PDA

View Full Version : Samurai Hillbilly's

TOW
06-16-2006, 13:42
Hey ya all, have you heard of the family that is hiking north this year called the "Samurai Hillbilly's? Mom and Dad with four kids! Almost reminds you of the family from the north.

They are in Damascus right now staying at The Place and I encourage you to meet them if you have the chance.

I just finished speaking with them and they are just some of the most gentle beings I have come across this year on the trail.

The father "Flamethrower" said they were just going to hike to Harpers Ferry this year and then do the rest in one month increments over the next few years till they're done.

I am going to introduce them to the site here so then they might be able to keep everyone updated.

They reside in Ohio.

So if your in the general area and want to meet a wonderful bunch, I say you drop in to The Place and say hello. And if anyone has a car, they could probably use a ride to the grocery store.....

Preacher Dude
06-16-2006, 14:02
They are indeed a wonderful bunch of folks. I met them when I was doing "trail magic" at Addis Gap in Georgia. Was wondering about them the other day ....whether they were still on the trail or not. I remembered they told me they were going to Harper's Ferry so am delighted to hear they are still at it. Please tell them that Preacher Dude said hello and was thinking about them.

TOW
06-16-2006, 14:18
They are indeed a wonderful bunch of folks. I met them when I was doing "trail magic" at Addis Gap in Georgia. Was wondering about them the other day ....whether they were still on the trail or not. I remembered they told me they were going to Harper's Ferry so am delighted to hear they are still at it. Please tell them that Preacher Dude said hello and was thinking about them.i'll say hi to them for ya PD..............

Heater
06-16-2006, 14:27
Austex's imitation of a samuai hillbilly:

BONZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI! ENUH... GITERDuuuuUUUUuuuun...
That's funny... I don't care who you are. :banana

TOW
06-16-2006, 14:35
Austex's imitation of a samuai hillbilly:

BONZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI! ENUH... GITERDuuuuUUUUuuuun...
That's funny... I don't care who you are. :bananait sure is...........

Lone Wolf
06-16-2006, 14:37
A ride to the grocery store? It's an easy .6 walk.

The Solemates
06-16-2006, 14:46
they have a journal?

Preacher Dude
06-16-2006, 15:36
i'll say hi to them for ya PD..............
Thanks TOW.....One of my fondest remembrances of the family was while we were eating stew, the dad told me about a really swell joke that he and his wife had played on the kids as they approached my campsite at Addis Gap. My large tent and canopy over the serving tables and my coolers full of sodas were visible for several hundred yards as they came down the mountain to the gap. As soon as they saw my camp set-up, he and his wife convinced the four kids that my campsite was actually a mirage and not real...told them that that happened a lot to hikers who had been in the woods for as long as they had been.....so the kids were walking around my camp in a daze ....not sure if I was real or not ....and really were not convinced that I wasn't a mirage until they began eating the stew and drinking the sodas. You just gotta love folks that have fun like that.

TOW
06-16-2006, 15:45
A ride to the grocery store? It's an easy .6 walk.yea , i know but if you would be so kind to do this gesture for them they may become awed at being in your legendary presence......

TOW
06-16-2006, 15:46
they have a journal?nope, not yet.....but if i can train them they will....

TOW
06-16-2006, 16:06
Thanks TOW.....One of my fondest remembrances of the family was while we were eating stew, the dad told me about a really swell joke that he and his wife had played on the kids as they approached my campsite at Addis Gap. My large tent and canopy over the serving tables and my coolers full of sodas were visible for several hundred yards as they came down the mountain to the gap. As soon as they saw my camp set-up, he and his wife convinced the four kids that my campsite was actually a mirage and not real...told them that that happened a lot to hikers who had been in the woods for as long as they had been.....so the kids were walking around my camp in a daze ....not sure if I was real or not ....and really were not convinced that I wasn't a mirage until they began eating the stew and drinking the sodas. You just gotta love folks that have fun like that.now that's funny, i'm going to remind them of that one.....

Preacher Dude
06-16-2006, 16:48
yea , i know but if you would be so kind to do this gesture for them they may become awed at being in your legendary presence......
Betcha Lone Wolf was already on his way to give them a lift......despite his verbratto, his heart of gold is hard to camoflage.

bfitz
06-16-2006, 17:30
That's awesome.

So is the word "verbratto"...I'm stealing it.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2006, 20:55
yea , i know but if you would be so kind to do this gesture for them they may become awed at being in your legendary presence......
Nope. They ain't doing nothing special. Just walking.

Preacher Dude
06-17-2006, 01:00
Ah ....yes....will we ever know the truth? Did the elusive L. Wolf reveal his legendary presence and come to the aid of our family of Samurai Hillbillies and give them a ride to the grocery store or alas....did they have to trek the .6 miles in the scorching heat....Papa, Mama, and four chillins. Please stay tuned for the next heartwrenching episode of our saga....."The Samurai Hillbillies slice into Damascus and Get-R-Done"

TOW
06-17-2006, 08:59
Nope. They ain't doing nothing special. Just walking.your right and your not doing much either, neither am i as far as that goes...............come on LW, quit being hard and go down ther and offer them a ride to the store, i think they are at the library this morning....i'll pay for the gas.......

TOW
06-17-2006, 09:02
Ah ....yes....will we ever know the truth? Did the elusive L. Wolf reveal his legendary presence and come to the aid of our family of Samurai Hillbillies and give them a ride to the grocery store or alas....did they have to trek the .6 miles in the scorching heat....Papa, Mama, and four chillins. Please stay tuned for the next heartwrenching episode of our saga....."The Samurai Hillbillies slice into Damascus and Get-R-Done"and the sequel to this may very well be that Lone Wolf decided to show up on the scene, since The Only Wanderer offered to pay for the gas, and not only took them to get their groceries but decide to take them all over kingdom come and as a result he broke the ole wanderer........

Lone Wolf
06-17-2006, 09:43
Pretty unlikely.

TOW
06-17-2006, 10:58
Pretty unlikely.hahahaha:D

hacksaw
06-17-2006, 13:59
Betcha Lone Wolf was already on his way to give them a lift......despite his verbratto, his heart of gold is hard to camoflage.

"Verbratto" as applied to LW takes some thinking about......

TOW
06-17-2006, 15:51
"Verbratto" as applied to LW takes some thinking about......there is no such word, what is it suppose to mean PD?

bfitz
06-17-2006, 18:43
A cross between vibrato, verb, and bravado...? I like it even without fully understanding...sort of a poetic non-auditory onomatopoeia. mabye...

From wikipedia...

It is sometimes the case that an item of onomatopoeia describes a phenomenon apart from the aural. The Japanese language is especially renowned for utilizing onomatopoeia to describe soundless concepts. For instance, Japanese bara bara and shiiin are onomatopoeic forms reflecting a scattered state and silence, respectively. These words are considered to be imitative without being auditory. (See Japanese sound symbolism.)

While almost all examples in common English usage imitate sounds, the language is not entirely devoid of non-auditory onomatopoeia. A few such words have gaining parlance recently, including bling bling, the "sound" of light reflecting off diamonds; and the Simpsons-inspired "yoink", the "sound" of stealing something. Another example would be flump, which seems to perfectly sum up the 'soundless experience' of flumping (dropping) heavily into/onto a settee or chair when exhausted.

Preacher Dude
06-17-2006, 19:06
A cross between vibrato, verb, and bravado...? I like it even without fully understanding...sort of a poetic non-auditory onomatopoeia. mabye...

From wikipedia...
bfitz... you have explained what I meant by "verbratto" precisely and probably far better than I ever could have. The only exception I would make to your onomatopoeia analogy would be the word "verbiage" rather than "verb" as the second component ....since "verbiage" means "superfluidy of words", which seems to fit with the point I was making.

TOW
06-18-2006, 08:59
bfitz... you have explained what I meant by "verbratto" precisely and probably far better than I ever could have. The only exception I would make to your onomatopoeia analogy would be the word "verbiage" rather than "verb" as the second component ....since "verbiage" means "superfluidy of words", which seems to fit with the point I was making.well i'll be............................

Skidsteer
06-18-2006, 09:05
bfitz... The only exception I would make to your onomatopoeia analogy would be the word "verbiage" rather than "verb" as the second component ....since "verbiage" means "superfluidy of words", which seems to fit with the point I was making.

:-? 'Superfluidity of words?' I've seldom heard L. Wolf say anything that didn't need sayin'. I like the word, though.

hacksaw
06-18-2006, 11:02
well i'll be............................
DANG! I'll be too.......I LIKE this word!

hacksaw
06-18-2006, 11:05
:-? 'Superfluidity of words?' I've seldom heard L. Wolf say anything that didn't need sayin'. I like the word, though.

Maybe if you get him good and greased he's superfluid with his words! Yeah, maybe, but he don't use too many even greased!

Preacher Dude
06-18-2006, 12:43
Hence the very reason why "verbiage" was not sufficient by itself to adequately express my thoughts....neither was "vibrato" nor "bravado"...but rather a combination of the three to produce the word "verbratto"....which is exactly how words come into existence ....to express a thought that cannot adequately be expressed by existing words.....hence a new word becomes necessary.....glad y'all like it.

bfitz
06-18-2006, 14:57
It's a neologism! And the verbiage can be superfluid without being superfluous, copious, or grandiloquent...

TOW
06-18-2006, 15:52
Hence the very reason why "verbiage" was not sufficient by itself to adequately express my thoughts....neither was "vibrato" nor "bravado"...but rather a combination of the three to produce the word "verbratto"....which is exactly how words come into existence ....to express a thought that cannot adequately be expressed by existing words.....hence a new word becomes necessary.....glad y'all like it.well i'll be.......once more..............

Heater
06-18-2006, 17:30
And the verbiage can be superfluid without being superfluous, copious, or grandiloquent...

Supercopilloquent? :-?

TOW
06-19-2006, 08:43
Supercopilloquent? :-?do you mean Sparkplugging?http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=Sparkplugging

Preacher Dude
06-19-2006, 09:39
Getting back to the original subject of the thread.....have the "samurai hillbillies" family left Damascus yet? .....and did they ever get to meet LW?

Lone Wolf
06-19-2006, 09:41
Don't know and no.

TOW
06-19-2006, 09:50
Getting back to the original subject of the thread.....have the "samurai hillbillies" family left Damascus yet? .....and did they ever get to meet LW?they are leaving this morning sometime, and i don't think they ever met LW. if thay had of they would have been besides themselves i know for sure.....heck far, them little girls would have probably wanted his autographed picture to hang up on their bedroom wall when they got home so they could show their friends what real hiker dudes look like......instead, since i was the next best thing i gave them a signed copy of "minnesotasmith" convincing them that it was me back in my better years..........they were all giggly and telling everyone that would listen....yep ole Lone Wolf missed the chance of becoming a legendary hiking icon in some childs mind.........

Lone Wolf
06-19-2006, 09:52
So they stayed at The Place more than 2 nights?

TOW
06-19-2006, 09:54
So they stayed at The Place more than 2 nights?and with permission at that............

Preacher Dude
06-19-2006, 15:50
they are leaving this morning sometime, and i don't think they ever met LW. if thay had of they would have been besides themselves i know for sure.....heck far, them little girls would have probably wanted his autographed picture to hang up on their bedroom wall when they got home so they could show their friends what real hiker dudes look like......instead, since i was the next best thing i gave them a signed copy of "minnesotasmith" convincing them that it was me back in my better years..........they were all giggly and telling everyone that would listen....yep ole Lone Wolf missed the chance of becoming a legendary hiking icon in some childs mind.........
That's a shame.....After hiking almost 500 miles those kiddies deserve to meet Lone Wolf. They are a wonderful family ..... I can attest to that.

TOW
06-19-2006, 17:08
That's a shame.....After hiking almost 500 miles those kiddies deserve to meet Lone Wolf. They are a wonderful family ..... I can attest to that.and everyone that hikes with them says the same thing.......

bfitz
06-19-2006, 17:53
If they're so wonderful, what could they have done to deserve to meet LW...?;)

I'll be watchin for them...

ole Lone Wolf .... becoming a legendary hiking icon in some childs mind.........
Scary....

Lone Wolf
06-19-2006, 21:47
I'm a POS unworthy of any accolades. I'm trash.

bfitz
06-19-2006, 22:20
A POS...? Unworthy of any accolades...? I don't know...that beard is pretty impressive.

Lone Wolf
06-19-2006, 22:21
Thanks Fitz, you rock!:D

TOW
06-20-2006, 10:26
I'm a POS unworthy of any accolades. I'm trash.my dear friend, you definetly are not a POS and you are worthy of many accoalades...........but trash? well you and i fall in that category anyway.....that's just the way it is.............

TOW
08-01-2006, 10:03
anyone see the sumari hillbillies?