PDA

View Full Version : Extra Eyeglasses?

mister pooh
06-17-2006, 19:45
I'm about nearsighted as a bat (if that is a good way to play with an old cliche), and I'm wondering from those who have been "thru" it in the same situation. Did you carry your spare eyeglasses with you, or did you bounce box them? Any horror stories of the near blind wandering for days, squinting mole-like at the world? Just to let you know, my uncorrected vision is about 20/350.

Thanks.

hikerjohnd
06-17-2006, 21:10
I have logged several hundred miles and while I do not know my vision (20/???) my Rx is a -8 and -9. My glasses are so thick, I can see the future. Anyway - long ago I invested in the flexall frames and have worn the same style ever since. The advantage being that they can get knocked around and will not break (and they have received a beating!) If you are concerned about losing them in a fall or whatever - try a strap or leash. I do not think a second pair of glasses is necessary.

K0OPG
06-18-2006, 08:54
I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about getting some "sport glasses" to wear on the trail and have my regular glasses for town wear so I don't look like an NBA wannabe.

I look forward to hearing what others say.

Doctari
06-18-2006, 15:33
I "only" need my glasses to read, but I NEED them to read, almost anything. In poor light, I can't see enough to read trail signs, even with 2" letters. But as I need them only to read, and get dizzy if I walk with them on, I am always putting them down, as I am always putting them down, I loose the da** things, alot.

So, I carry a spare pair, and have enough at home for at least 1 per mail drop and a few extras so home base can send a pair in emergency.

It's really funny, or so I hear, to watch me try to dial a phone without my reading glasses. I usually spend the $$$ & hit 0 & have the operator dial for me. Of course, 0 3 6 8 & 9 all look alike with no glasses, I'm happy that 0 is usually on the bottom between * & #

ME; Honey, can you send a few pairs of glasses to me? Her: sure, where to? Me: I have no idea, can't read the sign. Hey, anyone know where we are????!?!?

Doctari.

V8
06-18-2006, 16:16
I carry a spare pair in a molded plastic case, high-vis yellow, since I can't see the ground at my feet without them - not a problem in town, but would slow things down to a crawl mighty quickly if I broke my glasses. Not a likely event, but the few ounces of the extra specs would could make ALL the difference in being able to continue the hike.

Just Jeff
06-18-2006, 18:16
Yep - I wear contacts, but on anything more than an overnighter I bring my glasses as backup. I've had strong winds blow out my contacts before, so I always have an extra pair in the pack and usually my glasses.

I could probably make it out of somewhere w/o them, but it wouldn't be fun. If you couldn't hike out w/o them, it's a no-brainer.

hikerjohnd
06-18-2006, 19:19
Yep - I wear contacts, but on anything more than an overnighter I bring my glasses as backup. I've had strong winds blow out my contacts before, so I always have an extra pair in the pack and usually my glasses.

Definitely agree if you wear contacts it is an excellent idea to have spare pair of specs. I can not count the number of times friends with contacts have lost one or both while hiking/camping.

Marta
06-18-2006, 19:51
On my most recent weekend trip (Memorial Day weekend) a thru-hiker at Abingdon Gap Shelter had a screw drop out of his glasses about 9:30 Sunday night. He had neither spare glasses, screws, or tiny screwdriver. He is nearsighted enough that walking without his glasses would have been a problem. Several of us gathered our stuff and tried to put the screw back in by headlamplight. Eventually the screw flew off into the dirt, never to be seen again. In the morning, I gave the hiker some dental floss and he was able to sew the frame together, holding the lens in.

Spare glasses are a good idea.

rumbler
06-24-2006, 18:18
I feel more comfortable with a spare set when I hike. However, I use prescription sunglasses as my back-up for more flexibility. Dark as hell at night, but when I am down to my back-up I don't nighthike.

Mouse
06-24-2006, 19:36
I carried a spare pair in a hard case through the Smokys then they migrated to my bounce box and stayed there the rest of my thruhike.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-24-2006, 21:01
I wear contacts and have a spare pair in my first aid kit. I can't see well enough to walk without them.

johnny quest
06-27-2006, 11:11
i carry a spare pair now. here's a true-life-adventure why:
it was a hot humid day and i was bushwacking thru a park here in texas. i came to a stream i needed to cross. i took a running jump and made it but when i came to a stop my sweaty glasses kept going! suddenly i was kneedeep in grass and brush, blind as a bat with no idea where my glasses were. 20 minutes of very deliberate searching found them but after thanking God i realized that something had to be done to make sure that never happened again! now i wear a strap when hiking and carry an extra pair. damn the weight.

eyewall
06-29-2006, 22:30
I'll have two pair, one standard, one sunglasses, both to my perscription. If you see a guy wearing aviation shades at night, its ME!

gumball
06-30-2006, 05:27
I'm blind as a bat, too. I carry my glasses for evening wear, but I buy a box of disposable contacts, which lasts me quite awhile and which I don't think are too expensive. I toss 'em at night (packed out!!!), use my glasses around camp, and throw a new pair in every day. Really not that much extra weight, and I am not sticking anything dirty into my eyes every morning.

Spock
06-30-2006, 18:37
If Ken Knight who is almost nearly completely blind can cover ground like a small, busy bear despite not being able to see the blazes, anyone should be able make it a few days to the next town if the eyeglasses disappear for some reason. Being in the same boat as you and prudent, I think one extra pair of specially made, small-lensed glasses with light plastic frames is a good idea for backup. Any optical shop can fix you up.

carolinahiker
06-30-2006, 22:24
Well i always carry a spare pair ive never used em they are army birth control glasses i had new for middle age eyes lenses put in them and i carry a glasses repair kit again never used it but it would be foolish to not have it and need it then need it and not have it lol.