PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake on the A.T.

Buckles
06-16-2006, 10:13
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/16/nc.quake.ap/index.html

jaywalke
06-16-2006, 11:10
There was a trembler in May of 2003 that shook the Trail, too. I was asleep in the new Gooch Gap shelter alone (which is weird enough at the beginning of the Trail in spring). I woke up once when the mice went crazy, squeaking and running all over the place. The second time I woke up the whole shelter was vibrating, and I fuzzily wondered why the shelter was built so close to train tracks. My buddy outside in a hammock never felt a thing.

I forgot all about by the next morning, and didn't remember until the folks at Neels Gap asked us if we had felt the earthquake.

Buckles
06-16-2006, 11:23
There was a trembler in May of 2003 that shook the Trail, too. I was asleep in the new Gooch Gap shelter alone (which is weird enough at the beginning of the Trail in spring). I woke up once when the mice went crazy, squeaking and running all over the place. The second time I woke up the whole shelter was vibrating, and I fuzzily wondered why the shelter was built so close to train tracks. My buddy outside in a hammock never felt a thing.

I forgot all about by the next morning, and didn't remember until the folks at Neels Gap asked us if we had felt the earthquake.

Now you're going to get all the hammock lovers all excited that they've got one more reason to blow their trumpets about the benefits of the swinging green trapeze. :rolleyes:

Jaybird
06-16-2006, 12:14
There was a trembler in May of 2003 that shook the Trail, too. I was asleep in the new Gooch Gap shelter alone...............

i wuz at RUSSELL FIELD SHELTER w/ "the Model T Crew" when that earthquake hit....i thought it was a bear on the roof! hehehehehehe:D

Moon Monster
06-18-2006, 19:18
Now you're going to get all the hammock lovers all excited that they've got one more reason to blow their trumpets about the benefits of the swinging green trapeze. :rolleyes:

I'd argue the opposite--being an East Coast boy, I'd love to feel every small earthquake I'd be lucky enough to be around.

I consider myself lucky to have felt the December 2003 4.5 quake in central-Virginia.

Doctari
06-18-2006, 20:02
Personally, I don't think it was a "real" earthquake. My theroy is that a group of Thru Hikers in a shelter got to snoring in unison, creating a harmonic and, well, it WAS newsworthy :p

Doctari.