PDA

View Full Version : Attacking trail boredom

Sierra98
06-15-2006, 22:57
I will be doing some voluteer work on the AT in the Smokies. I haven't been on the trail in two years. I know that I will have issues with motivation/outlook etc. I was thinking of taking a very light wt Mp3 player. Any advice. Should I or shouldn't I?

Footslogger
06-15-2006, 23:20
If it was me ...I would. Check out the Zen Nano Plus. Runs on a single AAA battery and has an FM tuner as well. You can load it up with your favorite tunes and also catch some local news or sports now and then.

'Slogger

RITBlake
06-15-2006, 23:21
nobody can answer that question but you. If you feel some music would enhance your hiking experience then do it. Maybe hike w/ music on for a few hours and then off for a few, it's up to you.

I personally really enjoy it. However I usually hiked w/ just 1 earphone in so I wouldn't miss out on the sounds of nature as I walked along. ( also to listen for rattle snakes) In a 10 hour hiking day I probably spent 4 to 5 listening to good music.

RITBlake
06-15-2006, 23:22
Oh, and I carried a super light mp3 player from iRiver. It ran for 40 hours on one AA battery, was lightweight, stored plenty of tunes, and could pick up FM signals.

DawnTreader
06-15-2006, 23:30
I've got the same one RITBlake..

Sierra98
06-15-2006, 23:33
What is a iRiver mp3? Where do I purchase one?

RITBlake
06-16-2006, 01:12
I found my iRiver at one of the bigger audio/video chain stores. it was like a best buy, or a circuit city, wish I could remember the store. Anyway, here is a link to the mp3 player.

This is the new model w/ more memory. Mine wasn't as fancy as this. This weighs just about an ounce and a half w/ out the AA battery
http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ultra/t10/T10-1GB.aspx

What is great about this mp3 player is not only the weight and capacity, but the durability. I carried mine through a 5 month thru hike, it got wet from rain and sweat, got cold when the freezing temps came in, got dropped by clumsy hands and still this mp3 player kept ticking. Our friends Gills and Samoa both carried the same device for their thru hike as well.

RITBlake
06-16-2006, 01:12
if you can't find it in a retail store, you can always get it through amazon, or newegg or somewhere like that

Shadow Walking
06-16-2006, 09:45
I have had the iRiver that was linked above for several months. It is a fantastic player, the software is updatable and allows for over 9hours of music for me. I got it at Best Buy. It has a built in metal clip that I use to attach it to my left shoulder strap for convienence.

I have to agree with RITBlake, hiking with just one earbud in is great.

Blue Jay
06-16-2006, 12:14
Just a suggestion, but if you allow your thoughts to still you can easily fall into a walking meditation that could change your life. Most people have trouble meditating due to daily activities. You mind is always in the future or past and you miss out on the only thing you truly own, the NOW. Yes, you can fill your brain up on artificial music, but for once in your life why not try existing.

chris
06-16-2006, 12:15
Boredom was a really serious problem for me on the AT. Toward the end of my last section, I found that carrying a book was really helpful. I picked these up as I went, either in shelters or in hiker boxes. It seemed to help me a lot in the evening after I stopped hiking.

Sierra98
06-16-2006, 22:18
Thank you for

Sierra98
06-16-2006, 22:22
hey I don't mind just existing but I have not been on the trail in over 2 yrs. I think that the existing part may need a little encouragement from some music. Music has a way of helping you get to that "existing" even if for just a little while. Thanks for your imput.

Paul Bunyan
06-30-2006, 09:07
I use a Smsung Yepp but i have been thinking about going into a Mini CD-MP3 Player.

Paul Bunyan
06-30-2006, 09:07
that's Samsung

Heater
06-30-2006, 09:17
I have had the iRiver that was linked above for several months. It is a fantastic player, the software is updatable and allows for over 9hours of music for me. I got it at Best Buy. It has a built in metal clip that I use to attach it to my left shoulder strap for convienence.

I have to agree with RITBlake, hiking with just one earbud in is great.

Does it switch from stereo to mono? If not, you are missing a lot of the music using one earbud. (like... half, but one third at least...)

:-? :-? :-?

Shadow Walking
06-30-2006, 10:48
Does it switch from stereo to mono? If not, you are missing a lot of the music using one earbud. (like... half, but one third at least...)

Not that I'm aware of, but it still sounds fine to me. It does sound better with both in, but that's not why I'm in the woods :D I don't use it all the time, but it's nice to have to break things up a bit. Also, I keep it at a low volume, so it's more of a background beat.

Spock
06-30-2006, 18:31
I memorize poems and stuff, design gear, identify birds and plants. Keeps my simple mind occupied and doesn't keep me from hearing things.

hikerjohnd
06-30-2006, 19:52
Remember - you can only use the MP3 player if you bring it along. I like the meditation suggestions, but sometimes the mind needs to be occupied. I have an iriver T30 (http://iriveramerica.com/prod/ultra/t30/T30-1GB.aspx) and a SanDisk Sansa M250 (http://sandisk.com/Products/Item%281211%29-SDMX3-2048-Sansa_m250_Digital_Audio_Player_2GB.aspx). I prefer the Sansa because it has teh FM tuner and can play Audible (http://www.audible.com) audio books.