PDA

View Full Version : 10 essentials -- even on a day hike

Shutterbug
06-16-2006, 15:05
Yesterday, I was in a situation that reminded me once again how important it is to carry the "10 essentials" even on a day hike. I went to Mt. Rainier National Park with the intention of hiking to Pennicle Peak. When I reached the trail head, I found a six foot wall of snow, so I decided to go a little lower on the mountain to hike to Snow Lake. Because it is only 1.5 miles on a well marked trail, I decided to leave my pack in the truck (bad decision).

I have done this hike a number of times during the summer, but this time the trail was completely hidden by snow. Somehow, I got off the trail. I wasn't concerned because I knew I could simply follow my foot prints back. Unfortunately, it started raining and the wind came up. My foot prints were obliterated.

After walking for at least 20 minutes searching for my tracks, I found some tracks that looked just like mine -- same size, same tread and accompanied by pole prints. The only problem was that the prints were pointing the same way I was going. If those were my prints, it meant that I was going in a circle. For a few minutes, I lost my confidence, but remembered my training -- "trust the compass." My SwissGear Poles have a compass in the handle. With the aid of the compass, I found my way out, but I couldn't help but think about how difficult it would have been to spend the night on the mountain with only what I had in my pockets. I wouldn't have died, but it sure would have been uncomfortable.

Next time I will carry the 10 essentials, even on a day hike.

bfitz
06-16-2006, 17:09
Could you list the 10 essentials...?

Shutterbug
06-16-2006, 17:36
Could you list the 10 essentials...?

There are quite a few different versions of the list. One version is from REI:

The 10-Plus Essentials

Map (in a watertight case)
Compass (plus an optional GPS receiver)
Extra clothing (men's, women's, kids')
Extra food and water
First-aid kit
Headlamp or flashlight (with extra batteries)
Matches (storm proof, or in a watertight container)
Fire starter
Knife (or multi-use camp tool)
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Water filter (or other method of water treatment)
Whistle
Food storage device One can argue about what is "essential." For instance, I put less emphasis on food and more on shelter. One can survive a long time without food, but when a storm comes up, shelter is essential. I include one of those "space blankets" on my list.

Just a couple of weeks ago there was an incident here in Washington that brought attention to the need for a whistle. A hiker along the Pacific Coast fell off of a cliff. After more than two days, she was found and rescued because other hikers heard her whistle.

If you are interested in other versions, just type "10 essentials" into Google.

<!--End copy-->

MedicineMan
06-16-2006, 22:20
and to me an 'easy' expedient shelter is one of the most critical items you can carry...
in the CamelBak Hawg there is a Hilleberg BivAnorak and in the GoLite Daypack there is a syl-nylon tube tent made by Moonbow Gear, each is almost instantly deployable.
The other item that is in both my daypacks are 4 of the contractor type garbage bags with too many uses to list but when filled with leaves make a good overquilt that is warm and also make a warm bed to lie on....

the other item in the 10 essentials is not in the pack and not in your brain, its letting someone else know where you are going and when you plan to be back...so if you truly get lost set up your shelter and stay put... I like mainstay food bars but they are heavy but for an inactive person waiting for rescue they'll do the job...

the other item on my list is a small ham radio (Yeasu VX-2R), it weighs 4 oz and I couple it with a 2 ounce j-pole ant (2ounces, but its almost 6 feet long)...on last weeks section hike i hit a repeater 12 miles away and made a contact 20 miles away (and the Cingular service was completely lacking)...

well just my 0.02

MedicineMan
06-16-2006, 22:30
but do you really consider that shelter????

bigcranky
06-16-2006, 23:16
Well, a space blanket can be used to make a water- and wind-resistant lean-to using tree branches in a sheltered location. Sort of a very rough tarp -- it helps if you are carrying some para cord and a knife. Or one can fill a 'space bag' or a trash bag with leaves and climb inside for a primitive sleeping bag. Shelter is probably the most critical first need (well, after oxygen), and it helps to have some idea how to create shelter out of the materials at hand -- supplemented with some choice items in your day pack.

Note that the ten essentials list is far more important for day hikers than for backpackers. A backpacker has a shelter, food, sleeping bag, etc., for the most part.

fiddlehead
06-16-2006, 23:33
I was once stranded out on the mtn (mt taylor in NM) without my pack overnight. That situation taught me a lot about what i wanted to have as 10 essentials vs. what i used to think.
the no. 1 item ( to me) must be a lighter
#2 would be a sleeping bag
#3 water or at least something to carry it in as i can at least find some if i have enough time
#4 shelter (even if it's just a space blanket to rig a lean to if it rains)
#5 food
All the rest of the stuff: first aid, compass, map, whistle,flashlight, knife,sunglasses, etc. are things that didn't cross my mind at all when i was out there freezing my butt off. The 1st thing i did was gather as much firewood as i possibly could before it got dark. then i tried to dig in around the fire but the ground was frozen and it was tough. If i had to list more than the 5 i really missed above, the next thing would be a cooking pot: both to melt snow and to eat if i would have any food. (or make tea or coffee)
YOu guys can carry sunscreen and whistles and sunglasses, headlamp, water filter and that stuff, but be carefull what you wish for on your top 10 items. ( i dont' even carry any of that on a thru-hike)
Warmth is a big priority when your out there. (especially at night)

MedicineMan
06-16-2006, 23:49
i've got a cooking pot (though small) in a bag on the back of my pfd...good idea fiddlehead!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-17-2006, 00:47
Fiddlehead, excellent thoughts on the subject.

The contractor trash bags mentioned by Medicine Man also make a lot of sense because of the many uses they have. With four of those I could easily make a 'quilt', insulating under pad and a small waterproof shelter.

I always carry a poncho that can be used as a tarp in a emergency. It is about 2' longer than I am tall and 52" wide. The male dino also carries one so we could use it as a ground cloth over leaves / duff for insulation.

We were up in the Smokies hiking several years ago when the temp dropped rapidly and a blizzard blew in. The temp had been in the low 70's in the valley so we were not dressed for the storm. I was able to rig our ponchos into a warmth preserving shelter during the storm. We stuffed our shirts and pants with dry pine needles (found under the fir trees) for warmth on the hike down - itched like crazy, but it worked.

MedicineMan
06-17-2006, 03:39
small spool of floss and small coil of brass wire...
I also keep one of these:
http://www.equipped.com/psp/index.htm
in the daypack and in the pfd...i've augmented it with a 5 day round of Levaquin, 10 Toradol, and my BP meds......

SGT Rock
06-17-2006, 04:24
Well there are the base 10 essentials, but as it has been pointed out, there is a little wiggle room based on when and where. Like I wouldn't want sunglasses and sunscreen if I were going cross country in Germany in wintertime, there just isn't a need. But I may want a bivy and bag just in case I got caught out overnight in bad weather.

And as I have said before, from my experience doing some search and rescue a whistle noise isn't a great way to be found, sounds too much like some natural bird noises especially when at a distance and with echos. I prefer if someone bangs metal on metal.

Ridge
06-17-2006, 11:24
I didn't see a CELL PHONE listed. The concentration of cell signals have gotten so dense everywhere in the US that, instead of PLB (which may or may not work, and you may not even know it) you may want to carry one, its probably a 50% chance you'll get a signal. I know a lot of folks are anti-cell, I'm one too when it comes to people using them like they do back here in Hellivilization in front of everyone and not strictly for emergency use or when no-one is around. I would never assume you'll get a signal, and remember, coverage areas among cell providers varies wildly.