PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Tru-Hikers registry

Pages : 1 [2]

eLowHiker
01-22-2007, 22:45
hiking nobo with another gearhead like me, march 25th @ springer, looking to average 20 miles a day, no trailname yet... best to earn it on the trail

Bryan Mc
01-22-2007, 23:39
heading out with the guy above me. nobo march 25th at springer. also no trailname yet.

skyhiker2
01-22-2007, 23:50
Solo, North Bound, March 15th... Lock Up your farm animals people I'am walking to Maine.....

dsg
01-24-2007, 00:12
i'm starting on a tuesday, and i'm finishuing on a thursday (so my son can pick me up over a weekend - he says her can take off any more work this year!)

the Nighthawk
01-29-2007, 17:11
I will be hitting the trail on Feb. 13, planning on being at Katadin 115 days later. My two brothers from another mother will be starting with me.

Blissful
01-29-2007, 21:24
I will be hitting the trail on Feb. 13, planning on being at Katadin 115 days later. My two brothers from another mother will be starting with me.

Wow, why the rush? (You'll also be in bug city in ME)

mixinmaster
01-29-2007, 22:54
Solo NoBo, March 20th, Male, 42 years young, wounded right knee from recent SLC ski accident, WILL NOT STOP my dream from starting on schedule.......... I never wanted to do the approach trail really, been there, done that.......... but I will only because the state park start is "right" IMO, but to each his own.......... Here's to the Class of '07.....:sun

Jim Adams
01-29-2007, 23:08
starting @ Springer on March 11 and hiking for a warm up until our PCT thru start on April12. Good luck to all. Go slow, have fun and ALWAYS look back...it's a view that you haven't seen yet!
geek

pants
02-01-2007, 13:59
Starting Feb 28 NOBO, solo hiking. Planning on hiking as many miles per day as I comfortably can. I won't know how many that is until I do it.

backyardboogie
02-01-2007, 21:30
Hiking north February 27 2007 hope to hook up with Butch Cassidy and The sundance Kid.

maxNcathy
02-03-2007, 15:53
Solo NoBo, March 20th, Male, 42 years young, wounded right knee from recent SLC ski accident, WILL NOT STOP my dream from starting on schedule.......... I never wanted to do the approach trail really, been there, done that.......... but I will only because the state park start is "right" IMO, but to each his own.......... Here's to the Class of '07.....:sun

Hi Kevin. You will no doubt catch me as I leave just ahead of you...on March 19 from FR 42.

Max/ Sandalwood

Mountain Man
02-08-2007, 08:37
I decided to leave out a little earlier. Starting from Amicalola on Feb. 20.
See yall out there.

maxNcathy
02-08-2007, 09:42
Looks like I will be meeting You too Tony.
Do you have all your gear?
Sandalwood/ Max

shiningpathb4me
02-08-2007, 11:17
Thruhiked in 2001. Will bring my son this time, NOBO from Springer end of may when he gets out of school. 14 mpd average, flip at Harpers Ferry possibly.

Shining Path

cbs125
02-08-2007, 12:49
i'll be leaving from the appoarch trail march 15th after staying the night of the 14th in the hiker hostel. I'm flying down from PHL to ATL on AirTran. my journal is up at www.trailjournals.com/Trocar (http://www.trailjournals.com/Trocar)

Trocar GA-ME 2007

Boat Drinks
02-08-2007, 12:52
My start date is March 13. haven't decided whether I'm doing the approach or not.... See you out there!!!

StephanieS
02-08-2007, 14:56
Solo, female, 30, NOBO. Turtle-like pace. Hope to start around March 18th, and continue until I find out if I get in/start grad school for the fall.

Butch Cassidy
02-08-2007, 15:57
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Leaving NOBO Feb. 27th. The Wild Bunch hits the trail again.
www.trailjournals.com/butchsundance Butch:cool:

maxNcathy
02-08-2007, 16:22
Solo, female, 30, NOBO. Turtle-like pace. Hope to start around March 18th, and continue until I find out if I get in/start grad school for the fall.

Hi SS, looks like we may be poking along heading north about the same time. I start from Rd. 42 Monday 19th morning. If I don't get to see you I hope you have a great hike and I wish you good luck in getting into the grad school you want.
Our son turns 30 tomorrow. He thinks he is getting quite old.

Do you have trail name? Are you doing a trailjournal.com?

Sandalwood

StephanieS
02-08-2007, 18:24
I'll keep an eye out for you Sandalwood! No name yet, I am still waiting for inspiration to strike.

General Tso
02-08-2007, 21:35
Hope to see you out there.

Cerridwen
02-09-2007, 00:27
March 3rd - solo - northbound- I am going to hike, and hike, and hike, and eat and sleep (and have some fun too) and that's all that matters

Earl Grey
02-09-2007, 00:50
May 19/solo/NOBO starting at Harpers Ferry. Hope to see some of you out there. Not sure of my trail name yet but im leaning to the town name in which I grew up in.

check out http://2000togo.com (http://2000togo.com/)

Calmwater
02-09-2007, 01:20
April 15....Starting nobo/solo from Springer, most likely will average 15 miles per day maybe less in the beginning.

DjangoRob
02-09-2007, 06:18
Just as an update since I saw the registry; myself and Skipper the Eye Child are gonna be starting the hike sometime around the 26th of February now.

Grandma Dixie
02-09-2007, 11:22
See you on the trail djangorob, we're starting the day before you.

Retriever
02-09-2007, 19:55
Will be leaving Springer on Mar 7. Hope to meet many of you on the trail. I'll certainly meet most of you who start after me because I will be SLOW!Happy hiking. Retriever

Ronin
02-10-2007, 18:08
Hi everyone. I'll be starting on April 1 from Amicalola Falls. I will be doing the approach trail - it's part of the AT experience for me. Obviously, I'm NOBO. I'll be solo and looking forward to meeting a lot of you along the way! My online journal: www.trailjournals.com/ronin (http://www.trailjournals.com/ronin)

Cheers!

McGyver
02-12-2007, 15:36
Starting my thru-hike on April 11, probably will do approach trail! Can't Wait!

theoutsider
02-14-2007, 23:35
Starting my thru hike in maine and following all the way down to south america. starting the day i hit 3000 dollars in the bank (Between april and may 1st latest)

rasudduth
02-15-2007, 17:04
Starting a SOBO Thru mid-June 2007. Can't wait!:banana

K-Man
02-15-2007, 18:06
Soooo Cloooose...

30 Days, 19 Hours, and 25 Minutes until my plane leaves from Jerz. Argggg I'm driving myself nuts...

NoBo March 19th

TOW
02-16-2007, 09:14
Throwback just came thru Damascus about 5 days ago. Anybody see him, PM me and let me know...............

TOW
02-17-2007, 13:01
Throwback has returned to Damascus yesterday saying a skunk had eaten all of his food?

Rockman1
02-19-2007, 13:58
I have been delayed. My new starting date is Mar. 20, NOBO, solo. I look forward to seeing your happy faces on down the trail

Rockman

greyhound
02-20-2007, 09:19
solo hiker leaving Springer mid to late march

maxNcathy
02-20-2007, 09:20
I have been delayed. My new starting date is Mar. 20, NOBO, solo. I look forward to seeing your happy faces on down the trail

Rockman

Rockman/Steve, Sounds like you are a down-to-earth guy and I hope to meet you as I leave from Rd 42 March 19th. Watch for me, Sandalwood/Max.

RobKimball
02-20-2007, 09:34
Hitting the approach trail on April 2! Can't wait to see you all out there!

Rob

Jim Adams
02-20-2007, 09:40
Wacked, Crazy Wolf, Boudan, Tarpinator and myself will be on Springer 3/11 and start our hike on 3/12. Hope to see you all and good luck.

geek

greyhound
02-20-2007, 10:41
Starting NB March 17th. To fullfill my dream of doing a Thru and in memory of my nephew Eric who died March 17, 2006 of Leukemia and never had the chance to live out his dream of hiking the AT.

Also will be a fundraiser (here at home ONLY) for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society.

Planned hike of 188 days, so I have plenty of time to smell the roses.

Eric called me Uncle Buck, thus the trailname.:D

Have an employer (family business) who will keep the $ flowing in while I hike, a wife who understands and the desire so..............SEE YOU ON KATAHDIN!!!
I am also starting around that time and admire what you are doing. I have a friend who was recently paralyzed. If you are willing, I would be interested to know how you set up the fundraiser and mabye do something similar myself.

[email protected]

"easy does it, but do it"

WhoAh
02-20-2007, 12:09
Wacked, Crazy Wolf, Boudan, Tarpinator and myself will be on Springer 3/11 and start our hike on 3/12. Hope to see you all and good luck.

Will be starting the same time - see ya up there!!

Bluebelle
02-21-2007, 18:12
Heading north on AT beginning March 15th. Looking forward to meeting everyone! Tree has just retired and we will be celebrating for the next 5 or 6 months....point us north if you see we are headed the wrong way please!! This is going to be a great hiking year...See you on the trail!:sun

Leatherneck07
02-21-2007, 20:53
Leatherneck here. First opportunity I've had to hike as I retired in December and turned 60 the same month. I'm staying at the Amicalola Falls Lodge night of April 2nd and leaving the next morning (driving to the trail, hiking .9 miles back to the start) and hope to get anywhere from 8 to 12 miles per day to start. The more I train and prepare for this the more Zen-like attitude I take. I want to enjoy the trip and I do want to complete the AT in one season. Semper Fi CoopDog.

greyhound
02-21-2007, 21:44
Anybody ever play a Washburn Rover guitar? Just wondering how it compares to the Martin Backpacker. Also, is anyone hiking this year that is friends with Bill W? Take care all.
Greyhound

-easy does it

JamesCEdmonds
02-22-2007, 00:07
Hi All,
My name is James and I will go by that on the trail. I'm hoping to start it within the next couple days. I plan a thru-hike but I don't know if funds will allow it. I went around and handed out deposit slips to all the people who owe me money(mostley family) and if most of them pay at least half what they owe me then it will be no problem. I guessing if I truely rough it I will be able to do at least 1/2 of it no matter if they repay me or not. I'll be the guy useing his army issued duffle-bag with his name and social spray painted on the left hand side.(The way the army used to do it.) I'll probaly be sleeping under a tarp and using the blanket off my bed. My lantern will probaly be a wet candle.
I'm almost 30 years old and a bit out of shape. Back when I was in the army a 15 mile road march with a 75 lb ruck(not counting the 20 lbs weight of the gun I carried. And the ammo was usualy just as much) was usualy done before breakfest. But typicaly not everyday, but like I said that was long ago... I just hope I don't go screaming off the mountain.
I plan to hike for about 10 hours a day after I get my lungs clean, but I do smoke and I just hope I can make it to the starting point. Don't ask for a smoke I won't have any after the second day.
Well, I'm not much of a talker, but if you see me on the trail don't be to shy and just say hi. Most of you look like you will be leaving out a little after me but some of you sound like you will be passing me up. Like I said I'll have an old duffle-bag packed full but the weight shouldn't be to much. I'll probaly be wearing running shoes most of the way. I'll look like the most disorganized hiker out there for sure until I find a good groove. It feels like forever since I've even been camping....
Wish you all luck sincerly, James.

Spock
02-22-2007, 15:04
Leaving in late March, NOBO - depending on weather trends. Got trail name Spock on 03, kept it in 04. May wait and see if another gets laid on me.

Mr. Parkay
02-23-2007, 03:51
Hello Everybody,

I'll be back on the AT again this year. I had a great experience last year, so I'm really looking forward to getting back out and living the hiker lifestyle again. My plan is to start two times:

On March 4th or 5th I'll start the approach with a few buddies from the '06 class (Grey Fox, Miss Parkay, Swiss Miss, and maybe Chocolate Bandito and Lepracaun for part of the time). We're planning to spend the next 4 or 5 days hiking to Neels gap. We're all excited about getting back on the trail and meeting all of the new hikers.

On March 11th or 12th I'll return to Springer to start again with Geek, Tarpenatior, Boudan, Crazy Wolf & Crew. These are the very same people that I met on day 1 of last years hike. Great people and mighty fine way to start a thru-hike!

I probably won't complete the trail this year... since I'll have to leave sometime in August for College. But that's ok, for me, there's no better place to be than on the Appalachian trail. Looking forward to seeing all you guys out there!

--Mr. Parkay

Slim aka Nancy
02-25-2007, 23:37
Nine years after completing a ten-year section hike we finally have the opportunity to thru-hike. No jobs, no lights, no motor cars, not a single luxury. just foot power, motivation and attitude. We've been wanting to do this for 20 years. Hope to see many of you out there.
Slim and Bogey

fredhikes
02-27-2007, 00:17
Starting March 17, solo NB. That's if I can wait that long, the trail is all I think about. Hope to see you guys out there.

mixinmaster
02-27-2007, 01:15
March 20th start has been pushed up to Monday, March 26th arrival at Springer Mtn......... Decided not to do the approach trail again........ Not doing the Len Foote Inn thing............ Leaving pack at trailhead on 42, walking in a true slackpack way up to plaque, turning around and back to pack and the few miles I feel like going, no more than 5 or 6 more...... Same for Tuesday, no more than 8 give or take...and Wed.....and Thurs........... Slow and steady..........One day at a time....Gradually increase a mile or two.......... Maybe......... If I feel like it:D... ...........

I would like to take this time to thank EVERYONE for the posts here, although I've really never posted but a time or two, I can and do spend HOURS reading the advice and ideas of grizzled veterans and wet-behind-the-ears greenhorns........... I think all of it increases my odds of success........... or at the least helps me understand and make less mistakes..........I hope.. Course my pack seems stuck on 21.5 base weight........... Guess the 4 oz frisbee gotta go..........:sun

Rob McKinney
02-27-2007, 03:07
Hi all, first post.

Like many before me, I've decided to use a thru hike on the AT as a 'reset button' for my life. I'd been fighting various health problems for a few years but I think I'm finally healthy.

IF I can get in acceptable shape in the next month, I'll set out on a nobo. If not, I'll wait until later in the summer and start from Maine.

Looking forward to seeing you out on the trail.

Rob

burnoutlocal
02-27-2007, 04:06
I Will Be Starting Around Mid-april Heading Nobo. I Am Currently Studying The Hiker And Guide Info And Tips On This Great Site And Preparing Mail Drops And Saving Money. When Spring Semester Is Over, I'll Be Headed To North Georgia To Start And Hopefully Pursue A Dream. Hope To See You All There!!!!
you know exactly what dates you start?? i think i fly in on April 22 and start on 23, i will try to hike at least 8hr a day or 20 or more

burnoutlocal
02-27-2007, 04:13
shooting for the 23rd or 24th of april heading NOBO with my son. we are flying out after his 14th birthday which is on the 21st of april.

we plan on starting out doing 13-17 miles per day.
i plan to start on the same day , around april 23 or 24 , i see you there !!!! cool another Cali folks , i saw your pics on the JMT , very cool , i did that trail in 2001 and 2003 , in 2005 i complete the PCT !!!!

daves mom
02-27-2007, 07:50
just trying to find some info for son who is going to hike in april for about a month he has not done this before but has many adventures in ak and a few places.........i plan to check my em and print for him.........thanks ev1

hummer
02-27-2007, 13:38
NOBO starting btw march 7th-9th with woofer and amigo. No approach trail. Right now still sitting at my desk at work in wisconsin......too excited to describe. se y'all there! :-)

Rob McKinney
02-27-2007, 14:20
wow. now that i see so many people are staring later (i.e., mid/late april) -- i may give that a shot.

gekko
02-28-2007, 00:37
The Breadless Horseman, leaving Springer NOBO on March 17th, walking with skyhiker

Walk On Boy
02-28-2007, 15:37
No name yet, NOBO, leaving Springer March 22. From what I've heard I'll be walking with a crowd. Any truth to this?

Lone Wolf
02-28-2007, 15:40
No name yet, NOBO, leaving Springer March 22. From what I've heard I'll be walking with a crowd. Any truth to this?

probably 15 or so will start that day.

Hoku
03-01-2007, 12:03
April 4th NOBO.

Skip Battaglia
03-01-2007, 14:31
OK. I'm gonna do this thing. Beginning solo Springer Mtn March 22. Expect that I'll just catch up with whoever walks my slow speed, talks my fast talk. Boiught the airplane ticket to Atlanta, one way, today. See you all!!!

sloopjonboswell
03-02-2007, 03:16
planning to start unicoi gap on the 17-18th of march. i grew up hiking the georgia section and will start with good concience on my own thru. very excited, cant wait to meet this years class.

teledaveaustin
03-02-2007, 16:35
Morning of March 15th - Planning on spending the night of the 14th at or tenting near Black Gap shelter/I'm Northbound/ Expected miles per day - I'm starting slow, maybe 6 to 10 mpd then increase. My local trail name is Trooper but I'm open to a new one if it happens. 49 years old. Diangnosed with cancer Aug 06 but feeling well enough now to tackle this hike. More about me at myspace com/kevlarcorazon

Brushy Sage
03-02-2007, 20:20
While doing trail maintenance today (Mar 2, 2007) I met "Combat," a southbound hiker who started in Maine in July, 2006, and has stopped along the way, most recently at Miss Janet's in Erwin, TN. We met as he had just come down the mountain from Walnut Mountain shelter and was heading on down toward Roaring Fork shelter and Max Patch. Anybody know him?

TOW
03-03-2007, 12:33
I met Bear Bait and his cousin today. Can't remember the cousins name, Todd or something like that, maybe Andy, who knows? I just want to give all of you hostel and other types that are in service to hikers a heads up about these two fine young men. They are working their way right up the trail and they "WORK!" They aised me in cleaning up a garden space at the Hikers Inn here in Damascus, plus they did some other work for Suzanne yesterday. Right now they are off moving a bed for someone. They are interested in working for stay, food and so on. They are in their twenty's and raised on farm land in north Georgia.

Anyway I just wanted to put in a good report on these two. Tomorrow I plan on feeding them a big ole brunch before they head out........

Blue Wolf
03-03-2007, 13:02
Gonna head out around the 15th of march NOBO no approach trail,gonna do low miles till I get the hang of it just treating it as a vacation, not a quest to get to main I want to savor it all.

Blue Wolf
03-03-2007, 13:03
oops typo Maine

maxNcathy
03-03-2007, 14:01
Monday, March 19th. Taking photo of plaque on Springer at 11 AM. Be there for group photo. hahahaha

doggiebag
03-03-2007, 16:04
Max aka: Doggiebag, Northbound with my trusty companion Aldo (Cattle dog). If all goes well starting around the 3rd week of this month ... the sooner the better. Starting slow but will stabilize at around 15 miles per day. Just finalizing a few things ... getting extra pair of prescription glasses, dental visit etc. Currently I'm trying to put on another 10 lbs on my skinny butt within the next 2 weeks. This afternoon's snack is as folows: small peperoni pizza with artichoke hearts and anchovies, one pint chocolate icecream, 6 ounces of Blue diamond onion & garlic almonds, chocolate chip cake, apple pie and Mug root beer (the dog is getting spoiled as well - we are chowing like a couple of Caligulas at a Roman buffet).

abbailey
03-03-2007, 17:10
Thru-Hiking with my black lab Jessie.......plan to hike Northbound, and if everything goes as planned I will start around the first of April. I want to average about 12 miles a day

Treadwell
03-03-2007, 19:12
hello all.

trail-name's treadwell. forgive me if i err in posting my <2000 mile intentions here.

i am starting in damascus, va late april and hope to trek right through to harper's ferry, wva. i have five weeks to cover that distance and anticipate 15-20 mile days.

i'm 35-years old, from san francisco and recently finished treatment for cancer. i will be doing this solo, but look forward to meeting many new friends on the trail.

cheers! to you all and i'll see you soon.

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-04-2007, 09:31
Hello all, its looks like I will be out there again this year. Max Power and I will be leaving from Springer on April 5, 2007. Northbound of course, mileage, heck whatever we want to do. My wife will start with us from Springer to Neels Gap, so we will do 8 miles per day for 4 days, then off we will go for the rest.

To all out there that know me, Hi Ya and Cya on the Trail

Boy, does this feel good :)

Penne
03-04-2007, 20:32
I'm planning an early June SOBO solo hike. I don't have a trail name yet. My guess is I'll hike about 10 miles a day to start. I can't wait to hit the trail.

Bill Power
03-05-2007, 13:07
Bill Powers SOBO from Katadin on 6/1 - solo - want to do only about 12 miles a day. I can almost remember when dirt was first made. I'm in no rush and want to enjoy every minute. I'm old but never grew up. I am prepared. Robo (trail name) and I have been talking for months and I walk and run every day. We have developed a great friendship and I look forward to making more on the trail.
My email is bpowers@cmtgse and my trail name is Mtg Man.
Thanks
Bill

antonweir
03-07-2007, 00:35
March 16 NOBO
exp. mpd is about 20 (my average for West Texas mountain walking)
solo & no postal drops
with approach trail
(Why miss perhaps the most beautiful waterfall in the old South? Isn't that the whole reason for going on this trek?)
no current trail name

Figure I might as well post. This forum has been helpful in choosing gear and preparing myself for the trials such a long walk presents.

Hope to see some of you out there.
AW

the Comet
03-17-2007, 23:15
One more week of work. First day on the trail is May 1, NOBO. Still undecided about the approach trail, but will probably do it. Goal is 4 months, but we'll let the weather and my body decide that in the end. See you all out there and best of luck to everyone.

Just Jack
03-18-2007, 00:20
Solo, NOBO, Leo. 66 male Leaving about April 1-give or take a couple days.
First time checking in. Looking foward to meeting all of you on the trail.
Don't know what to tell you about daily mileage as I am so slow I have to go by the same spot three times just to leave a shadow. When I get the pack loaded, there is no room for clothes. Anybody else thinking about hiking naked? GO HEELS

hikerchris
03-19-2007, 10:25
I will be Solo SOBO beginning June 1. Good times, good times...:sun

evanesque
03-19-2007, 10:40
hey...read your post..my name is evan and i'll be starting out around the 8th of april--or so--, lol you know how that goes. i'm a two-time thruhiker with about 18000 actual trail miles in life and i'm just here to offer you any tips, help, advice you might be interested in..if any. my email is [email protected] let me know if i can be of help!! see ya...

Earl Grey
03-19-2007, 16:51
So many hikers. I hope to get to meet some of you.

The Impersonator
03-20-2007, 08:49
A hale and hearty hello to you all. Trail name: still debating. But I'll be taking a Greyhound on April 8'th from Providence, RI and going to Georgia. Should arrive on the 9'th. From there, I'll be taking a shuttle service to Amicalola Falls.

Roughly 10-15 miles a day for first month, afterwards shooting for 15 or more daily. I'm 23, and will have my 24'th birthday on the trail! I hope to meet some cool people on this journey.

Going solo, NOBO. First timer, but determined. Wouldn't mind joining up with people here and there, along the way. CAN'T BLOODY WAIT!

Feel free to private message me!

Rob

doggiebag
03-20-2007, 09:59
Team Doggiebag in route. Will start up the approach trail to Springer tomorrow morning.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15682&c=530

Regards,
Doggiebag & Aldo

Senor Quack
03-20-2007, 15:23
Thru-hiker Dan Silsby reporting in, starting out this friday, March 23rd after staying at the Hiker's Hostel overnight.

Haven't posted here a whole lot but have read Whiteblaze forever. Thanks to Jack Tarlin for the resupply guide, Weathercarrot for the inexpensive hike article and countless others for non-stop laughs and good advice. :sun

Can't wait to meet all you newcomers and oldtimers out there. Don't have a trailname yet, but here's a f'd up link to my trailjournal for now:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5611

Hope my pack mule doesn't give out.

mountain squid
03-20-2007, 17:39
Robotic pack mule?!? That was funny:D...Hope it doesn't give out on you. For those interested check out Senor Quack's gear on TJ.

Good Luck on your hike.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

tokin
03-20-2007, 17:59
I am new to WhiteBlaze.net, but this site is awesome!

I will be going solo (probably) SOBO starting in mid June (between June 16-20). I did the LT NOBO last summer ('06) and picked up the trail name Tokin' Minority. Hope to see some of you on the trail!

Sameer

trailblazed
03-22-2007, 11:54
Home Town: Danville, NH
Direction: NOBO
Starting Date: 3/29/07
Est. Finish: Sept.

Less than a week... I can't wait to get out there...

-TrailBlazed

Treadwell
03-24-2007, 11:54
hello all.

appalachian plans have been torpedoed. received news this week i've had a recurrence of cancer...so there still other challenges to face.

i wish you all the best of luck and perhaps will meet up with you *next* year.

cheers!
treadwell

chicote
03-24-2007, 12:42
cheers to all who have started and to all planning. We are on our way down from nc to ga and will start the approach tomorrow.many thanks ti WB for all the great help and healthy discussions. Can't wait to meet you all.Ron and Kelgauldenat2007.blogspot.com

rafe
03-24-2007, 15:17
hello all.

appalachian plans have been torpedoed. received news this week i've had a recurrence of cancer...so there still other challenges to face.

i wish you all the best of luck and perhaps will meet up with you *next* year.

Very sorry to hear that. Best wishes and hopes for you. Take care.

namehere
03-27-2007, 00:20
starting on the 30th nobo. not sure of mileage, but will start slowwww.

namehere
03-27-2007, 00:21
starting on the 30th nobo. not sure of mileage, but will start slowwww.

march 30th :o

debug07
03-27-2007, 16:16
I'm heading off sometime during the 3rd/4th week of April, northward bound. My dad suggested the trail name, El' Ohesty... :D, but I'm still undecided. Perhaps "debug"? Actually, most of my thoughts have been focused on what type of underwear to pack. AH!

What I do know is that having bought a 5.2oz backpack (zpacks.com), I've committed myself to doing a whacko-ultralight thru-hike. But with my experience (I went backpacking twice in 2001), I'm pretty confident it'll all work out :)

Hope to see everyone out there!! (...as I'll probably need all the help I can get)

mixinmaster
03-27-2007, 20:08
Update for me. My start date is this Sunday late, or early Monday April 2nd........ Will get driven to the State Park on Sunday, hang a little, then go up 42, park and walk pack free up to the plaque, touch and sign, take a pic, back down to trailhead, grab my Mountainsmith Ghost and go a few miles at best, cook, crash, and start full day Monday.......... Guess my trail name will be Mixin, as my emails and user ids for years have been Mixinmagic, Mixinmaster, Mixinman, and the like............Good luck to everyone in the tunnel, including me........:D

StarLyte
03-27-2007, 20:23
What a great thread this is....

Just Jack
03-28-2007, 19:49
Just a quick update. My ride is coming by for me this Friday morning and we will spend Friday nite on Springer and start Saturday morning. Anybody taking
a coat and tie to eat in town restaurants? If I take a generator, will I have trouble getting fuel--hate to sleep in the dark. Thanks to everybody that posts here. It's been a valuable lesson(s) that I know will serve me well. Looking foward to the pleasure of you'alls company.

Whistler
03-28-2007, 23:51
I put in my two weeks' notice yesterday!! I'll be heading out the weekend after Easter, April 14 or 15.

Woo!
-Mark

1Pint
03-29-2007, 14:11
I put in my two weeks' notice yesterday!! I'll be heading out the weekend after Easter, April 14 or 15. Woo!
-Mark

Yipppeeeee!!
Me too! Well, not yesterday, but it's in and today I got back the very "official acceptance" of my resignation. Yeah, whatever. Like I care that they approve - don't they get it? I'M LEAVING!!!!!

This is a :banana :banana :banana moment. (sorry folks, I know that banana can be beyond annoying)

Hope to see everyone on the trail at some point this year!
Laura
:D <--- that's my face for the next 6 months

StarLyte
03-29-2007, 14:12
Yipppeeeee!!
Me too! Well, not yesterday, but it's in and today I got back the very "official acceptance" of my resignation. Yeah, whatever. Like I care that they approve - don't they get it? I'M LEAVING!!!!!

Hope to see everyone on the trail at some point this year!
Laura
:D <--- that's my face for the next 6 months

HA HA HA

GREAT 1Pint !!!!!!! :sun

ms doolittle
03-29-2007, 16:10
Hey Mountain Squid!

It was good to meet you on Monday/Tuesday (I was the chick with Green Hornet). Sorry I wasn't much for words on Tuesday on the way out. You know... ;)

Hope the rest of your week was good!

StarLyte
03-29-2007, 17:01
MtSquid - you did a fantastic of constructing the 2007 Hiker Registry - I can print this out and be on my way this year !!!

AWESOME job brotha !!!!!

tokin
03-30-2007, 20:47
Got a date set now for my SOBO hike...June 13, 2007, Katahdin and I will battle it out!

crackwhore
04-01-2007, 10:22
Just wanted to see if anyone else was going on this date. I am solo.

Peace

SuicidalSlinky
04-02-2007, 15:51
I'm hoping to be a SOBO hiker leaving June 15 or soon after. Yay!

mountain squid
04-03-2007, 18:52
Just to let everyone know, I just updated the list...

Thanks StarLyte. I hope it has been helpful.

ms doolittle, Don't worry about Green Hornet. Hopefully, his biggest concern will be fighting for shelter space when it rains:eek:. The rest of the week was great!!!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

ms doolittle
04-03-2007, 19:53
Thanks for all you do, Mt Squid. :)

Heard from green hornet yesterday. He was spending the day in Hiawassee because of some nasty blisters on his feet. I suspect he got back on the trail today.

I'm sure I'll be seeing some of those other folks on the list when I go visit in Rocksylvania.

mixinmaster
04-07-2007, 09:42
Final start countdown repeat......... I did not make the start last week, but am heading down to Springer late, late tommorrow and will hit the park early,early Monday, sign and photo op, then take off to FS 42, walk packless to the summit, NOT bare butt the plaque but use BSI procedures to kiss it, photo op, and here we go, its been a long time coming...... Thanks to the admin here for providing such a great site.........

The Impersonator
04-21-2007, 20:11
Hey folks. I was on the AT in GA for about a week, made it from Amicalola to Neel's Gap. My iPod was stolen by some punk (called himself Jared Edwards) at the Hiker Hostel. (Hiker Hostel was beautiful, really just a fantastic place. It isn't a very common occurance, but I guess I was just that unlucky .01 percent.)

Anyway, my sleeping bag offered no insulation, my tent was junk, and the pack started ripping at the seems. I didn't budget myself for 3 major expenses like that at Neel's Gap, and so my journey came to an abrupt and disappointing end.

However, this is not a defeat. I will return!

I'm taking the next 2 months to save as much dough as possible, get the right gear, and set out again, this time SOBO, in mid June.

I was bitten by the bug. The AT is addictive. I will return, and this time, I'll be prepared like a good little boyscout.

My trailname was "The Impersonater." My name is Rob. I hope to meet some of the folks I started out with at Springer and Amicalola on my SOBO journey.

Faire well, wherever you faire!!!!

the Comet
04-29-2007, 02:50
Hello all...goodbye all.

I'm flying down to ATL Monday and on the trail starting this Tuesday. NOBO thru attempt. Thanks to everyone for all of the help in preparing and I hope to see a bunch of you out there!

If you want to follow my hike, my wife built this page:

http://www.iamthechan.com (http://www.iamthechan.com/)

Signing off,

the Comet

mudbug
05-05-2007, 21:49
Hi everybody, I know that I do not qualify as a thru-hiker because I'm just hiking the first 1000 miles (Springer-Harper's Ferry), but I am leaving on May 16th for the first of many adventures. I am looking forward to reading y'all in the trail registers!!!

StarLyte
05-06-2007, 08:33
Hi everybody, I know that I do not qualify as a thru-hiker because I'm just hiking the first 1000 miles (Springer-Harper's Ferry), but I am leaving on May 16th for the first of many adventures. I am looking forward to reading y'all in the trail registers!!!

Hey there-
I'm not a thru hiker, I've been hiking on the A.T. for 42 years.
Yes, trail registers are a lot of fun to read. Don't believe everything you read though :eek:
Good luck to you - and have fun.

StarLyte
05-06-2007, 08:40
Hey folks. I was on the AT in GA for about a week, made it from Amicalola to Neel's Gap. My iPod was stolen by some punk (called himself Jared Edwards) at the Hiker Hostel. (Hiker Hostel was beautiful, really just a fantastic place. It isn't a very common occurance, but I guess I was just that unlucky .01 percent.)

Anyway, my sleeping bag offered no insulation, my tent was junk, and the pack started ripping at the seems. I didn't budget myself for 3 major expenses like that at Neel's Gap, and so my journey came to an abrupt and disappointing end.

However, this is not a defeat. I will return!

I'm taking the next 2 months to save as much dough as possible, get the right gear, and set out again, this time SOBO, in mid June.

I was bitten by the bug. The AT is addictive. I will return, and this time, I'll be prepared like a good little boyscout.

My trailname was "The Impersonater." My name is Rob. I hope to meet some of the folks I started out with at Springer and Amicalola on my SOBO journey.

Faire well, wherever you faire!!!!

It really hurts when someone steals from you, but even more when you KNOW who did it. That is such a violation to one's spirit, passion and hiking experience. Don't worry...that hiker will never forget what he did, and will always be looking behind him wondering...

So sorry to hear about your gear!!

I can tell you've been "bitten"....isn't it great? Guess what? IT NEVER GOES AWAY ha ha ha.

I certainly hope to meet you somewhere out there. If you attend Trail Days, please stop by the ALDHA booth so that I can shake your hand and offer support. There's a lot of us out there that care. Trust me on that.

Get your new gear and hike on my friend. :sun

Crawbear
05-09-2007, 11:43
Looking forward to getting out there. Anyone else starting then?

knicksin2010
05-10-2007, 20:46
NOBO for 80 days - starting May 14

brad2291
05-11-2007, 02:14
SOBO, solo, starting in Mid-July, hopefully going the whole way. I would love some company, anyone starting katahdin around then?
Send me a message.

Deaner
05-15-2007, 20:40
Following Graduation. Two of us will be starting in Maine going SOBO between June 10 -15. Looking forward to it all.

TomScanlan
05-24-2007, 14:24
Can someone point me to the "list" that Mt Squid is keeping? I keep hearing about it, but haven't found it.

I'm leaving for Maine in 6 more days to start SOBO on June 1. I've been hearing the trail may still be closed at that point due to snow. Anyone starting in early june this year should pay attention to the "ME Conditions" thread or give a call up to the park.

It's been fun! Normal life really can be folded up an put into storage. I've sold a house, quit my job, have a home or two found for my cat, broke my apartment lease, gave away most of my "normal life" possessions, and will be putting the remainder of them into storage.

"Normal life" then will be represented by a small key that doesn't register a weight on my scale that I'll carry with me for a couple thousand miles. 28 years of life in a small, dense block of metal. I wouldn't be sad if I lost it.

ms doolittle
05-24-2007, 21:14
Go here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2007thruhikers

the Nighthawk
05-29-2007, 11:29
I attempted a thru-hike (NOBO) this year and was forced to leave the trail due to a serious illness in my family. My trailname was (is) "Nighthawk" and I was one-third of the group known as the "Boyz II Maine." For those of you who knew us over the 1,100 miles we covered, this is an update to what happened to us.

I also have a question. I started on February 13 from Springer with an amazing guy by the name of "Grateful" (given name Mike). I called Harpers Ferry a couple weeks ago to see if he had passed through, but they had no record of him. Can anyone please inform me if he is still on the trail and his approximate location?

Also, where is the biggest swarm of hikers. I am thinking of a little trail magic vacation next week and want to find some in need of refreshing.

Thanks!

-(the) Nighthawk

Jan LiteShoe
05-31-2007, 00:42
"I also have a question. I started on February 13 from Springer with an amazing guy by the name of "Grateful" (given name Mike). I called Harpers Ferry a couple weeks ago to see if he had passed through, but they had no record of him. Can anyone please inform me if he is still on the trail and his approximate location?"

Nighthawk, had this "Grateful" Mike hiked the AT before, and also the PCT?
If so, I think I could help.

AlbertaHiker23
05-31-2007, 01:42
SOBO, solo, Katahdin on June 6th.

warraghiyagey
05-31-2007, 05:14
Headed to Baxter at noon. Katahdin tomorrow and on to the trail.:) :) :) :)

the Nighthawk
06-01-2007, 19:13
"I also have a question. I started on February 13 from Springer with an amazing guy by the name of "Grateful" (given name Mike). I called Harpers Ferry a couple weeks ago to see if he had passed through, but they had no record of him. Can anyone please inform me if he is still on the trail and his approximate location?"

Nighthawk, had this "Grateful" Mike hiked the AT before, and also the PCT?
If so, I think I could help.

Grateful (Mike) did not hike the PCT I am rather confident, and I know that he hiked small portions of the AT, but not the entire thing. He is a retired Army Chaplain.

knicksin2010
06-02-2007, 12:04
My trail name is clydesdale. I started on springer May 14, 2007 at 7:39 a.m.
I made it to Damascus 6/01/07 at around 8:01. I'm looking to summit on 8/2/07.

VTRoss
06-03-2007, 10:40
Sobo - will arrive at AT Lodge on 6/24 and hit Katahdin Stream Campground on the 25th and 26th. That's about as far ahead as I've planned. Will travel at a steady moderate pace and if all goes well will finish early December.
No trail name yet. For now, I'm "Sheri" or "VT" Ross

Dholmblad
06-07-2007, 18:11
Dont know how many 07ers get on here regularly. My tail name is Middie and I am just letting you all know I am taking some time off. Last few days before Daleville/Troutedale were a bit painful. I took off on the 29th? I will return and will be jumping ahead to northern va because it is easier to access from my home. I will pick up that section when I get off school next summer(Ill walk home from Radford).

knicksin2010
06-08-2007, 17:09
John

Best wishes. I hope everything is going well. Looking forward to hearing you.

Love

Dad

mweinstone
06-08-2007, 18:19
im regestered as an idiot.

ben t
06-10-2007, 23:36
We started the approach trail on April 30th with the names Ben and Lauren, but now go by Stitch and Figgy.

This weekend we're taking a couple zeros in Pearisburg / Blacksburg with friends from Virginia Tech and will be back on the trail on Tuesday June 12th.

Our trip journal is here: BLTadventure.blogspot.com (http://bltadventure.blogspot.com)
Our trip photos are here: flickr.com/photos/studiofluid (http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiofluid/sets/72157600041111612/)

Drooldog
06-11-2007, 00:24
Hiking southbound June 14th. Have a site at Katahdin stream campground the 14th. and 15th. Hope to see all of you soon.

Drool:p

puzzler860
06-13-2007, 22:04
I am looking to start hiking Southbound between July 11-17, is anybody interested?

cyou299
06-13-2007, 23:28
Starting from Springer Friday or Sat, Jun15-16, hoping to clear the Smokies before summer classes. Took a package to Walesi Yi today and a practice run up Blood Mt. Got accosted by a baby bobcat, ran right up to me before it noticed I was there. Never saw but worried about the mother being nearby. But how cool was that? May try the trail name catmandoo. Maybe not.

Tennessee Jed '07
06-23-2007, 21:02
Well, i'm just now getting on this thing but I'm tennessee jed and am heading north. started april second and am Bear's Den on the 23rd of June. Heading into Harper's Ferry tomorrow. Holla! Happy Trails.

winterbrew
06-24-2007, 19:53
Leaving tomorrow, June 25th on a flip flop thru starting off NOBO from North Adams, MA. Good luck all, hope to meet some of you out there.