PDA

View Full Version : McAfee

View
06-17-2006, 22:03
Does anyone know of a campsite near McAfee? I would like to start a hike in the afternoon, camp somewhere near McAfee, and then hike out the next day. The mileage in and out is very low and I am hoping there will be somewhere to camp not tooooo far away.

momalley
06-18-2006, 01:27
Do you mean McAfee Knob in Virginia? If so there is a campsite 1.25 miles south and a shelter .7 miles north. If you would like a screen shot of the map for that area let me know. Also if you need shuttle let me know, I'll be in the area finishing up summer classes for the next two weeks.

View
06-18-2006, 09:51
Do you mean McAfee Knob in Virginia? If so there is a campsite 1.25 miles south and a shelter .7 miles north. If you would like a screen shot of the map for that area let me know. Also if you need shuttle let me know, I'll be in the area finishing up summer classes for the next two weeks.

Great - thanks for the info and for the offer of a ride. A friend and myself are going to be hiking in Shenandoah for 5 days and I thought that McAfee would be close enough to drive over and see for a day.

Kerosene
06-18-2006, 11:13
The shelter north of McAfee Knob is Campbells Shelter, and there is a nice campsite on the hill just above (trail south) of the shelter. Nice place to camp if you want to see the sunset or sunrise.