dozen or even 2 dozen eggs in one cook session. They will keep about a week in the shell, but they never made it that long.

LostInSpace
06-16-2006, 00:03
I was not recommending them because of the zero fat content, although I may have come across that way. It is just a way to help identify the package. Low sodium and low fat is why I eat them at home, but as you point out, that is not a worry on a thru-hike.

ANHINGA
06-16-2006, 07:00
The perfect trail cracker is a third-generation Floridian who doesn't have any desire to buy the mountaintop he's hiking across. He loves the subtleties of Florida, but enjoys a brief sojourn to the uplands.

Oh, you meant FOOD! Well, perphaps this post will go over big with bears.

fishinfred
06-16-2006, 07:50
Reg. Saltines are great for loading up with Peanut butter and honey,and when they end up all broken and crunched just dump em in soup or whatever .....as Ridge said above "they are just about anywhere along the Trail" and best of all "almost" weightless.
FF

Peaks
06-16-2006, 09:02
Another thing to consider is how fragile is the cracker. I don't want a box or bag of crumbs. That's why I usually go for the wraps rather than crackers.

I'd suggest looking for pilot crackers. They seem to be more durable than many.

Footslogger
06-16-2006, 09:11
[quote=Peaks]Another thing to consider is how fragile is the cracker. I don't want a box or bag of crumbs.
=====================================
I used to carry whole wheat Ritz crackers in a round plastic tube (sythetic chammois came in it). Held one full wrapper of crackers. If you're dead set on carrying crackers you might want to consider that sort of container.

'Slogger

The Solemates
06-16-2006, 09:42
man theres a post for everything huh?

RadioFreq
06-16-2006, 17:41
Another thing to consider is how fragile is the cracker. I don't want a box or bag of crumbs. That's why I usually go for the wraps rather than crackers.

I'd suggest looking for pilot crackers. They seem to be more durable than many.

Crackers are a staple for me on the trail. I carry mine in a 1/2 gallon milk
carton (wax paper type, not plastic). You can fit several full stacks of
saltines or Ritz. Very little breakage. I also like to put in a stack or two of
those small square breads you get in the deli section at the grocery store.
Jewish rye bread is great with peanut butter.

fiddlehead
06-16-2006, 23:36
Ritz!
You'll have a hard time finding all those fancy ones mentioned above in trail towns.
I hiked with a guy who did the whole AT using Ritz and peanut butter as his lunches. I'm getting hungry just thinking about them.

Ridge
06-17-2006, 01:04
3-4 snickers bar dipped in peanut butter and a 1/2 gallon of ice cream to wash it down with was the treat of choice. I remember a weight-watchers crowd at a convenience store watching us at the outside picnic table, one girl asked "Do yall have worms?" The reply was, no we ate those last night. LOL

Skidsteer
06-17-2006, 21:06
In the chain grocery stores I have a found a high-fiber rye cracker, zero fat I believe. I can't remember the brand, but they come in a package about 2.5" x 4" x 6". They hold up pretty well for me. They meet the first three qualifications, but the forth depends on your taste. They are more bland than Triscuits because they do not have the salt or the fat content. I have used them in all the ways you mentioned except for gorp. I like the GoldFish Pretzels in my gorp.

Sounds like you're describing 'Wasa' or 'Ryvita' brand crackers. 'Finncrisp' are also very good. All these brands can be tricky to find in typical trail towns.

johnny quest
06-28-2006, 14:31
3-4 snickers bar dipped in peanut butter and a 1/2 gallon of ice cream to wash it down with was the treat of choice. I remember a weight-watchers crowd at a convenience store watching us at the outside picnic table, one girl asked "Do yall have worms?" The reply was, no we ate those last night. LOL

jesus! im sitting here at work reading and actually laughed out loud! that dont happen often! reminds me of the time....

okiedoo
06-28-2006, 14:52
i found using a old pringles can will help cut down on broken crackers and cus its round it slides any where

TN_Hiker
06-28-2006, 15:41
i found using a old pringles can will help cut down on broken crackers and cus its round it slides any where

That is too easy......gonna leave that one alone

okiedoo
06-28-2006, 16:31
sorry ment in to your back

okiedoo
06-28-2006, 16:32
pack again sorry

Just Jeff
06-28-2006, 21:08
I'm the perfect trail cracker.

Teatime
06-29-2006, 05:59
I hike the trail and am a Cracker, do I count?:p

Auntie Mame
06-29-2006, 23:39
I came across a Ryvita called Fruit Crunch, which have raisins and oats and honey in them. Fantastic with all the usual suspects at lunch, also sturdy and slightly sweet. Nice change from saltines or wraps or English muffins.
The off-price stores have case lots of that kind of thing, cheap.

Nightwalker
06-30-2006, 06:16
I used to carry whole wheat Ritz crackers in a round plastic tube (sythetic chammois came in it). Held one full wrapper of crackers. If you're dead set on carrying crackers you might want to consider that sort of container.

'Slogger
I like a pringles tube as well.

Stonewall
06-30-2006, 13:11
I would always get sardines in oil, olive oil if they had em, crack the can, drink the oil...

I shivered when I read that. I have an iron stomach and can eat anything in any combination but the oil from sardines... shivers. lol.

carolinahiker
06-30-2006, 22:30
Try some MRE crackers wont break in your pack hand mouth stomach digestive track or anywhere else lol . Just kidding i use the small flour wraps myself although hadnt though of baking them also sounds good.

Just Jeff
07-01-2006, 00:17
Haha - the crackers might be the best part of MREs...they're actually pretty good if you have lots of water.