PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Tru-Hikers registry

Pages : [1] 2

KRYSS1022
06-16-2006, 12:35
You can post your information here for others to view. So we all know who is hiking when and when we would be ableto meet up with the people webecame friendly with.

start date(month and day if known)/starting location/Northbound or southbound/ Expected miles per day
*any additional info is always welcome

KRYSS1022
06-16-2006, 12:37
Solo hiker starting March 1st/Springer Georgia/Northbound thru-hike/between 12 and 20miles a day

maxNcathy
06-16-2006, 17:38
Sandalwood, here heading north about March 15th.

I am keeping in mind that if 20 hikers are with me on Spring a grand total of 2 hikers on average will make it to Katahdin the same year.
So the starting gate is NO place to get my nose up in the air about myself as a thruhiker.

mister pooh
06-17-2006, 19:39
Mister Pooh here. Solo hiker, leaving Springer NOBO the week of 24-28 March (haven't figured out details yet).

I would like to finish sometime in September, so I'm not looking at heavy miles, especially at the start. I think my middle aged butt has a good chance of making it, but we'll see. I'll definitely give it my best!

Buckles
06-17-2006, 23:18
Solo/March 15/Springer, no approach trail/Northbound, duh/As many miles as a feel like each day (but I usually do 15/day in north GA)

Is it March 15, yet? :banana

squivens
06-17-2006, 23:47
I have no name yet, figured I'd get named on the trail ... moved my start date up to march 13th. Thats the plan anyway, we'll see how the money situation is. going solo NOBO. Basically just winging it. Can't wait to see everybody out there.

WhoAh
06-17-2006, 23:51
Solo, NOBO, not doing approach trail (done that, got the T-shirt, ain't gonna do it again....), leaving Springer sometime between March 17th - 24th

Phreak
06-18-2006, 00:46
Solo (A friend of mine is planning on hiking with me but I'm not sure of his of dedication yet), SOBO, starting on July 4th, 2007. Planning on covering 150 miles per week (25 miles per day with one easy day per week).

Peaches
06-18-2006, 02:16
I Will Be Starting Around Mid-april Heading Nobo. I Am Currently Studying The Hiker And Guide Info And Tips On This Great Site And Preparing Mail Drops And Saving Money. When Spring Semester Is Over, I'll Be Headed To North Georgia To Start And Hopefully Pursue A Dream. Hope To See You All There!!!!

K0OPG
06-18-2006, 08:46
:banana Starting approx. 15 march, flip-flop, hf south then hf north. this works for me due to son's graduation end of may.

I'll meet y'all on the way down and then join you going north again.

good luck to all.

SURVIVOR
06-19-2006, 15:46
Hi everybody, I am a solo starting on March 6, my 43rd bday. Going nobo. This is my first try so I am going slow and easy to start. Hope to see you all on the trail for this great adventure!

corentin
06-19-2006, 16:39
Hiking with my sister (unless one of us cops out, then it will be a solo)/leaving about April 1/approach trail/NOBO/slow start and will speed up hopefully when we get our trail legs.

doobe01
06-19-2006, 17:06
Solo starting on March 9th on the Springer Approach Trail/NOBO/My miles a day will depend on how I feel etc...

Hope to see you all out there.

maxNcathy
06-19-2006, 17:29
Looks like Mon., March 19th for me if things go as planned.
Sandalwood

Flash Hand
06-20-2006, 01:31
GA - Partnership Shelter, VA - 523 miles in 2004
GA - Rock Gap, Franklin NC & Hot Spring - Shenandoah National Park 760 miles in 2005

Am trying again as a Thru-hiker for estimate date, March 12 from Amicalola Falls State Park.

Flash Hand :jump

ridefast
06-20-2006, 11:04
Im 22 (23 when i start)/solo/NOBO/20+ per day/no trailname yet/will not be doing approach/ March 12 start date?

Michele
06-20-2006, 12:35
--NOBO
--Solo
--March 15 (hopefully w/my new friend Buckles for a few days until he outruns me!! :D )
--No approach if I have that option
--Hmmm...# of miles? 35 per day at first, then 50 per day after first week.....NOT :eek:
How about around 8 per day to start, and only my body will tell me after that
--I'll be turning 34 on the trail, and I wish someone would give me some coma-inducing medication so that I could just sleep until March!!
--No trail name yet, wanting to earn it on the trail so I can tattoo it on my body afterwards (that is not a joke actually)

Mountain Man
06-20-2006, 19:09
Starting March 17th from Amicalola and heading up to the Len Foote Hike Inn for the night. On to the AT the next morning. A friend is also attempting the whole trail with me. As for as daily miles, who knows? Probably just go from shelter to shelter sometimes and just stop when I feel like stopping sometimes. Hope to see all of yall out there.
I've noticed several from Georgia and around the Southeast going in 2007, and if any of yall want to get together and do some day hikes, backpacking trips, or just get together over supper and talk trail sometime this year just let me know. Good Luck and I hope you all fulfill your dream.

mtnbums2000
06-21-2006, 15:03
shooting for the 23rd or 24th of april heading NOBO with my son. we are flying out after his 14th birthday which is on the 21st of april.

we plan on starting out doing 13-17 miles per day.

momalley
06-21-2006, 15:28
Solo going North starting sometime around March 1st and I will be hiking between 15 and 20 miles a day. I can't wait to get out and meet you all.

Matt

HapKiDo
06-25-2006, 00:00
Start Date (my Dad's 84th birthday) March 18, 2007, from Springer Mountain, about midafternoon.

With a hiking partner.

We plan to hike by "hours hiked" not by mileage. We're unorthodox in our view of a Thru Hike because a mile on the AT is not like any other mile on the AT. We plan to start out 6 to 7 hours of hiking a day (after the first day) and add a half hour or an hour each week until we're hiking about 10 to 12 hours a day.

We plan to take "dinner/boots off/siesta" breaks in the 'middle' of the day and then continue for the remainder of our hiking hours. This will give our bodies time to recuperate from hiking each day. And on sunny hot days, we can do our laundry and it'll be dry when we return to our hike after our siesta.

We are both retired, so we really don't have an "end" date, but I think it will be before the end of September. Could be the end of August. We won't spend time or much money in trail towns because we don't plan to do "mega-mile" days. We'll have built up our bodies gradually by adding hours rather than miles. And the hours will make the miles.

We will be using one mail drop a month in order to get our prescription medications, vitamins and supplements.

Our Trail Names:
HapKiDo Coosa and Screaming Mimi

HapKiDo
A mile on the AT is not like any other mile on the AT.

maxNcathy
06-25-2006, 12:12
Hi HapKiDo, I will be behind you two a few hours so I will be see ing you probably.Keep well, Sandalwood.
PS happy retirement!

Touch of Grey
06-25-2006, 12:25
Mid-March sometime...NOBO...slow to start and as much or as little as my legs and back will take me. Want to be done in ME by my wifes birthday in September but we'll just have to wait and see if it works that way. Dialing in my eqipment now so I'll be ready to go next year.

I retired last January after 30 years of being in the same place. It's my time now so no hurry!

TOG:sun

Pacific Tortuga
06-25-2006, 18:50
I thought I'd be out on the AT a few years ago but a quad by-pass was needed in Sept.04 so it all went on the back burner. My start date is mid to late March and I expect to take a full 6 months. I want to see the places in history that made up the character of the United States and hike. The details will fall into place and this will be the greatest adventure/gift of my life, to myself. There is a copious amount of information available and I appriciate it all, White Blazes is the last word on preparation to hike any part of the Appalacian Trail. I'd like to thank all members who take the time to help others and over look or call me on it, when
I'm full of crap, it is from the heart and I hope to meet many of you next year, in 2007.

karo
06-26-2006, 01:59
I hope to be on the trail northbound by late March. I might have a hiking partner, not sure yet. I will try to get in better shape and be ready for 8-10 mile days. We'll see, LOL!:sun

Ewker
06-26-2006, 10:27
congrats karo

jlb2012
06-26-2006, 11:22
dang karo, good luck to you

karo
06-26-2006, 20:55
Thanks, Ewker and HOI. I need all the support I can get. Our plant should be in shutdown for 12-18 months to changeover to a new product. If I don't take the oppurtunity now I may never get to. I do have a lot of commitments that have to be handled first like my kids college and us another house. I hope to have my house up for sale in a few weeks. They are selling like hotcakes around here and with Nissan building its headquarters in Franklin its just going to grow even more. I have most of the gear I would need and would probably use one of my alcohol stoves to cook with. I may need better clothes for an early spring trip. I hope to post a gear list soon.

squivens
06-27-2006, 15:26
well ... my start date has been pushed up once again. My new start date is looking like March 1st now. I need to make it to Harpers Ferry by May 11th for my best friends wedding and then I'll hit the trail again after that the rest of the way up to Maine.

eyewall
06-29-2006, 22:26
I'll give it a shot...probably in early March. No plans...no food drops, no mail drops. Just head north at a leisurely pace. I don't have to be anywhere special, except the trail :)

VictoriaM
07-03-2006, 19:25
Hi all! I'll be heading north sometime in early March, at a somewhat leisurely pace. I need to be done by the end of September for school. Other than that, I haven't made many decisons yet.

Smacky70
07-03-2006, 23:58
Solo hiker from Australia, starting March 15th NOBO
thru-hike, miles per day.. ermm *converts from kilometers* erm 15 to 20 sounds good.

Just got all the books that I ordered online from the states, doing lots of reading, I'm pumped. (to bad it's still 9 months away)

Trail name.. well, still thinking of it.

G.H.O.S.T.
07-04-2006, 15:00
Solo NOBO between dec. 28th and Jan 1st. I'm going to hike the approach the day before and sleep at spring mt. shelter. Doing between 18 and 25+ miles a day. I have to finish by June 15 so I can get married on July 7th plus i enjoy hiking big milage

the_iceman
07-04-2006, 16:50
May wind up as a solo. Trying to cash in and move south. If I have down time before restarting my life I may get a February start. The weather patterns and life will decide. Do not want to really go days without seeing anyone but do not want to fight just to find for a place to sleep either. The first week of March is rumored to be like going through airport security -- long lines at the gates.

capn mark
07-04-2006, 17:55
Solo, looking to start mid-late Feb. College buddy is getting married 11 AUG so I can't wait much longer to leave. No idea about how many miles I can do yet, but hope to finish within about 5 months. duh, I guess you can look at the dates and figure that out. :)

mike!
07-05-2006, 03:20
Solo... or maybe with 2 other friends (however thier spending habbits dont seem to convince me they are saving very hard..) Heading northbound, i'd like to leave sometime in April, or a little earlier. I'm going to start off leasurly, and gradually pick up the pace, im putting a cap on myself to no more then 25 miles ever. when i finished the LT in 14 days, i told myself, next time i need to simmer down a little bit (i missed to many swimming oppurtinities). as you can see, i've got no firm plans, but i like to save my AT hike planning for boring school classes :D. Can't wait to meet you guys out there!
mike! (no trailname yet, but havent been out on the trail long enough!)

p.s. kla;jdflkjahdflkjadhflkjadf = mikey's excited!

Smacky70
07-05-2006, 05:08
p.s. kla;jdflkjahdflkjadhflkjadf = mikey's excited!

heh, I'm with you there Mike. I spend atleast 1 hour of work everday thinking about what it's going to be like on the trail. mmm I hope my boss won't read this :P

mindi
07-05-2006, 11:44
Starting March 10 NOBO, no approach trail. Probably will do fairly low miles at the beginning. I don't have a trail name yet..hoping to earn one on the trail!
:) Mindi

BigBambu
07-06-2006, 02:57
A partner and I are starting sometime in early to mid march at Springer Mountain, GA.

Michele
07-06-2006, 09:58
heh, I'm with you there Mike. I spend atleast 1 hour of work everday thinking about what it's going to be like on the trail. mmm I hope my boss won't read this :P

You spend ONLY 1 hour of your workday thinking about it? :D
Can't wait to see everyone out there!!!!!

Stonewall
07-06-2006, 15:51
Hey everyone,
I am planning a Feb 1st (no later than Feb 26 if the 1st falls through) solo Northbound starting in Springer, GA. I haven't decided whether I am going to do the approach. I'm planning on hiking 10 to 20 miles a day. Obviously slower on the get go. I would like to get back in early August, since I will be headed up to the Rocky Mountains the first week in Sept. If anyone in the area of Bucks County, PA (or anywhere else) wants to meet up to do some hiking prior just drop me a line [email protected]. Also if anyone is looking for a partner, I’m flexible :)

Steve

roxy33x
07-06-2006, 17:12
I plan on starting out sometime in March with my husband. (Im 23 and he is 25) Our Anniversary is March 8th, so it will probably be March 11th. We will be starting out on the Springer Approach trail going NOBO. No trail names yet, they will happen on the trail.. and no clue how much milage cause we have never long distanced hiked before... guessing to start off at about 8. Whooo hoooo! It cant get here soon enough.

We live in Charlotte NC, so if any 07 hikers wanna get together and do a day hike, or just talk trail let us know. We are planing a week long section hike in September, not sure where yet... See ya all out there!!

Spock
07-10-2006, 14:23
Aiming for April 1, NOBO. Self-supported - no mail. No plans. I don't do plans. Maybe approach trail, maybe not (see plans). Outfitted DIY. UL.

Blissful
07-10-2006, 21:33
:sun
Blissful, Paul Bunyan (thru-hiking) and Skipper (section hiking)
Start Date: March 1st
NOBO
Start: Approach trail to Springer then all the way to Maine
10-12 mile average to start

See ya there!!!!

mtnbums2000
07-12-2006, 00:56
shooting for the 23rd or 24th of april heading NOBO with my son. we are flying out after his 14th birthday which is on the 21st of april.

we plan on starting out doing 13-17 miles per day.

Plan has changed we are now shooting for the middle of April...it will probably change again to the first of April if I have it my way. But we can't go any earlier than the first of April. Tyler has a big snowboarding competition the first week in April. My family(Tracy,Courtney,Tyler) and I are hiking the JMT leaving out on the 4th of August.

If interested you can follow our journey here:
www.trailjournals.com/mtnbums

AT2007
07-12-2006, 15:04
If Nobo then March 1st, if Sobo then June1st, haven't decided which way I want to go, hope to see y ou there.

jerseyjewl
07-12-2006, 20:26
My fiance and I (25yrs old) are starting 3/15/07 NOBO 10-15 miles a day..or we'll see how it goes!
Super Excited to meet all of you along the way!!!

Wohelo
07-12-2006, 21:06
Right now the plan is to leave at the end of April or possibly the first week of May from Springer. I really hate the cold, so I am willing to put up with the heat later on through the midatlantic states. I know all about the time constraints too, but worst case scenario is that I flip-flop or finish the rest of the trail next year.

I look forward to seeing the flowers budding in GA and TN. I'm hoping to average around 15 miles per day, but I want to enjoy the experience and not feel rushed. My best friend in the world is pondering the idea of coming with me, but she has a full life and I'm not sure that it will work out. I am prepared to go alone. I hope I won't have missed everyone out there by that time though. Anybody else planning a later start?

-Jennifer

MrHappy
07-16-2006, 03:14
Mr. Happy here (or more recently, signor felice). I'll be starting NOBO on January 1st, hopefully to finish in early June, before the black flies descend upon Maine.

barefootqt
07-17-2006, 16:51
NOBO leaving Springer between 1 MAR and 10 MAR, haven't quite decided that part yet. See yall there....

Mysti

kritter
07-17-2006, 21:06
Hi, I'm Kristen. I'm planning on starting the trail in mid June(as soon as my school lets out) and walking south. It looks like I'm hiking solo which will be the only hard part. My best days are 20-ish miles but usually 15 or so.

I'm praying I meet up with some other southbounders who hike around the same speed so I can make friends. I dont do well alone for too long! Anyone going to be around there the same time as me?

maxNcathy
07-18-2006, 14:26
Hi Kritter, You will have a flock of guys hanging with you so bring a fly swatter!
Have a super hike,
Sandalwood
I will be nobo in March.

tevaitzi
07-18-2006, 22:05
Solo NOBO leaving mid-April '07. Possibly earlier if I'm prepared and restless. Aiming for 15-20 mile days. Stopping for resupply every 2 weeks (approx. 150 miles). Definitely doing Approach. See ya out there!

strebor
07-18-2006, 22:15
early march, headin nobo appx 10 miles a day to start.,

Turbo Joe
07-18-2006, 23:42
plan on starting approach after st paddys day funds pending... nobo of course ... i attempted a thru in 05 but only made it past duncannon PA don't know my expected mileage cause ill be taking my puppy molly malone with me. PS if my friend loses a bet we made this year we will have a keg of guiness waiting on top of springer when i get there. gl all

frieden
07-19-2006, 09:15
plan on starting approach after st paddys day funds pending... nobo of course ... i attempted a thru in 05 but only made it past duncannon PA don't know my expected mileage cause ill be taking my puppy molly malone with me. PS if my friend loses a bet we made this year we will have a keg of guiness waiting on top of springer when i get there. gl all

Guiness? Let me know if they lose! :D

What kind of puppy do you have? Join in on the Class of 2007 Hiking Dogs thread, but be careful. It's pretty rocky in there. Let us know about your partial thru. Hope to see you guys out there!

Daddy Longlegs
07-19-2006, 21:23
At this moment in time and space it looks like I will be joining the class 2007! It has been on my list for a number of years with my wife telling me that I could hike the AT when things worked out right. Well I guess things have worked out right cause last weekend she said to start planning, saving, ebaying more, and tax return will equal thru in the spring. So right now I am on board unless something happens between now and then! I plan to start and the end of March or the first of April. :banana

Jolly Swagman
07-19-2006, 22:16
:welcome G'day from Oz,
Will be arriving at/near Springer early March 07 & departing a week or two later;
Hope to be taking a compact but very serious video system (or at least my bank thinks its serious); I'll tell you about my plans to charge the battery in the wild when you need a good laugh-Now where's the bloody instruction book for this thing? In meliora contende, Col (Sydney, Oz),
p.s. There's a least 2,000 stories on an AT thru hike, I'll be happy if I can get 1% but they've gotta be ....Ah, ..you tell me..(email me directly).

Imayroam
07-22-2006, 17:17
Hi, I'll be starting somewhere around April 1st, give or take a day or so. I'm 20 years old, and I'm going to try to hike the trail in 105 days, but I think my real goal will just be to spend the entire time on the trail and to enjoy it. My best friend from high schol will also be hiking it, but he's leaving early March, and my plan is to catch up with him. We'll see how it goes. Good Luck everyone.

obiewan
07-22-2006, 22:42
Solo NOBO, name is Blaine, Trail name is obiewan, going to start sometime between 16 March (my 53rd b'day), and 1 April. Looking for anybody else going that way, at that time. Can't wait for March. See everybody out there. Gonna have some friends meet me in Maine at the end with my motorcycle and we are gonna ride back. Ohh-Rah Marine Corps

Rockman1
07-29-2006, 15:49
- NOBO
- Solo
- Targeting 2nd week of March
- No particular goals on daily mileage; probably dictated by weather and / or
where I choose to spend the night (or avoid spending the night?)
- My first big escape to the outdoors following retirement
- Although I will be hiking solo I look forward to the occasional cameraderie on
the trail. Should be a great adventure! See you there! Rockman

roxy33x
07-30-2006, 15:26
Well, It looks like my husband and I are not going to make it out on the trail until 08. We are very upset but the finances arent looking pretty... we will be out for a few section hikes next season to visit you all though!!

EZ4300
07-30-2006, 16:25
March 3 i hope, if thats not possible then no later than the 10th. Starting in Springer, NoBo. Miles per day = ??
Looking forward to getting a trail name on the trail. Can't wait to see ya'll out there!! :D
its coming up so fast!! :banana :banana

tmeinberg
07-31-2006, 14:45
my wife and i are planning on mid march with our dog, georgia northbound to maine. 10 - 20 miles per day.

blake
08-06-2006, 00:44
-1st week of July
-Leaving from Maine
-Southbound
-Expected miles per day: no idea.
-Me and my best friend don't have much hiking experience, and we feel it's important not to rush. We're giving ourselves about 7 months to complete the hike before taking a trip around the world before going back to school to pursue a PhD.

Grizz
08-07-2006, 19:32
Tentative start date will be 16th/17th of March Doing NOBO, will experience the approach and head on up Springer, returning to homestate. Unsure of milage but will probably start out around 10-15 then go from there once the rubber legs stiffin up a bit..lol Hope to join up with some of you on trail and form some rememberable friendships.SOOOO, looking forward to this experience. Best to all....in the coming season

vaporjourney
08-10-2006, 21:03
Will be starting nobo on April Fool's Day at the Approach Trail. I was planning a solo trip all along, but now it looks like my friend Steve may possibly be joining me. Not sure if I want a partner or not though. Either way, I WILL be there to kick off April.

karo
08-10-2006, 23:43
I may have to change my plans for a Thru-Hike. We are scheduled to shutdown our plant on March 31, 2007. I will become a grandfather about the same time. I found out last week. Due date March 23. I may be able to at least section hike. I haven't given up all plans yet, but if we are down till late 2008, maybe I can start then. Good news, but what a bummer.

spandau
08-11-2006, 00:12
- I hope to be leaving Springer NOBO sometime between mid- to late March. - Haven't decided about the approach trail yet.
- I will take it easy on mileage until my body adjusts to the trail's conditions. Besides, it's not a race, and I want to enjoy the entire experience. I'm already far too competitive in everyday life.
- I will start as a solo hiker.
Good luck and good hiking to everyone else undertaking this adventure.

spandau

norfamericana
08-11-2006, 00:41
cant do the whole thru but ::

solo, 24 M, starting at springer at end of feb, going as far as harrisburg area for my sisters grad, not sure where my distance will fall, guess ill find out one way or another

Biloxi
08-11-2006, 08:38
planning a 3/1/08 start, hopeing to do a yo-yo..springer to katahdin to springer b4 12/20/08..well thats the plan.. still in planning stage.hope to meet lots of ya'll out there.

DeepDish
08-12-2006, 20:06
Hey all,

Nobo hiker, starting sometime around march 1st, depending on the weather. Hoping for a 5-6 month thru-hike so I can start school/work in September (I'm supposed to figure that out on this hike :confused: ). Hoping for someone to gimme a name on the trail. We'll see.

Peace,

D

tomman
08-13-2006, 21:39
I hope to start the trail on the 10th of March. I have not decided about the approach trail yet but will more than likely hike it. I will be starting out very slow and more interested in the hours per day instead of the miles at the start. I feel once I get me trail legs I can start trying for longer mile days.

I will be 71 at the start and hope to finish on my 72nd birthday on Sept. 17th six month later.

Stonewall
08-17-2006, 11:00
*Sigh**cry* i'm going kicking and screaming I no longer can go when I plan which is in Feb. Unfortuantly reality set in and I will not be financialy prepaired. ARG........... Well i am going to shoot for June on a SOBO but at this point its is only tenative. :datz#$% &*%# $#@$^% *sigh*

starryliza
08-17-2006, 11:04
Going Northbound sometime in Mid-March. Taking lots of pictures, enjoying nature, probably not going very fast. Looking for some other young people at least to start out with.
Liza

Biloxi
08-17-2006, 15:20
earlier I had posted a thru hike plan for 3/1/08..it is not 08..it is 3/1/07 sorry

WhoAh
08-17-2006, 22:27
earlier I had posted a thru hike plan for 3/1/08..it is not 08..it is 3/1/07 sorry

Well then, DonJuan70 - welcome to the Class of '07!!

Uncle Buck
08-18-2006, 11:15
Starting NB March 17th. To fullfill my dream of doing a Thru and in memory of my nephew Eric who died March 17, 2006 of Leukemia and never had the chance to live out his dream of hiking the AT.

Also will be a fundraiser (here at home ONLY) for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society.

Planned hike of 188 days, so I have plenty of time to smell the roses.

Eric called me Uncle Buck, thus the trailname.:D

Have an employer (family business) who will keep the $ flowing in while I hike, a wife who understands and the desire so..............SEE YOU ON KATAHDIN!!!

Blissful
08-18-2006, 13:19
Starting NB March 17th. To fullfill my dream of doing a Thru and in memory of my nephew Eric who died March 17, 2006 of Leukemia and never had the chance to live out his dream of hiking the AT.

Also will be a fundraiser (here at home ONLY) for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society.

Thanks for sharing. I would do one for the cancer society against colon cancer. My dad is a survivor, my grandfather died of it, and I just had a polyp (pre cancerous) removed.

nano
08-18-2006, 20:18
My name is Michael, trail name Nano, and I hope to start around mid-late march 07. I have never been to the East Coast (except when going overseas and i have a connecting flight) and I think this'll be a great way to experience it. I hope my buddy starvin puck can join me, if not I hope to find some good people out there. See you all next year!!!!:jump

Peekay702
08-18-2006, 20:35
Starting on my birthday, April 1st/NOBO/Springer 15 to 20 give or take

KRYSS1022
08-20-2006, 10:57
Hey everybody,

I actually started this thread and unfortunatly it doesnt look like it is going to happen anymore. I lost my job and the new one i just got doesnt pay nearly enough....**sigh**..Im not going to have enough saved up to cover anything when i was going to leave. : ( I guess i'll be meeting up with any 2008 hikers.

Jack Tarlin
08-20-2006, 11:08
Hey Kryss, don't give up.....it's a long time til March/April, so you've plenty of time to save. Or if you go Southbound, you have til next June to save up.

Some other ideas:

*Start a separate bank account that is ONLY for your trip. Take NOTHING
out of it unless it involves your hike
*Try and find a part-time job at an outfitter's. It's a tremendous way to
save on gear, plus you'll learn all sorts of useful stuff
*Some of your gear (like your stove, for example) can be homemade on the
cheap
*E-Bay is a good place to shop for gear
*There's an excellent article by Weathercarrot in the "Artcles" section of
Whiteblaze that deals specifically with hiking on a budget; lots of good
ideas there.

Good luck!

roxy33x
08-20-2006, 15:39
Hey everybody,

I actually started this thread and unfortunatly it doesnt look like it is going to happen anymore. I lost my job and the new one i just got doesnt pay nearly enough....**sigh**..Im not going to have enough saved up to cover anything when i was going to leave. : ( I guess i'll be meeting up with any 2008 hikers.

its ok... I was all ready to go 07 as well and the funds just didnt work out. Ill be seeing you in 08!! Just more time to gear up and do practice runs!

tomman
08-20-2006, 21:55
I plan to start on 10 March 2007 NOBO. I will be 71 years old at the start and I hope to finish on my birthday on September 17th. While I am working out and trying to get into good shape I still plan to start fairly slow. I will listen to my body and stop when it says its had enough for the day.

I look forward to meeting many of you out on the trail. Just wave and say hello as you pass me.

I am still trying to get my pack weight down as far as possible. Still at my age there are certain comforts that I need.

See you out there,
Cherokee Tom

WhoAh
08-21-2006, 23:27
I knocked on my director's door and politely informed him that I would be leaving the end of the year.... and that I was going to do a little hiking next year.... he just shook his head.... hopefully my badge will still work in the morning...

*whew*... one more thing to check off the list....

billman
08-22-2006, 10:53
Hi, All. I am having trouble waiting to start my hike. I've decided to begin November 1st and spend 8 to 10 months on the trail. I plan to have a lot of low mileage days and spending lots of time exploring the towns and sites that interest me along the way. Of all the thru hikers I've talked to, everyone says their only regret was not taking more time. So, I am going to listen to their advice and check it all out!

Three years ago I spent a month in Yellowstone in February, so I'm used to snow camping and extremely cold weather. I also prefer snow and cold to rain and bugs. My only concern is making sure I take enough time so I don't have to endure the black fly hatch in the northeast.

I expect it to be a lonely hike, so I was wondering if there are any other like minded hikers who are planning a similar journey. It would be nice to see someone on the trail once in a while.

Also, I am not sure if this makes me class of 2006 or 2007. What do y'all think?

Good luck to all.

Billman aka The Grimace

billman
08-22-2006, 12:01
Leaving October 1st to 15th depending on job. Heading north from Springer. Taking it slow and easy. Budgeting extra money to see sites and wait out crummy weather. Doing a winter hike because I prefer snow and cold to rain and bugs! Good luck to all.

Blissful
08-22-2006, 19:39
I knocked on my director's door and politely informed him that I would be leaving the end of the year.... and that I was going to do a little hiking next year.... he just shook his head.... hopefully my badge will still work in the morning...

*whew*... one more thing to check off the list....

Telling your employer has got to be the hardest thing as prep before a thru, unless of course you are between jobs or quitting. I had to tell my book editors about it, then the book editors switched and I had to tell the new one. Several anxious days went by, I must say. Then I got an e-mail from her - "Okay, we'll work around your schedule."

A big whew!

roxy33x
08-23-2006, 07:47
I would have had to quit my job in order to go, with nothing waiting for me when I got back, i decided i was ok with that. Then, right when i was going to tell them, I rebudgeted and it looked like I would have to go into debt to finish the trail, and then my job offered me a promotion.

So.... My husband and I decided to go in 08 and save up a little nest egg for when we get back from the trail as opposed to the opposite

Michele
08-23-2006, 08:18
Well I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to tell my boss before or after Christmas. I'm leaning towards when we're all back at work after the holidays. My last day is Feb. 28, and that will give her 2 months to find someone else, which is how long it took her to find me when the last person in my position quit.

Even though my job is a "temp" job (with only a 1 year guarantee...taking me to May of next year if I wanted), I still get butterflies in my stomach, because decisions are being made right now by her with the assumption that I'm going to be around. I've got a unique set of skills that she's able to access and it's probable that she won't be able to find someone else w/my combination of skils, but oh well.......... everyone is replaceable, and that definitely includes me!! :D I think quitting a job is definitely one of the harder steps, because it means letting go of that financial security that seems to be so hard to find thes days. It's all good...if I end up homeless after this ordeal, at least I'll still have my household on my back!! :banana

ramblinbob
08-23-2006, 12:38
Heading south from Maine around June 10th. Hope to pass all you NOBO's somewhere along the way - I'll be the Scotsman with the mad eyes. Good luck to all.

Blissful
08-23-2006, 14:10
I would have had to quit my job in order to go, with nothing waiting for me when I got back, i decided i was ok with that. Then, right when i was going to tell them, I rebudgeted and it looked like I would have to go into debt to finish the trail, and then my job offered me a promotion.

So.... My husband and I decided to go in 08 and save up a little nest egg for when we get back from the trail as opposed to the opposite

Hey Roxy, there's a 2008 thread starting up!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=234487#post234487

mweinstone
08-23-2006, 19:26
my usuall method. craigs list for a ride to ammacalola and a night in the shelter at the visiters center on the 17th. wake and bake and split north on the 18th ,..sunday morning.walk 12's and 15's for a while and get my legs for the smokeys. switch my bag to a lighter one at damascus and fly.im lookin to do under 5 months.4 if i could. that would be a dream. but i think i finnaly learned how to slow down and avoid injurys witch result in zeros and slow o's .to the class!

Rockman1
08-24-2006, 16:53
Matthewski (or somebody else?). Forgive my ignorance but what is "Craig's list"? I'm still figuring out my travel logistics for getting to the trailhead. Thanks!!!

Biloxi
08-24-2006, 17:46
I have another question...are most of the hostels and stores ans such open year round along the A.T ?

mweinstone
08-24-2006, 18:14
its a site where people find rides and apartments. im not sure if your pointing out a spelling mistake or asking what craigs list is cause its as big as google around here.

Rockman1
08-24-2006, 18:50
Thanks for the info on craigs list. I'm not concerned with spelling - just trying to figure out my options.

Biloxi
08-24-2006, 18:56
didnt someone say they were leaving springer in october? who was that?

rockrat
08-28-2006, 13:07
I'll be leaving February 27 or 28
NoBo
Solo
I'll just have turned 18
My trail name is Iceman Dan

Dawn
08-28-2006, 16:15
I plan to start on March 17th headed NOBO. I will be turning 50 in February so this is a present to myself.
I will likely start out with 8-10 miles per day and go up from there. I will be doing it solo, although a friend is planning to do the first few days with me. I have a couple of other friends who plan to join for a few days here and there. I will be taking a leave of absence so I won't be quitting my job.

Here is a pdf for information on shuttles:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/ATshuttleWEB_July%2025_2006.pdf

So if that keg of Guinness is going to show up on the 18th...:-? hmmm...let me know. I might have to reconsider my start date! :)

Jub
08-30-2006, 10:14
Hi all. My name is Jub and I'm a 28 year old boy from London UK. Will be travelling north solo.
Just found out about the AT yesterday and am very excited by the prospect. Have a lot to think about and finalise but tentative plan is to leave work mid April, head out to the US (if Visa etc all goes through) and start at the beginning of April. Not massively fit but used to day hikes and the odd trip away camping so looking at 20-30 miles a day. Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Bravo
08-30-2006, 23:22

Seeing you're a beer drinker do I dare ask how you made it past Duncannon? I hiked the PA section in 2000. I have some fond memories of that town.

'07 Thru Hike- Artists fromerly known as Michael and Beth(trail names to be received by the mother AT herself) Northbound April 1-15 not sure? Just made the decision last week. I Love this Forum. We're looking forward to seeing you all. Look for us. We'll be the ones with the backpacks!

Toasty
09-07-2006, 13:56
Retiring in February 2007. Celebrating 40th wedding anniversay on March 4. Walking GA to ME, beginning on March 12 or 13. Will be following conventional wisdom -- starting with lower mileage days until I develop "mountain legs". Very happy to be part of the class of 2007. Hope to see you on the trail.

Buckles
09-12-2006, 01:39
I will only take Carlton Blues apparel in trade for food, directions, Appalachian language translation or anything else desired by foreigners from Down Under. No exceptions. Just something for you to think about. :-)

K-Man
09-12-2006, 15:58
Hey there fellow 07'ers. I am going to start at Springer on March 19th. There's a new moon that night which is a good starting time for this new chapter of my life. Will probably do the approach trail on the 18th.

I'm in no particular rush to make it Katahdin! I want to stay out as long as I can so that I can experience all four seasons on the trail. I'm starting solo, but it looks like there's a lot of us starting around this time, so I am sure we will all become friends. Only 188 more days...

Mike & Gloria Walsh
09-12-2006, 16:22
We are not on the registry for some reason. We are registered on Trailjournals.com as Toesocks and plan to thru hike in Feb, 2007. We are a married couple, age 61, and live in Auburn, AL. We are skipping the approach trail to Springer, having hiked it several times in the past 20 years, most recently in June, 2006.:sun

bluelight
09-14-2006, 10:20
I am retiring Monday, Sept. 18th, after 30 years in law enforcement. I plan on heading NOBO on Feb. 27th or 28 from Springer Mountain and have given myself seven months to complete my journey. I am going to take my time, take lots of pictures, stop and smell the flowers, enjoy the views and hopefully make many new friends. Best wishes to the Class of 07. See you on the trail.

Mike & Gloria Walsh
09-14-2006, 12:22
Hey Bluelight, we may on the trail together.We plan to start in Feb 2007 also nobo. We are retired and just want to finish before they close the summit. We can hardly wait.

Hammock Hanger
09-16-2006, 18:16
Looks like I will be joining the ranks of the 2007 Class.

Hammock Hanger - Sue Turner
Age 50
March 17th!!
Nobo
approx 12+ (whatever I feel like)

doing the approach trail this time around.

deadair
09-18-2006, 22:34
hey everyone!! im planning on heading out for my NOBO around mid march, just need to get a few more gear items and get my butt in a little better shape and im all set, well except for that pesky budget thing ;)

Hammock Hanger
09-18-2006, 22:38
hey everyone!! im planning on heading out for my NOBO around mid march, just need to get a few more gear items and get my butt in a little better shape and im all set, well except for that pesky budget thing ;)

See ya out there.

texangie
09-20-2006, 01:17
starting sometime late march to April 1
doing the approach trail
northbound
low miles at the beginning, progressing to capabilities!
Planning minimal town time
texangie is my starting name, but I'm open to a new and descriptive one, as long as it is not (wait...I almost put something here that I wouldn't like...I can just see somebody remembering it and that becoming the name. Doh!:rolleyes: ) something I don't like.

happy hiking!
:sun :D
texangie

Paws
09-20-2006, 13:35
Hi, my name is Kim (trail name - Paws). I'm my husband's whiteblaze and trailjournals keeper - his typing is slow, I really don't think there is enough hours in a day for him to type a small paragraph, anyways, his name is Brian and he will be hiking solo (unfortunately - one of us has to work) out of Springer doing the approach trail on March 5, 2007 (if I can hold him back that long). We aren't sure about mileage per day, more than likely 12 - 14 miles. I'll be joining him for several section hikes and hope to do some trail magic for all of you along the way. He has a nickname of Speleo (for speleothems, cave formations, he loves to cave) he used Speleo in April 06 for a section hike we did out of Springer but for now he has no true trail name, he wants to be named on the trail. Good luck to all and hope to meet you along the way. Happy Hiking!

Michele
09-20-2006, 15:12
See ya out there.

Did I see you on a HH video on the web from trail days? Doing a very enthusiastic testimonial about how much you love your HH?

jkashley1234
09-20-2006, 15:16
31 yr old grad student/starting june 1 07 for a SOBO hike/I'll have completed my degree in May so my dream of hiking the AT is the next thing on the list. I'm a kayaker, scuba diver, mountian biker, who wants to become a thru-hiker. I'll be solo so if anyone wants to hike with me i'll be glad to have a starting partner. :sun

highway
09-21-2006, 12:52
Starting mid April GAME'7
And I am anxious already!

Hammock Hanger
09-21-2006, 22:19
Did I see you on a HH video on the web from trail days? Doing a very enthusiastic testimonial about how much you love your HH?

That would have been me.:banana

NLena
09-26-2006, 20:38
I'll be starting around April 5, 6, or 7.
Heading to Maine.
Average of 12-13 miles/day.
See you all out there!

bido7614
09-27-2006, 21:29
NOBO
March 10th- would have been the due date of my baby (misscarriage 4 mo along) :(
it like a second second chance though ya know?
I'm going with Amy so how ever many she's doing...
Can't wait... so stoked..
beginer hiker no trail name...

mindi
09-28-2006, 00:45
So sorry for your loss, bido. It sounds like a great way to memorialize the date and start a new chapter in your life.

I was originally planning on starting March 22, my dad's birthday. He died two years ago and he is the reason I became interested in the trail. I moved it up to March 12 but I'm still going to do something special on the trail on that day.

Deadair, I know what you mean by the budget thing! I started out planning to have a certain amount of cash, and the amount keeps shrinking. I'm hoping I can still swing it if I limit town days.

Hope to see you all out there, good luck!

Hammock Hanger
09-28-2006, 07:55
I've edited my start date from April 1st to March 17th.

We have decided that with that early a start date I can leave the AT for one week to finish up my BMT hike in early May. Then I can leave the trail for a 2 week vacation with my husband in July. And should I go all the way, still be able to time the last climb with my husband's 50th b-day in early October.

We will drive up to Amicacola on Friday the 16th. Saturday morning I will head up the Approach Trail. Then my husband will meet me later in the day up near Springer, where we will spend the night. Sunday he will head south and I will head north.

This all sounds so good and well planned. However, after spending numerous summers on the trail finishing my 2000 mile trek to Maine before, I know that there are no set plans on the trail. Schedules go bye bye within the first couple of weeks. So, I'll keep all this in mind and then do what the trail wants me to.

CABBAGE
09-30-2006, 09:04
Restart'n your life?

bido7614
09-30-2006, 15:13
Hey thanks. I am good though.. It's pretty much why i am doing it then and not later... i dont know.. i had wanted to do it before i got pregnant and then when i lost it i decided thats when i would go.
Lissie

Dancer
10-04-2006, 10:55
solo/June 14th/SOBO/ 15 miles per day/33 yr old female finally making my 15 yr old dream come true. See you on the trail.

Dancer
10-09-2006, 09:53
June14th/Maine/SOBO/15 miles per day. Can't wait!

Michele
10-09-2006, 10:21
As luck would have it, this weekend, I met up with two other women who are thru-hiking next year, and they live close by. I told them I was starting March 15, riding the Amtrak down. Well...one of my new friends offered to me that if I wanted to start my hike on March 12 instead of the 15th, I could save the $ of my train ticket ($520.00 big ones!) and just ride down with her and her husband. So, I'm now starting March 12!!!! :banana :D :banana

Got a full refund on my train ticket...man does that help with saving!!

Whoo HOOOOOOOOOO

the_iceman
10-09-2006, 11:53
Was planning on mid February start with my brother but looks like a solo hike now. Wanted to miss the crowds originally but do not want to be solo in February storms. Figured I would go after my daughter’s spring break. Or maybe do the first week with her? Still open. Unsure of the approach trail. Posted the question online as to how many people did it and if that was linked to completion and started a firestorm of controversy.

Plan to carry 30 – 35 lbs with 5 days food and water.

10 miles/day for the first few weeks or how the mood strikes me and how the body holds up. Probably buy most of the food along the way. There seems to be a 50/50 split on that and buying as you go lets you hike without a schedule.

Pack = ULA Catalyst
Bag = REI Sub Kilo +35 (I might be cold to start)
Tent = Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 – planned for two but will enjoy the room.
Pad = Big Agnes Insulated Air Core – kind of a pain to blow up each night – may change that.
Stove = JetBoil – I have used a lot of stoves and this is great.

Top 3 weigh in at 8.2 pounds – not ultra light but not bad – to me comfort counts and it is a lot better that the 50 pounds I carried for years.

Trail name Iceman

Blissful
10-09-2006, 12:13
As luck would have it, this weekend, I met up with two other women who are thru-hiking next year, and they live close by. I told them I was starting March 15, riding the Amtrak down. Well...one of my new friends offered to me that if I wanted to start my hike on March 12 instead of the 15th, I could save the $ of my train ticket ($520.00 big ones!) and just ride down with her and her husband. So, I'm now starting March 12!!!! :banana :D :banana

Whoo HOOOOOOOOOO

Wow, trail magic already - or for me, I call it trail blessing. Hope to see you on the trail. :sun

Buckles
10-09-2006, 14:11

Whoo HOOOOOOOOOO

Michele,

Really happy for you! :) That train ticket refund will go a long way!

mindi
10-09-2006, 21:45
Michele, I should be heading out on the 12th too. Hope to see you out there!

Toasty
10-10-2006, 20:16
Just had my reservation confirmed at the Hikers Hostel. YIPPEE!! I'll be starting on 12th too -- on Springer -- not doing the approach trail.

Michele
10-10-2006, 20:58
Just had my reservation confirmed at the Hikers Hostel. YIPPEE!! I'll be starting on 12th too -- on Springer -- not doing the approach trail.

Hey everyone, it just so happens that Toasty (posted above this one) is the wonderful person who is letting me bum a ride all the way to Georgia. I say this a great start for our class, we're already helping each other out! Can't wait till I can pass on the favor!

HikerCrystal
10-11-2006, 17:58
Hi Im crystal and here is the dealio...I am leaving on March 10th From Springer Mt. The original plan was to make my first thru hike a solo, but apparently my beau Matt is coming with me, but if he flakes I will still be on the trail bright eyed and busy tailed, the approach trail at least ;) I plan on covering about 10-12 miles the first couple weeks and then bumping it up to 15-20.

calamity_jane
10-12-2006, 10:46
start date = march 8, 2007
starting location = amicalola state park
Northbound
Expected miles per day = 8 miles per day to start - working up to 16 miles per day
i'm terrified! and i can't wait!

laniamore
10-12-2006, 15:00
starting around march 18th after i graduate (woohoo) and going till i get to the end. solo (with some friends visiting), going north.

"sand is overrated it's just tiny little rocks"

-dash

Bread
10-16-2006, 11:52
I am a librarian in a small rural town in southwestern Colorado with a six month leave of absense beginning April 1st, 2007 to hike the Appalachian Trail.
What a thrill it is to even say the words!
I will leave Colorado via Gallup, NM, the nearest AmTrak terminus, deep in the heart of the Navajo Rez, on April 1st, to arrive many hours later in Atlanta Georgia.
I will hike the approach trail.
I will attempt 20 mile days.
Zero days will be an ultimate indulgence.
I will use shelters for convenience but not to sleep in. Hantavirus out here in the SW is some scary stuff.
So a Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 tent will be my home.
Many thanks to Sgt. Rock, Dixie Critter and ATroll (especial thanks to ATroll for asisting a newcomer) for providing and administering a great research tool. Also thanks to everyone who has taken the step beyond lurking and posted an opinion on any thread. Your voice is heard.
Now that I am geared up, clothed up, have enough $ saved up, I do have a few questions that'll I'll post on more appropriate forums.
I hope to see you all out there on the trail and that the reality of this experience is equal to the anitcipation.
This is going to be fun!

Flower lady
10-17-2006, 17:29
We to will be heading out in March, 07. Heading north, home to Maine. It sounds like we are going to have a good class of 07. Good luck and enjoy to all. deb

Boat Drinks
10-19-2006, 14:53
Johnny Minton, Starting March 2007. 37 years old, looking to finish no matter how long it takes. Ready to accept what Mother Nature throws my way! Looking forward to developing a "Trail Family." Hopefully friends that will last a lifetime. :sun

BigBambu
10-26-2006, 22:45
Starting with friend on march 19th at springer. I have no idea how many miles I will do a day or what my trail name will be

Panzer1
10-27-2006, 00:09
I could save the $ of my train ticket ($520.00 big ones!) and just ride down with her and her husband.

Couldn't you find anything cheaper than $520 for a one way trip. You could probably fly to Hawaii for that kind of money.

Panzer

mBizzle
10-27-2006, 01:24
Hi!!
I'm planning on starting late Jan/early Feb. Solo going North. I plan on hiking 10 to 15 a day. I hope to get as far as I can by the middle of May. I have a two week cruise planned. When I get back, I plan to pick up where I left off.

Maribeth

Survivor Dave
10-27-2006, 05:29
Hello all,
I will be leaving solo NB on March 12th from Springer. Looking forward to good times,great places, and meeting folks from all over the country and world that share the same dream. I hike every day to get in decent hiking shape(although they say nothing can COMPLETELY do this).

Got all that I need as far as gear, will buy along the way except for replacement equipment and supplies being sent a few times from a friend. I wish the time would pass faster! I guess having about 4 months to do pretty much nothing but hike is a blessing for sure.

Looking forward to doubling back from wherever I am to go to Damascus. I hear it's like Woodstock of 1969.
I can't watch the videos or read anymore books. It's just time to go. :sun

Rhettamus
10-27-2006, 07:48
Rhettamus
Fontana Dam 2 week in march
hiking with Long Leaf

EarlyBird2007
10-27-2006, 08:10
NOBO Starting @ March 25 from Springer. Solo, at least for now. I'll probably do about 15 miles/day. Hope to finish some time in Sept. Trail Journal found here: http://www.trailjournals.com/cumberlandvalley/

Paul Bunyan
10-27-2006, 09:37
Hey y'all. This is Paul Bunyan here. Me, Scipper, and Bliffful will be heading out around march first. Getting excited about it, hope to y'all NOBOs on the trail.

Blissful
10-27-2006, 09:38
Hey y'all. This is Paul Bunyan here. Me, Scipper, and Bliffful will be heading out around march first. Getting excited about it, hope to y'all NOBOs on the trail.

You can tell he has a cold right now....

:D

ryan207
10-27-2006, 15:43
Solo? maybe, doesnt matter anyway. SOBO in june 07, can't believe how close it is getting. How good it will feel to go from busting my butt in college to hiking everyday...

partinj
10-28-2006, 14:41
Hi mrHappy my name is jeff i plan on starting on jan 1 too see you out their

partinj
10-28-2006, 14:48
Hi my name is Jeff I will be starting my thur-hike on or around jan 1 2007 mabye a few days later see ever one out on the trail can't wait Geting closed by the day only 63 days left :welcome

gardenville
10-29-2006, 12:56
Hi, I am trying to get my act together for an early January start NOBO. My starting goal is 1 January so I can be on Springer for New Years Eve. I also would like to start early enough to "walk" into the SO Ruck at NOC between 13 and 16 January.

I have to hike in segments as I have a few "past" medical issues that still need frequent follow-up exams. I am getting an early start so I don't run out of time. I should have at least 2 months to hike at a time, sometimes more, then go home for the follow-up exams. I am trying to work out some local exams but that isn't going to well. After the exams I would head back to the trail a few months and repeat the follow-up exam schedule etc etc till I am on Katahdin.

I did a test hike in early October - the Georgia Loop - that went very well so I should be ready.

Moose2001
10-30-2006, 08:19
I'm thinking I may show up at Springer sometime around mid-April for yet another summer in the sun. Can't seem to get it out of my system! Could be worse things to be addicted to.

Hangman
10-30-2006, 08:29
I'll be walking from Georgia to Maine starting march 27th on the approach trail.:sun

guthook
10-31-2006, 18:18
I should be heading NOBO starting around March 1. Have to finish by the beginning of July for work.

Still looking for a way to get down to Springer to start things... maybe I'll see some of you out there
Cheers
Gut

Uncle Tom
10-31-2006, 21:05
I have a one way plane ticket to Atlanta that puts me on the AT on my 57th birthday on March 27. That is the day I will start. So if you head north on 3/27, I'll be there and I'll be friendly. Looking forward to the whole thing. I trust you through hikers will give me a real good name. I live in Maine and hope to walk home by the time Baxter State Park closes to overnight use on Oct. 15, or maybe I'll be there earlier. It is going to be great.

Tom Jamrog
Class of '97

Third Times A Charm
11-03-2006, 13:00
Arriving in Gainesville, on Amtrak March 3rd in the morning. Will be hiking north till I get to Katahdin. I'm 57 and slow as a snail. Hope to get to the end by October 15th. So when you fly by me on the trail say hello and let me know who you are.

I'm taking the train from Denver, CO so I might just a shuttle to the top of Springer this time. I have hike the approach trail twice and I got to do a road walk in the blizzard of 93'.:welcome

Third Times a Charm

AT 93',94' GA, WV>NH 97'

eric_plano
11-03-2006, 13:10
I'm throwing my hat in the ring again. Second try here and I can not wait to get back out there. April 2nd for my start date :D

The Impersonator
11-03-2006, 18:55
23, m, MA.

I'm planning on setting out on April 1'st, 2007, Georgia, NOBO. Going all the way, or at least until I'm out of money or dead. Starting 10 miles a day, probably, gradually going a little further until I get into a routine of (hopefully) about 20 miles a day. Going solo, but wouldn't mind hooking up to split a campfire and some good stories here and there.

I'm still in planning, and very much in training, but I can't wait!

Looking to bs w/ people about the trail, so feel free to im me on aim, at BroadswordMan. Or you can see what a geek I am at http://www.myspace.com/28483560.

Hope to hear from some people, and I'll see you on the trail!

Orin

"We have not seen the Orin in a verry looong tiime...."

The Impersonator
11-03-2006, 18:58
23, m, MA.

I'm planning on setting out on April 1'st, 2007, Georgia, NOBO. Going all the way, or at least until I'm out of money or dead. Starting 10 miles a day, probably, gradually going a little further until I get into a routine of (hopefully) about 20 miles a day. Going solo, but wouldn't mind hooking up to split a campfire and some good stories here and there.

I'm still in planning, and very much in training, but I can't wait!

Looking to bs w/ people about the trail, so feel free to im me on aim, at BroadswordMan. Or you can see what a geek I am at http://www.myspace.com/28483560.

Hope to hear from some people, and I'll see you on the trail!

Orin

----------------------------------------

"We have not seen the Orin in a verry looong tiime...."
-The Neverending Story

The Impersonator
11-03-2006, 19:02
sorry, don't know how it happened, but i somehow made an evil clone of my post!

Not that cloning is inherently evil.

Not like snakes or something...

But I'm pretty sure that the clone is evil.

I mean... How could it not be? Right?

I mean... if I went around... saying I was an emperor... Just because some moistened bink had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!!!

I digress.

Touch of Grey
11-03-2006, 20:07
Well thye plans are finally etched in stone. I forgot all about frequent flyer miles that I had floating out there with a couple of airlines. Lo and behold, one of them reminded me yesterday in the mail and made the choice easy. For a 25 dollar processing fee and a chunk of those miles, I have a flight from Detroit to Atlanta on March 11 with plans to stay over night with Josh and Leigh and begin March 12. Then an open ended return flight out of Bangor back to Detroit predated to save the spot for Sept. 12. I needed to make sure that there were no penalties if my plans changed and there are not. Cool!

So the hard part of the planning is done. How to get somewhere and how then to get home. Everything else on between will be an adventure. 126-7 days until I cruise the trail.

TOG

Boat Drinks
11-03-2006, 20:38
and begin March 12.
So 126-7 days until I cruise the trail.

TOG

:sun Hurray TOG, I start around the same time! Its gonna be so cool to put faces with names! according to my nifty countdown timer, I have 4 months, 9 days, 13 hours, 21 minutes!!! Woooo hoooo:banana

dsg
11-03-2006, 22:17
through hiker starting march 15 - springer. my son is driving me there from pa. 52/ wanted this since 12.

mindi
11-05-2006, 01:57
Yay, Touch of Grey! I'll be staying at the hikerhostel on the 11th and starting on the 12th also! Are you going to shuttle to the trailhead or do the approach trail? I'm probably going to skip the approach trail myself. Looking forward to meeting you and sharing some breakfast.

:) Mindi

Touch of Grey
11-05-2006, 04:18
Haven't thought that far ahead Mindi. We'll see what March 11 brings and then go from there. See you at the Hostel.

TOG

robo
11-06-2006, 12:25
robo , hope to start march 31, i did harpers - katahdin in '05 & fontana - waynesboro years ago, no plans just hike & enjoy

Ulysses
11-06-2006, 19:24
SOBO, ~june 16, taking the first semester off from college. Gotta keep saving my money...

fujiboots
11-06-2006, 19:54
Truth is I feel like becoming part of the class of 2007. You know, got this plan then things just seem to come together, life changes and then you have the chance. Well I got to Pearisburg last time, but the itch, ah that insurmountable thought, keeps coming on back. Now to convine the wife- Cassis Chocola-to tag along! Got to get her a Visa first!!!

derekthered
11-07-2006, 13:46
Heading out from Amicalola on march 12th-ish. hiking as many miles a day as i feel fit to do. if for some reason you feel a need to identify me, i'll be the rather short kid with the new yawk accent.:D

highway
11-07-2006, 14:55
Dont worry, I am sure a southern boy(or girl) or two will help out till the Mason-Dixon line. Just reciprocate north of it!:D

cbs125
11-18-2006, 09:50
Looking forward to a MArch 14-16 start NOBO from the Aproach trail. trying to fisih befor Aug 5th. (that's when i leave for bermuda on a cruise with the family. actually that why i can't start earlier i'm on a cruise 3-5 to 3-9.) i'll hike GA-ME and Cruise to Cruise. i've been looking forward to this since i grad from PSU in 2000. the time is right now. no name yet see ya on the trail.

corey
i've got to get looking at some new gear. mine is old and heavy.

Lone Wolf
11-18-2006, 09:53
How about Cruisin', Long Cruise or Cruise Control?

Stonewall
11-18-2006, 10:32
So last I had concluded was that I was not going to be able to go this year. But on Wednesday I said F%*& it. I am graduating with associates in fine arts in December. I will have no responsibilities, no obligations ... no money. That is where the interesting part is. As soon as I get enough I will hit the trail whether it be NOBO or SOBO I’m not exactly sure yet, hopefully NOBO but probably the later. I am burnt out of school and if I go for my duel major in adventure recreation and natural resource management next semester I will be totally fried. So wish me luck and I’ll keep you posted.

I was thinking it would be cool to be able to start in GA finish in ME the hike down to Green Mountain College in VT and start classes.

partinj
11-19-2006, 23:15
Hi everone I plan on starting on Jan 18 2007 Just wonder anyone else leaving around the same time. I will be catching the greyhound out of washington DC
at 9:00 Pm geting to gainesville at 10:35 am well see all you good folks on the trail

all yet if you are leaving or traveling down to gainesville mabye we can meet on the bus at one the stations you can email me at [email protected]:sun

hammock engineer
11-20-2006, 00:00
After looking at this thread and the poll for start dates I'm wondering if I am the only person without a set start date. I am just going to either catch a ride or take to bus to Atlanta and have a friend drop me off at the trail. I'm thinking mid March right now.

Bird
11-22-2006, 18:23
Looking forward to a March 1st departure and finishing Mid-August, or in time to head to graduate school. Would love to hike with someone versed in natural history or interested in birds, but will be thankful just to meet good souls on the trail.

Blissful
11-22-2006, 23:27
Looking forward to a March 1st departure and finishing Mid-August, or in time to head to graduate school. Would love to hike with someone versed in natural history or interested in birds, but will be thankful just to meet good souls on the trail.

:welcome
We're starting March 1st and my dh - Skipper - is very much into tree and plant identification. He's with us for two weeks probably until NOC.
See you on the trail.

J Link NJ
11-25-2006, 14:19
so far im Solo, No.bo., starting on march 18 from the summit (not doing approach, getting dropped off at the parking lot. i'm 19 years old, hopefuly will do atleast 10 miles a day starting off. Not sure if I'm going to use J Link NJ as my trail name or if im going to find something more nature-ish.
-Josh

WhoAh
11-26-2006, 00:50
Josh -

Welcome to the Class of 2007!!

Crazy Legs
11-26-2006, 07:23
SOBO, mid-June. Wish I could start today!!! Been planning for 15 years!

hikernutt
11-26-2006, 23:35
Hikernutt here, Solo NOBO starting around March 15? 2007 hopefully picking up with Mountain Man, starting out slow & easy in the biginning and hoping to pick up miles later, will be giving my best shot at going all the way. Be glad to meet ya'll. Hikernutt

K-Man
11-27-2006, 22:49
Well it's officially official. Paperwork was signed today by all necessary parties and I now have an excused leave from work between March 18th and Sept 30th. I'm supposed to be back to work on Oct 1st, but we will see how that goes... Time to look at plane tickets. Plan is to fly to Atlanta on the 18th and have the Hiker Hostel pick me up. I'll stay the night then start this adventure on the 19th. I will probably do the Approach Trail. I figure if I have to walk down Katahdin, I might as well walk up Springer. I plan to take advantage of all my time off and am in no hurry to get to Maine. To finish in 180 days (giving me about 2 weeks to adjust to non-trail life upon return) I have to average 12 miles a day which is quite doable.
See y'all in 111 days. Peace - Hungus

reddog176
11-27-2006, 23:28
2 in party, Chris and Kaylene. Starting Mid-march, probably just after the 18th as that's my parents 25th Anniversary. Going NB from Spring, doing the Approach trail. On the AT home (PA) we do about 10 miles a day, so we'll probably do 8 in Georgia since I hear it's rough, and work our way up to 15-20. ETA Katahdin 4-7 months... we really aren't picky! This is our second try - last year tragedy struck right before we we're about to hit the trail, causing us to cancel. This year, NOTHING is stopping us! Can't wait to see you all out there!

K-Man
11-27-2006, 23:39
OK now it is super ultimately officially official. Plane tix purchased from EWR to ATL and Joshua and Leigh from the Hiker Hostel contacted. No turning back now! This calls for a dancing banana...:banana

Stonewall
11-28-2006, 00:42
the bananas don't dance anymore for me:confused::(

Stonewall
11-28-2006, 00:44
by the way totaly awsome K-Man.

:banana:banana:banana

Third Times A Charm
11-28-2006, 11:44
Third Times A Charm, will arrive Gainesville, GA via Amtrak on March 3rd. I will be 57 when I start and we can celebrate my birthday in Hanover, NH on August 10th. I'm taking the train from Denver via Chicago and D.C.

This will be my 4th time, the last time was 10 years ago, so I'll be a little slower. Welcome to all, stop and say hello as you blow by me.

Enjoy the journey and you will reach your destination.
A little reminder: No Pain, No Rain, No Maine

Nokia
11-28-2006, 21:41
Nokia here. Again. March 15thish. We'll see how far. As many know I don't care how far, how fast. Just love the trail!!! Miss u all!

warraghiyagey
11-29-2006, 01:46
Hey,
Will probably be leaving Katahdin first week of June, 2007. Hiked from Katahdin to Dalton, Mass - by the way Tom Lavardi's grace and kindness is inspiring - this summer, 2006 with the Mobsters. I considered just finishing from there next year but I don't think I could miss Maine, NH and Vermont.
So I think I'll just start over and enjoy the whole thru-hike. Just can't miss the experience above the tree line. Hope to see you there Duderino - The Dude.

Peace,
Warraghiyagey

Nameless
12-02-2006, 04:04
Thouht I would finally post here. This is my second attempt at a thru hike. In 2005 I started at Katahdin, but I wasn't ready yet mentally and physically. Everything was about making in to georgia, nothing else mattered. Well, nearly two years have passed and things have changed. Having everyone else know what I'm doing isn't important now, probably why I havn't posted in this thread yet. I just want to go and hike, i don't care who else cares. I would love to make it to Katahdin again, but its ok if I dont. I think I do have a better chance of making it this time

So, my boyfriend (with a whole one night of backpacking experience) and I are leaving Springer on March 1st. We plan to have the trail completed by August 15 so that we can make it back to school in the fall.

squaw
12-02-2006, 23:49
Since my husband and I live just an hour west of NOC, I will begin a series of 5-6 day stints on the AT, NOBO beginning with the Approach Trail, in mid-January 2007. My purpose for hiking is to 1) enjoy being out in the woods and 2) lose some weight. I won't be killing myself mileage wise. Given my current fitness level it will likely be 8-12 miles per day. Brave will drive me to the trailhead/road crossing on Sunday afternoon and pick me up at a designated road crossing Friday night or Saturday morning. That will leave us the weekend to re-connect ;) and for me to rest/laundry/re-supply. That's the plan, anyway. I certainly won't be heading out into any major storm or staying out if I feel at all over my head. I'll hike till I'm done. Who knows when that will be?

See y'all out there!

Squaw

partinj
12-03-2006, 00:07
i everone well my starting date been push back it is now Feb 3 2007 well give more time to check out my gear and break in my boots see ya out their

lauraborealis
12-03-2006, 18:23
starting at the beginning of March NOBO. Hiking with my dog. Any other dog owners?

Pacific Tortuga
12-03-2006, 18:26
Welcome to WB's and hope to meet you on the Trail next year, take care.

frieden
12-06-2006, 11:21
We will have to bow out of the Class of 2007. :( Ed's hip xray wasn't pretty. We are considering hiking as far as we can every year, and doing the AT in sections. Hope to meet some of you out there! Be safe. --Frieden and Ed.

Blissful
12-06-2006, 11:27
We will have to bow out of the Class of 2007. :( Ed's hip xray wasn't pretty. We are considering hiking as far as we can every year, and doing the AT in sections. Hope to meet some of you out there! Be safe. --Frieden and Ed.

So sorry to hear that but glad you can do the sections which is just as good! I will also be doing sections in 2008 with my hubby who has to stay home while my son and I go next year. That way he can be a 2,000 miler. Take care.

hiker_sue
12-06-2006, 13:41
Female 35 Going North Starting around March 15th ish

deadair
12-06-2006, 16:05
hey everyone, keith here from kentucky, i'll be heading out solo on march 5th. Did have a partner but she backed out, anyone feel like getting to know me then send me a pm. plan to start out pretty slow down in GA and take my time heading north. See everyone out there!!!

Sorrys2Cliche
12-06-2006, 18:47
No-Name NOBO from springer March 15th-ish.....

- Ian

turkeyjerky
12-06-2006, 20:48
SOLO, NOBO, March 20, about 15 miles a day, I live and work in Yosemite nt. Pk. as a backpacking guide, taking 6 months off work to start a dream of hiking the USA's big 3 in the next 5 years, starting with the appalachian. Turkeyjerky is my give trail name, real name is McCray. I'm a super laid back eccentric progressive minded queer! Holler at me if you have questions. SEE YA'LL ON THE TRAIL

Lacbe
12-07-2006, 19:25
Will be leaving Springer March 10th, not concerned about the miles starting out. Not hiking with a partner, but look forward to meeting many of you and learning more about myself.

Cherokee Bill
12-07-2006, 19:27
I have been backpacking for over 20-years, and am now only a few months away from 60 yo. Waiting for life's circumstances to work out so I can "thru-hike", has been difficult.

I work for a large Defense Contractor and over the 38-years I've been there, they have slowly chiped away at retirement benefits. The last cut was to take away all medical benefits for retirees. So, I must work till the age of 66 to get Medicare & full-SS.

So in six (6) more years I'll be 66, have 44-years of service and will be a member fo the "Class of 2013" :banana

So when your plans get delayed a year of so, don't fret, you'll make it:sun

dennisartrip
12-07-2006, 20:28
Solo,northbound from Springer on March 18th. Will be hiking approximately 5 hours a day, until I get acclimated. I'm in no hurry, after all this is a vacation/adventure.

Dennis Artrip
"Trudger"

Dogginfox
12-09-2006, 02:30
Sign me Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I expect to start the approach trail to springer sometime after lunch on 3/1!!!

rafe
12-09-2006, 11:27
I'll be starting what will hopefully be my final section of the trail late in the summer of 2007, so I may run into a few of you SOBOs. I'll probably be SOBO myself, starting at Lehigh Gap and ending at VA 601 just N. of War Spur shelter. (The road that leads down to Blacksburg.) I have just under 600 miles to go and about six weeks to do it. GA->VA, ME->VA, 1990-2007.

chicote
12-13-2006, 17:21
My wife and I plan on going sometime after the 16th of March. Most likely the following weekend so our ride won't have to take a day off of work (school teacher, a day off of work means more work than just working that day). See you out there!

Oh we'll be 27 and plan on taking it easy in the beginning and then hopefully cranking out 20 mile days to the end.

Uncle Tom
12-15-2006, 20:20
Starting March 27, 2007. GA--> ME ( where I live). Look forward to the adventure. I plan to enjoy myself, taking 6 months or so to complete it. I will lend a hand to all. See you on the trail.
No Trail Name yet.
TJamrog

fujiboots
12-16-2006, 06:13
Checking in as part of the class of '07, can't wait to leave Japan and head for the Trail. Been there before and hoping my wife, a woman familiar with hiking here but not in the States, will have as much fun as I had the last time on the AT. Starting around April 23rd, to all and even more, good luck.

the Comet
12-17-2006, 23:17
NOBO solo thru attempt beginning late April early May. Best of luck to all. See you on the trail.

magic_game03
12-18-2006, 01:50
ok, all you bone heads the hellkat is commin down the trail. so hide your kin folk and raise the brothern. HELL IS COMMIN!!!!!

hellkat

ga-me '03
ga-me '04 #1nobo
ga-me '05
mex-can'05
mex-or '06
ga-me '07

TJ aka Teej
12-18-2006, 02:00
Y'know, there's a recent thread about who was the 'best thruhiker'...
And I vote for you guys. The "best" ATer is the "next" ATer!

cargousa
12-19-2006, 11:50
WOOOHOOO!! Leave of absence approved! Springer here I come!

35 yr/old male solo nobo. As I’m telling my friends and family, I’m starting in Georgia about April 1st and heading north….if I get to Maine thats cool, but either way I’m going to enjoy myself!
As to miles per day I have no idea, whatever feels good.
Many thanks to the whiteblaze community, I’ve been lurking here for a long time, dreaming of when I could do this trip …finally its here! :banana

--Cargo

rafe
12-19-2006, 11:56
time, dreaming of when I could do this trip …finally its here! :banana

You go, Cargo !!

Phil1959
12-19-2006, 21:09
Leaving Springer on the 20th after hiking up from Amicalola.Glad I have found this website.So many people with the same enthusiasm for the hike.This is my first long hike,but have lived in Alaska,Washington and Vermont,so used to the cold.Plan on hiking light with no set plans.Nothing to come back to,so gonna enjoy whatever comes my way.Ya know,we all are on to something special here! See ya all on the trail!

Yote
12-19-2006, 21:52
I would like to do it in bits and pieces as I can not get off of work long enough to do the entire trip in one year. My goal is to start at Springer and hike thru the Smokies and stop the first year.

I am looking for anyone that would like to join me.

Email me at utvols33@yahoo if you are interested!

Thanks

Skippy5883
12-19-2006, 22:50
Hey everybody!! Well, I just graduated from college and now it's off to the next big adventure! I am planning on starting in late March (was thinking of the 24th or the 31st). I'm not sure if I want to deal with a hiking partner since I'll have my dog with me for the hike. So if you see a big scary looking German Shepherd comming, I'll be there too haha. I can't wait to get on the trail and have some fun! See everybody there, W

Danimal
12-19-2006, 22:51
Heading north with my best friend starting April 1st.

We're hoping to be moving north at a pretty good clip, but you never know until you start doing it.

Can't wait to meet y'all on the trail.

Bird
12-23-2006, 11:40
I am a 54 year old Maryland Terrapin and plan to start March 1st going NoBo, after visiting mother in Winter Haven, Florida. See you early birds on the trail. I plan on doing 15-20 miles a day after a break-in period!

I am a Sierra Club outings leader and have taken the Wilderness First Aid course several times. I am more than willing to help out any hiker in need.

WhoAh
12-23-2006, 23:58
I am a 54 year old Maryland Terrapin and plan to start March 1st going NoBo, after visiting mother in Winter Haven, Florida. See you early birds on the trail. I plan on doing 15-20 miles a day after a break-in period!

I am a Sierra Club outings leader and have taken the Wilderness First Aid course several times. I am more than willing to help out any hiker in need.

Bird -

Welcome to the Class of 2007. I'm a Winter Haven native myself, and reside over in Lakeland now. I'm not starting until later in March but if you get a few minutes while you are down this way give me a shout (PM me for my number) and maybe we can swap some gear stories.

Panzer1
12-24-2006, 02:13
Hey everybody!! Well, I just graduated from college and now it's off to the next big adventure! I am planning on starting in late March (was thinking of the 24th or the 31st). I'm not sure if I want to deal with a hiking partner since I'll have my dog with me for the hike. So if you see a big scary looking German Shepherd comming, I'll be there too haha. I can't wait to get on the trail and have some fun! See everybody there, W

I don't know if anyone ever mentioned this to you or not but it is probably not such a good idea to attempt a thru with a dog.

Panzer

revandycoats
12-25-2006, 22:31
I am 23 year old male from Shreveport, Louisiana. I am starting in on August 6th, 2007 after I finish my summer camps I am working. Currently solo. Looking for a partner. Let me know if interested....

traildust
12-25-2006, 23:37
Heading out March 1st, NOBO. Did Md., Pa., N.J., N.Y., Vt., Cn. This year is the end to end. The "thru".

bryon
12-28-2006, 17:01
I'm a 33 year old male from Greenville, SC leaving from Springer in late April. I would like to find a partner to start with for at least the first week or so. PM me if you're interested.

Sporty_McFlannel
12-29-2006, 12:37
My friends, shortly after my 25th birthday and graduating from grad school, I will be attempting a thru-hike Sobo (not to be confused with "sober") beginning late-May or the first of June...solo at the moment. You will recognize me because I will be wearing a suit and tie. I'm not trying to be gimmicky or a novelty or anything, well yes I am I guess. More details on this and possibly a website soon.

Flower lady
01-01-2007, 10:26
Starting March first at Springer heading home, Hope to make it in one season, We have been camping out up here in Maine so the first of March shouldn't be to bad. Can't wait. We are still working on our trail names. Still need to decide on a phone.

dre+samantha
01-01-2007, 11:01
Hello and a Happy New Year to everyone. My name is Andre, my dog Samantha and I are going to hike the AT together starting March 4th or 10th depending on my transportation. Samantha has been out on the trail near my home training hard with hear pack on...she doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Anyway the both of us can't wait to see everyone out on the trail...:banana :sun :D

Jan LiteShoe
01-01-2007, 11:24
Happy 2007, campers!
This is YOUR year!
Won't be long now.
Are you freaking out yet?
I was.

WhoAh
01-03-2007, 22:15
Happy 2007, campers!
This is YOUR year!
Won't be long now.
Are you freaking out yet?
I was.

Hey LiteShoe -

Oh Lady of Pack 31 - you got that book yet???

I'm not freaking out yet but am getting really, really antsy.... and my wife is getting real tired of me talking about the Trail and messing with my gear... and she can't believe that I tried Spam....

Jan LiteShoe
01-03-2007, 22:56
Hey LiteShoe -

Oh Lady of Pack 31 - you got that book yet???

I'm not freaking out yet but am getting really, really antsy.... and my wife is getting real tired of me talking about the Trail and messing with my gear... and she can't believe that I tried Spam....

Not SPAM!!!!???
Don't you know that stuff causes ingrown toenails and hemorrhoids?
:)

iliketacos
01-06-2007, 00:27
Hiya, looking to start at Springer 3/1/07.

Socrates
01-06-2007, 05:46
Hi everyone, I'm leaving the beginning to middle of March. There are so many posts on here that I can't even read them all so I just look foward to meeting you on the trail! And please remember that wherever you go, that's where you are!
~ Socrates

Rattler
01-06-2007, 22:25
Hi Folks:
Planning on trying again going North from Springer starting around the 12th of March. Will have to be creative as I have to be at work from mid-June to September 1st. Likely to be SoBo in the Fall depending on how things work out this Spring.
Rattler

the_iceman
01-07-2007, 14:29
March 5th, NoBo, Approach Trail from the Lodge. With my daughter until Neel's gap then solo.

J Link NJ
01-08-2007, 01:31
North Bound starting on March 18. Solo. 19 years old. Male. trail name may be Grom... (havent decided yet). see ya out there!

cabell
01-08-2007, 17:09
hey i am a 22 year old female looking for another female partner to start the At NOBO with. please drop me a note if you are interested - [email protected]

BirchBark
01-11-2007, 15:57
Birchbark here. I will be setting off from Springer Mtn. in mid February.

I did a coupla' hundred miles of the Mid-Atlantic section last year, and resolved to do it right this year. By right I mean with less weight and a HAMMOCK, thank you.

I hope to meet lots of interesting people and to see lots of interesting things on the trail. God Bless America!

Daniel MacLeod
(Birchbark)

Skipper the Eyechild
01-11-2007, 17:47
Hi - a friend and me are going to start NOBO early/mid March, depending on when we get our US visas (we hail from England). Really looking forward to it all - your mountains are tall and jagged, ours are just big hills. Should be an experience.

DjangoRob
01-11-2007, 18:17
Hi - a friend and me are going to start NOBO early/mid March, depending on when we get our US visas (we hail from England). Really looking forward to it all - your mountains are tall and jagged, ours are just big hills. Should be an experience.

Well, I'm the friend mentioned here. Yeah, it should be fun.

WackyPacker
01-13-2007, 01:39
I'm planning to start in Maine the week of June 4th. I'm not sure of an exact date since I'd like to start the trail on a nicer day.

I will have a HelloKitty patch on my pack as well as my father five feet behind me, making sure his "baby girl" is safe. When I die of embarrassment, will someone please help the old man carry my body off the trail. Sarcasm aside, I'm excited to start. I can't wait to meet all the characters out there.

sandwitch
01-13-2007, 03:02
Hello all, I'm a solo hiker starting the first day of spring (March 20) NOBO, I'm not sure if I'll start from the approach trail or the Springer parking lot. I have no set mileage plans, just to take the trail as it comes. Look forward to seeing you

2 Fingers
01-14-2007, 04:50
Hi All, It's me again... will be doing a NOBO... will be my second start... was planning on a March 15th start date, but bumped it up to March 1st... burned ALL my bridges this time; quit my job, gave up my apartment, sold my POS car, bought ALL my gear... at this rate I'll have to bump it up to February 15th... been staying with friends and driving them crazy... have no plans on mileage cause that is too much like a J.O.B... hike what I can... as long as I finish.

WandererKMK
01-15-2007, 00:10
My name is Kim, I live in the DC area and I want to set the reset button on my life. Perfectly beautiful life, filled with lovely people and events - I am just not comfortable or happy in it. Decided in Oct to go, novice is an understatment - bringing my dog - no need to comment about the downside of that - thought about it lots. I am really afraid and freaked out at the idea of leaving everything to do this thru hike - but I know, in my heart - this is the right thing to do. So before April 15 (goal right now is to leave March 15-17), which is my drop dead date for departure, I will give up job, my band (sing with local group at night), my house, my friends, my life - to make a dramatic and immediate change - and I can't wait. I have been a bit overwhelmed by how public the on line community is - so many seem to know each other or easily get to know each other - I still feel very much an outsider. But I will tell you this - I will be walking real slow so chances are, anyone who leaves after me is bound to find me! If you hear a voice singing in the woods - it just might be me.

OH - and I think my band will be playing trail days so even if I don't make it longer than a week, I will see you crazy hiker folk when you get to Damascus!!!

WhoAh
01-15-2007, 01:38
My name is Kim, I live in the DC area and I want to set the reset button on my life. Perfectly beautiful life, filled with lovely people and events - I am just not comfortable or happy in it. Decided in Oct to go, novice is an understatment - bringing my dog - no need to comment about the downside of that - thought about it lots. I am really afraid and freaked out at the idea of leaving everything to do this thru hike - but I know, in my heart - this is the right thing to do. So before April 15 (goal right now is to leave March 15-17), which is my drop dead date for departure, I will give up job, my band (sing with local group at night), my house, my friends, my life - to make a dramatic and immediate change - and I can't wait. I have been a bit overwhelmed by how public the on line community is - so many seem to know each other or easily get to know each other - I still feel very much an outsider. But I will tell you this - I will be walking real slow so chances are, anyone who leaves after me is bound to find me! If you hear a voice singing in the woods - it just might be me.

Kim - welcome to the class of 2007. We're a pretty easy going bunch and - for the most part- easy to get to know.

We were all novices at one point - and some of us sorta still are (like me, to an extent...) so don't hesitate to ask questions about your upcoming journey. I'm also planning a mid-March start date as is several others so you won't be alone.

2 Fingers
01-15-2007, 18:46
Hi All, It's me, 2 Fingers, again... will be doing a NOBO... will be my second start... first start 2 years ago fell-thru...burned ALL my bridges this time; quit my job, gave up my apartment, sold my POS car, bought ALL my gear...was planning on a March 15th start date, but bumped it up to March 1st... been staying with friends and driving them crazy... at this rate I'll have to bump it up to February 15th... have no plans on mileage cause that's too much like a J.O.B... hike one foot in front of the other till I finish.

The Band-aid Kid
01-17-2007, 23:48
I'll be on the approach trail morning of April 1 -seems to me that April Fools Day is the perfect day for me to start this grand adventure! I'll be taking it slow and easy in GA but am really looking forward to NC/TN balds and azaleas. Hopefully I'll be able to whip my beaurocrat butt into some sort of hiking shape by Damascus. Am also really looking forward to hiking in NH and ME in Sept. and hope to finish near the end of the month. A couple of summers caretaking on the LT convinced me that September is a GREAT time to be out in the woods in New England: cool temps, blue skies and fall foliage is a combination that is hard to beat! Happy Hiking and hope to meet you all along the way!

madstang
01-18-2007, 00:46
Me and the ohter two Bear-Bait-Boys are planning to start February 3rd at Springer. We hope to get a jump on the crowds and not freeze to death. Tired of waiting - ready to go

zerohiker
01-18-2007, 17:51
Solo, Nobo, started jan 14 2007, im at woody gap now, going shelter to shelter for awhile

Hasty
01-18-2007, 18:34
Hey guys,
I'm 20, Starting March 1st, Solo, Northbound, 15-18 mile days at first, appoach trail because I would feel like I am cutting corners otherwise, I'm shooting for 25 lbs on my back.
I know of at least 2 others my age who are starting the same time who are also from Virginia.
Oh, and no name yet.
See you on the trail!

Whistler
01-19-2007, 01:27
Woohoo! It's been ages since I last posted at WB, but I'm throwing my hat back in the ring. My last long AT trip was summer 2005.

Springer Fever really hit hard this winter. So, I've officially committed to hiking again this summer. I'm not sure when I'm starting. Probably sometime in May.

Dang, it feels good to say that.
-Mark

otis1912
01-22-2007, 22:35
Hey guys my name is Todd and i'm looking to do a SOBO June 14th. I'm also a bit of a novice and looking forward to meeting some of you folks on the trail or at trail days. I ran into Zero this weekend at Neels Gap. spirits seemed high. Keep on hiking you hike Zero. see you in june