PDA

View Full Version : Billville Hiker Feed

StarLyte
06-17-2006, 10:49
What's the scoop on the hiker feed in PA?? Jester? Chomp? :confused:
Marsha

Wonder
06-17-2006, 17:11
Yeah, I wanna help out......can be there around the 5th and stay through the feed. I'm coming back on trail there after a stay at home in pa, so I can do some prep work....let me know!

neighbor dave
06-17-2006, 17:28
:-? Our plans this year include these meals:
> Friday all afternoon and early evening: Sausage Medley, Dinner Rols,
> Tortelinni Casserole, Chips and Dips
> Saturday Breakfast - Sausage Gravy and Bisquits
> Saturday Lunch - Pig Roast, Baked Beans, Corn on the Cob, Potato Salad with
> veggies & a Tofu carved pig for the vegetarians! We need an artist from the
> group to accomplish the idea for the Tofu Pig...So please let Mary know!
> Saturday evening - Tacos, Chili, Bustace's Crab Chowder, Peanut Butter Soup
> Sunday Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs, Home Fries, Bacon, French Toast Sticks
>
> Activities Plannned Are:
> Friday Evening Entertainment - 2 AT related movies; musical entertainment to
> be determined
> Saturday Daylight - Hiker Olympics to include Leki Pole Throw, AT Obstacle
> Course, Snicker Bar Speed Eating Contest (If anyone has any more ideas for
> the Hiker Olympics contact Jester)
> Saturday Daylight Entertainment - Band
> Saturday Evening Entertainment - 2 more Hiker related Movies
> Saturday Night - Sue Grace and the Bad Mommy Band will be performing at the
> Doyle
>
> Hope to see you all there. JULY 7,8,9:sun

trailangelmary
06-18-2006, 20:32
Hi All,
The list above is from an email I sent. It shows the plan for the food. I have got a lot of food donations from businesses in town and a few cash donations from locals. However, more funds are needed or the menu will have to be adjusted. You can contact me if you are willing.
Bag of Tricks is working on the Obstacle Course contest which will be The At in 10 minutes or less. I just read his email which describes it. It is going to be great.
I am not sure where I am getting a dvd projector yet. Please let me know if anyone can bring one.
If any outfitters out there would like to donate a prize for the hiker obstacle course that would be greatly appreciated.
A lot of food preparation will be done from July 2 to the 6 as I would like to have all the food prepared ahead of time and then just reheated to serve. That preparation will be made at my home and/or in one of the kitchens where I work. I live above the Pub (2 Ann St.) Come on up.
I am excited but getting a little nervous because time is ticking away!
:banana
Love to all,
P.S. Takoma Ted, if you read this, can you come to perform?

Sly
06-18-2006, 20:58
Where's Billville? :p

StarLyte
06-18-2006, 22:54
Hello everyone-
Mary I sent you a private message.
I also forwarded your posting to Takoma Tedd.
Marsha
"StarLyte"

trailangelmary
06-20-2006, 21:26
Billville is a group not a place. It started with a group of hikers of the class of 2000. It has grown to include a large group that loves the hiking community. Jester is the "Mayor" of Billville. If you have the right state of mind you can be a member, too!! Ha! Ha!
The Billville shirts currently read:
Annoying and confusing the humorless since 2000!

StarLyte
06-21-2006, 11:20
A DVD projector is needed for the Billville Hiker Feed!!!

I am bringing the following DVDs to view:

Lion King's "Walking With Freedom"
Weathercarrots' Productions
Billville Winter Warmer March 2006 - just a few clips - in MPEG format
......and miscellaneous DVDs and slideshows you will want to see

Please make it happen.

If you don't want to post here, email Trail Angel Mary or myself privately-thanks.

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2006, 10:37
I'm writing from Waynesboro.....lots of folks zeroing today as it's supposed to get up to around 95 by noon.

The buzz on the Duncannon weekend is very strong on the Trail and I think the turnout is going to be tremendous; in fact we may get more folks than we originally planned.

I hope lots of Whiteblaze folks drop by for any or all of the weekend, but if you do, I hope some of you might consider helping out. If you know fer sure that you're coming, you might want to write trailangelmary a note to see if there's anything she might need. Or you may just want to bring something small with you.....good ideas are drinks, snacks, chips, ice, fruit, etc. Or check in with Mary, Jester, Trix, or me when you arrive in town to see if there's anything we may need or anticipate running out of.

We're hoping for a tremendous weekend, but it may turn out to be a bigger event than we first anticipated. Hope to see lots of you there, and thanx in advance to anyone who wants to give us a hand.

Alligator
06-22-2006, 12:18
I'll see you all on Sat. night.

Stonewall
06-22-2006, 12:58
Uh.... Who, What, Where, When, Why, How? Im curious, Im new, can someone please fill me in :D Thank you !

wilconow
06-22-2006, 13:06
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9825

Lone Wolf
06-22-2006, 13:11
Billville and associates DID NOT serve alcohol at last years feed in Duncannon. It won't be served this year either. The young man that was killed made adult choices and decisions. It had nothing to do with Billville.

Stonewall
06-22-2006, 13:40
Doh sorry, I wasn't asking about the tragedy. I was asking about the Hiker Feed I don't know anything about it and since it is in PA I figured it might be benificial and informative for me. ... If im allowed :)

Lone Wolf
06-22-2006, 13:43
Course you're allowed. Bring something to add to the feast.

Stonewall
06-22-2006, 13:46
I still need to know who what where when why how? lol. Or at least where and when.

Alligator
06-22-2006, 14:00
The dates are on the homepage on the right:) .

Cheesewhiz
06-22-2006, 14:25
OOOH OOOH OOOH can I come, can I come? J/K, I will denfiniately be there. I am currently at the ATC in Harpers Ferry so I will probably have to hitch back to Duncannon.

MOWGLI
06-22-2006, 14:33
Bravo! Trail Angel Mary! Have a good one and (most importantly) a safe one.

trailangelmary
06-22-2006, 14:43
THIS IS BAG O TRICKS PLAN FOR THE OBSTACLE COURSE

Here is my take on, "SPRINGER to KATAHDIN in 10 minutes or less, MAYBE"

The "HIKE" (OBSTACLE COURSE) will have monitors or Trail Angels (really Billville volunteers) to mantain stations and assist with stunts.

The Hikers/Contestants must do the entire course with their backpacks on, containing, so far, only their sleeping bag, a miniture snickers bar, 16oz bottle of water and a 10 pound bag of sand.
I'll supply the miniture snickers bars, bottled water, and 10lb. bags of sand. Do they have a sand box at the park?

NOTE: At various points along the course water guns and baloons will be trained on participants by spectators representing
unexpected storms.

The "START"
1 - SPRINGER & HIKER CHECK/SIGN- IN - Contestants must sign register, take off pack, eat dinner (snickers bar) and hydrate (drink water), and
sleep (get into your sleeping bag zip up count to ten outloud, unzip bag, squeel like a pig, put pack on and continue your journey through GA.
2 - "Ah"! , NEEL GAP - Contestants take the 10 lb bag of sand out of their pack, but pick-up new piece of gear (yet to be determined) then yell,
"I hear Banjo Music" and continue their hike into NC/TN and the Smokies.
NOTE: The ten pound bag of sand will be used later in to represent 10lbs of food for the "100 mile wilderness"
3 - "TREAT THAT BLISTER - Contestants STOP apply a bandaid to any part of their body or take off a shoe / boot and apply to foot, it must stay on
the entire course, they can use duct use duct tape if necessary to secure it.
4 - SMOKEY'S IN THE SPRING - Contestants run across a bed of ice and dry ice (for fog).
Mary do you know of anyone who may be willing to donate ice or that has an Ice business or machine maybe the fire house?
5 - "PUDS" - Contestants run up and down the park steps, hill, or bank, representing the Pointless Ups & DownS or "PUDS" for the entire trip.
(This can be done any number of times throuhout the course)
5.5 KINCORA - we need something with trail building here
6 - "WELCOME to DAMASCUS" - Contestants get sprayed with water guns. We need water guns
7 - FEED THE WILD PONY - Contestants STOP, pickup a carrot, pet and offer carrot to a wild pony in the Grayson Highlands.
I have a fake horse head I''ll bring, all we need is a bag of carrots.
8 - "VIRGINIA BLUES" -contestants will run across the entire length of the Park simulating the never ending hike through VA,
9 - ATC Headquaters in Harpers Ferry WVA, Contestants STOP, print their Trail Name and # and have their picture taken, by ATC volunteer.
10- The "HALF GALLON CHALLENGE"- Hikers take off pack sit at table and eat a spoonful of ice cream out of container. We'll need a table and
chairs and a to buy a couple tubs of ice cream and plastic spoons.
Are you laughing yet?
11. - ROCK & ROLL your ankles that is. Contestants walk over a dozen or so rocks - representing PA/NJ/NY Maybe stop and drink a small cup full
of beer -representing all the bars on the way.
12 - "BEWARE OF BEAR" - Contestants STOP, must throw rope & carabiner over designated pole / branch hook up and raise pack to top,
then lower, unhook pack and continue journey. (I'll supply carabiners and rope for this).
13 - WEB BREAKING - Contestants must duck under or avoid spyder web(s) we'll use the lowered volleyball net or get silly string for this.
14 - STYLE CLIMBING - Contestants must climb over a style - (ladder over a fence) - We need about six "two by fours" to make the style.
15 - PUNCHEONS, ROOTS & BIG ROCKS - Contestants walk over a slippery bog bridge (we make), avoid roots - sections of rope anchored in
ground, climb over big boulders, any large obstacle(s) in park. We need around about (6 )"two by fours" and a long piece 10 or 12'ft length of
2'' by 12'' to make the style and bog bridges see if anyone can donate , Jimmy at The Doyle
16 - "THE 100 MILE WILDERNESS" - Contestants STOP, put 10 pound sand bag back into thier pack, representing food suppy for wilderness.
17 - STREAM CROSSING - Contestants take off shoes / boots (maybe) or just run through a small water filled infaltable swimming pool.
18 - SUMMIT KATAHDIN - Contestants climb rock wall or run up park hill /steps and back down for finish.
Wildware Outfiitters may donate climbing wall.

HITCHING A RIDE - I don't have an idea for that yet.

NOTE Contestants must finish with snickers bar wrapper, empty bottle of water, sleeping bag, and the 10 pound bag of sand in their
baclkpack and the bandaid on their body. There will be time deducted (TBD) for any missing items.

Butch Cassidy
06-22-2006, 14:54
Good Job Trail Angel Mary! I am working nights 7th 8th and 9th in West Chester Pa. but I will drive up for some of the days activity. I might even get a night off since I sometimes get a fever (Springer type) Maybe I can be of assistance. Butch Cassidy GA/ME 07 (Paladin GA/ME 05):cool:

Singe03
06-22-2006, 16:54
Holy heck that sounds like total fun...

NOTE: At various points along the course water guns and baloons will be trained on participants by spectators representing
unexpected storms.

You could use firehoses along the entire first half of the AT to simulate 2003 thrus :-)

bfitz
06-22-2006, 17:05
I resent the "Beware of Bear" portion of the obstacle course, there is no need to denigrate that noble species for the amusement of the crowd...I am, however, psyched that I will be able to tie one on at the pub and at the Doyle! (in a responsible fashion, of course, as always....) Two of my favorite watering holes on the AT !!!

Singe03
06-22-2006, 17:07
Residing in the southern Appalachians, I resent the "I hear banjo music." implication concerning the obstacle course.

I thoroughly enjoyed the banjo music I heard at several points along the AT in North Carolina and find that part of the event to be a very fitting reminder of pleasant times in the past, I therefore demand it be kept in!

Amigi'sLastStand
06-23-2006, 21:30
Since I am moving back to FL soon, I thought I could leave NJ and head here, then stay for the three before driving down. Only problem is, since my wife and I just reconciled, is that my anniversary is on the 7th. Damn, sure makes you question your priorities. Gonna have to give this one lots of thought. I have really been wanting to meet many of you and was sure I would on my hike. My casts come off next Tues, so I'll be good to walk around. I hope my wife understands.

StarLyte
06-23-2006, 21:50
Since I am moving back to FL soon, I thought I could leave NJ and head here, then stay for the three before driving down. Only problem is, since my wife and I just reconciled, is that my anniversary is on the 7th. Damn, sure makes you question your priorities. Gonna have to give this one lots of thought. I have really been wanting to meet many of you and was sure I would on my hike. My casts come off next Tues, so I'll be good to walk around. I hope my wife understands.

Well Amigi, you're just going to have to tell her that you need to be around your lesbian redneck friends. I doubt if she'll be at all jealous. Tell her that you'll be fed real good too. She'll like that. :D
I wouldn't mention going to the Doyle.
Marsha

TJ aka Teej
06-23-2006, 22:12
We're hoping for a tremendous weekend, but it may turn out to be a bigger event than we first anticipated.

Thanks to all the Billvillians who provide postive energy and support each year to so many AT hikers, friends, and family. Thanks Jack, and everyone involved!

Amigi'sLastStand
06-23-2006, 23:23
lesbian redneck friends

I'm suddenly turned on.:D

Amigi'sLastStand
06-25-2006, 15:06
Alright, looks like an 80% chance I'm coming. Stoked.

Wonder
06-25-2006, 15:08
Looks like I may not be able to go......we'll see

Sly
06-25-2006, 21:35
Why do I see 11 blank posts (except for sigs) by various members between #'s 24 & 25?

Sly
06-25-2006, 21:37
and a blank post by Warren between posts 21 and 22? strange...

MOWGLI
06-25-2006, 21:39
Why do I see 11 blank posts (except for sigs) by various members between #'s 24 & 25?

Deleted posts. Another back & forth between the usual suspects.

Nokia
06-25-2006, 21:41
Deleted posts. Another back & forth between the usual suspects.

There were a few posts deleted.

Nokia
06-25-2006, 21:41
Opps sorry meant to quote Sly.

Amigi'sLastStand
06-25-2006, 21:42
Hmm, I dont see any blank posts. Then again, I have my tin foil hat on.

Alligator
06-25-2006, 21:47
Sly what browser are you using? I don't see the blanks either. I know they were there...

Sly
06-25-2006, 21:55
hmmm I'm using Firefox. Still there, still black except for sig and titles. I can't believe they all got deleted.

So there's a message there if you want to get your point across when the censors are out. Just add a title.

Ewker
06-25-2006, 21:55
There were a few posts deleted.

yep, attroll, said he deleted a few post

Amigi'sLastStand
06-25-2006, 23:18
hmmm I'm using Firefox. Still there, still black except for sig and titles. I can't believe they all got deleted.

So there's a message there if you want to get your point across when the censors are out. Just add a title.
If attroll deleted it, considering how much he lets us get away with, it needed to be deleted. Nuff said.

Sly
06-25-2006, 23:31
If attroll deleted it, considering how much he lets us get away with, it needed to be deleted. Nuff said.

OK, bud. I'll ask Jack when I see him in person...

StarLyte
06-25-2006, 23:34
guess this means I won't get to post all of the pictures I take at the hiker feed either. Unless I use my photo editing software program again. :D

Sly
06-25-2006, 23:37
Looks like the blank posts are totally deleted now. Now if they could only do that with those on the "ignored list"

Sly
06-25-2006, 23:38
guess this means I won't get to post all of the pictures I take at the hiker feed either. Unless I use my photo editing software program again. :D

LOL... could have fun with photo editing software!

attroll
06-26-2006, 13:11
I would not do that unless they was absolutely in bad taste. I have never seen you post anything like that StarLyte.

StarLyte
06-26-2006, 13:20
I would not do that unless they was absolutely in bad taste. I have never seen you post anything like that StarLyte.

I'm just kidding. I did have to edit this photo because there was no liquor allowed and I didn't want to get these guys in trouble. It's behind the clock. :D

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9886&catid=searchresults&searchid=3809

attroll
06-26-2006, 13:32
I'm just kidding. I did have to edit this photo because there was no liquor allowed and I didn't want to get these guys in trouble. It's behind the clock. :D

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9886&catid=searchresults&searchid=3809

Nice edit. It took me a minute to realize you used the clock for an edit.

trailangelmary
06-26-2006, 19:02
OK, let's forget the Whiteblaze fireworks (even if they sure were called for).....let's think about other things. Everything's falling into shape for Duncannon, there are still some odds and ends and stuff we can still use. If you're planning on being here, and I hope you do, please feel free to get in touch before you leave home to see what we may need, last minute stuff, whatever. Thanks in advance! See you guys soon.

Best way to reach me is a private message here at WB.

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2006, 20:00
Geez, I've been in the woods hiking for awhile and missed all this. Sorry that stuff was deleted, I didn't realize at the time it was that inflammatory. i actually thought it was kinda tame. All I did was call Warren Doyle a has-been, pitiful, gutless, whiny, horse's fundament. As well as tell Max Patch that his comments about our up-coming hiker event in Duncannon were unkind, as well as thoughtless, and ultimately, worthless.

If website administrators and others would prefer that I do this sorta thing in person instead of here, I'll be more than happy to do so. Max, whoever he is, doesn't show up at most hiker events, and Warren repeatedly threatens to boycott them, and won't be at the ALDHA Gathering in October (unless he's a bald-faced liar as well as a coward) but believe me, if I have the opportunity to dress these folks down face to face instead of on the Internet I'll happily do it.

Sliming people on the Internet takes merely a few seconds.

Confronting people face to face and telling them the same things requires a certain fortitude that not all of these folks are not capable of.

But I'd surely love to be there when they do.

Oh. And if this post also gets deleted, I'd like to see a statement as to why.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2006, 20:02
Are you drinking as we type? I am. A fine $8 merlot. Drinking and typing will get you deleted.:D

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2006, 20:10
Nope. Sober as a judge, and I meant it just as I did last time. Anything worth saying is worth saying twice.

Fine eight dollar merlots? Geez, you really ARE from Rhode Island.

In Boston, at least, we have standards.

Skidsteer
06-26-2006, 20:12
Nope. Sober as a judge,

Sober as a judge? Gawd help us.

Please tell me you saved a copy of that post, Jack. ??

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2006, 20:17
Geez. Wish I'd saved the one that was deleted a few days back.

It was much better written, long overdue, and needless to say, all true.

But I think most of us know that.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2006, 20:20
Sober as a judge? Gawd help us.

Please tell me you saved a copy of that post, Jack. ??
He's used to Boston judges. They're all drunken Irish sots.:)

StarLyte
06-26-2006, 20:58
I love you radical free-thinkin long haired bearded-or-not hiker trash rebels :D

Lone Wolf are you drinkin Alice White? Is that what you brought to the SORuck? It was delicious.

Yes it was long overdue Jack. I think you handled that quite intelligently. I've seen you debate publicly too.

Yes it was fireworks Mary.

Yes, let's focus on the hiker feed. And spread love. :banana

yeah right

Lone Wolf
06-26-2006, 21:02
I love you radical free-thinkin long haired bearded-or-not hiker trash rebels :D

Lone Wolf are you drinkin Alice White? Is that what you brought to the SORuck? It was delicious.

Yes it was long overdue Jack. I think you handled that quite intelligently. I've seen you debate publicly too.

Yes it was fireworks Mary.

Yes, let's focus on the hiker feed. And spread love. :banana

yeah right
Nope. Yellow Tail. Aussie stuff. Damn good for the price.

Wonder
06-26-2006, 23:14
Yellow Tail.....too "Jam" like for my taste......just kidding. Go for the white stuff myself. I"m Chardonnay typing!

Stonewall
06-27-2006, 00:07
Nope. Yellow Tail. Aussie stuff. Damn good for the price.

Yellow Tail.....too "Jam" like for my taste......just kidding. Go for the white stuff myself. I"m Chardonnay typing!
:( You guys are makin me thirsty unfortantly the state stores are closed right now.. Gess I'll have to pick up a bottle tomorrow:D

StarLyte
06-28-2006, 07:33
I am in need of several alcohol stoves - homemade or whatever - that anyone wants to donate - I need about 5-7. Also, any windscreens, grills, accessories to go with them would be appreciated. This is for a group of kids.

Would you bring it to the Billville Hiker Feed for me?

Thanks-
Marsha

bfitz
06-28-2006, 22:49
I am in need of several alcohol stoves - homemade or whatever - that anyone wants to donate - I need about 5-7. Also, any windscreens, grills, accessories to go with them would be appreciated. This is for a group of kids.

Would you bring it to the Billville Hiker Feed for me?

Thanks-
Marsha
Get the kids to make their own! It's real easy...

Wonder
06-29-2006, 00:41
Cool........will someone teach me?

BooBoo
06-29-2006, 01:11

If Warren Doyle said it the post probably needed deleting anyway.

bfitz
06-29-2006, 03:52
Cool........will someone teach me?
We'll do a workshop....

StarLyte
06-29-2006, 06:49
We'll do a workshop....

I haven't a clue how to make them.

Yes I know there are instructional websites.:rolleyes:

I'm just saying if you have any laying around and you're not using them, bring them.

SawnieRobertson
06-29-2006, 08:47
Y'all are going to have sooooo much fun!

Enjoy!

Kinnickinic

WalkinHome
06-29-2006, 19:45
What's the scoop? Is the "Billville Feed" going to be flooded out? Hearing/reading some ominous stuff about PA and too much water. Off to Nahmakanta Lake with Janice this weekend, eat your heart out. Will think of you all while looking at Big "K" from Nesuntabunt Mountain. See you at the "feed".

StarLyte
06-29-2006, 20:05
What's the scoop? Is the "Billville Feed" going to be flooded out? Hearing/reading some ominous stuff about PA and too much water. Off to Nahmakanta Lake with Janice this weekend, eat your heart out. Will think of you all while looking at Big "K" from Nesuntabunt Mountain. See you at the "feed".

Hell or high water I'll be there. :banana

See you soon.

bfitz
06-29-2006, 22:46
I haven't a clue how to make them.

Yes I know there are instructional websites.:rolleyes:

I'm just saying if you have any laying around and you're not using them, bring them.
Okay, I'll show ya, it only takes a coupla minutes. We'll have to drink a few beers first to scavenge materials. The website's intstructions over complicate it anyway...

StarLyte
06-29-2006, 23:05
Okay, I'll show ya, it only takes a coupla minutes. We'll have to drink a few beers first to scavenge materials. The website's intstructions over complicate it anyway...

You got it. See ya next week.

Lugnut
06-29-2006, 23:19
If Warren Doyle said it the post probably needed deleting anyway.

Probably one of the dumbest statements I've ever seen posted here. :confused:

trailangelmary
06-30-2006, 16:01
Water is receding fast. Creeks are passable now. Feed is on. See you there

warren doyle
06-30-2006, 16:35
The first one of my posts to be edited out. It had no profanity, no name-calling, no rascist/sexist remarks, no unpatriotic statements, no religion- bashing, no bullying, no physical threats; but, I guess it was too close to the truth. I guess knowledge is power.

As a southern Appalachian/highlander, I still disapprove of the negative, dehumanizing, stereotypical implications of "Squeal like a pig" and "I hear banjo music" being contained in trailangelmary's description of the obstacle course.

Happy edited trails!

Jack Tarlin
06-30-2006, 17:25
"Appalachian highlander?"

Geez, I thought most of the road and van access on the Trail was down lower, and not in the highlands.

And if "knowledge is power" then you're a weak and powerless man indeed.

And seeing you demand respect for not making "unpatriotic" remarks" is also a ridiculous joke.....yeah, you're right. As long as wise and prudent people keep you from making an ass out of yourself when armed with an open microphone, or when they wisely deny you a seat on the Board of a legitimate hiking organization, you're limitied in making unpatriotic remarks, or at least limited in where you can make them, or how many folks you can offend in the process. But if want thanks for not making them here at Whiteblaze, you're barking up the wrong tree, puppy.

neighbor dave
06-30-2006, 17:25
The first one of my posts to be edited out. It had no profanity, no name-calling, no rascist/sexist remarks, no unpatriotic statements, no religion- bashing, no bullying, no physical threats; but, I guess it was too close to the truth. I guess knowledge is power.

As a southern Appalachian/highlander, I still disapprove of the negative, dehumanizing, stereotypical implications of "Squeal like a pig" and "I hear banjo music" being contained in trailangelmary's description of the obstacle course.

Happy edited trails!

:-? boo hoo hoo, get a life:bse

bfitz
06-30-2006, 17:33
There will actually be banjo music! Played by real authentic hillbillies! And guitar! Fiddling, even! And we'll be eatin BBQ, so...fade to bluegrass...

Skidsteer
06-30-2006, 18:15

Happy edited trails!

Warren,

The "I hear banjo music" is inspired from a T-shirt. In full, it reads: "Hike faster. I hear banjo music." It can be positive or negative.

The implication is that the hiker(s) saying this are eager to arrive at the place where the banjo music is being played, or eager to escape from the place where the banjo music is being played.

It depends on your perspective.

ed bell
06-30-2006, 22:46
James Dickey was a Poet Laureate and read his poetry at President Carter's Inauguration. Thanks to the Billville Hiker Feed for recognizing a True American Literary Hero.:sun

dixicritter
07-01-2006, 01:00
OK Folks time to settle down. There are new reasons besides just profanity that will get posts deleted from the site now, and those reasons can be located here... http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement

I encourage everyone to take the time to read this and to please try to follow the general rules. I thank you in advance for your co-operation.

Lone Wolf
07-01-2006, 08:18
Is there gonna be a watermelon eatin contest? Any black folf in Duncannon? Might as well invite all cultures.

MOWGLI
07-01-2006, 09:44
Is there gonna be a watermelon eatin contest? Any black folf in Duncannon? Might as well invite all cultures.

Drunk at 8 AM? :-? What else could account for this dumb comment? :confused:

Nokia
07-01-2006, 09:44

Happy edited trails!

Not going to post what I did last time. But maybe, Warren, the reason the original post was deleted was because you patronized someone's death. By comparing the death of my friend Packstock to a reference to banjo music in the obstacle course, I think you may have pushed the envelope of bad taste. Although you live in the south and the reference to banjo music may offend you, it's an almost universal (at least in the U.S.) reference that wasn't started at some hiker feed. I know you'll probably say that you were just trying to make a point, but it was in incredible poor taste.
I used to tell people that my conversation at the Place last year with you was one of the things that kept me on the trail. In truth it was, and I thank you for that. But because of your incredible insensative remarks, I have lost all respect for you. As someone who is an AT "legend" maybe you should consider your remarks a little more before you type them up.

max patch
07-01-2006, 10:03
At least he didn't use the "N" word this time.

Lone Wolf
07-01-2006, 10:40
Banjos and such. Don't assume either.

SGT Rock
07-01-2006, 11:28
Good grief. Ya'll need to take a breath and count to ten before you post. I ain't seen so many deleted posts in such a quick time in years.

How about using the ignore button if a person pisses you off so much. Seems like confronting someone only makes it worse sometimes - sort of a feed the troll situation.

Lugnut
07-01-2006, 13:54
What else could account for this dumb comment? :confused:

Doesn't it seem that the Billville elite are given a lot more slack than the regular members? :confused:

bfitz
07-01-2006, 15:13
...the Billville elite.....
Bwaahahahahaha!:D

TOW
07-01-2006, 23:22
Probably one of the dumbest statements I've ever seen posted here. :confused:i second your opinion....

TOW
07-01-2006, 23:37
whether i agree with someones point of view or not, we as a community of appalachian trail enthusiastes are all peas in the same pod....a little banter on anothers post is one thing, but when it gets us into a fight then it is time to get offline and meet up somewhere and hash it out.....or we can just simply forgive the offending party and move on......forgiveness, what a concept........think about what i'm telling ya here because man i know for a fact this life is too short to hold onto resentments and opinions that create resentments in others.......as we grow we should realize that we were given only a certain amount of time for life on this earth.....and in my opinion time has more value than money.....how you spend that time will tell as you age where your values lay....

ask that soldier in iraq about what means the most to him right now and i'll bet you will never hear about his argument he had with his old buddy back home....

Lugnut
07-02-2006, 00:15
You are wise beyond your years. Life's too short to be taken seriously! :)

Amigi'sLastStand
07-02-2006, 02:41
...think about what i'm telling ya here because man i know for a fact this life is too short to hold onto resentments and opinions that create resentments in others...

So do I, and I agree. This is a thread for the Billville Hiker feed, and I keep coming here to read anything new. And what do I find? All this BS. Find another thread to fight on. I've had enough.

neighbor dave
07-02-2006, 09:17
Life's too short to be taken seriously! :)
:-? fo sho!!! it's only temporary!!:D

SGT Rock
07-02-2006, 12:04
ask that soldier in iraq about what means the most to him right now and i'll bet you will never hear about his argument he had with his old buddy back home....

In my case it is sometimes the regret I let the argument get in the way.

bfitz
07-02-2006, 16:19
I love a good argument. It stinks so many let it get personal just as I'm about to win....:D

Lone Wolf
07-06-2006, 06:55
...To Son's Last Hours
www.pennlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news/115206272378010.xml?pennnews&coll=1

mrc237
07-06-2006, 07:34
Appalachian/Highlander---------BRILLIANT!!!!---Y-awl

SedentarySteve
07-06-2006, 08:12
Trail Angel Mary's puter is on the fritz. Obtained a schedule from Mary at The Pub and scanned it. Mary, Jack, Peace Frog and other Billvilleans were busy with food preparation (mess cookin') last evening. The weather forecast for the next several days in Duncannon is relatively cool, clear and sunny!
Sedentary Steve

Newb
07-06-2006, 10:08
I won't be there, but I got a couple of thruhikers excited when I mentioned it to them (Just south of Harper's) on the 3rd. So...say hello to 6-Pack and Manifesto for me if you see them there.

chomp
07-06-2006, 11:52
I'm officially out for this weekend. Have a great time, everyone!

Amigi'sLastStand
07-06-2006, 18:10
Count me out too. With all this rain, I havent worked in the last week. I got a job painting some houses, and no work, no $$$.

Lone Wolf
07-06-2006, 22:57
...To Son's Last Hours
www.pennlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news/115206272378010.xml?pennnews&coll=1
Nobody here can help this lady out?

chomp
07-06-2006, 23:45
Nobody here can help this lady out?

Sounds like Kenny, the man featured in the story, had a history of drinking problems. Its unfortunate, but so often those who have issues with alcohol end up victims of their disease. It can be progressive, and it can get worse quickly if not dealt with. I can only hope that his mother can find peace with what happened and be able to move on. The truth is that nobody here can help her out, since he left the bar alone after the police let him go.

A-Train
07-07-2006, 00:24
Drunk at 8 AM? :-? What else could account for this dumb comment? :confused:

I think he's been hanging out with Fuzzy Zoeller too much on the golf course

Nokia
07-07-2006, 01:35
Sounds like Kenny, the man featured in the story, had a history of drinking problems. Its unfortunate, but so often those who have issues with alcohol end up victims of their disease. It can be progressive, and it can get worse quickly if not dealt with. I can only hope that his mother can find peace with what happened and be able to move on. The truth is that nobody here can help her out, since he left the bar alone after the police let him go.

Maybe we could all try to take the focus off of HOW Justin (not Kenny. Kenny is his last name) died and stop speculating on his personal life and problems. The facts are Justin was at the Doyle, was asked to leave, went off alone, and there was a terrible accident and now he's gone. The hiker community lost a member, some of us lost a friend, and his mother lost a son. Nobody can help by telling his mother what happened after he left the Doyle, but some of us can help her by relaying good memories of him while he was on the trail.
I would hope if any of us were to die, the rest here would show some of the "hiker community support" that we all like to gush about and do our best to help the folks that are hurt the most.

Uncle Silly
07-07-2006, 02:42
I thoroughly enjoyed the banjo music I heard at several points along the AT in North Carolina and find that part of the event to be a very fitting reminder of pleasant times in the past, I therefore demand it be kept in!

Hmmm.... I haven't read thru the thread yet, but if no one else has spoken up, I suppose I'll be bringin' a banjo....

:banana

Fofer
07-07-2006, 10:50
I have been watching this thread hoping I'd be able to come this weekend but unfortunately I have my Godson's birthday party so both Beakerr and I won't be there. Have fun everyone. I'm sorry I'm going to miss it and the Banjo music... I was looking forward to it.:banana

Fofer

MOWGLI
07-07-2006, 10:58
Nobody can help by telling his mother what happened after he left the Doyle........

Actually, based on the recent news story, I think his mother would disagree. Concerned individuals - including Justin's friends should be respectful of his family's wishes.

Wishing everyone a happy and SAFE time in Duncannon this weekend.

Miss Janet
07-07-2006, 11:42
Will anyone be picking up hikers south of Duncannon???

I know of at least a few that are trying to get there that are hitching towards Pine Grove Furnace if someone can give them a ride.

Jack Tarlin
07-07-2006, 14:29
Yes. Jester, the Dude, and I will be heading down there later this afternoon and perhaps again tomorrow morning.

Otherwise, people can put their thumb out, it's not hard.

Nokia
07-07-2006, 15:16
Actually, based on the recent news story, I think his mother would disagree. Concerned individuals - including Justin's friends should be respectful of his family's wishes.

Wishing everyone a happy and SAFE time in Duncannon this weekend.

My point was that nobody knows. If Anyone does, then yes i think they should step forward and talk to her. To the best of my knowledge nobody saw him after he left the Doyle.

Beyond that, I agree. I think the hiker feed is something that A LOT of hikers are looking forward to and I hope everyone has a great and safe time in Duncannon. I particularly look forward to watching the obsticle course Tricks has concocted. :D
:banana Here's to hoping everyone has a great time!!!:banana

StarLyte
07-07-2006, 23:05
They are here for the Hiker Feed now-got a ride from trail angels.

Will anyone be picking up hikers south of Duncannon???

I know of at least a few that are trying to get there that are hitching towards Pine Grove Furnace if someone can give them a ride.

SedentarySteve
07-08-2006, 07:55
Mary fretted last evening that Billville may have prepared too much food. And the pig roast is this (Sat.) afternoon. Recognize anyone in the attached photo from Friday at the Billville Feed?

StarLyte
07-08-2006, 22:47
Mary fretted last evening that Billville may have prepared too much food. And the pig roast is this (Sat.) afternoon. Recognize anyone in the attached photo from Friday at the Billville Feed?

Every morsel of that pig was eaten, with the exception of the cigarette and the head.

The only leftovers were actually boxes of donuts that a good friend brought by---and I'm sure that will be history very soon.

But then, there were the crumbs on the floor :D

Lone Wolf, where are you?

Lone Wolf
07-09-2006, 10:14
Every morsel of that pig was eaten, with the exception of the cigarette and the head.

The only leftovers were actually boxes of donuts that a good friend brought by---and I'm sure that will be history very soon.

But then, there were the crumbs on the floor :D

Lone Wolf, where are you?
I'm at home where I belong.

Wonder
07-09-2006, 16:45
Billville was a blast........ The best part was seeing so many people that I have not seen since trail days!!!! IT's been 6 weeks off trail.....but i"m back!!!!! It was great seeing everyone....and trail angel Mary is truly a trail goddess!!! Thank you!

Stonewall
07-09-2006, 19:13
Lone Wolf I met the guys and gals from Billville this weekend (A great bunch I must say). Tricks was dissapointed that you and "Fat Boy" didn't make it up. Hope to see you at the Gathering. For all of you who didn't make it It's a darn shame. The food was excellent, the stories were great, and the people were awsome.

Fofer
07-10-2006, 10:33
I'm glad everyone hatd a good time I'm sorry I missed it.

StarLyte
07-10-2006, 11:09
The hiker feed was a total success. The weather was perfect.

I want to personally thank Trail Angel Mary for the unseen work that was performed, Baltimore Jack worked his A$$ off in the kitchen cooking at Mary's. It was HOT as HECK in there and he cooked for 2 days straight. He's not going to tell you that. Wonderfoot aka Wonder was there and worked very hard. I did a variety of things to assist in any way possible. Jester.....you did a fantastic job....your momma raised you right. Bag O' Tricks won the heart of every person there with his beautiful Trail stories about Earl, the obstacle course and his sincerity that's involved with everything around him. There were so many there that helped with this, before-during and after.

Thank you so much.

There were people that could not attend.....you were greatly missed. You know who you are.

I am posting photos as soon as possible.

The significance of the feed is fellowship and support. I am CERTAIN this was accomplished.

Marsha
"StarLyte"

Jack Tarlin
07-10-2006, 13:55
The weekend was a great and total success....great folks, great weather, great times.

Thanx to TrailAngel Mary and many of her friends in Duncannon who helped out and welcomed us with open arms, the weekend couldn't have gone better.

We've already been invited back for next year.

And to the folks who slammed us here and elsewhere before the weekend, suggesting that we should cancel the event or that we were taking a horrible risk in going forth with it......well, gee whiz, I'm sure you're real disappointed it went so well, but you said some awfully dumb things about us here and elsewhere a few weeks ago. While I don't expect any of you to acknowledge you were wrong or apologize for uncalled for, unwanted, and untrue things, but next time around, is it asking too much if you simply shut the hell up and say nothing?

Unless, of course, you enjoy looking like horse's asses, in which case you're welcome to carry on with your comments.

StarLyte
07-10-2006, 14:28
My photos are up from the Billville Hiker Feed......
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=661&userid=

Marsha
"StarLyte"

attroll
07-12-2006, 00:39
My photos are up from the Billville Hiker Feed......
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=661&userid=

Marsha
"StarLyte"

Yes and as usual they are great photos. Thank you Marsha.

trailangelmary
07-12-2006, 03:22
I could just let the issue go, but that is hard for me. So I would like to address the issue of criticism of our event. I hope then I can let it go, and move on with a positive attitude toward all of the trail community.
Before the event, Billville received criticism from members of White Blaze and trail officials verbally first hand.
Every person who had criticism, that I know of, was not at last year's event and also did not attend this year's event.
I am not totally positive of the definition of Fiasco in the dictionary, however the Billville members were using it lightheartedly as meaning FUN!! Although others like to view Fiasco and Billville negatively, that was not the intent of the word fiasco. The "Fiasco" part of the event this year was the obstacle course. And IT WAS A LOT OF FUN!! It was enjoyed tremendously by all the participants and all that just watched; and that included all the attendees of the Billville hiker feed. It was fun, entertaining, creative and I giggled the entire time I filmed it.
I commend all the members of the class of 2006, who made the event enjoyable and stress free. Although, the majority of the 2006 attendees enjoy adult beverages, they did so socially rather than as power drinkers. The times at the establishments in town where hikers and contributors and supporters of the Billville event engaged in social drinking were problem and stress free for all.
I would also like to commend and thank the class of 2006, who were a group of hiker family who enjoyed and participated in all kinds of activities at the park. One was the organized event of the obstacle course but there were also many more that happened because they wanted to be active and socialize. The Class of 2006 started their own games of ultimate frisbee, four square, tennis, sand volleyball along with partiipating in the Billville planned events of the Obstacle course and Karoake.
As far as those who want to criticize any description of the obstacle course that appeared previously in this thread, you must have forgotten to get in line when God handed out a sense of humor!! Yes, there was banjo music included in the obstacle course and it was not downgrading anyone. (Thank you to Dude and Uncle Silly for the music.) It was merely placed in the obstacle course where it was appropriate and fun. The same applies to the squelling like a pig. No one at the event criticized either. It was just a fun part of a fun event!
In closing, I would like to say this to all those who criticize Billville and their events, LIGHTEN UP and HAVE SOME FUN!:welcome

neighbor dave
07-12-2006, 05:27
yeah!!!!! trail angel mary!!!! say hi to peace frog for me and chickety. what you did for us in duncannon we will never forget!!!:welcome :sun

fishinfred
07-12-2006, 10:21
Great pics "Starlyte" ,thanks for sharing ! Now I really am bummed I couldnt make it.
Maybe next year.... Oh ...wheres that Uncle Silly playin Banjo???
A very talented musician that one!
See ya at the Gathering for sure !
Peace!
Fishinfred

StarLyte
07-12-2006, 10:36
Great pics "Starlyte" ,thanks for sharing ! Now I really am bummed I couldnt make it.
Maybe next year.... Oh ...wheres that Uncle Silly playin Banjo???
A very talented musician that one!
See ya at the Gathering for sure !
Peace!
Fishinfred

Thank you Fishinfred!

I made several attempts to get photos of him at the Feed but none came out good, I did however get photos of him at TDz as you already know. The Dude was standing next to him a lot and I got a good shot of him does that count? ha ha

Yes, I will see you at the Gathering and I'd like to make sure we connect this time okay?

I am also posting these photos on backcountry.net and will announce that link soon as there are other albums that I am posting there as well. They lost several servers on that site so my albums were erased up to Dec. 2005. I am uploading everything now and it will take a while, but I have recently found additional photos from hiker events that I'm posting too. Don't ask ;)

StarLyte

Newb
07-12-2006, 11:33
Wow. Wish I had been there. Why did I think it was this coming weekend?

Oh well.

bfitz
07-12-2006, 23:39
What a great time! I didn't get back until this morning around 2:30 am...had to do my part finishing up the leftovers in Mary's refrigerator. What a lady, she worked nonstop all weekend, and went straight to double shifts (one at each job) the next day. Pat and Vicki and everyone at the Doyle (Sarah was very tolerant....) are awesome! Sue Grace channels Janis Joplin like no other! The Band was freakin' phenomenal!!!! Met many awesome new people!! I can't wait until next year! Hike faster, I hear banjo music comin' from Duncannon!!! Whoooooohooooooooooo!!!

StarLyte
07-13-2006, 12:47
Hello everyone.....

As you know backcountry.net experienced a technical loss which wiped out a few things and some important photo albums up to December 2005. I was able to replace my albums and have just finished uploading photos and captions for the Billville Hiker Feed 2006. The photos are great and the event was AWESOME. Check it out:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/

It's the first album of course ! Enjoy !

Marsha
"StarLyte"

fishinfred
07-13-2006, 22:50
Ahh more great pics ! Now I'm really REALLY bummed I didn't make it .
Thanks for sharing all the pics .They're great!
PEACE
Fishinfred

Uncle Silly
07-17-2006, 15:59
Hike faster, I hear banjo music comin' from Duncannon!!! Whoooooohooooooooooo!!!

Yeah, I had so much fun with that banjo while in PA. I had to stop in Harper's Ferry on my way home to buy one of those t-shirts from Laura. I think I'm about 2 steps away from finding a good banjo instructor around here... y'all beware, next year we might bring up a whole bluegrass band!

--U.S.

bfitz
07-17-2006, 18:06
Yeah, I had so much fun with that banjo while in PA. I had to stop in Harper's Ferry on my way home to buy one of those t-shirts from Laura. I think I'm about 2 steps away from finding a good banjo instructor around here... y'all beware, next year we might bring up a whole bluegrass band!

--U.S.
Yeah, man...had a blast jammin with you Uncle Silly! You rock!
-D

TJ aka Teej
07-17-2006, 22:41
"Billville received criticism from members of White Blaze and trail officials verbally first hand."

Many thanks, and sincere congrats, to all who helped put on this great event for the AT community. One question : "Trail officials"? Who?

Alligator
07-17-2006, 22:57
...One question : "Trail officials"? Who?I thought I saw an ATT van prowling around, but maybe I got the last letter wrong:-? ? I did make out the plates. They were personal plates, NC, and the plate read ENTIRE.

trailangelmary
07-18-2006, 16:14
Many thanks, and sincere congrats, to all who helped put on this great event for the AT community. One question : "Trail officials"? Who?

I received the information second hand
(from a former thru-hiker that rode with a Duncannon townie/trail friend to Boiling Springs to look for hikers that might want to come to the feed)
but it is a good source as far as I am concerned.

I was told that the AT Official in Boiling Springs said that these drunken fiasco's that Billville has are giving the trail a bad name. That is one part of the conversation as told to me.

That explains some of the things that I refer to in my entry on this thread.
I am at present not happy with the ATC because of this and other issues about trail magic on the trail which I will not get into here. You may receive an email later about that though.

I am speaking on my own not representing Billville. Not all of the Billville members agree with the way I am now and in the future plan to "battle" with the ATC and some of it's trail clubs.

MOWGLI
07-18-2006, 16:27
Mary:

I applaud your efforts to help hikers. I would encourage you not to "battle" with ATC. They have a hard enough time protecting the trail as it is. After all. It is the trail that is most important.

One suggestion. The power of example is mighty. Considering the tragedy that occurred last year, perhaps it would be wise to make sure that none of the organizers drink to the point of intoxication at future events. If that's not possible with the Doyle being in town, maybe you should give some thought to relocating the festivities. That would IMO go a long way to addressing the concerns of the ATC.

And for all I know, that was the case this year. Because I wasn't there. It sounded like a fun & safe event.

Happy Trails

bfitz
07-18-2006, 19:30
...One suggestion. The power of example is mighty. Considering the tragedy that occurred last year, perhaps it would be wise to make sure that none of the organizers drink to the point of intoxication at future events. If that's not possible with the Doyle being in town, maybe you should give some thought to relocating the festivities...
The town of Duncannon is gracious enough to host, and is an integral part of the event. Relocating is not only ridiculous, but rude.

I think Mary is offended by the fact that trail officials, for what appear to be arbitrary personal reasons, feel the need to steal coolers, water jugs and other items left for hikers. Even going so far as to remove a water container that had been nailed down calling it litter. Now, if gallon jugs are left in the same place, when they are emptied the wind will blow them around and they would become litter. This is one example. Leaving a cooler at the trail head is very common in other jurisdictions and no "official" comes and steals the stuff, not to mention badmouthing an official town-hosted trail event. Duncannon is every bit as much a trail town as Damascus, and deserves the right to throw a party in celebration of hikers, as does the Doyle hotel which is one of the best and quirkiest places on the trail.

Taking the oppurtunity to slime the town of Duncannon or the Doyle Hotel or anyone else's proclivities for the tragedy that occurred is pretty low. Many lessons can be learned from such a tragedy, but slinging blame around (even or especially in the subtle way it was just done in the last post...) does nothing to encourage learning them. We all take personal responsibility for our own actions and ought to watch out for eachother. Period. Blaming the Doyle or someone else's drinking or the party itself is pure BS and everyone knows it. Doing battle with the ATC is probably a bad idea, but them waging a campaign against the hiker feed or the town of Duncannon is just as bad an idea and a lot meaner.

Dances with Mice
07-18-2006, 19:32
... I applaud your efforts to help hikers. I would encourage you not to "battle" with ATC. They have a hard enough time protecting the trail as it is. ... And getting the hell out of Lebanon. (http://www.wmtw.com/news/9532938/detail.html)

MOWGLI
07-18-2006, 19:46
Taking the oppurtunity to slime the town of Duncannon or the Doyle Hotel or anyone else's proclivities for the tragedy that occurred is pretty low.

Who did that?

bfitz
07-18-2006, 19:54
Considering the tragedy that occurred last year, perhaps it would be wise to make sure that none of the organizers drink to the point of intoxication at future events. If that's not possible with the Doyle being in town......

You did, and you know it.

The comment is mild but the implications are downright nasty and mean spirited.

ed bell
07-18-2006, 20:08
And getting the hell out of Lebanon. (http://www.wmtw.com/news/9532938/detail.html)Sometimes world reality jumps out at you and reminds you about how good your life has been. God bless our troops abroad, and Peace in the Middle East is/has been a losing proposition. Hopefully that changes. I am thankful we have the freedom to congregate in celebration of the things we hold dear. More power to the hikers! That was my attempt to stay on topic.

bfitz
07-18-2006, 20:15
Sometimes world reality jumps out at you and reminds you about how good your life has been. God bless our troops abroad, and Peace in the Middle East is/has been a losing proposition. Hopefully that changes. I am thankful we have the freedom to congregate in celebration of the things we hold dear. More power to the hikers! That was my attempt to stay on topic.
Hear, hear!

MOWGLI
07-18-2006, 20:25
You did, and you know it.

The comment is mild but the implications are downright nasty and mean spirited.

Bfitz. You're an idjit.

ed bell
07-18-2006, 20:28
I think Mary is offended by the fact that trail officials, for what appear to be arbitrary personal reasons, feel the need to steal coolers, water jugs and other items left for hikers. Even going so far as to remove a water container that had been nailed down calling it litter. Now, if gallon jugs are left in the same place, when they are emptied the wind will blow them around and they would become litter. This is one example. Leaving a cooler at the trail head is very common in other jurisdictions and no "official" comes and steals the stuff, not to mention badmouthing an official town-hosted trail event. Is this being done by someone involved with a maintenance club or by club officials? Is the ATC involved at all? Intersting post bfitz, sounds like a lack of communication between AT community members/hikers/maintainers/trail officials about what constitutes goodwill and what constitutes trash.

bfitz
07-18-2006, 20:52
Bfitz. You're an idjit.
Nope, and I didn't call you one, either....Okay, you explain yourself then. Specifically, explain the elements of your comments that I highlight in boldface...

Considering the tragedy that occurred last year, perhaps it would be wise to make sure that none of the organizers drink to the point of intoxication at future events. If that's not possible with the Doyle being in town, maybe you should give some thought to relocating the festivitiesPerhaps your words just weren't carefully considered and you'd like to retract or apologize?

Is this being done by someone involved with a maintenance club or by club officials? Is the ATC involved at all? Intersting post bfitz, sounds like a lack of communication between AT community members/hikers/maintainers/trail officials about what constitutes goodwill and what constitutes trash.
I'm not sure whose involved, but Mary communicated with someone after her stuff was taken and she can tell us what they said, but it sounded to me like they said they would take it again....

MOWGLI
07-18-2006, 21:32
....Okay, you explain yourself then.

The organizers of any public gathering have a responsibility to act responsibly. As I stated in my post, for all I know they did. In fact, I assumed that was the case. Read my prior posts if you don't believe me. The weekend seemed to get rave reviews. But then a week or so later - the ATC becomes a target. That's unfortunate.

But lets think about this in the context of non-trail life. I invite the hiking community to a party at my house. I don't serve any alcohol, but down the street, there's a well known establishment that does. Early in the evening, I lead the group down there, and proceed to get drunk. Now, mind you, many of the people who have showed up at my party are 21 & 22 years old (read: trail demographics). And me - the 44 year old host - is setting a poor example for these young folks. That would be wrong. And that is my point.

There were several posts this year stating that this event was not about getting drunk. Mary made one of them - and I applauded her for it. Before the event. Look it up.

It is entirely understandable that the ATC would frown on trail related activities where alcohol is involved. Especially considering the tragedy that occurred last year. And in '03 when a woman was assaulted by a drunk at 4 Pines. And I could go on & on & on. But I won't.

Is it possible to have a fun hiker weekend that doesn't involve intoxication? Gee - I hope so. And that's another point of mine. That's neither mean spirited nor nasty.

All of this is MY own opinion. You don't have to like it, and considering that you've advocated stumbling around high on oxycontin, hauling cases of beers to shelters, and getting stoned - all here on a public forum about the AT - I don't expect you to.

PS: For the record - I have no problem with the responsible consumption of alcohol. I served it at my house in 2000 when I had thru-hikers over for a party. Even though I am a recovering alcoholic for 20+ years. And don't drink myself.

TJ aka Teej
07-18-2006, 21:41
I think Mary is offended by the fact that trail officials, for what appear to be arbitrary personal reasons, feel the need to steal coolers, water jugs and other items left for hikers.

Who are these "trail officials"?

MOWGLI
07-18-2006, 21:42
Who are these "trail officials"?

Sounds like someone in the Boiling Springs office.

TJ aka Teej
07-18-2006, 21:50
I was told that the AT Official in Boiling Springs said that these drunken fiasco's that Billville has are giving the trail a bad name.

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinons, and if the "official" had personal comments that's his/her right. Until Billville gets a reprimand on ATC letterhead just consider "unofficial" comments mere gossip.

bfitz
07-18-2006, 22:16
The organizers of any public gathering have a responsibility to act responsibly. As I stated in my post, for all I know they did. In fact, I assumed that was the case. Read my prior posts if you don't believe me. The weekend seemed to get rave reviews. But then a week or so later - the ATC becomes a target. That's unfortunate.

But lets think about this in the context of non-trail life. I invite the hiking community to a party at my house. I don't serve any alcohol, but down the street, there's a well known establishment that does. Early in the evening, I lead the group down there, and proceed to get drunk. Now, mind you, many of the people who have showed up at my party are 21 & 22 years old (read: trail demographics). And me - the 44 year old host - is setting a poor example for these young folks. That would be wrong. And that is my point.

There were several posts this year stating that this event was not about getting drunk. Mary made one of them - and I applauded her for it. Before the event. Look it up.

It is entirely understandable that the ATC would frown on trail related activities where alcohol is involved. Especially considering the tragedy that occurred last year. And in '03 when a woman was assaulted by a drunk at 4 Pines. And I could go on & on & on. But I won't.

Is it possible to have a fun hiker weekend that doesn't involve intoxication? Gee - I hope so. And that's another point of mine. That's neither mean spirited nor nasty.

All of this is MY own opinion. You don't have to like it, and considering that you've advocated stumbling around high on oxycontin, hauling cases of beers to shelters, and getting stoned - all here on a public forum about the AT - I don't expect you to.

PS: For the record - I have no problem with the responsible consumption of alcohol. I served it at my house in 2000 when I had thru-hikers over for a party. Even though I am a recovering alcoholic for 20+ years. And don't drink myself.

Get off your high horse dude.

Firstly, you imply that to drink is inherently irresponsible, and that to have an event occur in a bar with 21 and 44 year olds simultaneously present represents some type of irresponsibility on the part of the 44 year old. I could go on and point out that with every sentence you imply that the "hosts" (no particular named...perhaps they ALL act irresponsibly...) act irresponsibly if they drink. The fact is, the Band was performing at the bar as bands do and folks have the option to go or not, and while there have the option to drink or not. Fact is, to use your example of non-trail life, people are responsible for their own actions, and drinking is a part of many folks' good time. Just like with fireworks or 4-wheelers, every good time requires responsibility and has its risks. I have a right to my own mistakes, thank you. Your entire post is dripping with insinuation starting with the words "for all I know" in the 2nd sentence.

As far the ATC being a target...that's not the case, mabye some words were chosen poorly, but I think the point is someone with some type of official affiliation has been taking things that Mary leaves at the road for hikers in a way that seems overzealous...that's all. The ATC as a whole is a fantastic organisation, I'm sure Mary would agree.

MOWGLI
07-18-2006, 22:23
Bfitz. You're an idjit.

bfitz
07-18-2006, 22:40
Your cueball's made of styrofoam, and I ain't got the time....

max patch
07-18-2006, 22:51
I've said it before and I'll say it again....Having a hiker feed in a town famous for large quantities of cheap alcohol is just plain stupid. Its a receipe for disaster.

trailangelmary
07-19-2006, 00:10
I did not intend for a raging battle to ensue here as a result of my answering the question about what trail official spoke negatively about the Billville Feed.

However, I would like to say a few things about what has jerked my chain concerning the most recent entries.

I believe that some of the statements are unwarranted without knowledge of what really happens at Billville events. For your information, Billville members do not get "to the point of intoxication" while sponsoring the event at the park. There is always a Billville member at the park in Duncannon even after all the events at the park are over for the day. That Billvillian is keeping an eye on things at the park. Billville members do go to the Doyle Hotel on Friday and Saturday evening to drink socially. And while drinking socially we do have the opportunity to socialize and get to know the class of 2006 who are drinking socially and dancing and having a great time. I think it is sad that because the drinks are cheap at the Doyle that has become associated with overindulging by trail related people. The tragedy last year was in fact a tragedy. It may have involved overindulging. That is not the fault of any Billville member or owner or employee of the Doyle Hotel.
Thank you, Mowgli for your recommendation on dealing with the ATC. I will take it under consideration while I plan my options.
I spoke with the Borough Officals (Borough President and Chief of Police) before, during and after the event as did other key Billville members. There were absolutley no problems created by anyone attending the feed. WE HAVE BEEN INVITED BACK TO USE THE FACILITES AT THE PARK AGAIN NEXT YEAR ALREADY. THAT HAPPENED BEFORE WE LEFT ON SUNDAY.
I think it is apparent that everyone had a great time at this year's feed. And, as I stated before, we were blessed to have a great group of hikers that caused no problems.

When I mentioned battling with the ATC I may have chosen a bad choice of words. That is the reason I put "battling" in paranthesis. I am not looking for a battle. But I do have some things to work out with the ATC and local trail clubs.

As I write, I am deciding how public I want to make the issue with which I am dealing. I do not want to alienate the ATC. We have worked well together in the past. However, I will say this. Someone, the ATC and/or because of local trail clubs has given me a challenging situation about the magic I leave on the trail. I hope to work it out before next hiking season. I do not know at present if this is happening throughout the trail or if it is a local issue.

Many hikers of the class of 2006 and other Billville members know about it as I have been getting imput from them. I will sleep on it tonight and decide if I will start a thread about it. I hesitate because I do not enjoy the name calling and argumentative entries. I would be willing to read constructive suggestions from those who have more direct experience about this sort of thing than me.
:cool:

bfitz
07-19-2006, 00:53
Sorry, Mary. Well said.

Dust
07-19-2006, 01:17
Hiker feed. Sounds like roaches on welfare.

MOWGLI
07-19-2006, 04:29
Thank you, Mowgli for your recommendation on dealing with the ATC. I will take it under consideration while I plan my options.

You're welcome Mary. I certainly didn't mean to malign you or the organizers of the fest with my comments. I hope you can work things out with ATC.

Good retort Bfitz! :sun

Lone Wolf
07-19-2006, 07:14
Walking the AT used to be so easy and uncomplicated. Now the so-called "community" is loaded with drama. Too many hiker feeeds and too many hostels fighting each other for hikers attention. Buncha BS if you ask me. :)

neighbor dave
07-19-2006, 07:30
Walking the AT used to be so easy and uncomplicated. Now the so-called "community" is loaded with drama. Too many hiker feeeds and too many hostels fighting each other for hikers attention. Buncha BS if you ask me. :)

and admit that the waters have grown, and if you don't start swimmin' you'll sink like a stone... for the times they are a changin'!!:D ;) :D
p.s. i agree wid Senior L. Wuff

StarLyte
07-19-2006, 11:34
Mary..... Mary
Quite....... Contrary
.....why do you worry so?

from the hills....
and mills......
from hikers
and Bills

we say Mary Mary......
don't fret 'bout this