PDA

View Full Version : Boots or Shoes

View
06-17-2006, 12:04
I am 6 foot 4 and about 200 lbs and I have been thinking about trail runners / hiking shoes, but I am not sure about how pack weight factors in. Here is the questions - At what pack weight do you think that I could wear trail runners / hiking shoes and not feel a huge change from boots? There might not be an answer, but let me know what you use (foot wear) and what your fully loaded (5-7 days food, water, clothing, everything) pack weight is. This might help me decide.

Just Jeff
06-17-2006, 12:16
I usually carry ~30 lbs and wear Hi-Tec boots. They're more like high-top trail runners than "boots", though. They're cheap, but they fit my feet better than all the expensive ones I tried on. And since they're not heavy duty or anything, they're much lighter than most boots.

I've hiked in some cheap old running shoes and they weren't very comfortable - trial runners probably have better support.

Stay away from air-supported running shoes - they support better than the cheap pair I tried, but the air bladders tend to pop.

hammock engineer
06-17-2006, 12:23
I am 6'4" and 215, I use new balances and really like them. I haven't had any problems with them with my pack weight in the mid 20's to 30 lbs.

I have only used them for a couple days, but I do not think I would have any problems with daily hiking.

vaporjourney
06-26-2006, 10:27
I've also been planning on using trail running shoes on the trail, which is what i usually do for weekend trips. I have been curious about how they hold up in the rain though. If you're hiking through a few 3 day rainfalls, I wonder if they start to fall apart or lose support?

Spock
06-26-2006, 10:53
I've been using trail runners and athletic shoes for about 20 years of backpacking now. I'm 6'2" and 200#. For several months, I've experimented with Nike Free Trails for backpacking and I'm converted.

They are more like moccasins than structured athletic shoes. There is no arch support or rigid shank. My balance has improved radically, my feet have gotten both stronger and shorter as my arches have been restored. (My feet were formerly flat, 13+. They are now 12.5.) My stride is longer and I hike at least 1/2 mph faster. The only discomfort I have had was initial soreness in my calfes because they worked harder. Nike advises using these occasionally to strengthen the feet, but not all the time. They are underselling a radically good product. BTW, they improve regularity, eliminate hemroids, hallitosis and the heartbreak of psoriasis, restore male sexual performance and cure nearsightedness. Other than that, they are OK.

The Solemates
06-26-2006, 11:08
I typically use a mid-cut trail runner type shoe (I just purchase a pair of Merrell Ventilators a few months ago). These types of shoes work best for me and I am 6'4", 215lbs and typically carry around 25 lbs for a long weekend trip. But shoes are a personal thing....

Amigi'sLastStand
06-26-2006, 11:19
I wear trail running style shoes, waterproofed, with gel inserts. My pack weight is around 35 lbs with 5 days and full water. I looked at a lot of shoes, and one thing I recommend is to make sure they have a stiff or strong sole. There are a lot of rocks on the northern half of the trail, and soft soled runners will kill your feet.

Ridge
06-26-2006, 11:58
I believe you would come out cheaper with good leather boots. I chose boots because of bad ankles.

Skidsteer
06-26-2006, 18:23
I'll echo Just Jeff on the Hi-Tecs. My size 12 V-Lites weigh 2 lbs 10 oz for the pair. I'm 6'1", 200 lbs; packweight 25-35 lbs.

Next pair I buy I'll try to find them without Sympa-Tex.

gumball
06-26-2006, 21:47
I am a recent convert to trail runners and will not return to boots unless its very cold, ie snowing. Its like having wings!!!! :) Seriously, I am 5"4" and 118 lbs, and generally pack in under or right at 30 lbs with food and water. I wouldn't want to go over this, not just b/c of the shoes but b/c that's what my pack is designed to carry comfortably (and it does--I don't like to push my luck).

On the note about hiking in the rain, I followed the advice of someone here--you're feet are going to get wet. Just get used to the idea and you'll be fine. That's working for me, and its been my experience so far that my socks and liners dry out really fast. I bought a very thin liner by Nike ("anti-blister") that has worked very well for me, too.

My feet sweat anyways--at least this way they breathe and dry out. I wear Adidas Response Trail right now, only b/c Adidas shoes fit me well AND I found a great deal at the outlet mall. Once I found out the pair I had experimentally bought for $25 worked like a dream, I stocked up and bought three more pairs.

dloome
06-28-2006, 17:30
I hike in New Balance 83's and wouldn't wear anything else.
My pack with 5 days of food and a liter of water is usually around 20-22 pounds. I am 5'9" and weigh 140.

My thoughts are that you don't need ankle support, you need stronger ankles. I think if you did some training hikes and gradually got used to hiking with heavier loads in trail runners you would be fine. One down side- since you weigh more than the average hiker, you likely wouldn't get as many miles out of a pair of lighter runners than I probably would since your body weight would stress the shoes significantly more, but in most cases I find boots to be unnecessary.