PDA

View Full Version : Superfeet life

Marta
06-18-2006, 07:04
I've got a couple of pairs of Superfeet that are over a year old. The shoes they are in are worn out, but the Superfeet still look okay. How long do Superfeet last? Should I keep using them until they have obvious defects?

Marta

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-18-2006, 07:19
My feet let me know when it is time to replace mine.

This info comes from the Superfeet website: (http://www.superfeet.com/content/facts.html)
Q. How long will the Superfeet insoles last with everyday wear?

A. For 80% of consumers, the insoles will last approximately 12 months depending on body weight, type of shoe and the environment they are used in (i.e. walking, running, work and sports). Because everyone is different, we can not indicate how many miles it will take to wear a pair out. We recommend replacing your insoles every 12 months or when you purchase new shoes.

Q. How do I know I need a new pair of Superfeet Insoles?

A. If the top cover has worn through or the foam in the forefoot area has packed out or become paper thin. The product will still provide you some support so we recommend to use the old pair in shoes being worn while doing yard work or washing the car.

Footslogger
06-18-2006, 09:10
I went through SuperFeet University back when I worked at REI. There's really no absolute answer to your question. The bottom line is that when they no longer FEEL like they are providing support or stabilizing your heel when you plant and push off it's probably time to invest in a new set.

Like you ...I have about 4 - 5 pairs, one of which is the brown "custom" SuperFeet footbeds. I rotate them in my different trail shoes/boots to even out the wear but one set is starting to show the signs of mileage. When they start to get old I transfer them to an older "day-to-day" pair of trail shoes I wear around town and save the better ones for when I'm actually on a trail and carrying a pack.

'Slogger

sliderule
06-18-2006, 10:15
One of the best things that I have done for my feet was to through my Superfeet insoles in the trash. Replaced them with Shock Doctor insoles. What an improvement!!! For me, the Superfeet insoles were causing more problems than they solved. They seemed to provide too much heel elevation, causing plantar fasciiitis.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-18-2006, 10:32
Sliderule, which type of Shock Doctor's do you use for hiking?

sliderule
06-18-2006, 10:52
Sliderule, which type of Shock Doctor's do you use for hiking?
The type that I bought last year are no longer made, apparently. But they are similar to the new Ultra Arch-Adjust Insole.

Footslogger
06-18-2006, 12:32
One of the best things that I have done for my feet was to through my Superfeet insoles in the trash. Replaced them with Shock Doctor insoles. What an improvement!!! For me, the Superfeet insoles were causing more problems than they solved. They seemed to provide too much heel elevation, causing plantar fasciiitis.
========================================
Excellent point and a valid proof statement that no single foodbed style is right for everyone. SuperFeet do work but they are not correct for all feet/hikers. The principle behind SuperFeet is to stabilize the heel and support the arch for a solid push off and stride. They are NOT desinged to cushion the feet. The heel cup applies gentle inward pressure on the heel pad, which in a lot of cases is all the padding a hiker needs.

For every satisfied SuperFeet user there are probably at least that many happy Spenco or Shock Doctor users.

Try them all and decide for yourself ...

'Slogger

max patch
06-18-2006, 12:41
I asked a guy at rei that question; he said when they get little cracks in them. He then looked at my Superfeet and said "like that".

sliderule
06-18-2006, 14:00
I've got a couple of pairs of Superfeet that are over a year old. The shoes they are in are worn out, but the Superfeet still look okay. How long do Superfeet last? Should I keep using them until they have obvious defects?

Marta
Here is an answer straight from the horses mouth:
http://www.superfeet.com/content/facts.html