PDA

View Full Version : Rope

Peanut
06-17-2006, 23:09
Hello! What kind of rope do you guys bring with you, specifically for bear bagging...what seems to last well, and isn't too heavy? Any suggestions of kinds as well as where you get it from? Thanks!

Peaks
06-18-2006, 07:04
I carry about 50 feet of parachute cord.

Some carry thinner line, but I suspect it may damage the bark on trees when used to hoist up food bags.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-18-2006, 07:21
We rarely bear-bag, but use parachute cord when we do.

Fiddler
06-18-2006, 09:47
I carry parachute cord also. I also do not strip put the inner core to save another half ounce or so like some do, the small inner strands can be used for a lot of things like sewing, ( got to have a needle with a large eye) temporary shoe lace, hanging smaller things, lots of uses for the small core strands. Agree that 50 feet should be plenty.

Peanut
06-18-2006, 11:41
Thanks!! Where do you find parachute cord?

Footslogger
06-18-2006, 12:28
Carried parachute cord for years until I discovered this stuff.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aircore_pro_ursalite_bear_bag_hanging_cord.html

No doubt more expensive than the jump cord but it's much lighter and doesn't tangle with itself or on tree limbs.

Out west here we carry 2 - 50' lengths of the stuff cuz trees tend to be further apart and are mostly evergreens and lack suitable branches for a single line bear bag.

'Slogger

Amigi'sLastStand
06-23-2006, 16:36
$25 for rope!!!! Paracord does fine by me for $3.99. I still have the same para cord for bear bagging that I bought in 93-94. I keep it wrapped around my spare tent peg. But if ya got the $$$ go for it I guess.